ADVERTISEMENT

just a tad over 3 weeks till tip off

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
Is this season really gonna happen? Rona is just crushing the midwest. I fear outbreaks that shut down teams this week. If somehow these kids don't test positive and the season actually starts...... I haven't been this excited for a season since Zeller and Vic ran it back. I really hope there is basketball.

This schedule is gonna be nuts, and I really hope it trends for more of the same going forward. If an uptick in ratings happens because of the high level competition in the start of college bball this year, I could see the trend of less cupcakes in the future. The main reason for cupcakes is revenue right? I don't know the numbers but I would expect TV deals could at least rival the offset of revenue made by these cupcakes.

For example if IU did a round-robin three day mini event that could ink a 3 year tv deal, I would think it could outweigh playing Hellen Keller state. I have always advocated for all high major games. Penn State and Northwestern should be the cupcake games (can't stay Rutgers anymore!!). In any event, this year is going to show us what a all high major schedule looks like if it happens. Even though there are not going to be fans, this could be the most entertaining year if they pull this off mid rona.

I certainly hope the season happens but I don't see how fans are allowed given the C19 disaster. Really sucks out loud for season ticket holders...gonna really miss going down for games...gonna miss a lot of stroms.

Is this season really gonna happen? Rona is just crushing the midwest. I fear outbreaks that shut down teams this week. If somehow these kids don't test positive and the season actually starts...... I haven't been this excited for a season since Zeller and Vic ran it back. I really hope there is basketball.

This schedule is gonna be nuts, and I really hope it trends for more of the same going forward. If an uptick in ratings happens because of the high level competition in the start of college bball this year, I could see the trend of less cupcakes in the future. The main reason for cupcakes is revenue right? I don't know the numbers but I would expect TV deals could at least rival the offset of revenue made by these cupcakes.

For example if IU did a round-robin three day mini event that could ink a 3 year tv deal, I would think it could outweigh playing Hellen Keller state. I have always advocated for all high major games. Penn State and Northwestern should be the cupcake games (can't stay Rutgers anymore!!). In any event, this year is going to show us what a all high major schedule looks like if it happens. Even though there are not going to be fans, this could be the most entertaining year if they pull this off mid rona.

I don't have any problem with mid major or regional games with smaller schools, and think it's not really revenue, but games early in the season to work the kinks out, try different roster combos, etc... I would think better comp would always bring more revenue, unless you don't have to go to their place or it's a 2 for 1. But, I like when we play BSU, Eville, In St, and similar type teams in neighboring states. I see no reason to play many unknowns from far away, as became habit under CTC. You'll still get some of those in tourneys, but I'd prefer to see us not schedule those types.

Reactions: Al Bino
I don't have any problem with mid major or regional games with smaller schools, and think it's not really revenue, but games early in the season to work the kinks out, try different roster combos, etc... I would think better comp would always bring more revenue, unless you don't have to go to their place or it's a 2 for 1. But, I like when we play BSU, Eville, In St, and similar type teams in neighboring states. I see no reason to play many unknowns from far away, as became habit under CTC. You'll still get some of those in tourneys, but I'd prefer to see us not schedule those types.
We just can't play Fort Wayne anymore. I am tired of losing to them.

So much for this request.... rankings article on the front page says likely first opponent, or rumored or something is TN Tech... #312. I'm all giddy for that matchup. TN Tech's nickname is: A. Volunteers, B Minutemen, C. Golden Eagles, D. Golden Showers, E. I couldn't care less.

Last edited:
Funny. My brothers first teaching job was TT. Cooke illegal , TN.
nice enough town. Half way between Memphis and Knoxville I think, only been there once.
Not likely ever a sports power.
I always thought the reason to play these schools was build up 9-10 wins in non conference play so you would have 20 by ncaa time (our reason) and money and exposure (their reason).

Funny. My brothers first teaching job was TT. Cooke illegal , TN.
nice enough town. Half way between Memphis and Knoxville I think, only been there once.
Not likely ever a sports power.
I always thought the reason to play these schools was build up 9-10 wins in non conference play so you would have 20 by ncaa time (our reason) and money and exposure (their reason).
I think there was a time when that made sense (getting to 20 wins). But, my understanding is the way they assess SOS now, makes games against these low ranked teams virtually meaningless.

My last game at Assembly Hall was IU vs. Tenn Tech, I believe Baileys senior year. I think Knight was suspended and Pat Knight got in a fight with a TT player and was ejected.

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT