ADVERTISEMENT

Juwan Howard Michigan Coach

Expect him to be a big time recruiter. Played in the league so thats all you need

Mullin, Sidney Lowe and Patrick Ewing played in the league, right? What Penny's doing at Memphis is bigger than he and Miller having "played in the league". He setup and mined the AAU ranks and are reaping their short term benefits. Maybe it'll stick, maybe not. Strictly flavor of the month, but I do think it got J Howard a job he otherwise would have never sniffed. Absolutely no reason to think he'll recruit like Penny is, or that he's ready to be a good college coach. Scary hire if I was a UM fan.

Last edited:
Awful hire by Michigan if true. I was expecting a downgrade (duh it's Beilein) but to go from HoF coach to NBA assistant with ZERO head coaching experience is bad. None of the candidates were very strong but in that situation I would have promoted from within, Yaklich may have salvaged a few of their recruits. But Michigan is losing 3/4 best players + top recruit while trying to implement a new system.

IU was in the same position two years ago, but FeeblePaw will give Howard 5 years because.....credibility. Loser.

Truth is nobody knows if this is good or not. I applaud Michigan for taking a chance on one of their guys. It'll be interesting to watch.
I agree with the earlier post regarding Randy Wittman. I'd have tried to get him before Crean and Sampson. Not sure if he had interest and maybe they did try to get him. I have no idea.
I like Archie. I think he gets it done. I like defense.
Go Hoosiers!

I think they should have gone with Terry Mills head coach and Antoine Jobert as associate head coach. Then Howard, Louis Bullock as assistants and Darius Morris as Director of Basketball Operations.

What a joke.
why would howard go from being an nba assistant coach to being a college assistant?

WTH are you smoking? What possible basis would there be for that? Has he even won A GAME? Has he been to an NCAA? Has he been to a regional final? Coaching, his playing has nothing to do with it and not like he was some real high BBall IQ player when he played
He hasn't lost a game as a college head coach. Not. One. Single. Game. Lost.

TIC

you are so right. i remember the good old days of the nba. Krzyzewski leading the fast break, hitting calipari on the wing, then watching cal toss it up to roy williams for a slam dunk. that's why they are the successful coaches they are today

Don't forget Izzo as 6th man... Tommy "The Microwave" Izzo!

I think it's going to be a really tough job in the BIG for Juwan. It's a difficult league as Archie has found out. Plus Belein is a great coach and teacher.

Huge roll of the dice for UM bball. Will be interesting to see who Howard brings in on his staff. Expect UM to start making stronger plays for the talent coming out of Chicago public....which has been a recruiting cesspool for many decades.

Howard would be a great big man coach...he had some of the best post moves of any B1G player I've seen in my life. Too bad for him it's all about shooting 3s in today's game.

Can we agree that he’s better than Archie at least?

You just can't help yourself from being a D#$& can you?

A thread about UM hiring Howard and you turn it into an indictment on Archie.

Focus will you. TIA

Calling coach Izzo “the rape enabler” is slander and highly unjustified. You’re extrapolating from news stories about the entire athletic community at MSU and that one case of a woman raped by three basketball players off-campus. But rape is endemic on the planet; has a home in every culture, sad to say, and the athletic departments are not immune, and that would include our IU, I suppose. There is no magic anti-rape basketball culture.

Calling coach Izzo “the rape enabler” is slander and highly unjustified. You’re extrapolating from news stories about the entire athletic community at MSU and that one case of a woman raped by three basketball players off-campus. But rape is endemic on the planet; has a home in every culture, sad to say, and the athletic departments are not immune, and that would include our IU, I suppose. There is no magic anti-rape basketball culture.
Izzo let a player continue to play that was accused of violent sexual assault. Izzo "enabled" a rapist to play.

Please at least substantiate your accusation. Who, when, etc. news link would be.nice.

Mullin, Sidney Lowe and Patrick Ewing played in the league, right? What Penny's doing at Memphis is bigger than he and Miller having "played in the league". He setup and mined the AAU ranks and are reaping their short term benefits. Maybe it'll stick, maybe not. Strictly flavor of the month, but I do think it got J Howard a job he otherwise would have never sniffed. Absolutely no reason to think he'll recruit like Penny is, or that he's ready to be a good college coach. Scary hire if I was a UM fan.

Also, much of Penny's recruiting success could be attributed to fortuitous timing, with an atypical amount of HS talent in the Memphis area this year. While Penny did pull guys like Achiuwa and Ellis from outside the Memphis area, I don't think those guys commit without Wiseman/Jeffries getting the ball rolling first.

Howard very well may not recruit like Penny. Hell, Penny might not be able to keep recruiting like Penny

Howard hasn’t been given a chance yet. We know Archie has failed. We don’t know what Howard will do. Therefore I think it’s safe to say he’s better than the known AM.

We don’t know anything about Archie’s success or failure yet! Grow up!

You can win at St John's (and Georgetown), as Mullin and Ewing proved as players. Ewing went to Georgetown with more NBA experience than Howard has and has yet to do much (34-29 in 2 years). Yes they were better in year 2 that year one, but it is yet to be seen if they were that much better or if it was a result of the league being that much worse.
That’s a little better for Ewing than Archie has done with his Hoosier teams...

Media reports indicate Juwan Morgan to Michigan is a done deal. Pretty shocked about this hire.
Howard like Ewing wasn't going to get an NBA coaching gig so they
hired him at the NCAA level. If successful at his Wolverine post
then he may get into the NBA.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkott
Howard like Ewing wasn't going to get an NBA coaching gig so they
hired him at the NCAA level. If successful at his Wolverine post
then he may get into the NBA.
Howard checks the "Big Name NBA alum" box, to attract recruits, especially from the state of Michigan and Chicago. Izzo should be a little worried initially potentially dragging more in-state recruits away from Sexual Violence Corrupt MSU. In a few years Howard will be required to actually be a game coach once he has his own players recruited. For the first few years if he brings in high level Michigan recruits similar to Penny Hardaway in Memphis, then he will be seen as a initial success. Down the road when Howard is found to be nowhere close to Beilein as a coach, he will likely move on, possibly back to the NBA. Or... Howard could be relatively successful at Michigan and stay, football is still king at Michigan, basketball does not have to be the cash cow like at IU, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke who have weak football programs. Howard is a downgrade from Beilein as a game coach. I view Beilein leaving UM as a plus for IU going forward.

Last edited:
I think protecting and sustaining the recruiting base and recruiting pipeline is probably the most important part of a coaching change for program success continuity. IU did a very poor job of this multiple times after RMK left. Thus the huge talent dropoffs after coaches leave or are fired. That may what Michigan was attempting to shore up with the Howard hire.

^^^ Rape enabler.

tenor.gif

Throw in Chris Webber for compliance director and time out coach!
Unfortunately Robert Tractor Traylor died several years ago. If he were still alive, they could have hired him as Compliance Director so he could teach players how to have distant relatives acquire luxury vehicles and provide them for Player's use without violating NCAA Rules. Of course there would have to be a provision in his Contract prohibiting him from providing Players with Driving Lessons.

Reactions: glidresquirrel
Michigan State’s mishandling of sexual assault allegations reportedly extended to football and basketball programs - SBNation.com
https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/26/...exual-assault-allegations-football-basketball

I believe at MSU when you call the campus police you get a pre taped message by Izzo with a decision tree.

Press 1 if you were raped by a regular student
Press 2 if you were raped by a basketball or football player.

After pressing 2 it's Izzo again saying congratulations, you are a survivor and I am praying for you. Now you need to learn the value of being quiet, keeping it to yourself, learn the power of suppressing, and make a list of the things that you did wrong to justify why you were raped by a guy who can put a ball through a hoop for the entertainment of a bunch of other dudes.

Juwan Howard hired at Michigan. I wish him well except when he plays against the Hoosiers.

I live up near Ann Arbor. The ad said he wanted an experienced head coach and then hired someone with none, zero, nada.

Coaching is a lot more than recruiting in college. You are basically a ceo and a coach. Surprised UofM could not get what they originally set out to get.. a proven ncaa coach

Almost all coaching hires are a risk. Especially when you are replacing a HOF coach. But I view this one as an unreasonable risk. But maybe it will pay off. Sometimes they do.0

I live up near Ann Arbor. The ad said he wanted an experienced head coach and then hired someone with none, zero, nada.

Coaching is a lot more than recruiting in college. You are basically a ceo and a coach. Surprised UofM could not get what they originally set out to get.. a proven ncaa coach

Almost all coaching hires are a risk. Especially when you are replacing a HOF coach. But I view this one as an unreasonable risk. But maybe it will pay off. Sometimes they do.0
I think Howard is smart enough to hire people who fill his college coaching and management gaps. Kind of like CTA hiring an experienced OC and giving him control. It will be interesting and fun to watch. Same with Penny Hardaway.

Reactions: hondo314

I have no clue what michi is thinking with this hire...No experience whatsoever as a coach??? This is like betting the horn for Gawds sakes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT