ADVERTISEMENT

It's getting worse and worse.

DrHoops

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2001
Anyone who thinks this is something DJT had no control of, just look at the rest of the world. It just keeps going higher.

EbxjDG-WsAI1GBo

As horribly as Trump has handled this, never underestimate the sheer destructive power of garden-variety right-wing stupidity.

My wife saw a guy in Meijer a couple days ago: Late 60s, pistol strapped to his leg, and no mask. Armed for imaginary danger but oblivious to the real threat.

I totally agree with you, but at the same time, that guy in Meijer would probably believe something if Trump set the example. I agree with you that many right-wingers are aggressively stupid.

As horribly as Trump has handled this, never underestimate the sheer destructive power of garden-variety right-wing stupidity.

My wife saw a guy in Meijer a couple days ago: Late 60s, pistol strapped to his leg, and no mask. Armed for imaginary danger but oblivious to the real threat.

Sad. What a deluded life he must lead.

Was that in Andersen?

This is so poetic and it's a point I've tried to make with my gun loving, right wing friends.

They keep telling me to get some guns because our society is turning into a Mad Max dystopia for the most part.

In their view, I'm a middle aged white dude who lives in the suburbs and black people are coming for me.

I laugh and tell them I'm more afraid of piss panted, anxious, paranoid and scared middle aged white dudes with loaded weapons than I am of a 95% peaceful protest that has basically subdued in Minneapolis and only really impacted around six to ten linear city blocks at a guess.

That being said there is an active virus that is f#$king people up all over the world that could have its odds greatly reduced and allow for us to get back to some kind of normalcy if we just wear a goddamn mask.

But no, that is a violation of their freedom.

It's completely backwards from my perspective.

This is so poetic and it's a point I've tried to make with my gun loving, right wing friends.

They keep telling me to get some guns because our society is turning into a Mad Max dystopia for the most part.

In their view, I'm a middle aged white dude who lives in the suburbs and black people are coming for me.

I laugh and tell them I'm more afraid of piss panted, anxious, paranoid and scared middle aged white dudes with loaded weapons than I am of a 95% peaceful protest that has basically subdued in Minneapolis and only really impacted around six to ten linear city blocks at a guess.

That being said there is an active virus that is f#$king people up all over the world that could have its odds greatly reduced and allow for us to get back to some kind of normalcy if we just wear a goddamn mask.

I was worried that main ways wife had seen me !

There is something warped going on in the States. Its not a common thought process elsewhere other than the very fringe elements of society. Infantile behaviour yes, there are plenty of that even here in S'pore. But this rationalisation is uniquely American.

I agree. I've traveled to more than 70 countries in my life. I have never seen the kind or idiocy as here. Most countries' citizens care for the common good, both in their own country and globally. The US right wing is the only group that I've ever known whose goal is constantly to thumb their noses at everyone who is not like them. This is why every normal country in the world has gotten Covid-19 under control, and the right wing is treating it exactly like their denial of man made climate change.

To these aggressively ignorant people, neither are happening. Unfortunately, with Covid-19, they are finding out real time how stupid they are,. As usual the worst of the worst is happening south of the Mason-Dixon line...just like every other issue they wrongly argue.

There is something warped going on in the States. Its not a common thought process elsewhere other than the very fringe elements of society. Infantile behaviour yes, there are plenty of that even here in S'pore. But this rationalisation is uniquely American.

Last edited:
I agree. I've traveled to more than 70 countries in my life. I have never seen the kind or idiocy as here. Most countries' citizens care for the common good, both in their own country and globally. The US right wing is the only group that I've ever known whose goal is constantly to thumb their noses at everyone who is not like them. This is why every normal country in the world has gotten Covid-19 under control, and the right wing is treating it exactly like man made climate change.

To these aggressively ignorant people, neither are happening. Unfortunately, with Covid-19, they are finding out real time how stupid they are,. As usual the worst of the worst is happening south of the Mason-Dixon line...just like every other issue they wrongly argue.

The sad thing is that they don't understand that they are being manipulated for various objectives for their powers to be.

I disagree with the idea that Democrats see this as a political issue. Believe me, I don’t want to wear a f@cking surgical mask around all the time, and the fact that I have to hasn’t anything to do with “owning the cons”. I wear it because that’s what the science says to do. It’s the right thing to do. And it’s the fastest route back to normalcy.

These idiots who won’t wear masks are just pushing the time where we hopefully won’t need masks further down the road.

So dumb.

Trump wanting to fill the churches on Easter Sunday and Pence said this was going to be largely behind us by Memorial Day. Both of these idiots are responsible for thousands and thousands of deaths. Here in Florida DeSantis is only beginning to understand how f***** Northern Florida is after opening the bars way too early and now he's going to be in a position where he's going to have to tell Trump to forget about having an unmasked GOP convention in Jacksonville.
I'm not worried anymore about a Trump second term but am worried about how much worse this will get by November.
His two buddies in Russia and North Korea must be loving this.

Trump wanting to fill the churches on Easter Sunday and Pence said this was going to be largely behind us by Memorial Day. Both of these idiots are responsible for thousands and thousands of deaths. Here in Florida DeSantis is only beginning to understand how f***** Northern Florida is after opening the bars way too early and now he's going to be in a position where he's going to have to tell Trump to forget about having an unmasked GOP convention in Jacksonville.
I'm not worried anymore about a Trump second term but am worried about how much worse this will get by November.

I really don't know how you get out of it without some more major fatalities. Maybe when it hits a million then people will start to listen though I am sure you will still get the 'seasonal flu' idiots. The only way for it to way is if everyone works in sync to choke out the 'oxygen' available for the virus.

Social distance, mask -- then test, trace, isolate and ensure that the healthcare infra isn't overwhelmed. Its not like there aren't any successful examples out there.

This is nothing but anti Trump propaganda! If you know so much, why don’t you step up and save the Country. Hell we have had 2 million that has had the virus and survived with no problems.

Last edited:

But part of that is due to Trump. All he has to do is encourage people to wear their mask instead of discoursing it. I had a discussion with McMurtry a couple weeks ago about how I though masks were being politicized. He disagreed. Wonder if that’s still the case.

But part of that is due to Trump. All he has to do is encourage people to wear their mask instead of discoursing it. I had a discussion with McMurtry a couple weeks ago about how I though masks were being politicized. He disagreed. Wonder if that’s still the case.
Yeah I still feel the same way. I wish trump would say wear masks and wear a mask himself but i don't believe the politics of masks means much. i think it's more just selfishness and american nature. people want to protest and ignore social distancing as we've seen they're going to protest and ignore social distancing. fauci has made it clear social distancing matters whether you are inside or outside. the protesters don't care. but i think they too are akin to about the size of the people not wearing masks for "political reasons," - very small.

it appears the real problem is young(er) people who simply don't care. they want to party. they want to go to bars. they want to go to the beach. they don't care about masks and trump and social distancing. they care about getting their summer cookin. living their selfish, invincible lives.

if we want to get this under control for july and august close the bars, beaches, protests, concerts, and rallies under the name of public safety. compensate those businesses closed through grants, not loans.

trump's position on masks is a factor, but no more than the endless protests across the country, and not a very impt factor imo. millenials are the biggest problem.

Last edited:
Trump wanting to fill the churches on Easter Sunday and Pence said this was going to be largely behind us by Memorial Day. Both of these idiots are responsible for thousands and thousands of deaths
Nothing but happy talk from Trump for weeks back in February and early March, leading to lost time with testing, the "Dem Hoax" nonsense at Fox News and elsewhere, and a population that often failed to adhere to social distancing guidelines because they didn't take the virus seriously.

Later, White House guidelines for re-opening were ignored not only by a number of states but by Trump himself when he tweeted about the need to "liberate [states]!!" to his Twitter followers despite the fact that the White House criteria for re-opening hadn't been met.

Next, Trump turned the public health issue of mask-wearing into a political issue and a culture war by mocking people who wore masks and by arguing that people who wear masks are making a statement that they oppose him. He continues to set a terrible example for the country by refusing to a mask himself.

Then he became the first person to hold a mass gathering in an indoor arena during the pandemic when he proceeded with a MAGA rally in Tulsa despite the danger that it posed and despite the fact that Tulsa was a Covid hotspot. To add insult to injury, just prior to the rally, Trump campaign workers removed social distancing stickers that had been placed by BOK Center personnel.

Now, he seldom talks about the pandemic while it continues to spread exponentially in many states. Instead, he's dispatched his lapdog, Pence, to deliver laughable speeches about what a great job Trump has done with Covid and how everything is under control. Meanwhile, while Europe is actually bringing things under control, the U.S. remains the Covid capital of the world and the EU has imposed a travel ban on Americans. What a complete shitshow.

Last edited:
Yeah I still feel the same way. I wish trump would say wear masks and wear a mask but i don't believe the politics of masks means much. i think it's more just selfishness and american nature. people want to protest and ignore social distancing as we've seen they're going to protest and ignore social distancing. fauci has made it clear social distancing matters whether you are inside or outside. the protesters don't care. but i think they too are akin to about the size of the people not wearing masks for "political reasons," - very small.

it appears the problem is young(er) people who simply don't care. they want to party. they want to go to bars. they want to go to the beach. they don't care about masks and trump and social distancing. they care about getting their summer cookin. living their selfish, invincible lives.

if we want to get this under control for july and august close the bars, beaches, protests, concerts, and rallies under the name of public. compensate those businesses closed through grants, not loans.

trump's position on masks is a factor, but no more than the endless protests across the country, and not a very impt factor imo. millenials are the biggest problem.

I am amazed people seem so hesitant to accept the premise that if they want places open, they need to distance and wear masks. I somewhat get it for 18-22 or so, but people over 25 should be mature enough to get it.

Which is a large part of this "you can't tell me what to do" movement, lack of maturity.

Goldman Sachs predicts that wearing masks would have a 5% positive impact on GDP. That is huge.

I am still encouraged to work from home as much as possible, but I have been going in more frequently. It sucks to climb three flights in a mask. But simply put, That is small potatoes to what we have asked others to do. Wearing a mask does not compare to jumping off a landing craft at Omaha Beach or hunkering down in Khe Sanh. Those are the people most at risk, we honestly will not wear a mask for them.

And yes, that is awful close to the Lincoln Project video suggesting it is just wrong to tell the Greatest Generation to voluntarily sacrifice themselves now.

I am amazed people seem so hesitant to accept the premise that if they want places open, they need to distance and wear masks. I somewhat get it for 18-22 or so, but people over 25 should be mature enough to get it.

Which is a large part of this "you can't tell me what to do" movement, lack of maturity.

Goldman Sachs predicts that wearing masks would have a 5% positive impact on GDP. That is huge.

I am still encouraged to work from home as much as possible, but I have been going in more frequently. It sucks to climb three flights in a mask. But simply put, That is small potatoes to what we have asked others to do. Wearing a mask does not compare to jumping off a landing craft at Omaha Beach or hunkering down in Khe Sanh. Those are the people most at risk, we honestly will not wear a mask for them.

And yes, that is awful close to the Lincoln Project video suggesting it is just wrong to tell the Greatest Generation to voluntarily sacrifice themselves now.

It's at once infuriating and heartbreaking.

Yeah I still feel the same way. I wish trump would say wear masks and wear a mask himself but i don't believe the politics of masks means much. i think it's more just selfishness and american nature.
It selfishness and not giving a shit about others, but they use politics to justify it.

It selfishness and not giving a shit about others, but they use politics to justify it.
i don't think the vast majority of these kids are paying one iota of attention to trump or trying to justify their actions through politics. i think it's summer and they're ignorant, selfish, and invincible; i.e. young. Look at the pics from bars and parties. it's not just masks - they aren't social distancing either. they don't care.

i don't think the vast majority of these kids are paying one iota of attention to trump or trying to justify their actions through politics. i think it's summer and they're ignorant, selfish, and invincible; i.e. young.
All the things I wish I was:(

Proving Isaac Asimov correct:

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

i don't think the vast majority of these kids are paying one iota of attention to trump or trying to justify their actions through politics. i think it's summer and they're ignorant, selfish, and invincible; i.e. young. Look at the pics from bars and parties. it's not just masks - they aren't social distancing either. they don't care.
Maybe not the kids, but I think it's true for the older types you see at Walmart and at MAGA rallies.

Proving Isaac Asimov correct:

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Yeah, but that's just one guy's theory.

Speaking of stupidity... QAnon supporter and restaurant owner who defied orders to close in response to COVID wins primary in Colorado's 3rd Congressional District.

"...another aspect of her views has attracted national attention: her openness to the QAnon conspiracy theory, which claims President Trump is waging a secret campaign against an international child-trafficking ring run by leading Democrats and movie stars. On a Q-friendly web show, Boebert, based on what she heard about Q, said: “I hope that this is real.”

“It only means America is getting stronger and better, and people are returning to conservative values and that’s what I am for,” she went on to say.

---
"Boebert also made headlines around the state when, in May, she defied Garfield County health orders by offering sit-down service in her restaurant as COVID-19 kept businesses shuttered."
---
"Should she win in November, Boebert has said she will align herself with the Freedom Caucus, made up of conservative and Libertarian politicians in the House."

https://www.cpr.org/2020/07/01/who-is-lauren-boebert/

Yeah I still feel the same way. I wish trump would say wear masks and wear a mask himself but i don't believe the politics of masks means much. i think it's more just selfishness and american nature. people want to protest and ignore social distancing as we've seen they're going to protest and ignore social distancing. fauci has made it clear social distancing matters whether you are inside or outside. the protesters don't care. but i think they too are akin to about the size of the people not wearing masks for "political reasons," - very small.

it appears the real problem is young(er) people who simply don't care. they want to party. they want to go to bars. they want to go to the beach. they don't care about masks and trump and social distancing. they care about getting their summer cookin. living their selfish, invincible lives.

if we want to get this under control for july and august close the bars, beaches, protests, concerts, and rallies under the name of public safety. compensate those businesses closed through grants, not loans.

Trump is 100% responsible for the disjointed and inconsistent response to this. If he said tomorrow “I was wrong and everyone should be wearing a mask including myself,” all of the red state governors would follow suit almost over night. Just digging the hole deeper with every passing day.

The assertion the protests have anything to do with the increases is silly given most of the biggest protest cities are showing stable or declining coronavirus numbers. Gonna have to let that one go eventually.

The non believers will need this to hit a family member etc which it eventually will at this rate, then hopefully they will come around. You would think the prospect of no NFL, WWE, etc would speed this up.

Last edited:
Speaking of stupidity... QAnon supporter and restaurant owner who defied orders to close in response to COVID wins primary in Colorado's 3rd Congressional District.
I know nothing about the district so this may be a pipe dream, but that may end up being another flipped seat in the house.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT