ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Oats

kraft cheese+macaroni

Hall of Famer
Jul 21, 2010
I haven't watched much Alabama basketball, but I did see a game in the SEC tourney and then again yesterday vs GCU. And put me in the 'no thanks' category for hiring him if those two games are any indication of how his teams play. They had to be the dumbest IQ teams (granted, VERY athletic), but that game vs GCU was as painful to watch as a Virginia vs. Wisconsin game would be. GCU and Bama....two really DUMB teams.

I haven't watched much Alabama basketball, but I did see a game in the SEC tourney and then again yesterday vs GCU. And put me in the 'no thanks' category for hiring him if those two games are any indication of how his teams play. They had to be the dumbest IQ teams (granted, VERY athletic), but that game vs GCU was as painful to watch as a Virginia vs. Wisconsin game would be. GCU and Bama....two really DUMB teams.

You mean the guy who has coached for 9 years and been in the tourney for 7 of them...at powerhouse BB schools Buffalo and Alabama.... And won 70% of his games?

Yeah he sucks

You mean the guy who has coached for 9 years and been in the tourney for 7 of them...at powerhouse BB schools Buffalo and Alabama.... And won 70% of his games?

Yeah he sucks
Didn't say he sucks. The brand of basketball THIS TEAM plays this year sucks/is hard to watch.

So I can put you down as being good with UVA style as long as we make the tournament every year? That's fine...it'll appeal to some. I don't find either style terribly appealing to watch (nor our current style).

Didn't say he sucks. The brand of basketball THIS TEAM plays this year sucks/is hard to watch.

So I can put you down as being good with UVA style as long as we make the tournament every year? That's fine...it'll appeal to some. I don't find either style terribly appealing to watch (nor our current style).
What brand? High octane scoring?

Alabama has been pretty dynamic offensively under Oats. The GC game had a lot to do with GC slowing them down, and it becoming a VERY physical overall game. I actually was impressed with Oats/Bama's ability to close that game out and win a game where the style and tempo didn't suit them.

I'm not a huge fan of the specific styles they play either, but judging Bama on the GC game probably isn't fair.

His KenPOM offensive efficiency numbers since he arrived at Bama have been... 37, 30, 16, 20, 4. He's had some bad defenses, including this current year, but he's also had some top 5 defenses as well.

I think Oats would likely be incredible at IU.

Alabama has been pretty dynamic offensively under Oats. The GC game had a lot to do with GC slowing them down, and it becoming a VERY physical overall game. I actually was impressed with Oats/Bama's ability to close that game out and win a game where the style and tempo didn't suit them.

I'm not a huge fan of the specific styles they play either, but judging Bama on the GC game probably isn't fair.

His KenPOM offensive efficiency numbers since he arrived at Bama have been... 37, 30, 16, 20, 4. He's had some bad defenses, including this current year, but he's also had some top 5 defenses as well.

Like I said, have watched them twice this year. Neither game did what was going on on the floor resemble anything enjoyable to watch. Last year was different, I recall that.

Tom Crean with a better personality. Fun offense to watch....when they're on, but it's not sustainable.

He just signed a massive contract extension last week anyway so it's all moot anyway.

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
Tom Crean with a better personality. Fun offense to watch....when they're on, but it's not sustainable.

He just signed a massive contract extension last week anyway so it's all moot anyway.
Define "not sustainable"...his efficiency ratings at Bama seem to say otherwise.

Tom Crean with a better personality might have won a national title at IU. It was his manic, mad scientist personality that ultimately derailed that Zeller team.

Oats wouldn't be one of my top couple candidates, but man, we could do A LOT...like A LOT, worse. And we consistently have since RMK.

Reactions: bsmitty08
Define "not sustainable"...his efficiency ratings at Bama seem to say otherwise.

Tom Crean with a better personality might have won a national title at IU. It was his manic, mad scientist personality that ultimately derailed that Zeller team.

Oats wouldn't be one of my top couple candidates, but man, we could do A LOT...like A LOT, worse. And we consistently have since RMK.
I honestly don’t remember but what was Nate’s take in the whole “I’ll go get a gun so you can shoot this dude in the parking lot” deal?

I honestly don’t remember but what was Nate’s take in the whole “I’ll go get a gun so you can shoot this dude in the parking lot” deal?
Your description of the incident suggests you've made up your mind that's what happened, but that wasn't what the testimony said, if I recall correctly. Miller didn't know there was a gun in his back seat.

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey
Forgot all about that incident. He supported Miller, if I remember correctly. And it seemed like what ended up being reported as facts did point towards Miller not knowing there was a gun in his car.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Forgot all about that incident. He supported Miller, if I remember correctly. And it seemed like what ended up being reported as facts did point towards Miller not knowing there was a gun in his car.
More so Oats got out of the way and let the police do the investigation. Police/DA never charged Miller with a crime and Oats stood by him after that.

Maybe Oats system just meshes well with the metrics but in watching AL play vs GC and CofC they just play very fast and undisciplined and it makes them appear poorly coached. They didn't fare very well against ranked opponents this year, but they pretty much beat everyone they should have so no bad losses.

Maybe Oats system just meshes well with the metrics but in watching AL play vs GC and CofC they just play very fast and undisciplined and it makes them appear poorly coached. They didn't fare very well against ranked opponents this year, but they pretty much beat everyone they should have so no bad losses.

He's been in same # of S16s (3) in the last 4 years as IU has in the last 23 years...

We have zero room to critique anyone's coaching.

He's been in same # of S16s (3) in the last 4 years as IU has in the last 23 years...

We have zero room to critique anyone's coaching.
Yes, we do. If we are going to criticize our current coach (rightfully so), then we have room to criticize any potential replacement.

IU can’t afford to gamble on a hot mid-major coach, or a 65 year old sure thing. So, that basically leaves us with Chris Beard, Nate Oats, or Tommy Lloyd as younger sure things.

Oats has a contract that pays $5.25 mill per year that escalates to $7 mill in the next 6 years. He also has an $18 million buy out. Lloyd has a similar contract and is a West Coast guy all the way.

So, we need to hire Beard next year and enjoy winning big again. Or, possibly wait a few years to se if Mike Lewis or Josh Schertz look like the long term answer. I don’t think many are in the mood to wait, however.

Reactions: IUgradman
I realize a Coach can't babysit his Players 24/7, place them in bubble wrap and lock them in the Apartment until it is time to play or practice. However the Coach Who recruited the player is the one Who should have the greatest knowledge of the Player's background, High school record (including disciplinary record), criminal record (if any), and general attitude. The Admissions Office is also complicit in granting admission to a person with a checkered background. The question is would a University admit a non-athlete student with a comparable background to the Athlete They chose to admit.

Brandon Miller is damn lucky He wasn't charges as an Accessory To Murder. And We can all ask ourselves If this happened in a City or County that didn't have a University with a nationally prominent Athletic Program would He have been charged? If I were the Attorney for the family of the deceased Woman, I would look strongly at filing a wrongful Death Law suit against Miller, the Player who pulled the trigger, and the University.

In some respects this is like the Steve Alford/University of Iowa situation. The Coach brought the perpetrator to Campus and continued to back the player even though the evidence was overwhelmingly negative whether or not criminal charges were filed. I'll pass on Oats.

Reactions: Thcgh
IU can’t afford to gamble on a hot mid-major coach, or a 65 year old sure thing. So, that basically leaves us with Chris Beard, Nate Oats, or Tommy Lloyd as younger sure things.

Oats has a contract that pays $5.25 mill per year that escalates to $7 mill in the next 6 years. He also has an $18 million buy out. Lloyd has a similar contract and is a West Coast guy all the way.

So, we need to hire Beard next year and enjoy winning big again. Or, possibly wait a few years to se if Mike Lewis or Josh Schertz look like the long term answer. I don’t think many are in the mood to wait, however.
If we move on from Woody and guys like Pearl, May ( although he has gone to Michigan ) etc are being considered then you might as well go get RMKs assistant Chris Beard. He could definitely win big here and his style is as close to RMKs as we are going to get. I don’t know if his reputation would have a negative effect on our big NIL donors

Reactions: Morrison
I can’t believe there’s a debate that ANY coach with repeat tourney invites at a pure basketball school like Bama would possibly be worthy of our illustrious program

Beard's background is a non-starter. It's likely worse than what is out there publicly, and that's a risk IU can't take.
TH, I lean toward disagreeing with you on Beard. I think his background is likely better than he has been portrayed. Granted, one toxic relationship that has since been permanently terminated, with significant approval from his close friends.
I “think” he would be a great fit and an upgrade at IU.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
TH, I lean toward disagreeing with you on Beard. I think his background is likely better than he has been portrayed. Granted, one toxic relationship that has since been permanently terminated, with significant approval from his close friends.
I “think” he would be a great fit and an upgrade at IU.
I hope you’re right. Just passing along what I’ve heard for folks to take or leave.

Oats is a live or die by the 3 guy. Their shot charts are almost all 3 point and 2 point putbacks. He doesn’t like the midrange at all. He would rather pass back out even against drop coverage. Some have called his offense gimmicky.

I'd be a Chris Collins supporter

Beard's background is a non-starter. It's likely worse than what is out there publicly, and that's a risk IU can't take.
Know him since RMK went to TTU. Pretty normal, really hard working guy. Definitely a major lapse in judgement getting and staying connected to this women. She had other incidents in Lubbock before this fiasco. Not condoning what happened but I don’t see anything else coming out. Biggest black mark before “ the incident “ was the fact he took the UNLV job and then weeks later took the TTU job. TTU then gave him anything he wanted and he burnt them and went to their rivals Texas. All that said he has a tremendous work ethic and can definitely coach….. he did spend almost a decade working with the best ever

Reactions: kkott
Know him since RMK went to TTU. Pretty normal, really hard working guy. Definitely a major lapse in judgement getting and staying connected to this women. She had other incidents in Lubbock before this fiasco. Not condoning what happened but I don’t see anything else coming out. Biggest black mark before “ the incident “ was the fact he took the UNLV job and then weeks later took the TTU job. TTU then gave him anything he wanted and he burnt them and went to their rivals Texas. All that said he has a tremendous work ethic and can definitely coach….. he did spend almost a decade working with the best ever
He coached at Duke??? UCONN women?? 🤣

Yeah that was tough to watch tonight.....

Could only manage up put up 89 against the 8th most efficient D in the country.

I didn’t watch, but this about sums up my feelings I guess. I hate volume over smart. Just not enjoyable to watch for me.

They run and gun for sure. I do think part of the GCS game was how GC played though. They didn't look nearly as undisciplined vs UNC. Still constantly pushing the ball, but Carolina was more disciplined so the game overall wasn't as helter skelter as the GCS game was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT