ADVERTISEMENT

Juwan Howard Michigan Coach

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
Media reports indicate Juwan Morgan to Michigan is a done deal. Pretty shocked about this hire.

Not shocked, I thought it could be Juwan Howard. Working for Memphis, so far.

IU was a total idiot to not go after Witman after MD, then after, Sampson.

maybe even after Crean.

way more upside than Penny or JH.

Ben Davis grad, college AA, NCAA champ ring, solid NBA career, NBA head coach, played or coached under a who's who of basketball, and no doubt close ties to most NBA GMs.

not hiring RW after both Davis and Sampson, is IU's greatest coaching hire blunder ever.

Great hire. Big name, will recruit well, and I’m sure he’s a good coach.

You need to do some more research.

Maybe based on the fact that he was an All American in college, a NBA All Star, 2x NBA champion, and has coached several years as an assistant in the NBA.
Everything but being an assistant on an NBA team has SQUAT to do with how good of a coach he is/will be. Usual CDK hyperbole.

Reactions: Indianaftw
I think they should have gone with Terry Mills head coach and Antoine Jobert as associate head coach. Then Howard, Louis Bullock as assistants and Darius Morris as Director of Basketball Operations.

What a joke.

Reactions: glidresquirrel
I will be the first to say this is a horrible hire no coaching experience. Should of hired someone with a proven background..
I don't think he is a great hire I just think he will get to 50 players based on his name. Coaching is a different matter.

Reactions: cryano
Ahem, Mike Davis is just next door at Detroit Mercy. Maybe that option would have been a better invitation to Ann Arbor. Probably under the radar.

To be honest how many kids these days remember the Fab Five or Penny Hardaway to me its the AAU connections and the slight of hand.

Reactions: mk23
Can we agree that he’s better than Archie at least?
As an NBA assistant, yes. He has that experience.

He has ZERO college experience, with ZERO head coaching experience. Could he turn out better? It’s possible - just as it’s possible the lack of coaching experience at this level could cause him to fall on his ass.

To say he is a good coach at this point is no different than saying Archie is a bad coach. Time will tell.

You need to do some more research.

Maybe based on the fact that he was an All American in college, a NBA All Star, 2x NBA champion, and has coached several years as an assistant in the NBA.

LAUGH OUT EFFING LOUD!!!!

Chris Mullin was 10x the basketball player that Juwan Howard was and he couldn’t coach a lick. Being good at basketball doesn’t translate to being a good coach. There’s nothing that indicates Juwan Howard will be anything but a decent recruiter. Such an underwhelming hire.

Taking one from your page, let the adults handle this one.

Not shocked, I thought it could be Juwan Howard. Working for Memphis, so far.

Penny and Howard are nowhere near similar other than the fact that they’re at their Alma Maters. Penny embodies the city of Memphis which is needed for that job. Memphis athletics appeals solely to the residents of the city and Penny is the face of that city when it comes to basketball.

Juwan Howard is from Chicago and spent all of 2 years in Michigan. He’s not beloved around the city of Detroit and Michigan is a national brand with a huge alumni network. Michigan doesn’t need a recruiter, Michigan needs an X’s and O’s guy (see John Beilein). Michigan has been burned in the past seeking a “Michigan Man” (Brady Hoke) and are on the hook with another in Harbaugh.

WTH are you smoking? What possible basis would there be for that? Has he even won A GAME? Has he been to an NCAA? Has he been to a regional final? Coaching, his playing has nothing to do with it and not like he was some real high BBall IQ player when he played
Howard hasn’t been given a chance yet. We know Archie has failed. We don’t know what Howard will do. Therefore I think it’s safe to say he’s better than the known AM.

LAUGH OUT EFFING LOUD!!!!

Chris Mullin was 10x the basketball player that Juwan Howard was and he couldn’t coach a lick. Being good at basketball doesn’t translate to being a good coach. There’s nothing that indicates Juwan Howard will be anything but a decent recruiter. Such an underwhelming hire.

Taking one from your page, let the adults handle this one.
Mullin was at a can’t win job. Michigan is very winnable. Howard has big time credibility.

Mullin was at a can’t win job. Michigan is very winnable. Howard has big time credibility.

Only a can't win job if you're in over your head like Mullin was. St. John's had PLENTY of talent last year in a weak Big East and could only get to the play-in game. Mullin just couldn't coach, simple as that.

Michigan is only a winnable if you can actually coach like Beilein. Somebody that literally has ZERO head coaching experience at any level and has never coached in the college game is going to immensely struggle, let alone in the B10. And how does Howard have credibility? What has he accomplished as a coach?

Penny and Howard are nowhere near similar other than the fact that they’re at their Alma Maters. Penny embodies the city of Memphis which is needed for that job. Memphis athletics appeals solely to the residents of the city and Penny is the face of that city when it comes to basketball.

Juwan Howard is from Chicago and spent all of 2 years in Michigan. He’s not beloved around the city of Detroit and Michigan is a national brand with a huge alumni network. Michigan doesn’t need a recruiter, Michigan needs an X’s and O’s guy (see John Beilein). Michigan has been burned in the past seeking a “Michigan Man” (Brady Hoke) and are on the hook with another in Harbaugh.

Juwan Howard was a a first round draft pick after his junior year. He also graduated from Michigan on schedule.

You can win at St John's (and Georgetown), as Mullin and Ewing proved as players. Ewing went to Georgetown with more NBA experience than Howard has and has yet to do much (34-29 in 2 years). Yes they were better in year 2 that year one, but it is yet to be seen if they were that much better or if it was a result of the league being that much worse.

Howard has big time credibility.

You really expect anyone on here to believe this after posting this? You wouldn't know credibility if it hit you like a two-by-four.

I've been waiting all afternoon to post this because I wanted to be 100% sure. I got a text this morning about it and admittedly I thought it was a rumor at first. I've been waiting to make sure its 100% before posting.
I can say with 100% confidence that Billy and his wife were in Bloomington this morning.
I don't see any scenario where he and his wife come to town and he doesn't take the job. It's happening!!!

Reactions: Rakkasan29
He will do well early with recruiting. A head coach wears many hats besides recruiting. We will have to see how well he can teach whatever system he puts into place and how well he manages every aspect of the program.

We are seeing an experiment in college basketball where celebrity coaches are expected to sustain a program with early recruiting success while they learn how to coach at the college level.

Walter McCarty left Boston to be the head coach at UE. I haven't been impressed so far by his coaching. He was tossed from a game and suspended and fined for criticizing refs. His lack of control on Twitter makes him look like a pervert. In my opinion, he didn't adjust well to the college game in his first year.

The cycle continues at Michigan.
Howard will recruit well.
To be successfull you either have to recruit well, or be a good game coach. If you have both, you can win titles. Howard is a downgrade from Belein. I wonder how much money or perks, vehicles, Howard and The Fab 5 received while playing at Michigan?

Reactions: HoosiersChamps
The cycle continues at Michigan.
Howard will recruit well.
To be successfull you either have to recruit well, or be a good game coach. If you have both, you can win titles. Howard is a downgrade from Belein. I wonder how much money or perks, vehicles, Howard and The Fab 5 received while playing at Michigan?
Yeah i see this as good for IU too.

Reactions: ufo33
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT