ADVERTISEMENT

It's getting worse and worse.

I agree. On top of that, despite what Fox and IGW keep screaming, even getting the virus and fighting it off without immediate acute symptoms is dangerous. See https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2768916 for instance, even controlling for severity, the majority of survivors are showing heart damage. That can last the rest of your life.
The part I don’t understand is that people are acting like they’re just now coming to this conclusion. This has been more than obvious. Over 170,000, probably much more, are dead.

The part I don’t understand is that people are acting like they’re just now coming to this conclusion. This has been more than obvious. Over 170,000, probably much more, are dead.

You’d have to believe that if we had 2 to 3 747s crashing everyday for five months straight people would think there was some danger with air travel. Normalizing over 1,000 dead a day is pretty extraordinary.

Singapore scientists find coronavirus variant with milder infections

SINGAPORE, Aug 21 (Reuters) - Researchers in Singapore have discovered a new variant of the COVID-19 coronavirus that causes milder infections, according to a study published in The Lancet medical journal this week.

The study showed that COVID-19 patients infected with a new variant of SARS-CoV-2 had better clinical outcomes, including a lower proportion developing low blood oxygen or requiring intensive care.
The study also showed the variant, which has a large deletion in a part of its genome, elicited a more robust immune response.

The study involved researchers from various Singapore institutions, including the National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID), the Duke-NUS Medical School and the Agency for Science, Technology and Research.

"These studies provide the first convincing data showing that an observed genetic change (mutation) in SARS-CoV-2 has affected the severity of disease in patients," said Gavin Smith at Duke-NUS.
The scientists said the findings had implications for vaccine development and treatments for COVID-19.
The variant, which likely came from Wuhan, China, was detected in a cluster of infections that occurred from January to March 2020. In Singapore, the virus was transmitted from person-to-person across several clusters before being contained.

An expert told Reuters this week that mutations in viruses may be "a good thing". Viruses tend to become less virulent as they mutate so as to infect more people but not to kill them as they depend on the host for food and shelter, according to Paul Tambyah at Singapore's National University Hospital.

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB18dFsV?m=en-sg&referrerID=InAppShare
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Maybe a good sign. We have had it longer than Europe or the Americas.

Reactions: UncleMark
This is why we can’t contain this thing. We are a nation of selfish pricks that does whatever we damn well please.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
This is why we can’t contain this thing. We are a nation of selfish pricks that does whatever we damn well please.

100% it's actually not complex to manage it. It's the character of the society that seems to hinder any progress.
Suffer for a while but do it correctly and there will be progress. Been the case everywhere else.
After breaking the back of the 1st wave it's basically whack a mole scenarios after.

100% it's actually not complex to manage it. It's the character of the society that seems to hinder any progress.
Suffer for a while but do it correctly and there will be progress. Been the case everywhere else.
After breaking the back of the 1st wave it's basically whack a mole scenarios after.
Yup. We just won’t do it.

Yup. We just won’t do it.

Do they have that teenager invincibility mentality? Or the 'you're not the boss of me' attitude which is equally infantile and deeply insecure.

Then maybe there are people who cant conceptualise or theorise about things they cant see. Slow learners. Then when it happens to someone they know, then they are both feet into the deep end.

Its coming to nearly the end of August -- six months after the first cases started hitting Cali and NYC.

Even if Biden does a mandatory mask-wearing nationally, I bet there will be idiots who 12 months after the first deaths, will still deny the science/value behind mask-wearing and take the Biden WH to court. Here is when I blame Trump who poisoned the well early on due to his ignorance or self-serving purposes. I doubt if you can do-over again 12 months later if Biden tries.
Then the vaccine comes online next year -- then the will be the question of equal distribution (the uninsured included) and then the anti-vaxes. By then it will be Biden's still-born/failure despite attempting to roll out a national strategy.

And the economy will not be able to fully recover with the lingering subsequences of the Trump Virus. Localised lockdowns, travel restrictions etc.

Do they have that teenager invincibility mentality? Or the 'you're not the boss of me' attitude which is equally infantile and deeply insecure.

Then maybe there are people who cant conceptualise or theorise about things they cant see. Slow learners. Then when it happens to someone they know, then they are both feet into the deep end.

Its coming to nearly the end of August -- six months after the first cases started hitting Cali and NYC.

Even if Biden does a mandatory mask-wearing nationally, I bet there will be idiots who 12 months after the first deaths, will still deny the science/value behind mask-wearing and take the Biden WH to court. Here is when I blame Trump who poisoned the well early on due to his ignorance or self-serving purposes. I doubt if you can do-over again 12 months later if Biden tries.
Then the vaccine comes online next year -- then the will be the question of equal distribution (the uninsured included) and then the anti-vaxes. By then it will be Biden's still-born/failure despite attempting to roll out a national strategy.

And the economy will not be able to fully recover with the lingering subsequences of the Trump Virus. Localised lockdowns, travel restrictions etc.
Just like the IPOTUS gets credit for the Obama economy, he will not be blamed for the T.rump virus.

This message is brought to you by the man who promoted injecting bleach, shoving a UV light up your pooper, using a malaria drug as a panacea, and who put a pillow inventor in charge of finding new cures.

lol.gif
lol.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

It was inevitable. He's going to try and rush through a vaccine. I am really surprised he hasn't even touted the Russian vaccine yet, and asking for a personal commission for bringing it (back) over -- since the Russians hacked in the various pharma's servers. Or Junior can rebrand it and call it the Trump Vaccine.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
This message is brought to you by the man who promoted injecting bleach, shoving a UV light up your pooper, using a malaria drug as a panacea, and who put a pillow inventor in charge of finding new cures.

lol.gif
lol.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

It was inevitable. He's going to try and rush through a vaccine. I am really surprised he hasn't even touted the Russian vaccine yet, and asking for a personal commission for bringing it (back) over -- since the Russians hacked in the various pharma's servers. Or Junior can rebrand it and call it the Trump Vaccine.

Are Trump’s voters so stupid that they are unaware the “deep state” FDA commissioner was picked by Trump? I know Trump’s voters are stupid, but are they that stupid?

It was inevitable. He's going to try and rush through a vaccine.

You're damn right he is. That's what's needed. Think Manhattan Project. We learned a lesson about our bureaucratic screw ups and delays with the CDC and testing. We don't need to make that mistake again with the FDA and vaccine. Red tape doesn't always mean more safety or better results.

You're damn right he is. That's what's needed. Think Manhattan Project. We learned a lesson about our bureaucratic screw ups and delays with the CDC and testing. We don't need to make that mistake again with the FDA and vaccine. Red tape doesn't always mean more safety or better results.
You’re on fire...
Smh

Reactions: sglowrider
Trump wonders why you can't get 6 month safety data in 6 weeks. Does he also use CO. Hoosier's new, new math?

Trump wonders why you can't get 6 month safety data in 6 weeks. Does he also use CO. Hoosier's new, new math?

That’s the question. I think we can agree the need for a vaccine is more than urgent. Should urgency be a factor in setting the length of trials? I understand how efficacy might require a year or more. Could we get reliable safety data in 6 weeks?

Top FDA Official Says He Would Resign If Agency Rubber-Stamps Unproven COVID-19 Vaccine

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fda-...n-covid-19-vaccine_n_5f3fa583c5b697824f97860a

Marks told Reuters he has not faced any political pressure and that the FDA would be guided by science alone. Should that change, “I could not stand by and see something that was unsafe or ineffective that was being put through,” Marks said.

“You have to decide where your red line is, and that’s my red line,” he said. “I would feel obligated (to resign) because in doing so, I would indicate to the American public that there’s something wrong.”

He added that he would equally object if someone sought political gain by holding up approval of a vaccine that was shown to work, and that was safe.​

Then we must balance risks.
6 months already is a balance, down from 1-2 years. You would know enough to maybe give contingency approval, require an additional 6-12 months of detailed monitoring, to be on top of any issues. Adjusting your immune system is not like setting a broken bone.

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
Top FDA Official Says He Would Resign If Agency Rubber-Stamps Unproven COVID-19 Vaccine

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fda-...n-covid-19-vaccine_n_5f3fa583c5b697824f97860a

Marks told Reuters he has not faced any political pressure and that the FDA would be guided by science alone. Should that change, “I could not stand by and see something that was unsafe or ineffective that was being put through,” Marks said.

“You have to decide where your red line is, and that’s my red line,” he said. “I would feel obligated (to resign) because in doing so, I would indicate to the American public that there’s something wrong.”

He added that he would equally object if someone sought political gain by holding up approval of a vaccine that was shown to work, and that was safe.​
You know what’s crazy. I have never heard people talk about their red line more than I have in the last three years.

@outside shooter isn't it your kid going to Syracuse? CNN has a report about a crackdown with suspensions after a big party. Not that they're any different from any place else. You can find a similar story about most any school.

@outside shooter isn't it your kid going to Syracuse? CNN has a report about a crackdown with suspensions after a big party. Not that they're any different from any place else. You can find a similar story about most any school.
He is in a 14 day quarantine at a hotel in Syracuse, but he is a senior at Cornell, which is about 45 minutes away, Ithaca. He checks in a week from today with a covid test

The CDC has changed its recommendations and no longer recommends people who have had contact with someone with COVID be tested.

WHAT?

How can the CDC not want people who have had contact to be tested? How else do we catch asymptomatic spread?

The CDC does not explain why the change. The easy answer is political pressure to reduce numbers. But can anyone come up with some other explanation as to why we do not want people who have had contact to be tested?

The CDC has changed its recommendations and no longer recommends people who have had contact with someone with COVID be tested.

WHAT?

How can the CDC not want people who have had contact to be tested? How else do we catch asymptomatic spread?

The CDC does not explain why the change. The easy answer is political pressure to reduce numbers. But can anyone come up with some other explanation as to why we do not want people who have had contact to be tested?
Normalization

WHAT?

This is nuts. What sort of logic is that? Did you misread the report?
If so, the world's premier public health organisation is now just another politicalised organisation.

The numbers is bound to blow up soon logically. If doesn't then you know the numbers are being repressed.

This is nuts. What sort of logic is that? Did you misread the report?
If so, the world's premier public health organisation is now just another politicalised organisation.

The numbers is bound to blow up soon logically. If doesn't then you know the numbers are being repressed.

Here is the new guideline:

If you have been in close contact (within 6 feet) of a person with a COVID-19 infection for at least 15 minutes but do not have symptoms:
  • You do not necessarily need a test unless you are a vulnerable individual or your health care provider or State or local public health officials recommend you take one.
    • A negative test does not mean you will not develop an infection from the close contact or contract an infection at a later time.
    • You should monitor yourself for symptoms. If you develop symptoms, you should evaluate yourself under the considerations set forth above.
    • You should strictly adhere to CDC mitigation protocols, especially if you are interacting with a vulnerable individual. You should adhere to CDC guidelines to protect vulnerable individuals with whom you live.
It is reported the wording was this until Tuesday. I do not have a capture of it to verify:

Testing is recommended for all close contacts of persons with SARS-CoV-2 infection. Because of the potential for asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic transmission, it is important that contacts of individuals with SARS-CoV-2 infection be quickly identified and tested.

Here is the new guideline:

If you have been in close contact (within 6 feet) of a person with a COVID-19 infection for at least 15 minutes but do not have symptoms:
  • You do not necessarily need a test unless you are a vulnerable individual or your health care provider or State or local public health officials recommend you take one.
    • A negative test does not mean you will not develop an infection from the close contact or contract an infection at a later time.
    • You should monitor yourself for symptoms. If you develop symptoms, you should evaluate yourself under the considerations set forth above.
    • You should strictly adhere to CDC mitigation protocols, especially if you are interacting with a vulnerable individual. You should adhere to CDC guidelines to protect vulnerable individuals with whom you live.
It is reported the wording was this until Tuesday. I do not have a capture of it to verify:

Testing is recommended for all close contacts of persons with SARS-CoV-2 infection. Because of the potential for asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic transmission, it is important that contacts of individuals with SARS-CoV-2 infection be quickly identified and tested.

Well, its only relevant for 50% of the positive cases only. They forgotten about them?
I guess its the old you test more you have more cases in play.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT