ADVERTISEMENT

I've become totally apathetic to this program

46 years old and have been a fan all of my life and no I am spot on with my remarks

Comparing the Steelers (who won a SB while still playing smash mouth defense) to a run and gun undisciplined college basketball team shows how spot on you are.

Comparing the steelers (who won a SB while still playing smash mouth Defense) to a run and gun undisciplined college basketball team shows how spot on you are
They have change the way they play football compared to how they use to play. I would think that most fans doesn't really care how you win as long as you win. it doesn't matter if you play an uptempo or a slower pace just as long as you win. I understand wanting what use to work but if we bring in a new coach who doesn't play the style you like but win then who really care.

I wouldn't call what we do as run and gun offense and if you look at the rate of pace we are ranked 137 in the country. What we do is turn the ball over and that doesn't have anything to do with how fast we play.

They have change the way they play football compared to how they use to play. I would think that most fans doesn't really care how you win as long as you win. it doesn't matter if you play an uptempo or a slower pace just as long as you win. I understand wanting what use to work but if we bring in a new coach who doesn't play the style you like but win then who really care.

Championship teams have to play defense, value possessions, and limit turnovers. The college game in that aspect has never changed. There are not just the motion offense and dribble drive, Scott. That's the parameters you created. Anyway... I'm catching myself in a winless debate on a message board so I'm going to go re-evaluate my life

Last edited:

I wouldn't call what we do as run and gun offense and if you look at the rate of pace we are ranked 137 in the country. What we do is turn the ball over and that doesn't have anything to do with how fast we play.
the obscene number of turnovers game after game, combined with an absence of fundamentals, particularly defense, is not a "style"....its a deficiency.

I think in my case apathy is a function of age as much as the problems on the court. As a young'un in the 60's and 70's, I'd watch IU hoops and HS Bball on local TV. Class basketball killed HS ball and IU's decline into mediocrity along with the responsibilities of adult life have combined to kill anything other than *very* casual interest in IU bball.

The thrill is long gone from both. Hope the Hoosiers turn it around and have a great year, but at this point in my life, I'll probably read about it here the next day.

that is not my point they have change their style which I doubt that there fans care. If you are waiting for the old motion offense you will be waiting along time even if we make a change a change at coach. Just go to an Indiana high school game you won't even see much motion offense and see a lot of 4 out. You will also see a lot of dribble drive and trying to beat their defender off the dribble.
Hmmmm......then where are Bulter and Wisconsin finding their players?

I agree also. Sometimes I wonder why I even care any more but I've loved IU all my life. It's getting harder to watch all the time. Crean is a nice guy, I live in Bloomington and have met him but damn it, the guy is not much of a coach. Honest to God I really enjoy watching Wisconsin since Bo came there. They remind me more of IU ball then our own program currently does. Very sad indeed!!!

I've asked myself this questions so many times in the last 3 years I'd have a million dollars if I had a penny for each time.

There's a "Bad Call Brick" (foam IU novelty souvenir) in my office. I've taped over the "Ball" and written "Coach" on it three times now (Davis, Sampson and Crean) and when the last two were canned 3/4ths of the word "Call" had pulled off. I'll paint it back on if it means getting rid of Crean at this point.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
the obscene number of turnovers game after game, combined with an absence of fundamentals, particularly defense, is not a "style"....its a deficiency.

I think those deficiencies are now baked into the IUBB culture and leadership. They're not being corrected because Crean doesn't have the right solution for it, or because he's deliberately accepting it. If his communication and leadership to the players contains any of the same unfocused, mumbo-jumbo nonsense that he delivers in post game comments and media interviews, then I can't imagine how the players are translating it into actionable intelligence during game situations. And, while he's acting like a fart in a skillet over the sideline, it's no wonder that his players are at times out-of-control, with no idea what to do next except revert to playground hero ball. That doesn't work at this level.

Reactions: cshartle123
that is not my point they have change their style which I doubt that there fans care. If you are waiting for the old motion offense you will be waiting along time even if we make a change a change at coach. Just go to an Indiana high school game you won't even see much motion offense and see a lot of 4 out. You will also see a lot of dribble drive and trying to beat their defender off the dribble.

I don't view the Steelers as a team that changed their style just because they now have one of the better offenses. They are still a defensive minded team. I did not view them as some offensive force when they won their 2 SB with Big Ben. Good yes. Now they are even better offensively but I still believe they are a defensive first team.

How many basketball coaches win titles who play fast paced offensive basketball that did not pay attention to defense. In the NBA, Westhead, Don Nelson, D'antoni? Maybe Westhead got a title with Magic before he went totally bonkers with his fast pace offense. I guess maybe in college one can be found.

Crean's half court offense is horrible. It's like Crean coaches ball stoppage. Below is an article on the Spurs offense. I like the Ball movement section and how the Spurs lack Ball Stoppers. That is by design, I'm sure.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-5-elements-of-the-effective-spurs-o

Sure you have. You've claimed that anyone not in AH couldn't be a judge of that, in spite of convincing evidence to the contrary, and there haven't been empties. Backing up on it now doesn't change that.

You are wrong Ordfan but I will give you the opportunity to redeem yourself.

Link?

You are wrong Ordfan but I will give you the opportunity to redeem yourself.

Link?
Not surprised you're running away from this, but you said no one who wasn't in the arena could know that there were empties. It's what you do with the Purdue guys who routinely run you in circles here. And I'm not Ordfan, but that's another of your games designed to avoid your factual shortcomings. How's the bar tending?

Reactions: roundfootball
It used to be one of my great loves in life. I would look forward to each season with great anticipation and when it finally rolled around, I was dying for each successive game. Now I couldn't even tell you who/when we're playing next. Such a horrible and undisciplined brand of basketball led by a very unlikable coach. Sad state of affairs
If you were really totally apathetic you wouldn't be posting this and the those that claim they're apathetic wouldn't be responding! ;)

I'm not apathetic. I'm not happy with the performance of the team lately and if Crean doesn't turn it around soon and finish very strong I'll be all about firing Tom Crean at the end of the season. I was all about firing him after the Duke game last year but he surprised me big time by turning that team around. That gives him a longer leash for me this year but not a lot longer. He's getting close to the end of it.

Not surprised you're running away from this, but you said no one who wasn't in the arena could know that there were empties. It's what you do with the Purdue guys who routinely run you in circles here. And I'm not Ordfan, but that's another of your games designed to avoid your factual shortcomings. How's the bar tending?

You made the claim. Back it up.

Empty seats are easy to see on tv when they are theatre style chairs, people don't just spread out like they do in bleachers.

Bar tending? Never did that...even in college.

Back up your claims about my posts...this usually sends you trolls packing.

It used to be one of my great loves in life. I would look forward to each season with great anticipation and when it finally rolled around, I was dying for each successive game. Now I couldn't even tell you who/when we're playing next. Such a horrible and undisciplined brand of basketball led by a very unlikable coach. Sad state of affairs
I'm not sure if an illness in my family that is taking up a lot of my time, or the play of the team caused me to not even DVR the game last night. This was the first game I have blown off in many years.

I sat in the stands watching IU get outplayed and out coached again this year. If Crean did a good job of building a team last year, he has done an equally poor job this year. Not guarding shooters that were obviously mentioned on a scouting report and stupid turnovers are wasting a good assembly of talent. Any coach would love to have this roster and I feel most would do a better job.

I was all about firing him after the Duke game last year but he surprised me big time by turning that team around. That gives him a longer leash for me this year but not a lot longer. He's getting close to the end of it.
That is me exactly, word for word.

Reactions: MrBing
More on Billy Donovan. Article is getting old. Westbrook is now locked up long term but very inefficient. alford is probably off the hot seat but Crean has returned. IU needs to get this guy before the 2 old guys hang it up. If Donovan were to return and be the IU coach next year, I'll have to send special thanks the Durant. As a Mav fan, he already gets plenty of thanks in getting the Mavs Harrison Barnes as they kick off rebuilding their team for the post Dirk era

http://thecomeback.com/ncaa/billy-donovan-kevin-durant-thunder-college.html

You made the claim. Back it up.

Empty seats are easy to see on tv when they are theatre style chairs, people don't just spread out like they do in bleachers.

Bar tending? Never did that...even in college.

Back up your claims about my posts...this usually sends you trolls packing.
So you're denying that you refuted the claim of empty seats by saying only those in the arena could make such a claim? No wonder they have fun with you.

Uncle Mark,
I can only imagine what a downer it was to see that performance. Not only am I no longer excited to watch but I tune in anyway hoping for a different result. Last night there was a line up of Morgan, Davis, OG, Rojo, and McRoberts that I was really playing well. Then at the 7:00 min. mark of 2nd half, Crean substituted in a line-up that made me just want to Puke as it instantly turned the ball over 2 straight times and gave up easy buckets. He then he put in two guys who have hardly played as a last desperate measure to finish off the night. I just am not excited nor do I enjoy the lack of discipline and careless handling of the basketball. It is just Blasphemy to a true Indiana Basketball fan. I hope it turns around.

the problem with IU basketball is that it doesn't exist....its a contradiction in terms. I don't recognize what I see on the floor as IU basketball. Haven't for a very long time. Before anyone brings up RMK and the old days....I would take Butler's style of play in a heartbeat. They can play with anyone.
Good game on now. Butler and #1 Villanova.

So you're denying that you refuted the claim of empty seats by saying only those in the arena could make such a claim? No wonder they have fun with you.

Ok, you claim to not be Ordfan or one his many post-bannings usernames...ok. Let's take that claim at face value (snicker). now you have been on this forum since December 28 so finding a link to a post of mine that supports your second claim should be very easy.

Do that..or admit what we all already know.

Ok, you claim to not be Ordfan or one his many post-bannings usernames...ok. Let's take that claim at face value (snicker). now you have been on this forum since December 28 so finding a link to a post of mine that supports your second claim should be very easy.

Do that..or admit what we all already know.
You made the claim that only those in the arena could properly judge whether there were empties, and now you're running away from it. We both know it, though I have to admit it's funny watching you twist and squirm. No wonder the Purdue guys have so much fun at your expense.

Last edited:
I think those deficiencies are now baked into the IUBB culture and leadership. They're not being corrected because Crean doesn't have the right solution for it, or because he's deliberately accepting it. If his communication and leadership to the players contains any of the same unfocused, mumbo-jumbo nonsense that he delivers in post game comments and media interviews, then I can't imagine how the players are translating it into actionable intelligence during game situations. And, while he's acting like a fart in a skillet over the sideline, it's no wonder that his players are at times out-of-control, with no idea what to do next except revert to playground hero ball. That doesn't work at this level.

You made the claim that only those in the arena could properly judge whether there were empties, and now you're running away from it. We both know it, though I have to admit it's funny watching you twist and squirm. No wonder the Purdue guys have so much fun at your expense.

Speaking of twisting and squirming...

Again, if your claim that you are not the oft-banned Ordfan, then, by definition you have been here for nine days and you make this claim about me. It should be extremely easy for you to pull up a post that proves you right and me wrong.

Step up big man, back up your claim with a link/bump or apologize.

Speaking of twisting and squirming...

Again, if your claim that you are not the oft-banned Ordfan, then, by definition you have been here for nine days and you make this claim about me. It should be extremely easy for you to pull up a post that proves you right and me wrong.

Step up big man, back up your claim with a link/bump or apologize.
I read this site before joining, which is why I know that you made the comment you're now shamefully running away from.

I don't even know how that function works, but I'll get educated and find it later today when I have time.

In the meantime, I'm sure the Purdues will drop by and run you in circles, and I'm sure you'll continue to talk about anything but IU basketball (save for insightful commentary about Crean "saving their legs"!) and generally waste everyone's time here. It must be slow for you until the bar opens and you can start work.

I read this site before joining, which is why I know that you made the comment you're now shamefully running away from.

I don't even know how that function works, but I'll get educated and find it later today when I have time.

In the meantime, I'm sure the Purdues will drop by and run you in circles, and I'm sure you'll continue to talk about anything but IU basketball (save for insightful commentary about Crean "saving their legs"!) and generally waste everyone's time here. It must be slow for you until the bar opens and you can start work.

You are twisting yourself into a pretzel so badly your next username should be Mr. Salty.

Last night there was a line up of Morgan, Davis, OG, Rojo, and McRoberts that I was really playing well. Then at the 7:00 min. mark of 2nd half, Crean substituted in a line-up that made me just want to Puke as it instantly turned the ball over 2 straight times and gave up easy buckets.
That was when I turned to my buddy and said, "Uh oh. Now we're going with our worst defender (JBJ), a raw freshman (Jones), and a junior college transfer (Freddie). This should be just great."

Last edited:

It is hard to watch this undisciplined run and gun style of basketball. I never used to miss a game but after the Syracuse fiasco it became apparent to me we will never do squat under crean in the NCAA. Yes I am still a fan and hold out some tiny hope I am wrong but the stars would have to align perfectly for that to happen imo. Watched my kid’s bball practices instead of watching the Wisconsin and Louisville games though I followed it on my phone. Never thought I would see the day where I would skip watching big games.

Now comes the part where Scott tells me I am not a true fan and just a hater. Go ahead Scott……..

I'm not the one who made laughably false claims. That's you, as your Purdue betters prove every time they come around.

Indeed you are Mr. salty. but then you can prove me wrong very very easily if it were true.

Waiting

you are nothing more than a third rate adolescent flame thrower...you've demonstrated that the entirety of your brief "tenure". Find a smack board, Scooter...this one is for big boys.

It is hard to watch this undisciplined run and gun style of basketball. I never used to miss a game but after the Syracuse fiasco it became apparent to me we will never do squat under crean in the NCAA. Yes I am still a fan and hold out some tiny hope I am wrong but the stars would have to align perfectly for that to happen imo. Watched my kid’s bball practices instead of watching the Wisconsin and Louisville games though I followed it on my phone. Never thought I would see the day where I would skip watching big games.

Now comes the part where Scott tells me I am not a true fan and just a hater. Go ahead Scott……..

It will be interesting to see what happens Sat. This one now is a must win. If they somehow gather it up and play disciplined effective ball then somebody has to figure out where or with whom the problems lie.

It seems to me that Crean creates a picture in his head of where the team is and never looks at the reality. He said after the Wisky game that the team had practiced well all week and were ready. 16-2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT