ADVERTISEMENT

IU has the team we all hoped for to begin the season,

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
it's just our women's team. I was traveling Sunday and didn't watch the MSU game until last night and by that time, I'd read enough to kind of know the flow of the game. But, when I was done, it showed IU v UM on my library, as I record the women's game too and so I switched over and watched the 2nd half of that game live. Gals went to Ann Arbor and gutted out a win there. The women have such a good team that plays well together and has great chemistry. Dominant inside-outside in Holmes and Berger, but they are far from the only threats. Excellent shooters from all phases. They shot 52% on FGs, 50% on 3s and 71% on FTs, which was probably a down night for them at the stripe. UM is a good team and I think there are 6-7 B10 teams ranked, but IU controlled the 2nd half and stemmed any runs UM made. These girls just don't seem to get rattled and regroup when the other team lands a blow or two.

Iowa went in to Columbus last night and beat the undefeated Buckeye ladies, so there are no unbeaten B10 teams. The women's B10 is excellent, but I believe our girls are going to be there in the end, with the team they have. Watch, you'll become a fan!

PS: No better game to watch than this Thursday when the #2 ranked Lady Buckeyes visit Btown @ 8:30!

Last edited:
They are good. IU needs to keep the coach around too. Make the investment.
well they have given her multiple extensions and her current deal runs thru the 26-27 year and her total compensation after bonuses could be in the 7 figure area so I would consider that investing in her!!!

True. These lady Hoosiers are great to watch. I’m following womens basketball like never before because of this team.
A couple of observations......I think Holmes is actually better with her left hand than with her right.

Scalia, the kid from Minnesota, shoots FTs with a low arch reminiscent of Steve Alford. With the same results. She also has an amazingly quick release on her 3s.

Reactions: kkott
They are good. IU needs to keep the coach around too. Make the investment.

The only thing they lack to be ultra-elite, imo, is a very tall, athletic shot-blocking interior player. I think they have everything else. I see them as a FF contender but not really a NC contender.

I agree their games are great to attend. The smaller crowd and smaller price tag make it a good time and a good bargain. The girls also actually like the fans.

Last edited:
well, I think a lot of women's teams lack a tall, athletic shot blocker, as I think those types are just rarer in women's ball (if they're tall and athletic, they're normally starting, imo), but we do seem to have depth in the post. Don't both Geary and Meister come off the bench as post players? I thought Geary looked pretty solid early in the year but she doesn't seem to be getting many minutes now, and maybe Meister has jumped her? She played 4 years at Providence, so good experience.

well they have given her multiple extensions and her current deal runs thru the 26-27 year and her total compensation after bonuses could be in the 7 figure area so I would consider that investing in her!!!
Great Hoosier State pedigree too! Played at Seymour, IN All Star, 4 year player at PU, assistant at Butler, Coached at U of I, ISU and now IU. Plus in interviews you can tell she just "gets it" and is a good coach and person who her players seem to like. Could be our RMK on the women's side. If this team stays healthy, they are a legit F4 contender. I'm anxious to see how Thursday goes as I've not seen any of the other top women's teams besides UM.

I also want to watch SC play, as I just question if anyone can beat them, from what I hear.

The only thing they lack to be ultra-elite, imo, is a very tall, athletic shot-blocking interior player. I think they have everything else. I see them as a FF contender but not really a NC contender.

I agree their games are great to attend. The smaller crowd and smaller price tag make it a good time and a good bargain. The girls also actually like the fans.
I've got my tickets. Myself and the oldest GD are going. Her first visit to the hall, hates basketball but Grampa is starting to work on her ! :p

well, I think a lot of women's teams lack a tall, athletic shot blocker, as I think those types are just rarer in women's ball (if they're tall and athletic, they're normally starting, imo), but we do seem to have depth in the post. Don't both Geary and Meister come off the bench as post players? I thought Geary looked pretty solid early in the year but she doesn't seem to be getting many minutes now, and maybe Meister has jumped her? She played 4 years at Providence, so good experience.
I agree very few teams have someone like that; if we did we'd be South Carolina or old U Conn.........
I've got my tickets. Myself and the oldest GD are going. Her first visit to the hall, hates basketball but Grampa is starting to work on her ! :p
I wonder what the crowd will be? Sunday afternoon crowds have been averaging in the 6000-7000 range. Does this one make it to 10000? I wonder if IU will make any additional effort at promotion? Doubtful, imo.

Hopefully we can give Clark a attitude adjustment when we go against the Hawkeyes..
Yeah she can really ball..But also thinks every call should go her way..
Never fouls..And is always fouled..

A couple of observations......I think Holmes is actually better with her left hand than with her right.

Scalia, the kid from Minnesota, shoots FTs with a low arch reminiscent of Steve Alford. With the same results. She also has an amazingly quick release on her 3s.
A couple more observations: 1. Garzan scares me. You don't know what she's going to do, good or bad. I feel I pretty much know what to expect of the other rotational players; and 2. How good of an all-around player is Moore-McNeil these days? She's really elevated her game this year.

Hopefully we can give Clark a attitude adjustment when we go against the Hawkeyes..
Yeah she can really ball..But also thinks every call should go her way..
Never fouls..And is always fouled..
That's a scary team with her and the big girl underneath. Not sure how well we match up with them. Clark had 15 assists against OSU.

Dust off the old Box and 1??

A couple more observations: 1. Garzan scares me. You don't know what she's going to do, good or bad. I feel I pretty much know what to expect of the other rotational players; and 2. How good of an all-around player is Moore-McNeil these days? She's really elevated her game this year.

Garzan is my favorite player on this team. She's young and will be great. And she's scary as a person lol. Her Instagram post when she first got to bloomington is priceless. " I flew 3000 miles just to say f*** purdue" she has cleaned up the language since then but I love players that have that fight

The girls also actually like the fans.
Hold on here. This is where people get out over their skis about this crap. What grounds do you have to imply that the men don’t appreciate the fans? Just because TJD exposed an idiot on social media? It’s ridiculous of you to post that.

Reactions: Al Bino
That's a scary team with her and the big girl underneath. Not sure how well we match up with them. Clark had 15 assists against OSU.

Dust off the old Box and 1??
Clark is going to score no matter what you do. You have to make her take more shots to get her points

I think Moore-McNeil is my favorite player to watch. Whatever she's doing, she's doing it 110%. I think the player most likely to make you say Wow! Generally doesn't score as much as some of the others, but she does everything else: steals, blocks, assists... fun to watch.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Garzan is averaging 12.3ppg, shooting 50% from the field and on 3s and 85% from the line, 4 rpg and 3 apg. Pretty good #s as a #3 or 4 player who's a freshman by class. I don't notice her doing much to hurt the team, but she does somewhat disappear at times, but goodness, she's out there with Holmes, Berger, Parrish and Moore-McNeil! Not too scary to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT