ADVERTISEMENT

D1Baseball did their B1G preview today...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
Earlier, iubase.com posted some items on their X account about it. While D1 called IU's position player group the best in the conference, they placed IU in 2nd place behind Iowa over the Hawkeyes returning pitching led by Brecht and Morgan. They said that if Iowa's Cade Obermueller can overcome his control issues, Iowa could have the premier pitching rotation in college baseball. Their top five were in order Iowa, IU, Rutgers, Maryland, and Nebraska. As I've posted before, I expect the preseason polling of the B1G coaches to also have Iowa and IU, 1-2 in their poll.

D1 had Devin Taylor as their preseason B1G Player of the Year. They also had Andrew Wiggins as their B1G Freshman of the Year. As expected, Iowa's Brody Brecht was their B1G Pitcher of the Year.

Most of their IU preview was the same as their fall report on IU which I previously posted about. Here were their comments on question marks for IU:

"Similar to last season, there’s some uncertainty in the starting rotation heading into the spring. Luke Sinnard answered the call last year, going 6-3, 4.27 and setting the school’s strikeout record (114), but he’ll miss the season with an injury. Sophomore righthanders Brayden Reisdorph (3-1, 4.47) and Connor Foley have legitimate arm talent, and coach Jeff Mercer is optimistic about the overall depth on the mound. While the position player group is the best in the conference, up-the-middle defense is something to monitor after the departures of veteran stalwarts at catcher, shortstop and center field."

Their glue guys:

"An unsung hero on last year’s squad, Ryan Kraft (6-1, 2.77, 5 SV) was second on the team in innings despite working almost exclusively out of the pen. After refining his secondaries in the fall, he could be a welcome veteran presence in the rotation. Fourth outfielder Morgan Colopy is an elite defender and a righthanded option among a sea of lefties. A two-year starter at Houston, second baseman Brandon Burckel’s experience will pay dividends."

Added: They expect only Iowa and IU to make the regionals this season.

Last edited:
Earlier, iubase.com posted some items on their X account about it. While D1 called IU's position player group the best in the conference, they placed IU in 2nd place behind Iowa over the Hawkeyes returning pitching led by Brecht and Morgan. They said that if Iowa's Cade Obermueller can overcome his control issues, Iowa could have the premier pitching rotation in college baseball. Their top five were in order Iowa, IU, Rutgers, Maryland, and Nebraska. As I've posted before, I expect the preseason polling of the B1G coaches to also have Iowa and IU, 1-2 in their poll.

D1 had Devin Taylor as their preseason B1G Player of the Year. They also had Andrew Wiggins as their B1G Freshman of the Year. As expected, Iowa's Brody Brecht was their B1G Pitcher of the Year.

Most of their IU preview was the same as their fall report on IU which I previously posted about. Here were their comments on question marks for IU:

"Similar to last season, there’s some uncertainty in the starting rotation heading into the spring. Luke Sinnard answered the call last year, going 6-3, 4.27 and setting the school’s strikeout record (114), but he’ll miss the season with an injury. Sophomore righthanders Brayden Reisdorph (3-1, 4.47) and Connor Foley have legitimate arm talent, and coach Jeff Mercer is optimistic about the overall depth on the mound. While the position player group is the best in the conference, up-the-middle defense is something to monitor after the departures of veteran stalwarts at catcher, shortstop and center field."

Their glue guys:

"An unsung hero on last year’s squad, Ryan Kraft (6-1, 2.77, 5 SV) was second on the team in innings despite working almost exclusively out of the pen. After refining his secondaries in the fall, he could be a welcome veteran presence in the rotation. Fourth outfielder Morgan Colopy is an elite defender and a righthanded option among a sea of lefties. A two-year starter at Houston, second baseman Brandon Burckel’s experience will pay dividends."

Added: They expect only Iowa and IU to make the regionals this season.
Thank you for your continued support of the baseball forum. Excellent! respectfully, Mobile.

The B1G coaches preseason polling came out yesterday and went as expected.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT