ADVERTISEMENT

Just re-watched the '81 IU-Maryland tournament game.

Univee2

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2002
IU's 99-64 victory may be the best IU game I've seen. I'm sure there are some other games others can mention, but this was IU at its best.

Maryland had a great team, with some very good eventual pros - Albert King and Buck Williams. The Terps jumped out to an 8-0 lead but there was no panic and no time out. After that slow start, Isiah, Tolbert and Turner put on a clinic. Isiah started pounding it straight up the middle, after an IU rebound, getting it to Tolbert for a dunk or stopping for a pull-up jumper between the free throw line and the top of the key. Just like a fine wine. Perfection.

One of the great things to watch was Isiah's footwork and quickness on defense. Archie Miller should make a copy of the times Isiah's defensive positioning was just perfect and make all of our guards watch it every day.

Knight didn't make a substitution until there was about 1:20 left in the first half, when Jim Thomas came in. And this was a game played at high speed. You wouldn't see that today.

The shooting was also something to watch. The 10-15 foot jump shot is a forgotten art form. Tolbert and Turner were money at this range, when they weren't throwing down monstrous dunks, throughout the game.

Turner and Tolbert were called for defensive goal-tending four times. They were jacked.

Was also interesting to see how different dribbling was then compared to now. Nobody carried the ball, as everybody does today, as the game has changed.

Saw this on a DVD I got over a decade ago from Etecnifibre. Not production company quality, as it looks like it was recorded on a home VCR and later transferred to a DVD. I think Etecnifibre had a copy of nearly every IU game. So, E, if you're reading this, thanks again.

For anybody who didn't see the game lo these many years ago, and you want to see an IU team playing a near-perfect game, see if you can get your hands on a copy or a download.

My dad and I watched it on a fuzzy feed on a small Public TV station here in the Region. Since both NBCs in Chicago and South Bend were showing the ND game, they were able to buy rights to the NBC coverage that day (my how times have changed).

IU's 99-64 victory may be the best IU game I've seen. I'm sure there are some other games others can mention, but this was IU at its best.

Maryland had a great team, with some very good eventual pros - Albert King and Buck Williams. The Terps jumped out to an 8-0 lead but there was no panic and no time out. After that slow start, Isiah, Tolbert and Turner put on a clinic. Isiah started pounding it straight up the middle, after an IU rebound, getting it to Tolbert for a dunk or stopping for a pull-up jumper between the free throw line and the top of the key. Just like a fine wine. Perfection.

One of the great things to watch was Isiah's footwork and quickness on defense. Archie Miller should make a copy of the times Isiah's defensive positioning was just perfect and make all of our guards watch it every day.

Knight didn't make a substitution until there was about 1:20 left in the first half, when Jim Thomas came in. And this was a game played at high speed. You wouldn't see that today.

The shooting was also something to watch. The 10-15 foot jump shot is a forgotten art form. Tolbert and Turner were money at this range, when they weren't throwing down monstrous dunks, throughout the game.

Turner and Tolbert were called for defensive goal-tending four times. They were jacked.

Was also interesting to see how different dribbling was then compared to now. Nobody carried the ball, as everybody does today, as the game has changed.

Saw this on a DVD I got over a decade ago from Etecnifibre. Not production company quality, as it looks like it was recorded on a home VCR and later transferred to a DVD. I think Etecnifibre had a copy of nearly every IU game. So, E, if you're reading this, thanks again.

For anybody who didn't see the game lo these many years ago, and you want to see an IU team playing a near-perfect game, see if you can get your hands on a copy or a download.
Have you seen Big Ten Elite featuring this team? In that game RMK grabbed Isiah and said "They think they can run Do you want to show them how to run?"

Reactions: MrBing
The 1981 IU National Champions went on a roll through the NCAA Tournament. Crushing every team in its path to the National Title like we have never seen before or since. Total Dominance!

I'll never forget the article about that game written by Curry Kirkpatrick for the next issue of Sports Illustrated. This quote below in BOLD was classic:

"The Hoosiers of Indiana tried their best to downplay the ferocious 99-64 mauling they handed Maryland last week. Coach Bobby Knight: "A lot of things broke well for us." Guard Isiah Thomas: "I think we can play better."

If that's true, the NCAA ought to call this whole thing off right now. After spotting the speedy Terps an 8-0 lead—like Renaldo Nehemiah giving Jackie Gleason a few hurdles' head start—Indiana began blasting away. Ray Tolbert had 26 points and four blocks. Thomas had 14 assists and zero turnovers. Landon Turner must have made at least 100 dunks. If the Hoosiers only play to 80% of that performance, they'll win the national championship"

I'll never forget the article about that game written by Curry Kirkpatrick for the next issue of Sports Illustrated. This quote below in BOLD was classic:

"The Hoosiers of Indiana tried their best to downplay the ferocious 99-64 mauling they handed Maryland last week. Coach Bobby Knight: "A lot of things broke well for us." Guard Isiah Thomas: "I think we can play better."

If that's true, the NCAA ought to call this whole thing off right now. After spotting the speedy Terps an 8-0 lead—like Renaldo Nehemiah giving Jackie Gleason a few hurdles' head start—Indiana began blasting away. Ray Tolbert had 26 points and four blocks. Thomas had 14 assists and zero turnovers. Landon Turner must have made at least 100 dunks. If the Hoosiers only play to 80% of that performance, they'll win the national championship"
Was that article before or after RMK shot at Kirkpatrick with a starter pistol?

I used to play some pickup ball with a guy named Jon Robinson, who was a backup guard on that MD team. That was a painful memory for him. He said Lefty only showed video of 1 game in preparation and it must have been IU's worst shooting game of the season. His gameplan was to pack it in and let them shoot; told his team they couldn't shoot outside. Jon said he felt like they were in trouble watching IU warmup before the game, as Kitch, Wittman and Isiah all were drilling long jumpshots. He said that was the best performance he ever witnessed, and that was a very good MD team they dismantled. Lefty was a character. Jon was a local reporter and the voice of the Carolina Panthers at the stadium for about the first 10 years of their existence.

Ah! The pull-up jumper. No one did it better. Yogi was close. Green is getting better. Everyone else charges, loses it, gets it knocked back in their face, or shoots a "floater" that they rarely make.

I have watched a lot of old games on YouTube lately but that is the game I want to watch but I can't find it anywhere.

I used to play some pickup ball with a guy named Jon Robinson, who was a backup guard on that MD team. That was a painful memory for him. He said Lefty only showed video of 1 game in preparation and it must have been IU's worst shooting game of the season. His gameplan was to pack it in and let them shoot; told his team they couldn't shoot outside. Jon said he felt like they were in trouble watching IU warmup before the game, as Kitch, Wittman and Isiah all were drilling long jumpshots. He said that was the best performance he ever witnessed, and that was a very good MD team they dismantled. Lefty was a character. Jon was a local reporter and the voice of the Carolina Panthers at the stadium for about the first 10 years of their existence.

Good info. I thought that Maryland's defense was giving IU a lot of room. I thought some of it was maybe due to the absence of a 3-point line and the camera angle in a non-HD recording. IU took a lot of what looked to be uncontested 15-17 foot jump shots.

Ah! The pull-up jumper. No one did it better. Yogi was close. Green is getting better. Everyone else charges, loses it, gets it knocked back in their face, or shoots a "floater" that they rarely make.

Isiah hit 4 or 5, nothing but net. Gorgeous to watch .....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT