ADVERTISEMENT

IU trouncing Rutgers or Purdue topping Iowa?

What performance was more surprising?

• The Hoosiers overwhelming Rutgers 41-0 at home

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Purdue's road win over Iowa 24-15

Votes: 54 64.3%
  • They were equally surprising performances

Votes: 21 25.0%

• Total voters

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
I thing most people on here were scratching their heads about the Hoosiers giving 11 points. Iowa was -6.

That is a tough one. Iowa has really fallen off a cliff since the OSU game.
Iowa can't run the ball, and their entire offense is predicated on the ability to do that. Without that, there is no play action, no meaningful use of the tight end, which has been an Iowa staple, and no downfield passing game. They have a very good front 7, but they get left on the field too much and wear out. Purdue exploited those weaknesses, hit a couple of passes down the field, built a small lead, and never looked back.

IU can and should beat them, but they'll need a semblance of a running game to go with Lagow's very good passing skills. Cobbs also needs to catch the ball, something that continues to be an issue for him. And special teams must be solid. Iowa's were poor yesterday and Purdue took advantage.

The OC and passing offense made Iowa D look awful and maybe they are.

Not sure they can do that to Fant and Friends.

I know things, and I know Indiana has the better football team by a wider margin than slim. Indiana should be the clear favorite heading into this game. Indiana is peaking right now, that's a sign of good coaching. Hats off to Allen.

Louisville looked terrible against Purdue, they weren't focused at all. You can bet the farm Indiana will be focused on boot stomping Purdue's ass.

Should be a tight game. Their D is much better than what we've seen the past two years. Their O is about the same.

I would've preferred facing their other injured QB, he was always good for tossing up at least two key INT's. Hopefully their backup will keep up that tradition.

The game that tells me most about both teams was when both teams played MI this year. Both of the losses were much closer than the final score indicated (in my opinion).

This one will come down to the old adage of: "whoever wants it more", in my opinion.

Reactions: Lazz81
I’m obviously biased having played for Indiana, and I still can’t emphatically say that IU is better than Purdue this year. I am also a realest and saw Purdue live a few times this year, and saw Indiana live. Purdue is a completely different team under this new coach, and they can actually run the ball. They’re playing with passion that they didn’t have last year, so it won’t be a cake walk like a couple of years ago when we went up there and kicked their ass. This is a completely different team. My concern is their front 7. They play physical and the linebackers #4 and #21 play fast and physical. They also have a graduate LB who we played against from WKU a couple of years ago, and I know that he’s a decent player. Combine that with the fact that they can run the Ball, and they could very well pull off a win.

I hate Purdue, but I am also a realist. They don’t have talent per se, but they are physical, and in a game that will come down to who can run the ball and who can stop the run, they definitely are a formidable opponent unlike the past few years.

On paper it is really tight. We might have the special teams edge but they have home field. Sindelar kind of scares me, he can throw on the run and has a cannon.

Reactions: Superstar84b
On paper it is really tight. We might have the special teams edge but they have home field. Sindelar kind of scares me, he can throw on the run and has a cannon.

Sindelar appears to have the arm strength of Lagow with better accuracy. Our secondary is strong and they have the opportunity to shut that down a bit.

It looks like an even game on paper. But then the Rutgers game looked pretty even on paper too. This is why they play the game.

Reactions: 76-1
It looks like an even game on paper. But then the Rutgers game looked pretty even on paper too. This is why they play the game.

I think we are really playing our best football right now and maybe finally playing up to potential, so there's that. They might say the same thing. If we play the way we did against Rutgers I think we win. Not too sure they are going to allow that however. Should be a dogfight.

Reactions: 76-1 and Indianaftw
I think we are really playing our best football right now and maybe finally playing up to potential, so there's that. They might say the same thing. If we play the way we did against Rutgers I think we win. Not too sure they are going to allow that however. Should be a dogfight.
If we play the way we did against rutgers...mistake free, complete game on offense and defense purdue will get bitchslapped. That was the best I have seen IU play in years. Everyone was always wondering when we will have a complete game. The only way we lose this game is if we shoot ourselves in the foot. I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

If we play the way we did against rutgers...mistake free, complete game on offense and defense purdue will get bitchslapped. That was the best I have seen IU play in years. Everyone was always wondering when we will have a complete game. The only way we lose this game is if we shoot ourselves in the foot. I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

Rutgers didn't show up. IU played great, and deserves all the credit for that, but PU won't be anywhere near as flat as Rutgers was yesterday.

We probably won’t be as flat as Iowa was either.

Agreed . . . although it's never possible to know when you go on the road. Sometimes just the traveling can take it out of a team.

But I'd bet IU shows up to play . . . and a primary question is whether IU shows up with its poise. If so, could be a great game.

Agreed . . . although it's never possible to know when you go on the road. Sometimes just the traveling can take it out of a team.

But I'd bet IU shows up to play . . . and a primary question is whether IU shows up with its poise. If so, could be a great game.
Biggest question for me is whether our OL can hold up well enough to give Lagow time to throw, doubt we will have much luck running it unless we can loosen them up with the pass. Hope Ian Thomas is ok , he looked like he got dinged on a tackle after his last catch, he could be a big weapon in this game.

Yes I was wondering how bad was his injury.
I don't think Purdue will play poorly at all. They have made a remarkable turn around under their new coach, even an IU fan has to admit that.
But IU is playing well and should have the confidence that comes with winning. They've played with few mistakes the last two games. The refs have stayed out of it. They played complete games (played well in the second half). Ran well, passed well. If this formula repeats itself this Saturday I believe IU keeps the bucket.

Purdue has been without its top back for awhile now. Then just this past week lost one of its top backs in Worship. He was their big bruiser type. So running the ball has been a struggle. I see IU's defense keeping Purdue's offense pretty much in check. While Purdue needs to keep IU from running the ball and getting after the QB. Purdue realistically should have two more wins Nebraska and Rutgers. I know IU played really tough in a couple of their losses. So I think both teams are better than their records. Weather will play a big factor. Seems like the last few years the wind has been huge in deciding the game. Special teams will play a big part. I know IU has struggled a bit in that area. Well don't worry too much. I think Purdue's longest KR has been about 17 yards and PR has been about 7.

I look for take always to be a huge factor Sat. Our Db's need to catch the Ints not just bat em down. If we can get a few monster sacks it will help big time. I look for Ellison to have a huge game. We just need to have ball security as a priority this week. Our kicking game is better and it just might be the difference.

We need our leaders to step up this week- seniors. Play error free football and Finish. Breakthrough. Leo

Purdue has been without its top back for awhile now. Then just this past week lost one of its top backs in Worship. He was their big bruiser type. So running the ball has been a struggle. I see IU's defense keeping Purdue's offense pretty much in check. While Purdue needs to keep IU from running the ball and getting after the QB. Purdue realistically should have two more wins Nebraska and Rutgers. I know IU played really tough in a couple of their losses. So I think both teams are better than their records. Weather will play a big factor. Seems like the last few years the wind has been huge in deciding the game. Special teams will play a big part. I know IU has struggled a bit in that area. Well don't worry too much. I think Purdue's longest KR has been about 17 yards and PR has been about 7.
IU’s special teams is ranked 12th nationally according to the S&P+. Purdue is in the 80s.

I look for take always to be a huge factor Sat. Our Db's need to catch the Ints not just bat em down. If we can get a few monster sacks it will help big time. I look for Ellison to have a huge game. We just need to have ball security as a priority this week. Our kicking game is better and it just might be the difference.

We need our leaders to step up this week- seniors. Play error free football and Finish. Breakthrough. Leo

Curious why you expect Ellison to have a huge game? Not saying it can’t or won’t happen but if anything, I’d project one of IU’s receivers to have a big game. Purdue’s strength on defense is against the run.

Curious why you expect Ellison to have a huge game? Not saying it can’t or won’t happen but if anything, I’d project one of IU’s receivers to have a big game. Purdue’s strength on defense is against the run.
I’d agree, our running game has been spotty at best, Ellison is capable but playing hurt. Only way we have luck running is if we can be successful throwing it first.

I said Purdue’s return game has been awful. I just thought IU has had problems with ST this season. If not no worries. My bad.
We had a nightmare special teams game against Maryland which cost us the game, blocked punt for TD, blocked PAT and a long KO return leading to a TD. Against PSU Barkley returned the opening kick for a TD (which he also did against OSU), other than that our ST have been solid , but far from spectacular. Oakes is a quality place kicker having a great year, and his kickoffs are mostly good.

Reactions: 82hoosier
I’d agree, our running game has been spotty at best, Ellison is capable but playing hurt. Only way we have luck running is if we can be successful throwing it first.

Agreed. If I had to pick one IU guy to go off I’d pick Simmie.

We had a nightmare special teams game against Maryland which cost us the game, blocked punt for TD, blocked PAT and a long KO return leading to a TD. Against PSU Barkley returned the opening kick for a TD (which he also did against OSU), other than that our ST have been solid , but far from spectacular. Oakes is a quality place kicker having a great year, and his kickoffs are mostly good.

How often does Oakes get touchbacks?

Agreed. If I had to pick one IU guy to go off I’d pick Simmie.
Except I would imagine Simmie will draw Hunte and a lot of attention. I’d watch for Philyor and Thomas (TE) if he’s healthy, he has been playing hurt and limited plays lately. Lagow also likes Timian, should be an interesting game. In my view, as I said above, the game will depend on our OL’s ability to pass protect against a good PU DL. Lagow is not good at moving in the pocket or avoiding the rush, if pressured he is prone to making mistakes that are costly (either taking a sack as opposed to throwing it away to live another day or throwing int’s) Given time he can hurt you, to me that is the key to the game.

Reactions: IUfbfan67
He does pretty regularly, but at times, he inexplicably does not even though he has the wind at his back.

Gotcha. That’s been a big deal for us this year. We have a grad transfer from Baylor who regularly kicks it through the end zone. I think he had more touch backs after 2 games than we did all of last season.

Gotcha. That’s been a big deal for us this year. We have a grad transfer from Baylor who regularly kicks it through the end zone. I think he had more touch backs after 2 games than we did all of last season.

I don't know if there has been any statistical comparisons but, for the life of me, I have no idea why KRs (IU's included because it's happened all year) field a kickoff 1-2 yards deep in the endzone and try to bring it out?

We almost always lose 4-5 yards in field position trying to run a ball out kicked in the endzone. You get an automatic placement at the 25. Take it. Kids that cannot judge holes or blocking end up taking the ball out and get buried at the 20 yard line or worse. It frustrates me every time. Seems like a no-brainer, like taking a pitch on a 3-0 count. I mean, the odds cannot be that good if the ball crosses the goal line to try and run it out past the 25. And I see all these KRs going toward the short sideline where they get bottled up. Unless you are dynamic back there, I don't see the reason everybody thinks they are Devin Hester or Dion Sanders.

He does pretty regularly, but at times, he inexplicably does not even though he has the wind at his back.
I think they occasionally call that play trying to get a tackle short like at the ten yard line. Usually this is a little bit of a higher kick giving the team more time to get down there.

I think they occasionally call that play trying to get a tackle short like at the ten yard line. Usually this is a little bit of a higher kick giving the team more time to get down there.
I agree, they do, but he also at times doesn’t seem to get all of it (like my driver !)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT