ADVERTISEMENT

Ivanka just announced the end of Reaganism

Just said the same thing. That speech could have been made at the DNC.

Donald is staying on script so far. Obama is causing a national crime wave and the killing of cops.

Reactions: Lucy01
Donald is staying on script so far. Obama is causing a national crime wave and the killing of cops.
No, he's not. He's following Ivanka's concern for women with his own concern for minority workers, infrastructure, etc. He is pivoting to Novemebr like an evil genius, and his lemmings are somehow eating it up.

If he ends up our next president, tonight will be a big reason why.

No, he's not. He's following Ivanka's concern for women with his own concern for minority workers, infrastructure, etc. He is pivoting to Novemebr like an evil genius, and his lemmings are somehow eating it up.

I read the leaked speech. He's sticking close to it so far.

Can't believe (well actually I can), that someone thinks it's a good idea to protest during this speech. That does nothing but play into his hand and strengthen him.

Yeah but this is by miles. And it's politically brilliant. This is his "I'm no longer a joke" moment.

Genuinely has me worried.
We could have hoped for him to show his ass, but that wouldn't have been a smart bet.

Don't panic yet, youngster. This isn't anything special. I've been watching closely since '72. Nearly every losing candidate has had a great acceptance speech. You're old enough to remember Sarah, aren't you? HRC will have her day in the sun next week. Then we'll get down to business.

Yeah but this is by miles. And it's politically brilliant. This is his "I'm no longer a joke" moment.

It won't last. He'll make another NATO comment or do something ridiculous within a few days. Guaranteed.

We could have hoped for him to show his ass, but that wouldn't have been a smart bet.

Don't panic yet, youngster. This isn't anything special. I've been watching closely since '72. Nearly every losing candidate has had a great acceptance speech. You're old enough to remember Sarah, aren't you? HRC will have her day in the sun next week. Then we'll get down to business.
She's a great speaker, but he's squeezed her margin of error tonight. She better step up.

That said, I still think the debates are where she wins this.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa

Right now he could say he'll raise taxes and the crowd will just start cheering.

She's a great speaker, but he's squeezed her margin of error tonight. She better step up.

I still lack that debate confidence, I recall that Gore was a great debater and would crush Bush. President Gore (nor President Kerry) managed that.

Wondering if he's going to pivot to anything positive, because this has to be the darkest acceptance speech I can recall.

Wondering if he's going to pivot to anything positive, because this has to be the darkest acceptance speech I can recall.
He's still playing to anger, fear, and resentment. He's just not sounding as Fascist about it as he did on the stump.

I don't think she'll make a big impression with her acceptance speech. But I do think she'll dominate the debates. He's a walking policy gaffe.

My favorite part was when the crowd chanted (build the wall!" Trump wanted to go in, but took a step back and did a little noise and head shake. And then went back to the speech.

Everything in his being told him to go with it, but he actually resisted the impulse. I've never seen him do that before.

If he eliminated the racism and ant-woman stuff he's said, and backed away from the white supremacists- he'd win in November.

But he is still Donald Trump after all. I don't see that happening. It's not who he is.

But, he's been politically brilliant the past two nights- starting with Cruz's assist. Cruz thought he maneuvered himself for 2020, and he may have for whatever remains of the Republican Party. But what he is trying to preserve by being "pure" will be a political minority moving forward.

Goat nailed it. This is complete destruction of the Reagan era Republican Party. It was a fragile coalition. And now it's in pieces.

BTW, Don Jr. And Ivanka will be seen again in the political arena. They are stars in the making.

Just like he said he could shoot someone in Times Square and his supporters wouldn't care. I think that's absolutely correct.

He just got an arena full of republicans to cheer against free trade. This ain't your daddy's republican party. TPP was the only thing republicans ever backed Obama on. And putting down NAFTA! That deal was a late 80s - early 90s republican wet dream.

I don't think she'll make a big impression with her acceptance speech. But I do think she'll dominate the debates. He's a walking policy gaffe.
Her speech after the last primary was pretty powerful. They are both going to try to goad each other into losing their tempers in the debates. I think the moderators will be a factor too. Hopefully he will actually get pushed for specifics instead of telling is he's going to do away with ISIS, make America Great and all that nonsense.

Now an infrastructure program that rivals what Obama tried to get passed and the Congress blocked.

Reaganism may still be alive. He's promising the moon, and it looks like it's going to take voodoo economics to pay for it.

The fact checking has been going on all during the speech and many of the statistics he cited are flat out lies. Most recent example: US is one of the highest taxed nations in the world. Actually 27 out of 30 of top economic powers. Crime rates are actually down, etc. But no one will care, I realize.

Reactions: bkistner
Not sure what speech goat listened to, but I felt that speech was the most bizarre, disjointed, and poorly delivered acceptance speech in my lifetime.

He's making crime his central point? Wtf? Does he think it's 1990? Or 1968? Running as the law and order candidate? Weird.

He basically yelled the entire speech, was way off on the cadence the entire time, could not really get the crowd into it. The topics just kind of blended together in one stream of consciousness. And it was waaaay too long. I was literally falling asleep, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

And the walk off music is "you can't always get what you want"? Huh?

Not sure what speech goat listened to, but I felt that speech was the most bizarre, disjointed, and poorly delivered acceptance speech in my lifetime.

He's making crime his central point? Wtf? Does he think it's 1990? Or 1968? Running as the law and order candidate? Weird.

He basically yelled the entire speech, was way off on the cadence the entire time, could not really get the crowd into it. The topics just kind of blended together in one stream of consciousness. And it was waaaay too long. I was literally falling asleep, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

Look, if I were judging a round at a forensics competition, he'd get pretty low marks. It was poorly structured, and the delivery was a little monotone, so to speak. But politically, he took a speech full of red meat for his base, and interspersed lines intended to appeal to everyone from minorities to Berniecrats. Following on the heels of Ivanka's speech, I think it was a pretty big pivot, and a politically brilliant one. He had his base chanting his name in favor of liberal ideas.

Look, we all know there is only one way Trump wins this: don't disillusion his own crazy nutjob base while finding a way to appeal to various moderate-to-liberal groups that hate Hillary. Tonight's speech was written to do just that.

I didn't listen much, as he literally makes my skin crawl. Seems as if the reactions are very mixed though. Heard he had quite a bit of trouble with the TelePrompTer ( how ironic since he said a candidate should never use one) and also with the truth. As predicted, the fact checkers are having a field day. It also seems to once agin, concentrate on scaring everyone and just to trust him, he'll make it right. And as per usual, no specifics as to how these miracles will occur. They just will.

There's been some clever trolling going on, from the Rick roll in Melania's speech to playing the Stone's song. The Stone's song was directed at the "regular" Republican Party. That's the way I took it anyway.

Trump seemed to be able to say whatever the hell he wanted- to thunderous applause. It was nuts.

If he does what he says he will do, he'll quadruple our debt in 4 years. The debates will be where the proverbial rubber hits the road. I really hope the moderators pin him down on his proposals. Because many of them sound good- but how the hell can you pay for them all?

There's been some clever trolling going on, from the Rick roll in Melania's speech to playing the Stone's song. The Stone's song was directed at the "regular" Republican Party. That's the way I took it anyway.

Trump seemed to be able to say whatever the hell he wanted- to thunderous applause. It was nuts.

If he does what he says he will do, he'll quadruple our debt in 4 years. The debates will be where the proverbial rubber hits the road. I really hope the moderators pin him down on his proposals. Because many of them sound good- but how the hell can you pay for them all?

Recent history shows republican administrations run up debt faster than democratic ones so no surprise there.

Look, if I were judging a round at a forensics competition, he'd get pretty low marks. It was poorly structured, and the delivery was a little monotone, so to speak. But politically, he took a speech full of red meat for his base, and interspersed lines intended to appeal to everyone from minorities to Berniecrats. Following on the heels of Ivanka's speech, I think it was a pretty big pivot, and a politically brilliant one. He had his base chanting his name in favor of liberal ideas.

Look, we all know there is only one way Trump wins this: don't disillusion his own crazy nutjob base while finding a way to appeal to various moderate-to-liberal groups that hate Hillary. Tonight's speech was written to do just that.

He basically redid Nixon's 1968 speech. I didn't hear a thing in there that is broadening his appeal to suburban voters, which is where a Republican has to win in a general. He still wants a wall, which 66% of Americans oppose (per Gallup yesterday). His focus on crime is downright bizarre. His anti trade lines got muted applause in the arena.

It seemed a double down on his entire stratrgy of fear and anger, hoping there are enough blue collar types that will deliver an election. I don't think the demographics of the electorate supports that.

He is not a politician, He knows about money, Or he could be like the majority of posters here and put it on a debit card!

I agree. He was randomly shouting out platitudes from category to category...each moreso unrelated to the prior.

It was like he had an 8-ball toy and was shaking it to read soundbites. Zero substance...total hero worship from the stupids in the crowd.

He is not a politician, He knows about money, Or he could be like the majority of posters here and put it on a debit card!
My guess is the majority of posters haven't claimed bankruptcy four times! But the Donald.. He knows money.

Trade barriers are counterproductive but the tax code could be made a lot fairer so the rich like Trump paid at a much greater rate than I presume he does (we don't know what the hell he pays since he won't release his tax returns).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT