ADVERTISEMENT

IU doesn't deserve Tom Crean.

What was wrong with Brad Daugherty in that game because I don't remember him having an injury. I know Smith had a wrist injury but still played in that game.
Daugherty had injured his hand earlier in the year and he was limited by it throughout the game. We saw it in warm ups that night, just as we had seen it the previous weekend in Charlotte (UNC stayed in our hotel). Carolina was forced to go with Joe Wolf earlier than they wanted to, and he had trouble with Blab's size.

Daugherty had injured his hand earlier in the year and he was limited by it throughout the game. We saw it in warm ups that night, just as we had seen it the previous weekend in Charlotte (UNC stayed in our hotel). Carolina was forced to go with Joe Wolf earlier than they wanted to, and he had trouble with Blab's size.
I did not remember that but Joe Wolf ended up a pretty good player at UNC and was a first round draft pick as well.

Reactions: Lucy01
Not so sure how different BG was from DS. (other than Smith getting a bunch of latitude BG didn't) RMK once opined of Dean, "Never has so little been done with so much". No way Smith should have lost to us with Jordan, Perkins and Worthy and yet, Dean found a way. He did it a number of other times with superior talent.

Roy has to win three more games and is probably the odds on favorite to do so. If I'm a Tarheel fan, I'm worried it won't happen. As an outsider, I'd bet against it.

Dean Smith is the most over-rated coach in all of sports.

He had more talent than God and only won two Titles....and both were flukes.

I did not remember that but Joe Wolf ended up a pretty good player at UNC and was a first round draft pick as well.
Wolf was Mr. Basketball in Wisconsin over Todd Meier and was really skilled, but he wasn't close to the athlete Daugherty was (he entered UNC as a 16 year old freshman, and started from Day One).

Yeah I doubt Pitt would have interest in Crean. It's not that he's a terrible coach or that Pitt will do much better. It's more of that the guy is an ego maniac and a total control freak. He's an AD's nightmare and not someone people want to work with.

I've heard from plenty of people that the guy isn't well liked by those in the coaching community. I know a couple of varsity coaches in Indiana and both said they loathe Crean. They also said the feeling was mutual throughout the Hoosier state. He's a good family man and person but rubs most people the wrong way and the last person you'd ever want to work with.
That's 100% false

Horsecrap.

Did Carolina play well? Yes.

But we did a poor job of rotating to shooters. Crean had his usual bizarre substitutions.

If you want to accept these results, more power to you. Crean has been to 3 Sweet Sixteens and been thoroughly beaten each time.

There comes a point in time when you realize that results aren't a coincidence. Some of us have reached that point. Truly sorry you still can't see it.
Horse crap to you dude!! You whine constantly and that's cool if that's how you wanna play but Paige hit 3 from 25 foot, couple off breaks, couple more w guys running at him that he made. It was there night, our times coming, they are better than us w our injuries and that's fact. I'd be perfectly fine if IU plays the way they did from mid December to now!

Horse crap to you dude!! You whine constantly and that's cool if that's how you wanna play but Paige hit 3 from 25 foot, couple off breaks, couple more w guys running at him that he made. It was there night, our times coming, they are better than us w our injuries and that's fact. I'd be perfectly fine if IU plays the way they did from mid December to now!
Guess you'll be satisfied with Sweet 16's then.

Reactions: russelltodd
I'm sick of hearing about "tradition"....IU basketball is now ancient history. This program should not be taking a back seat to Syracuse, Villanova and Notre Dame in the NCAA tournament.
Along w Kansas Duke and Kentucky huh? Times have changed w parity in college basketball, that's a good thing.

Reactions: becauseIknow
Read the book The Legend's Club.

BG left because Tar Heel fans weren't happy with his results. Carolina barely got into the 2000 tournament as an 8th seed, but played well enough to get on a roll and catch some breaks to get to the Final Four. Even with that, fans weren't happy because they'd seen what BG could do for 3 seasons. Talent masked a lot of his shortcomings; same as they do Calipari and Crean.
You of all people are comparing our talent w those 2 teams? Lol

If the tournament proved anything to IU and the rest of the Big Ten, it's that they moved up significantly in weight class (and it showed). IU would be no better than fourth in this year's Pac 12 and likely 5th or below in both the ACC and Big 12. UNC won because they were superior to IU all over the floor and on the bench. Not being able to handle Paige was only one example of their superiority.

Guess you'll be satisfied with Sweet 16's then.
I'll be satisfied knowing we are playing good team basketball, playing our asses off, playing for each other, playing w great fundamentals and playing w that IU passion!! Winning championships and going to elite 8s, final 4s are extremely tough and icing on the cake.

I'll be satisfied knowing we are playing good team basketball, playing our asses off, playing for each other, playing w great fundamentals and playing w that IU passion!! Winning championships and going to elite 8s, final 4s are extremely tough and icing on the cake.
If you've watched with even a rudimentary understanding of the game, you'd understand that "team basketball", "playing for each other", and "playing with great fundamentals" are basically exclusive to the offensive end of the floor. Team defense is not now nor has it ever been a hallmark of Crean coached teams. He's much more an advocate of individual defensive principles rather than a team approach. The games and results don't lie.

Reactions: Paterfamilias
W out 2 starting guards? You really believe your crap you spew?

Johnson missed how many games? Okay, we won our version
W out 2 starting guards? You really believe your crap you spew?

crap i spew? okay, have it your way. it's all good. crean is just the unluckiest coach ever. injuries only happen at IU

• jordy got hurt; syracuse crushes us in s16. damn the luck
  • don't have enough shooters despite 2 burger boys and conference 6th man of the year; miss tourney. man, we are so unlucky
  • don't have enough bigs despite 2 burger boys; get beat first round. sooo unlucky
  • have a muy talented team; win (uneven and down) conference. UNC crushes us in s16. luck is not our friend again

always something. seriously, good tourney coaches find ways to win tourney games. it's that simple. but please keep the excuses up.

If you've watched with even a rudimentary understanding of the game, you'd understand that "team basketball", "playing for each other", and "playing with great fundamentals" are basically exclusive to the offensive end of the floor. Team defense is not now nor has it ever been a hallmark of Crean coached teams. He's much more an advocate of individual defensive principles rather than a team approach. The games and results don't lie.
We were much better the last half of the season, sometimes it's not your night, I hope it carries over to next season. I'm not thrilled w how we play at times but I think he's put a solid group together and w no big defections and the guys coming in the time is now.

"Winning championships and going to elite 8s, final 4s are extremely tough and icing on the cake."

hahahahhahahahahah

well, icing on the cake except for the other coaches in his pay grade.

Johnson missed how many games? Okay, we won our version

crap i spew? okay, have it your way. it's all good. crean is just the unluckiest coach ever. injuries only happen at IU

• jordy got hurt; syracuse crushes us in s16. damn the luck
  • don't have enough shooters despite 2 burger boys and conference 6th man of the year; miss tourney. man, we are so unlucky
  • don't have enough bigs despite 2 burger boys; get beat first round. sooo unlucky
  • have a muy talented team; win (uneven and down) conference. UNC crushes us in s16. luck is not our friend again

always something. seriously, good tourney coaches find ways to win tourney games. it's that simple. but please keep the excuses up.
You my friend said we were firing on all cylinders which is nonsense. I'm talking about this game, RJ would've been a huge factor, offensively and mostly defensively he'd have helped.

"Winning championships and going to elite 8s, final 4s are extremely tough and icing on the cake."

hahahahhahahahahah

well, icing on the cake except for the other coaches in his pay grade.
It's your right to be a negative fan, I'm not like that, if it's so easy why are their so many teams who've never made a final 4 or won a NC? Probably cause from your coach it seems that way, in reality people in the coaching biz get it.

Is there any way to contact a mod? I had a post yanked and it said, "You had a post yanked for making stuff up. If you keep it up you'll quickly lose your posting privileges. Save that for other boards"

Not trying to be difficult, bit I honestly don't remember what post he's talking about and I can't respond.

Also, I find that warning a little odd because Purdue and Kentucky fans troll these boards non-stop and I've never seen a board in my life that lets opposing fans do that.

Is there any way to contact a mod? I had a post yanked and it said, "You had a post yanked for making stuff up. If you keep it up you'll quickly lose your posting privileges. Save that for other boards"

Not trying to be difficult, bit I honestly don't remember what post he's talking about and I can't respond.

Also, I find that warning a little odd because Purdue and Kentucky fans troll these boards non-stop and I've never seen a board in my life that lets opposing fans do that.
Simple, stop making things up.

I've never seen a board that lets home town 'fans" troll non-stop, either.

Read closely, I said I'll be satisfied w these things, never said we do it all the time now. Troy makes it hard to watch at times because the lack of fundamentals from him.
Why SHOULDN'T you do it all the time?

Because of coaching - THAT'S why!!

"We're settlers, son"

You my friend said we were firing on all cylinders which is nonsense. I'm talking about this game, RJ would've been a huge factor, offensively and mostly defensively he'd have helped.

No, he said we were firing on all pistons.

Reactions: rosscoe
Not so sure how different BG was from DS. (other than Smith getting a bunch of latitude BG didn't) RMK once opined of Dean, "Never has so little been done with so much". No way Smith should have lost to us with Jordan, Perkins and Worthy and yet, Dean found a way. He did it a number of other times with superior talent.

I think Knight said that of Dale Brown. Weren't Knight and Smith golf buddies?

I think Knight said that of Dale Brown. Weren't Knight and Smith golf buddies?

You are right about that quote being about Dale Brown.(I believe another poster pointed that out and provided a link) I don't think they were golf buddies but I'll say for certain that I don't know...or really care. The point was that with ALL of the talent Smith had, two NCAA titles appears as underperforming to me.

You are right about that quote being about Dale Brown.(I believe another poster pointed that out and provided a link) I don't think they were golf buddies but I'll say for certain that I don't know...or really care. The point was that with ALL of the talent Smith had, two NCAA titles appears as underperforming to me.

My bad. It wouldn't surprise me if Knight thought that, but I don't recall him being outwardly critical of Smith. As someone else alluded to elsewhere, Smith may have only had one title had Alan Henderson been healthy in 1993.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT