ADVERTISEMENT

IU and Vandy separating themselves for Romeo?

I’ve said repeatedly that I think Archie is better and that I wouldn’t trade him for Drew. That is on the belief that I think he’ll catch up to Drew in recruiting.

Your only argument for Archie includes an If. And you don’t realize how ridiculous it sounds.

Lies.

Yeah and if we land Romeo that pushes us to the 6th best class in the country per 247sports with a score of 66.03. That’s two spots ahead of Vandys class IF we get Romeo because that would push Vandy to number 8.

Reactions: fpeaugh
He’s literally been there one season. And he went to the tournament his first year. Now he’s having a rebuilding year and is loaded in next year’s class. At Vandy, like you said.

You won’t have to remind me of anything. I think Archie will have more success at IU than Drew will have at Vandy. But I think Drew will be successful as well. Some of you snowflakes are just so blind and soft you can’t give anyone else an ounce of credit.

He took over a team that went to the NCAA the previous year and lost no one.

He kept his 3 best players from last year and has 7 wins. IU will have more B10 wins than Vandy will have total wins.

Drew can be successful, and he might pull off a 20 win season next year, but he is out the door to somewhere else once he gets any success at Vandy. Drew is at Vandy for a reason

Keep slowly backing up......

Again, has that happened yet?

You can’t predict a trend. Trends are based on historical data. By definition. Not my opinion.

Definition of trend
1a : a prevailing tendency or inclination : drift
  • current trends in education
b : a general movement : swing
  • the trend toward suburban living
c : a current style or preference : vogue
  • new fashion trends
d : a line of development : approach
  • new trends in cancer research
2: the general movement over time of a statistically detectable change; also : a statistical curve reflecting such a change

3: a line of general direction or movement
  • the trend of the coast turned toward the west
Of course you can predict a trend. You can also create a trend. Quit being ridiculous. You take the “historical data” and you apply that to the overall outlook of both programs and you can totally predict trends. In this specific case we can start with the current rosters. Both are flawed but IU is in a much better place going into next season as far as who will be returning. Which teams roster is more talented can be derived from their records. IU is better already and will be adding at least 6 new players to the roster next year. Vandy sucks and will only be adding 3 players unless someone gets Drew’d. IU has a true team being built and there are mostly 4 year, 4* players being added to create a real team. Vandy is after a 1 & done SG to pair with a 5* PG that won’t be a 4 year player. Simi might or might not contribute next year and he’s a 1 & done. Cupboard is starting to look really bare at Vandy and IU looks balanced. That’s the best case scenario for Vandy too. No Romeo and they’ll be terrible and have a losing record again. Bottom line is that IU and Archie are trending up and are doing it in a sustainable manner. Drew is definitely trending down from last year and his only positive is this recruiting class. If Drew misses out on Romeo he’s got a terrible team heading into next year and coming off a losing season. If Archie misses out on Romeo he’s still improved his overall roster and his team will be better next year than this year.

Using the current top 25 IU has played...

#3 Purdump
#4 Molestation State University twice
#9 Duke
#14 Ohio State
#20 Michigan

Six games, 3 at home, ave rank of 9

Also played Louisville at the yum, Seton Hall at their place and a fully healthy Notre Dame when they were ranked.

Vandy off the top of my head has played...

#2 Virgina
#8 Auburn
#15 Tennessee
#24 Kentucky

Not including Arizona State, TCU and Seton Hall

4 games, ave rank of 12

6 > 4
9 > 12

You are better at the bottom of your schedule I'll give you that (you probably are in the 80-200 teams and we played more 200-350) but you haven't played more tougher games than we have.

I'm also betting you haven't had seven one day turn around games either like we have due to moving the BTT up a week.
Allow me to clarify, I'm not a Vandy fan. IU all day and every day for me. Butler as a backup plan for basketball when necessary.

You seemed to have changed your original statement of rankings from when games were played, to what they currently are today. Ok, that's fine I guess, but Vandy has played Tennessee and Kentucky twice, so essentially they've played against 6 ranked opponents just like IU has. The average of each ranked team makes no difference so no point in trying to settle it there.

Now let's put each team's opponents that has a decent shot to make the dance that isn't ranked:

Vandy's opponents:

Seton Hall
Arizona State
TCU
Kansas State
USC
Florida
Alabama
Mississippi State
Belmont - in 1st place
Mid Tenn State - in 1st place
NC Asheville - in 1st place

IU's opponents:

Seton Hall
Louisville (maybe)
Notre Dame (doubtful)

As you can see Vandy has played several more quality opponents than IU. The more quality opponents the tougher the schedule is no matter how you slice it. Of Vandy's 15 losses only one was to a team with no real chance to make the dance barring a conference tourney championship. And that was to South Carolina who happened to be a final 4 team last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyCracker
He certainly could be .. I think it all revolves on what he does in furtherance of a program. He's not a booster solely as a result of being a parent but something seemingly innocuous as being a season ticket holder makes one a booster. If one is given season tickets by the coach, I don't know if that makes one a season ticket holder. I think that the operative term is whether one "promotes" the program ... and sitting in Archie's basement with Daddy Garland selling the program is clearly promoting the program.

There are many smart posters here. Does anyone think that Archie's dad potentially qualifies as an IU booster such that his legal involvement with recruits is curtailed?
This guy is approaching Abuggaby territory.

He took over a team that went to the NCAA the previous year and lost no one.

He kept his 3 best players from last year and has 7 wins. IU will have more B10 wins than Vandy will have total wins.

Drew can be successful, and he might pull off a 20 win season next year, but he is out the door to somewhere else once he gets any success at Vandy. Drew is at Vandy for a reason

Keep slowly backing up......
I was going to stay out of this but you forced my hand.

Drew did not take over a team that “ went to the NCAA and lost no one”. He lost 2 players that were drafted by the NBA and it was a team that got smoked in the first 4 “play in”game with stallings. He took that team (minus 2 NBA players) to a higher seed and within a last second shot from the round of 32. This year, he lost another guy who is now playing in the NBA and he is putting his system in place. If any of you actually watched Vandy, you would know it is improving without any playmakers. You keep believing they will be worse next year because Vandy will lose it’s 3 best players but they were all 3 star guys. Limited. I appreciate them but they are replaceable. Plus our freshman point guard is playing as well as anyone on the team right now. Add in the Notre Dame transfer and another transfer and we will be fine next year. Better with Romeo, like you, but fine without. Drew will absolutely not have a losing record next year.

Anyway keep those red sunglasses tight.

Last edited:
Reactions: fpeaugh and KyDore
In his short career at Vandy, Drew is starting to look fairly similar to his brother. An astounding ability to do less with more. All he's missing is a stupid junk zone defense.

He still has time....

Reactions: IUgradman
In his short career at Vandy, Drew is starting to look fairly similar to his brother. An astounding ability to do less with more. All he's missing is a stupid junk zone defense.

He still has time....
Yes, exactly. Recruit rankings

2014: IU 21, Vandy 27
2015: IU 32, Vandy 39
2016: IU 23, Vandy 70
2017: IU 31, Vandy 51

2018 kenpom rankings:

IU 81, Vandy 85.

Strength of schedule

IU 123, Vandy 16.

Your definition of doing less with more is way off

Last edited:
Allow me to clarify, I'm not a Vandy fan. IU all day and every day for me. Butler as a backup plan for basketball when necessary.

You seemed to have changed your original statement of rankings from when games were played, to what they currently are today. Ok, that's fine I guess, but Vandy has played Tennessee and Kentucky twice, so essentially they've played against 6 ranked opponents just like IU has. The average of each ranked team makes no difference so no point in trying to settle it there.

Now let's put each team's opponents that has a decent shot to make the dance that isn't ranked:

Vandy's opponents:

Seton Hall
Arizona State
TCU
Kansas State
USC
Florida
Alabama
Mississippi State
Belmont - in 1st place

IU's opponents:

Seton Hall
Louisville (maybe)
Notre Dame (doubtful)

As you can see Vandy has played several more quality opponents than IU. The more quality opponents the tougher the schedule is no matter how you slice it. Of Vandy's 15 losses only one was to a team with no real chance to make the dance barring a conference tourney championship. And that was to South Carolina who happened to be a final 4 team last year.

Really good post, thanks for putting it together.

I missed they played UK and Tenn twice.

My excuse is I don't care or follow in the least Vanderbilt any more than I know about Washington State.

Anyway thanks for this post, even though we've played more top teams they've had a much stronger overall diet of teams.

Reactions: Upset Alert
What is patently clear is IU is improving markedly under Archie. We have a real chance to do some damage down the stretch and finish with a winning conference record. If Romeo is paying attention he will see the growth that has occurred.

I don’t know. Two five stars signed and expect Romeo and possibly E J. I wouldn’t say that is really bottom-barrel expectations. The real question is whether Archie will ever land a 5* if he fumbles Romeo away?
You know, I was going to respond to this, but then I saw who wrote it. Troll

I don’t know. Two five stars signed and expect Romeo and possibly E J. I wouldn’t say that is really bottom-barrel expectations. The real question is whether Archie will ever land a 5* if he fumbles Romeo away?
lol .....

You just outed yourself as a complete moron.

If you enjoy being called an idiot, keep posting.

Reactions: mike41703
How's Shittu's knee doing?

Fine. Simi will be 100% by time practice starts. EJ Montgomery knows this. He has recently stated why he likes Vandy and his recruitment is going well. If VU makes his next cut of teams, EJM might end up at VU.

One insider (not a BB recruiting analyst) says signing EJM = signing RL and vice versa.

In addition, why hasn't RL committed to IU already? He'd get all the love in the state of Indiana. Probably nothing to it, but it does make make me wonder.

I'm not on here to be a pure troll. I'm posting here because VU and IU both have common interest in a recruit.

And last, RL might go to VU

And those same services has IU class top 20 without Romeo. You know, the same class you keep pissing on.

Brad seems to be doing ok in the NBA, right?
I’m not pissing on our class at all. But Vandy has a top 5 class. I’m sure you also think we have a better class than Duke. If you don’t you’re not a true fan and you’re “pissing” on our entire class. Not absurd at all.

Reactions: ytzid
What is patently clear is IU is improving markedly under Archie. We have a real chance to do some damage down the stretch and finish with a winning conference record. If Romeo is paying attention he will see the growth that has occurred.

The only thing RL wants is a staff that can best prepare him for the NBA. Then he's one and done.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Drew did not take over a team that “ went to the NCAA and lost no one”. He lost 2 players that were drafted by the NBA and it was a team that got smoked in the first 4 “play in”game with stallings. He took that team (minus 2 NBA players) to a higher seed and within a last second shot from the round of 32. This year, he lost another guy who is now playing in the NBA and he is putting his system in place.

Putting his system in place? In year TWO? That must be one helluva system . . . :rolleyes:

For SnG’s: IU lost 3 guys to the pros, 2 of which are playing in the NBA.

Fine. Simi will be 100% by time practice starts. EJ Montgomery knows this. He has recently stated why he likes Vandy and his recruitment is going well. If VU makes his next cut of teams, EJM might end up at VU.

One insider (not a BB recruiting analyst) says signing EJM = signing RL and vice versa.

In addition, why hasn't RL committed to IU already? He'd get all the love in the state of Indiana. Probably nothing to it, but it does make make me wonder.

I'm not on here to be a pure troll. I'm posting here because VU and IU both have common interest in a recruit.

That means you are a troll. You are not here looking, you are here blathering on.

Vandy's opponents:

Seton Hall
Arizona State
TCU
Kansas State
USC
Florida
Alabama
Mississippi State
Belmont - in 1st place

IU's opponents:

Seton Hall
Louisville (maybe)
Notre Dame (doubtful)

You also forgot

Duke
Michigan
Purdue
MSU (twice)
OSU

Vanderbilt also has a grand total of TWO one/no day turnarounds. IU has 7

Okay bye Vandy troll.

Troll.

Putting his system in place? In year TWO? That must be one helluva system . . . :rolleyes:

For SnG’s: IU lost 3 guys to the pros, 2 of which are playing in the NBA.

Last year he went back to stalling’s offense because that is who he had. This year he’s pushing his offense more since he has to get this team ready for his recruits.

I’m not arguing who lost more talent, I was responding to the thought that Drew hasn’t lost any players in the last 2 years. He lost the only high level recruits Stallings kept in his last years.

Good luck the rest of the season.

Last year he went back to stalling’s offense because that is who he had. This year he’s pushing his offense more since he has to get this team ready for his recruits.

I’m not arguing who lost more talent, I was responding to the thought that Drew hasn’t lost any players in the last 2 years. He lost the only high level recruits Stallings kept in his last years.

Sounds like a shitty coach then. First year coach uses the year to put in his system. You can see it with Archie. Plenty of bumps in the road but you force your new team to adjust.

Look at IU now from 200s in Adjust D to 55 in two months. That is how you build sustained success for the future.

So your mercenaries are not only, I predict, going to leave you with a grand canyon crater to fill the year after they put their time in...they are also killing your current year even before they get there.

Lol hope you get your money's worth.

If I remember correctly, Abuggaby tried to disparage the fact IU landed Eric Gordon and proceeded to post pictures of his life (including crappy furniture), lol.

Abu was cannonized on GBI by BbG, tony79, Twin degrees, Heller, arcb, roundfootball and others after Hep died when he mocked Hep and wished "ass cancer" on the rest of his staff. Class acts over there.

So your mercenaries are not only, I predict, going to leave you with a grand canyon crater to fill the year after they put their time in...they are also killing your current year even before they get there.

Lol hope you get your money's worth.
Will you say the same thing about Romeo if he comes to IU? Call him a mercenary?

I suspect not. And you can’t see around the crimson glasses enough to see your double standard.

Will you say the same thing about Romeo if he comes to IU? Call him a mercenary?

I suspect not. And you can’t see around the crimson glasses enough to see your double standard.

If we were bringing in four from all over the country with no connection to the narratives of the program then yeah, I would.

Like I did when out of nowhere Crean starting getting east coast players to commit like Vonleh, Troy, Rob, Stan and Bryant...who I called Thoma$.

I don't give Vandy any grief for Garland. He's a hometown kid who has a connection through his mom.

Shittu who has red flag rumors before he signed and now Henderson who's in the middle of the FBI investigation of Auburn...yeah that raises my eyebrow, especially at a program with no history to speak of with a coach with no history (like Pearl at Auburn. Auburn hasn't been relevant for thirty years but Pearl has. So when he's bringing in five stars he has a history...and it looks like he probably is paying them now with that, you know, FBI investigation).

Maybe the water is special in Nashville.

Oh and if Romeo, like Shittu has, openly talks about his draft stock and being a one and done to where that's his focus (spare me the it is everyones focus, I understand that) and becomes a bad teammate then yeah...Romeo is just a mercenary. Like Vonleh.

If we were bringing in four from all over the country with no connection to the narratives of the program then yeah, I would.

Like I did when out of nowhere Crean starting getting east coast players to commit like Vonleh, Troy, Rob, Stan and Bryant...who I called Thoma$.

I don't give Vandy any grief for Garland. He's a hometown kid who has a connection through his mom.

Shittu who has red flag rumors before he signed and now Henderson who's in the middle of the FBI investigation of Auburn...yeah that raises my eyebrow, especially at a program with no history to speak of with a coach with no history (like Pearl at Auburn. Auburn hasn't been relevant for thirty years but Pearl has. So when he's bringing in five stars he has a history...and it looks like he probably is paying them now with that, you know, FBI investigation).

Maybe the water is special in Nashville.
I get what you’re saying. Everyone always thinks the other team is cheating and they’re not. Every fanbase thinks this. It’s like believing in the boogeyman. We’re the good guys and everyone else is evil. The problem is it’s not based in any reality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT