ADVERTISEMENT

"Juneteenth: A Global Celebration of Freedom"

Probably during the warmer months, but we don't know for sure, and we know it wasn't December 25, because that date was chosen for other (erroneous) reasons.
“We don’t know when, but it ain’t that date”. 🤣🤣🤣. There are theories to support MANY times of the year, but you guys saying when it is or isn’t is so stupid….

“We don’t know when, but it ain’t that date”. 🤣🤣🤣. There are theories to support MANY times of the year, but you guys saying when it is or isn’t is so stupid….
The gospel narratives strongly suggest it happened during the warm season. Besides the fact that the shepherds were in the fields, it also occurred in the middle of a forced trek for a census, which the Romans weren't likely to do in December, when travel was more difficult.

Reactions: Spartans9312
The gospel narratives strongly suggest it happened during the warm season. Besides the fact that the shepherds were in the fields, it also occurred in the middle of a forced trek for a census, which the Romans weren't likely to do in December, when travel was more difficult.
How you characterize “Jesus wasn’t born on Dec. 25th?”

Why does this bother you? Even many biblical scholars, preachers, pastors and priests believe the actual date was unlikely 25 December. I’ve even heard it in a Christmas Eve sermon. The date isn’t the important thing. His birth, life and death are what is important.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
I think you should let black people call it what they want and celebrate it when they want.
Celebrating the end of slavery is an event we all can and should celebrate. Saying this is some kind of black event serves to continue divisions. I’ve thought for a while that we underplay this event and it leads ongoing racial divisions.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Why does this bother you? Even many biblical scholars, preachers, pastors and priests believe the actual date was unlikely 25 December. I’ve even heard it in a Christmas Eve sermon. The date isn’t the important thing. His birth, life and death are what is important.
Why does it bother you that I’m questioning Goat & TMP? You want him to be your girl? Get lost sack-hanger, I’m interested in what GOAT has to say about it, you, not so much. If you had reading skills beyond a third grader you wouldn’t be posting that my issue is that it was unlikely…

• Haha
Reactions: DDE-6-20-23
That is hell!!!
Yes and no...Hell, at Cedar Point was the year we went, and the ride Top Fuel Dragster got stuck at the top, mostly facing down. I have no clue how that happened, but it looked freaking horrible. I've been stuck on a roller coaster at the top getting ready to go over the falls, but hell no NOT Top Fuel Dragster. I was ruined from that point forward from going on that ride. I'll do any ride, but after witnessing that, and they were up there for over 30 minutes. Hell No!

But honestly, for the money there is probably not a better park for the coasters than Cedar Point. Plus, when you're at the top you get the lovely Lake Erie view.

• Wow
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I’ve read somewhere that early scholars believed that Jesus was born around March 25th, and the date to celebrate was chosen to be exactly 9 months after his birth. I don’t remember the reasoning behind it, but there was a reason, however questionable it may be.

Why does it bother you that I’m questioning Goat & TMP? You want him to be your girl? Get lost sack-hanger, I’m interested in what GOAT has to say about it, you, not so much. If you had reading skills beyond a third grader you wouldn’t be posting that my issue is that it was unlikely…
You’re not an impressive guy.

Let me help you out. This wasn’t posted by an intelligent person:

I’ve read somewhere that early scholars believed that Jesus was born around March 25th, and the date to celebrate was chosen to be exactly 9 months after his birth. I don’t remember the reasoning behind it, but there was a reason, however questionable it may be.
You're close. For various theological reasons, early thinkers decided his conception was on March 25th (because it was the Spring Equinox, which everyone at the time agreed was also the date of the actual Creation), and they added nine months to that.

Celebrating the end of slavery is an event we all can and should celebrate. Saying this is some kind of black event serves to continue divisions. I’ve thought for a while that we underplay this event and it leads ongoing racial divisions.

who said it's "some kind of black event"? we can all celebrate it as we see fit but you can see how if might be a little more meaningful to black folks?

also, how many race cards do you carry in your wallet? does it hurt your back to sit on a brick like that? jeeeeebus

You're close. For various theological reasons, early thinkers decided his conception was on March 25th (because it was the Spring Equinox, which everyone at the time agreed was also the date of the actual Creation), and they added nine months to that.

Pre-christians were big on the Winter solstice. shortest day, longest night, this sucks but probs time to start thinking about spring crops, blah blah blah, let's just say he was born on 12/25, sun rising = son rising, nailed it (no pun intended) is probably how it all went down.

Yes and no...Hell, at Cedar Point was the year we went, and the ride Top Fuel Dragster got stuck at the top, mostly facing down. I have no clue how that happened, but it looked freaking horrible. I've been stuck on a roller coaster at the top getting ready to go over the falls, but hell no NOT Top Fuel Dragster. I was ruined from that point forward from going on that ride. I'll do any ride, but after witnessing that, and they were up there for over 30 minutes. Hell No!

But honestly, for the money there is probably not a better park for the coasters than Cedar Point. Plus, when you're at the top you get the lovely Lake Erie view.

They finally redid Top Thrill.... now called Top Thrill 2.

It already broke down.

Pre-christians were big on the Winter solstice. shortest day, longest night, this sucks but probs time to start thinking about spring crops, blah blah blah, let's just say he was born on 12/25 is probably how it all went down.
They were, but the Xmas thing had nothing to do with that. It was about the Spring Equinox. They decided Jesus was conceived on March 25, and just added nine months. Simple as that.

Reactions: BradStevens
They were, but the Xmas thing had nothing to do with that. It was about the Spring Equinox. They decided Jesus was conceived on March 25, and just added nine months. Simple as that.

we agree to disagree

we agree to disagree

There are good reasons to pair Xmas with the Winter solstice, but the sources pairing the Annunciation with the Spring equinox are actually older. As early as the third, maybe even late second century, Xians were celebrating Xmas in December based entirely on the theory that the Annunciation was in March.

who said it's "some kind of black event"? we can all celebrate it as we see fit but you can see how if might be a little more meaningful to black folks?

also, how many race cards do you carry in your wallet? does it hurt your back to sit on a brick like that? jeeeeebus
Slavery was a national burden and we all should celebrate its end. Of course I can see how blacks see it differently, we need to move the country away from that. The end of slavery message should be no color differences.

We already have Black History Month for the other stuff

There are good reasons to pair Xmas with the Winter solstice, but the sources pairing the Annunciation with the Spring equinox are actually older. As early as the third, maybe even late second century, Xians were celebrating Xmas in December based entirely on the theory that the Annunciation was in March.

disagree, lots of Christian traditions got their start with pagan traditions.

anyway, this argument sure beats politics.

Oh, of course those traditions did. Christianity is basically a pagan religion. I was just talking about the date. It wasn't because of Saturnalia or the Winter Solstice. It was because they added nine months to March 25.

Now, even March 25 as the Annunciation might have had pagan overtones. They picked the date because they figured Christ was conceived on the same date that the world was created, and of course the world was created on the Spring Equinox, because everyone understood that was the beginning of the year/world/etc.

(Certain pagans would disagree and point back again to the Winter Solstice, but we'll leave that alone.)

Anyway, if you want to argue Xianity has a lot of pagan influences, I'm not your enemy. I already know that.

**** Joe Biden.

Slavery was a national burden and we all should celebrate its end. Of course I can see how blacks see it differently, we need to move the country away from that. The end of slavery message should be no color differences.

We already have Black History Month for the other stuff

ah, you can see how blacks might see it differently but want to move away from that? why? thought we were in a place where some people could celebrate something one way and others another?

another ahhhh, so one celebration is enough? should we just roll all Christian holidays into Easter weekend?

race cards, you like to play them. constantly.

ah, you can see how blacks might see it differently but want to move away from that? why? thought we were in a place where some people could celebrate something one way and others another?

another ahhhh, so one celebration is enough? should we just roll all Christian holidays into Easter weekend?

race cards, you like to play them. constantly.
There are certain events in our history that should be observed and celebrated without racial baggage. Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, I’m suggesting end of slavery is like those days.

Reactions: BradStevens
There are certain events in our history that should be observed and celebrated without racial baggage. Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, I’m suggesting end of slavery is like those days.
observing the end of slavery but with no racial baggage?

anyway, please pick up all the race cards you've been throwing around the bar. disgusting.

I just ordered season tix to our dirty six flags for my minion. Maybe that. I’m sure this will be a big mistake

I assume The Time Tunnel is gone? I loved it. it was magical. plus a nice break from the heat. cool, luscious green water. it made me want to be an archeologist when I was young. wanted to learn more about cavemen living in harmony with dinosaurs. :p

Worst nightmare

Reactions: DDE-6-20-23
I assume The Time Tunnel is gone? I loved it. it was magical. plus a nice break from the heat. cool, luscious green water. it made me want to be an archeologist when I was young. wanted to learn more about cavemen living in harmony with dinosaurs. :p
I think all that shit is gone 🤣. Injun Joe’s riverboat ride etc. I’ll report back. Here’s one for ya. In sixth grade my best bud and I used to take the bus to six flags and back. We picked it up in front of st Mary magdalen at the corner of Brentwood and Manchester. My how times have changed

Best thing I ever did at Cedar Point was cop my first feel. Worst thing I ever did at Cedar Point was literally every other thing I did at Cedar Point.
Best thing I ever did at Cedar Point was cop my first feel. Worst thing I ever did at Cedar Point was literally every other thing I did at Cedar Point.
Something very romantic about young love and amusement parks. I banged one in the back seat in the parking lot at a milli vanilli concert at six flags. Boobs to die for. Sweet. Dumb. Should have just stuck with her. I even dragged to her law school. Stuck around nights listening to Cortez’s bullshit and all the rest and never once complained.

Something very romantic about young love and amusement parks. I banged one in the back seat in the parking lot at a milli vanilli concert at six flags. Boobs to die for. Sweet. Dumb. Should have just stuck with her. I even dragged to her law school. Stuck around nights listening to Cortez’s bullshit and all the rest and never once complained.
Every time you post, you sound exactly like yourself.

• Haha
I think all that shit is gone 🤣. Injun Joe’s riverboat ride etc. I’ll report back. Here’s one for ya. In sixth grade my best bud and I used to take the bus to six flags and back. We picked it up in front of st Mary magdalen at the corner of Brentwood and Manchester. My how times have changed

injun joe's! haha that's insane, all my trips there were in a faux wood-paneled family truckster. that did mean we got to go to Molly Brown's on the way back when it was below Wet Willie's at 141 and 44.

• Love
injun joe's! haha that's insane, all my trips there were in a faux wood-paneled family truckster. that did mean we got to go to Molly Brown's on the way back when it was below Wet Willie's at 141 and 44.
DOOOOOOOOOD Stop it. NO ONE of future generations will ever know that there was an america where a water slide was half assed carved out of the side of a cliff that you could sail right off. My friends and I would wait at the first turn so we could all go down together and crash in that pool of slime. CTE for the lot. And F it. Why not shoot some bottle rockets at the people coming down

• Haha
Reactions: manichi
You’re not an impressive guy.

Let me help you out. This wasn’t posted by an intelligent person:

No, the lack of intelligence is in not understanding why that question was posed. As far as not being impressive, you are the quintessence of “I’d like to buy you for what you’re worth and sell you for what you think you’re worth.”

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta
DOOOOOOOOOD Stop it. NO ONE of future generations will ever know that there was an america where a water slide was half assed carved out of the side of a cliff that you could sail right off. My friends and I would wait at the first turn so we could all go down together and crash in that pool of slime. CTE for the lot. And F it. Why not shoot some bottle rockets at the people coming down

:p the bite marks in the mats. holy crap. I think I'd usually lose my mat about 15 feet into the slide. you'd just ride cement to the bottom and then do it another 20 times.

you have any friends who worked at Maritz down that way? one of my aunts was close to the family back in the day. my co. did some work for a gift card joint venture they got into with AMEX. then AMEX got spooked by Dodd-Frank and sold off to Maritz. Maritz then realized they couldn't afford the regulatory and tech stuff and sold to Blackhawk, the company that runs most of the card malls in grocery stores and big box stores. the kicker was that back then card producers could keep the "breakage" on incentive cards. I give an employee a $250 card for x-mas, they put it in a drawer and forget about it, the card producer takes all of the remaining funds the day the card expires. that model eventually broke down as clients and consumers wisened up but back in the day....sheeeeesh.

• Love
:p the bite marks in the mats. holy crap. I think I'd usually lose my mat about 15 feet into the slide. you'd just ride cement to the bottom and then do it another 20 times.

you have any friends who worked at Maritz down that way? one of my aunts was close to the family back in the day. my co. did some work for a gift card joint venture they got into with AMEX. then AMEX got spooked by Dodd-Frank and sold off to Maritz. Maritz then realized they couldn't afford the regulatory and tech stuff and sold to Blackhawk, the company that runs most of the card malls in grocery stores and big box stores. the kicker was that back then card producers could keep the "breakage" on incentive cards. I give an employee a $250 card for x-mas, they put it in a drawer and forget about it, the card producer takes all of the remaining funds the day the card expires. that model eventually broke down as clients and consumers wisened up but back in the day....sheeeeesh.
I knew one chick that worked there and I swear she did like vacation shit. That place was always a huge mystery to me as I never knew what they did

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT