ADVERTISEMENT

IU vs Kansas for Mgbako

Here is what we know as of now:

1. Rabjohns knows nothing. He never has. Hard to believe he gets a paycheck.
2. Kansas fans think he is a lock to Kansas.
3. Cav thinks he is coming to IU.
4. He if following some IU guys on instigram so some fans think it is a tell of things to come.
5. The IU insider on another site has no idea.
Thank you for clearing this up.

Reactions: bailey777
Yeah, they are knuckleheads, and the fact that they are front and center of all this is what worries me. Are they front and center? Or are they simply the most conspicuous because they also have a podcast? I’m sorry my opinion bothers you, but you should know I’m not alone in thinking they are cringe.
I really don’t care about opinions from people who offer no solutions. I hear criticism all the time from big talkers and a one big poser who evidently are fixated on negativity. I do care about efforts being made in the NIL world and conversations with current and former players, to which they have lead the charge. If left to the critics, we’d have $1.50 in the till but enough bravado to to sink a battleship. It’s really okay if you dislike them; as you say many do. But I assure you, many enjoy their Twitter Spaces, podcast interviews, and enthusiasm toward IU sports.

Not sure on that... All 4 of our bigs are really good at certain things, but have holes or question marks in multiple areas. Udeh does as well.

Reneau is more skilled offensively.
Ware is more versatile in who he can guard, and is better on the perimeter offensively.
Walker is faster and quicker up and down the floor.
Sparks is more well rounded an offensive player.

Udeh would be our most efficient interior offensive player. And possibly our best post defender. But he isn't great away from the basket. He isn't overly versatile defensively. Doesn't seem to be all that good a passer.

If Woody were to go after Udeh...I'd basically fully give up on him having any desire to modernize, and play more perimeter oriented basketball.
So you're saying he is Purdue bound. Lol.

I really don’t care about opinions from people who offer no solutions. I hear criticism all the time from big talkers and a one big poser who evidently are fixated on negativity. I do care about efforts being made in the NIL world and conversations with current and former players, to which they have lead the charge. If left to the critics, we’d have $1.50 in the till but enough bravado to to sink a battleship. It’s really okay if you dislike them; as you say many do. But I assure you, many enjoy their Twitter Spaces, podcast interviews, and enthusiasm toward IU sports.
Well, there are a lot of really, really dumb people in the world. What more can I tell you? Championing those 2 buffoons isn’t a good look. Any time you want to admit to being their BFF is fine by me. They're a joke and literally anybody could do what they do and do it without being over-the-top, hey-look-at-me jacka$$es.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
So what happens during this time? Are the coaches still calling? Ppl offering money? Inquiring minds want to know!

Are you one of the hysterics? Wow.

Those “knuckleheads” are front and center of the basketball collective from Day 1 and a big reason we are even in the ballpark with top recruits. I so tire of the whining about them around here - you don’t have to like their style, and at least you did give credit for learning about Coach Ya on a recent podcast (and the current Anthony Walker podcast is worth a listen), but complaining is easy; “doing” is harder.
Walker seems like a outstanding young man after listening to the podcast

Reactions: hoosier0808
The few people I still know in the Sunflower state are hearing leaks that MM is coming to KU. I'll wait for "offical" news before I react. The surprising thing I heard is that they may be lining up truck$ for Bidunga already; grabbing someone from our home State bothers me even more.

The few people I still know in the Sunflower state are hearing leaks that MM is coming to KU. I'll wait for "offical" news before I react. The surprising thing I heard is that they may be lining up truck$ for Bidunga already; grabbing someone from our home State bothers me even more.
This is all based on what he told the KU coaches BEFORE he visited IU. They thought he would cancel all his upcoming visits (including IU) and just commit. But he decided to visit IU anyway (and bring his dad) and it was enough of a game changer that KU is no longer the lock they are all assuming he is...

The family will tell Slater before they tell anyone. This is not a normal recuritment. Slater is a personal family friend who they got to know and trust while Duke was recruiting their son. They specifically asked Slater to be a part of this process and have kept him as their main conduit every step of the way.

He was the person who they first told they were decommitting, they told him which schools they were visiting and when, and when they cancelled the UL visit Slater was who they told...There is no way that there is anything to leak,because the decision has not been made.
Here is what we know as of now:

1. Rabjohns knows nothing. He never has. Hard to believe he gets a paycheck.
2. Kansas fans think he is a lock to Kansas.
3. Cav thinks he is coming to IU.
4. He if following some IU guys on instigram so some fans think it is a tell of things to come.
5. The IU insider on another site has no idea.
Number 1 is stupid, esp with regards to this particular recruitment. There's a reason I keep emphasizing that Slater is the key. In addition to the Mgabo family, Slater is also VERY CLOSE FRIENDS with a certain IU beat writer.

I'll leave you to deduce who that might be...

The KU insiders might get lucky and have their guess be proven correct. But there is no way that the actual decision (if even made) has been shared by Slater with them first...

Then why did he leave Duke? Don't ignore logic here. He didn't leave Duke to play with more talented players elsewhere...
I agree as I always believe in using logic first. The situations will be much the same maybe slightly better than Duke.. but ... Knecht to IU made perfect sense, his path to playing time was much clearer than at Tenn and they at that time had 16 players committed. Ledlum also made sense, then, as his path was also much clearer... and yet...

It doesn't always follow logic.

What time is he supposed to announce today? Was that on any of the Slater tweets?

Folks, sometimes when everyone is telling you what’s going to happen that is actually what’s going to happen. It’s not rocket science. We were used as leverage here to maximize his deal with Kansas. Plus, if Slater has a friendship with Rabjohns as suggested by some, don’t you think we’d be getting some positive vibes/hints as opposed to radio silence if his pick was IU? It’s so obvious. Trust your instincts here.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
You don’t outbid Dollar $. I have no idea why anyone thought we had a chance here.
I think name recognition and the status of the two programs has more to do with it than money. IU is nicely positioned on the NIL front and with TJD and JHS gone there should be a lot of funds available. A fair comparison might be a top HS football player choosing between Michigan and Alabama. Both programs have great tradition, but Bama has a legendary coach and a program that's been at or near the top for the past 15 years. Kansas basketball has been a final four contender every year of Mgbako's life and just won it all in 2022, plus they'll be a favorite next season to win it all.

Reactions: sglowrider
I agree as I always believe in using logic first. The situations will be much the same maybe slightly better than Duke.. but ... Knecht to IU made perfect sense, his path to playing time was much clearer than at Tenn and they at that time had 16 players committed. Ledlum also made sense, then, as his path was also much clearer... and yet...

It doesn't always follow logic.

Our leagues style of play gets used A LOT against us whether people want to admit it or not. Coaches from other leagues absolutely use that against us and is the primary reason we didn't get Ledlum and is the reason we didn't get the kid that went to Bama a couple years ago, Clowney.

Yeah, we can offer playing time, but a lot of players don't want to come into a league where they get grabbed and yanked and fouls just aren't called.

People will call that soft, but the proof is in the pudding. How is our leagues recruiting compared to everyone else. Then, compare our leagues results to everyone else.

It's not good.

Reactions: bsmitty08
Our leagues style of play gets used A LOT against us whether people want to admit it or not. Coaches from other leagues absolutely use that against us and is the primary reason we didn't get Ledlum and is the reason we didn't get the kid that went to Bama a couple years ago, Clowney.

Yeah, we can offer playing time, but a lot of players don't want to come into a league where they get grabbed and yanked and fouls just aren't called.

People will call that soft, but the proof is in the pudding. How is our leagues recruiting compared to everyone else. Then, compare our leagues results to everyone else.

It's not good.
They might use it but if you watched a lot of NCAA tournament games I saw little difference in the league’s in terms of being physical. Even the refs let them play. Style of offense maybe. It kind of surprised me really. I do think style like Wisconsin, NW, Rutgers does hurt though.

They might use it but if you watched a lot of NCAA tournament games I saw little difference in the league’s in terms of being physical. Even the refs let them play. Style of offense maybe. It kind of surprised me really. I do think style like Wisconsin, NW, Rutgers does hurt though.

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just telling you the perception that is out there.

Look at this year's class... so far only one kid that is ranked a five star is committed to a Big 10 school (Booker). If we get MM to commit to us, Oregon will have the same amount of five star commits that the entire conference has. Last year's class, we had the only two 5 star commits the conference had. To put that in perspective, Houston, a non-P5 school, had two themselves. That means if we get MM today, the entire Big 10 would have pulled in a grand total of 4, that's four, five star kids over a two year period.

Kentucky has that number in this class alone.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy

Look at this year's class... so far only one kid that is ranked a five star is committed to a Big 10 school (Booker). If we get MM to commit to us, Oregon will have the same amount of five star commits that the entire conference has. Last year's class, we had the only two 5 star commits the conference had. To put that in perspective, Houston, a non-P5 school, had two themselves. That means if we get MM today, the entire Big 10 would have pulled in a grand total of 4, that's four, five star kids over a two year period.

Yeah agree. That’s why I said it surprised me. So hopefully parents and kids see what I saw.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie

. . . and Kentucky's track record for doing what with the 5* kids is what exactly?

Folks, sometimes when everyone is telling you what’s going to happen that is actually what’s going to happen. It’s not rocket science. We were used as leverage here to maximize his deal with Kansas. Plus, if Slater has a friendship with Rabjohns as suggested by some, don’t you think we’d be getting some positive vibes/hints as opposed to radio silence if his pick was IU? It’s so obvious. Trust your instincts here.
Everyone on twitter is saying it will be kansas and maybe they are right. Be funny if they were wrong though. But if it is I really hope we have some solid backup plans.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Everyone on twitter is saying it will be kansas and maybe they are right. Be funny if they were wrong though. But if it is I really hope we have some solid backup plans.
I’ll say Kansas when the 247 guys start picking. Those Rival guys and Twitter hacks are just that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT