ADVERTISEMENT

IU vs Eastern Michigan Prediction Thread

Jayhoosier83

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2017
We get our first look at what IU basketball will be in the Mike Woodson era on Tuesday night. Eastern Michigan finished last season at 16-16 and comes into this season predicted to finish 11th in the MAC and with a new head coach, Stan Heath. Funny thing is his last game at the previous MAC school he coached, Kent St, was against us in the Elite 8 when we beat them to go to the Final 4 in 2002. Now he's making his debut at EMU against us. Think we start off slowly, but pull away eventually.

IU 75 Eastern Michigan 55

Stan has nothing on the bench this year. Probably 3-4 years to build a MAC power, which he likely will. In the meantime IU in a laugher 97-51

• Haha
Reactions: genepoolpu
Stan has nothing on the bench this year. Probably 3-4 years to build a MAC power, which he likely will. In the meantime IU in a laugher 97-51
I could see 46 point beatdown but I have to believe we'll see a lot of Leal, Galloway, Duncomb, etc in the second half.

I could see 46 point beatdown but I have to believe we'll see a lot of Leal, Galloway, Duncomb, etc in the second half.
I almost hope this doesn't happen. The trouble with clear-the-bench blowouts is the team doesn't learn anything.

Often, the lesser team realizes it is doomed and quits trying early in the second half, while the better team sends in its bench and just starts rebounding and running like it's a layup drill.

Hopefully, if we have a big lead, Woodson will keep some of the starters in the game and insist we run a halfcourt offense instead of just a track meet.

Last edited:
We get our first look at what IU basketball will be in the Mike Woodson era on Tuesday night. Eastern Michigan finished last season at 16-16 and comes into this season predicted to finish 11th in the MAC and with a new head coach, Stan Heath. Funny thing is his last game at the previous MAC school he coached, Kent St, was against us in the Elite 8 when we beat them to go to the Final 4 in 2002. Now he's making his debut at EMU against us. Think we start off slowly, but pull away eventually.

Nearly impossible to say. Way too many unknowns, but we should beat them without issue. I’m going to guess that we have a few kinks to work out, and we win by 18. 76-58. Hopefully we score more.

Funny thing is his last game at the previous MAC school he coached, Kent St, was against us in the Elite 8 when we beat them to go to the Final 4 in 2002.
The PF on that Kent State team will be enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame a couple years from now.

i never expect a blow out in the first game. might happen. but it may be more "methodical" than a blow out.
kentucky struggled to get past a hot shooting team in Miles and trailed them at the half.

We get our first look at what IU basketball will be in the Mike Woodson era on Tuesday night.
Sounds like someone missed the BC Mega feeds. 🍏 🍏

Can't say about the game as it's likely to be heavy on bench play but I'll venture IU comes out smoking and jumps out to a big lead - say 25-8 midway in the first half.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Usually these early games IU tends to try to go for 100pts against cupcakes.
I say IU wins 101-76. Redshirt freshman team manager scores final points to get us over 100!

IND 76, EMU 72.

Until I see that we don’t struggle, I can’t pick us to not struggle. The nucleus of a team that wasn’t very good last year is back. I hope Woody isn’t Arch (who rode Crean’s players into a 19 point home loss to INST in his first game).
Trying to forget that ever happened

I almost hope this doesn't happen. The trouble with clear-the-bench blowouts is the team doesn't learn anything.

Often, the lesser team realizes it is doomed and quits trying early in the second half, while the better team sends in its bench and just starts rebounding and running like it's a layup drill.

Hopefully, if we have a big lead, Woodson will keep some of the starters in the game and insist we run a halfcourt offense instead of just a track meet.
I hope so, the mentality you describe is real and leads to losses against the IPFW's, Evansville's, and ISU's of the world. Play and destroy them, because our first real opponent will not be playing around, I think that is Syracuse, and they won't be plaing around, hopefully he's taught them how to beat a zone and press by now

I hope so, the mentality you describe is real and leads to losses against the IPFW's, Evansville's, and ISU's of the world. Play and destroy them, because our first real opponent will not be playing around, I think that is Syracuse, and they won't be playing around, hopefully he's taught them how to beat a zone and press by now
As an addendum to that thought, I really think that Lander could be key to that game. He is the one guard that we have that I think could possibly dissect that defense quickly, could be fun to watch for a change

On paper this is one of the few true cupcakes IU will play, but like IU they are a brand new look with a new coach wanting to get off on a good foot.

I think this is going to be Coach's first game to show off his commitment to defense. I think you'll see some crazy plays on the offense, but the impressive show will be on the lock-down D. My prediction is 82-50.

Reactions: 76-1
I’m thinking that it will take a few games to start hitting on all cylinders. However, there is too much talent on the IU team to lose this game. I think it’s close, but IU pulls it out, leasing by 8-10 points for most of the second half. 71 - 62.

• Haha
Reactions: NC_Trojan10
I’m thinking that it will take a few games to start hitting on all cylinders. However, there is too much talent on the IU team to lose this game. I think it’s close, but IU pulls it out, leasing by 8-10 points for most of the second half. 71 - 62.
I'll wager a Benjamin they win by at least 20.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
IND 76, EMU 72.

Until I see that we don’t struggle, I can’t pick us to not struggle. The nucleus of a team that wasn’t very good last year is back. I hope Woody isn’t Arch (who rode Crean’s players into a 19 point home loss to INST in his first game).
Same returners, new coach thank goodness

I assume they will be testing what they believe to be true. This is one of the weaker NC opponents so a good time to do so.

Eastern Michigan has plenty of size downlow. So that will be interesting to see how that plays out, but I have Indiana 82-EaMich 55.
TJD starts off his campaign as B1GPOY with 18pts/8 rebs.
The Ammax coal industries hardest working player of the game? Jordan Geronimo-7pts/8rebs and 4 steals.

IND 76, EMU 72.

I think our struggles the past several years has been guard play and the majority of backcourt minutes will go to Xavier, Parker, and Tamar, who are all newcomers. Oh, then there’s the new coaching staff. The nucleus is mostly on the bench or unemployed.

I’m not so much worried about the score. What I will be looking for is the attitude. Will our guys look like they want to play and like they love to play? Will we finally see a chemistry and ease of play amongst the guys that we just didn’t see under Archie? It always looked like these guys hated playing for Archie.

I’m wondering if IU will go something like 9 for 20 on free throws?
These guys will be clanging more metal than the local pipe fitter union.

• Haha
Reactions: 82IU
102-56. Mike Woodson era starts off with a bang. Coach wants them to average 90, lets do dis
Who draws Noah Farrakhan? Sounds like a kid who play at a high major. Would like to see Jordan come off the bench and take it personal and get up in him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT