ADVERTISEMENT

It's getting worse and worse.

The CDC does not explain why the change. The easy answer is political pressure to reduce numbers. But can anyone come up with some other explanation as to why we do not want people who have had contact to be tested?
Someone is saying it was political pressure from the top:

CDC was pressured 'from the top down' to change coronavirus testing guidance, official says

A sudden change in federal guidelines on coronavirus testing came this week as a result of pressure from the upper ranks of the Trump administration, a federal health official close to the process tells CNN.​
"It's coming from the top down," the official said of the new directive from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.​
The new guidelines raise the bar on who should get tested, advising that some people without symptoms probably don't need it -- even if they've been in close contact with an infected person.​
Previously, the CDC said viral testing was appropriate for people with recent or suspected exposure, even if they were asymptomatic.​
CDC would not comment on questions about its own policy change. A CDC spokesperson referred all questions to the Department of Health and Human Services.​

Someone is saying it was political pressure from the top:

CDC was pressured 'from the top down' to change coronavirus testing guidance, official says

A sudden change in federal guidelines on coronavirus testing came this week as a result of pressure from the upper ranks of the Trump administration, a federal health official close to the process tells CNN.​
"It's coming from the top down," the official said of the new directive from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.​
The new guidelines raise the bar on who should get tested, advising that some people without symptoms probably don't need it -- even if they've been in close contact with an infected person.​
Previously, the CDC said viral testing was appropriate for people with recent or suspected exposure, even if they were asymptomatic.​
CDC would not comment on questions about its own policy change. A CDC spokesperson referred all questions to the Department of Health and Human Services.​

I spent some time trying to come up with any rationale besides "we want fewer positives politically" and i just cannot come up with one. I am sure someone who supports the Trump Administration can point out a public health reason this change was made and I'd love to hear it.

Reactions: UncleMark
I spent some time trying to come up with any rationale besides "we want fewer positives politically" and i just cannot come up with one. I am sure someone who supports the Trump Administration can point out a public health reason this change was made and I'd love to hear it.
I don't have any rationale why this change would be made from a public health perspective, but I don't think it's all that viable as a politically motivated move either . . . it's easy to point out that "we don't know how bad the outbreak is because the Trump administration did away with testing." Either way the Trump campaign is a pooch that gets screwed.

Why would he do that? Other than he believes he can control what people think by controlling the narrative by denying, hiding, lying about and attacking the facts that everyone can see for themselves . . . dws.

Last edited:
I don't have any rationale why this change would be made from a public health perspective, but I don't think it's all that viable as a politically motivated move either . . . it's easy to point out that "we don't know how bad the outbreak is because the Trump administration did away with testing." Either way the Trump campaign is a pooch that gets screwed.

Why would he do that? Other than he believes he can control what people think by controlling the narrative by denying, hiding, lying about and attacking the facts that everyone can see for themselves . . . .

You are talking about a man who took a sharpie to a hurricane map and went on national tv. I think he knows people will accept both the "big lie" and the "many lies".

Reactions: glmiu11
I agree. On top of that, despite what Fox and IGW keep screaming, even getting the virus and fighting it off without immediate acute symptoms is dangerous. See https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2768916 for instance, even controlling for severity, the majority of survivors are showing heart damage. That can last the rest of your life.
It is also expensive. A couple doctor visits or teleconferences, with a lab test and possible prescription, might cost $300-500. Many don't have insurance.

Now, if you need hospitalization, Remdesivir, ventilator, the costs go sky high to well into five figures.

Why would he do that? Other than he believes he can control what people think by controlling the narrative by denying, hiding, lying about and attacking the facts that everyone can see for themselves . . . dws.
They already have made people doubt the efficacy of masking by pointing out the CDC's change in position since the virus first emerged. Now they'll be able to point to this change of position vis a vis testing and claim the testing numbers don't really mean anything and that they're not really all that important.

They already have made people doubt the efficacy of masking by pointing out the CDC's change in position since the virus first emerged. Now they'll be able to point to this change of position vis a vis testing and claim the testing numbers don't really mean anything and that they're not really all that important.

And this just means we will be burdened with outbreaks for longer. It’s just all so stupid.

Ah, in a month or so when the number of cases 'drops' dramatically then we all know the Dear Leader has done a fantastic job.
Plus by then he would have brought to you the Trump Vaccine.

He just gets things done. Don knows. He just does.

And this just means we will be burdened with outbreaks for longer. It’s just all so stupid.

What outbreaks? You don't test you don't know. Besides the actually cases and deaths will be attributed to other factors/causes and coincidentally in certain battleground states.

The sad thing is that going forward will you ever trust the data coming out of such once venerable institutions again?
Everything Trump touches...

He's already queered it for the DoJ, the intelligence services, the FBI, the State Department, and on and on. It's going to take years for the country to recover, if ever.

Both sides will accuse each other of rigging the data in the future. Precedent.

Btw you can add laws to that list too. Clearly the Hatch Act is dead now.

Yeah I still feel the same way. I wish trump would say wear masks and wear a mask himself but i don't believe the politics of masks means much. i think it's more just selfishness and american nature. people want to protest and ignore social distancing as we've seen they're going to protest and ignore social distancing. fauci has made it clear social distancing matters whether you are inside or outside. the protesters don't care. but i think they too are akin to about the size of the people not wearing masks for "political reasons," - very small.

it appears the real problem is young(er) people who simply don't care. they want to party. they want to go to bars. they want to go to the beach. they don't care about masks and trump and social distancing. they care about getting their summer cookin. living their selfish, invincible lives.

if we want to get this under control for july and august close the bars, beaches, protests, concerts, and rallies under the name of public safety. compensate those businesses closed through grants, not loans.

trump's position on masks is a factor, but no more than the endless protests across the country, and not a very impt factor imo. millenials are the biggest problem.

We interact with different groups of people but in my “bubble” it would most certainly have made a difference. If the President had simply said, early on, that we needed to social distance and wear masks in order to protect those around us, thereby protecting the economy it would have made a difference.

You’ve pointed out the technique of Trump, Fox News and the republican party in general. When you don’t have facts or science on your side and can’t outright disprove either, cause people to doubt facts and science.

Reactions: UncleMark
More figures to argue over.

New cases are up by at least 5%, based on a seven-day average, in 26 states as of Sunday, compared with just 12 states a week ago, according to a CNBC analysis of data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. In Arizona, Florida, California and Texas, new cases are declining by at least as much, though those states still accounted for nearly 10,000 new cases combined on Sunday — or about a fourth of all new U.S. cases.​
Across the nation, average new cases have climbed three of the last five days.​
Many of the recently growing outbreaks across the country are occurring in the Midwest, including Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio and the Dakotas. Those states collectively reported more than 7,400 new cases Sunday, according to data collected by Hopkins.​

People justify whatever they need to believe. We see it here and on conservative sites.

Human nature.

New cases are up by at least 5%, based on a seven-day average, in 26 states as of Sunday, compared with just 12 states a week ago, according to a CNBC analysis of data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. In Arizona, Florida, California and Texas, new cases are declining by at least as much, though those states still accounted for nearly 10,000 new cases combined on Sunday — or about a fourth of all new U.S. cases.​
Many of the recently growing outbreaks across the country are occurring in the Midwest, including Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio and the Dakotas. Those states collectively reported more than 7,400 new cases Sunday, according to data collected by Hopkins.​
It’s moving like a forest fire - burning it self out in former hotspots. Schools acct for a spike. Labor Day weekend will as well. Thereafter hopefully we see a sustained decline

It’s moving like a forest fire - burning it self out in former hotspots. Schools acct for a spike. Labor Day weekend will as well. Thereafter hopefully we see a sustained decline

Yes, except in this forest fire...trees and homes can burn down twice....maybe three times.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

No...you nailed it.

Hopefully Trump doesn't find out who are compiling those numbers or else....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT