ADVERTISEMENT

It's getting worse and worse.

Can someone show me a simple graph showing hospitalizations and deaths, either per day or maybe even a rolling 5 or 7 day graph? For the life of me I can’t seem to find it. I find individual states, and even in the states with spiking cases, death are going down. We all know cases are spiking, and there are a number of reasons for that. Seems like a simple graph showing deaths/day would pop right up.
Check the CDC website.

Can someone show me a simple graph showing hospitalizations and deaths, either per day or maybe even a rolling 5 or 7 day graph? For the life of me I can’t seem to find it. I find individual states, and even in the states with spiking cases, death are going down. We all know cases are spiking, and there are a number of reasons for that. Seems like a simple graph showing deaths/day would pop right up.
Deaths are just a small fraction of the problem. The real concerns are about those who come down with severe symptoms or severe complications.

Example: a 42 year old neighbor was infected, spent 5 days in the hospital, went home, got sicker, went back for 4 more. He was laid off, uninsured and the bill was 1.7 million. Of course he won't have to pay it. He's probably lucky he was uninsured, average copay for insured is, 40-70K +/-? then consider if you get it, every person in your house will, so most will have chance to double the fun.

Better yet, it's been over two months and he still can't breathe, doesn't sleep well, lost 40 lbs and generally feels like crap and may have blood clots forming in his lungs. Death is the fear mechanism that everyone pays attention to but this virus has other effects even in the asymptomatic or those with very little symptoms that makes it very dangerous..

Deaths are just a small fraction of the problem. The real concerns are about those who come down with severe symptoms or severe complications.

Example: a 42 year old neighbor was infected, spent 5 days in the hospital, went home, got sicker, went back for 4 more. He was laid off, uninsured and the bill was 1.7 million. Of course he won't have to pay it. He's probably lucky he was uninsured, average copay for insured is, 70000+/-? then consider if you get it, every person in your house will, so most will have chance to double the fun.

Better yet, it's been over two months and he still can't breathe, doesn't sleep well, lost 40 lbs and generally feels like crap and may have blood clots forming in his lungs. Death is the fear mechanism that everyone pays attention to but this virus has other effects even in the asymptomatic or those with very little symptoms that make it very dangerous..
Why don’t you post under your real Avatar Rbb89? When you call Trump Orange you are using his color and I find that racist you asshole!

Reactions: ulrey

Example: a 42 year old neighbor was infected, spent 5 days in the hospital, went home, got sicker, went back for 4 more. He was laid off, uninsured and the bill was 1.7 million. Of course he won't have to pay it. He's probably lucky he was uninsured, average copay for insured is, 70000+/-? then consider if you get it, every person in your house will, so most will have chance to double the fun.

Better yet, it's been over two months and he still can't breathe, doesn't sleep well, lost 40 lbs and generally feels like crap and may have blood clots forming in his lungs. Death is the fear mechanism that everyone pays attention to but this virus has other effects even in the asymptomatic or those with very little symptoms that make it very dangerous..
So how often is that happening, and I ask not knowing. For someone who has followed news and events religiously for ever, the last couple of months, I am ignoring it all. I get what I need for work on CNBC, and they obviously need to track the virus to some extent. But I can’t handle much else, and yes, that includes the media from both sides.

Cuomo is enacting proactive measures based on the numbers he is seeing throughout the rest of the country, not NYC. That is why NY, NJ and CT are instituting mandatory 14-day curfews for people travelling from most Southern and Western states entering their states.

Just saw where Holcomb is putting some brakes on the move to phase 5 in Indiana. They are readjusting and renaming it phase 4.5, which I think is going to last till the end of July or so. I think we in Indiana are very fortunate that our GOP Governor is not an abject Trump cultist, and was willing to listen to the science...

I agree with Cuomo.

...and your comment about NY was obviously wrong.

So some think I am an arrogant douche, but for the exact same reasons as the ones that hate my guts.

I can live with that.
:rolleyes:
Nobody hates you. They just think you're kind of an arrogant douche.
I hope that helps (see, we can all play that card). :D

Lucky for you Courtsense you have me. I can give you a quick zoom class on humility/modesty which happens to be one of my best attributes.

I “liked” your post because I like that you’re looking for data, and I sympathize that it isn’t easy. But remember that deaths are the laggiest indicator. If you wait for trends to appear clearly in deaths, you’ve waited too long on a virus that spreads exponentially.

I’m sorry that I didn’t respond more helpfully to your question, but I’m not entirely sure I understand it. There are a number of reliable sources, and I’m pretty sure they show deaths declining (as they are here in Marion County, Indiana), but the same sources show cases soaring (although not here in Marion County, Indiana). People need situational awareness, and that comes from being savvy and tracking local data. Or at least this is what people need to do when their federal government fails them during a pandemic.

Hospitalizations are hard because some states restrict that data. But there are charts at the site below for the US, all the states, and other countries.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Reactions: IUJIM and Rockfish1
For those ammosexual (NTTAWTT), anti-First Amendment folks out there ;):

COVID Outbreaks Are Being Traced Back To Parties — Not Protests

f25d436e2ba1f50c41fea9c8773906d3

Clusters have been linked to several university bars and other large social gatherings
As worldwide coronavirus cases tops ten million and the death toll in the U.S. surpasses 128,000, health officials in states that have reopened are seeing surges traced to public gatherings in bars, restaurants, strip clubs, churches, and beaches but not from the nation-wide protests occurring calling for an end to systemic racism and police brutality.

Coronavirus clusters — defined as multiple people contracting COVID-19 at the same event or location — have been increasing at alarming rates in recent weeks. Many infectious disease experts warned that protests may lead to additional outbreaks, but are now finding that’s not the case.

“We did have a rally in Bellingham, which is our county seat, and there was also a protest, and we have not been able to connect a single case to that rally or to the protest, and what we’re finding is in large part that’s due to the use of masks,” Erika Lautenbach, director of the Whatcom County Health Department in Washington State, told NPR’s All Things Considered. “Almost everyone at the rally was wearing a mask, and it’s really a testament to how effective masks are in preventing the spread of this disease.”

In Minnesota, where protests are still ongoing over the death of George Floyd at the hands of a white police officer, state officials have yet to see a marked rise in coronavirus cases as a result of those protests. The results are “very encouraging,” a health official told ABC News. The official attributed the low infection rate to “the fact that many or most protesters were wearing masks, the events were outside, people were often able to maintain a 6-foot distance, and any exposures were of relatively shorter duration, not several hours to the same people in the same place.”

Where state officials are seeing clusters pop up when contact tracing is after crowds of people gather — especially indoors. For instance, Lautenbachit found that 29 cases were traced back to a party in Washington State of 100 to 150 people in early June. Harper’s Restaurant & Brewpub, located outside of Michigan State University, has had 85 cases traced back from people who visited between June 12 and 20. Others who visited have been asked to self-quarantine for two weeks.

In Baton Rouge, La., at least 100 people tested positive for the virus after visiting bars in the Tigerland nightlife district, near Louisiana State University, the New York Times reported. At a Christian summer camp near Colorado Springs, at least 11 employees tested positive as they worked on getting the camp open. It had to promptly cancel overnight stays for the first time in 63 years.

In Florida, Texas, and Arizona, sharp increases in cases are happening among people under 40. Experts are blaming this on “second wave behavior” according to The Guardian, meaning they’ve let their guard down in public. While they may fare better than those who are elderly or have pre-existing conditions, they are continuing to spread the virus to those very people.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cov...kQ_hstAgMCuQencgdVMgfPUwoZJW8DeVBptGWrROqcVo9

As horribly as Trump has handled this, never underestimate the sheer destructive power of garden-variety right-wing stupidity.

My wife saw a guy in Meijer a couple days ago: Late 60s, pistol strapped to his leg, and no mask. Armed for imaginary danger but oblivious to the real threat.
Lol who shops at Meijer!!

Lol who shops at Meijer!!
For those ammosexual (NTTAWTT), anti-First Amendment folks out there ;):

COVID Outbreaks Are Being Traced Back To Parties — Not Protests

f25d436e2ba1f50c41fea9c8773906d3

Clusters have been linked to several university bars and other large social gatherings
As worldwide coronavirus cases tops ten million and the death toll in the U.S. surpasses 128,000, health officials in states that have reopened are seeing surges traced to public gatherings in bars, restaurants, strip clubs, churches, and beaches but not from the nation-wide protests occurring calling for an end to systemic racism and police brutality.

Coronavirus clusters — defined as multiple people contracting COVID-19 at the same event or location — have been increasing at alarming rates in recent weeks. Many infectious disease experts warned that protests may lead to additional outbreaks, but are now finding that’s not the case.

“We did have a rally in Bellingham, which is our county seat, and there was also a protest, and we have not been able to connect a single case to that rally or to the protest, and what we’re finding is in large part that’s due to the use of masks,” Erika Lautenbach, director of the Whatcom County Health Department in Washington State, told NPR’s All Things Considered. “Almost everyone at the rally was wearing a mask, and it’s really a testament to how effective masks are in preventing the spread of this disease.”

In Minnesota, where protests are still ongoing over the death of George Floyd at the hands of a white police officer, state officials have yet to see a marked rise in coronavirus cases as a result of those protests. The results are “very encouraging,” a health official told ABC News. The official attributed the low infection rate to “the fact that many or most protesters were wearing masks, the events were outside, people were often able to maintain a 6-foot distance, and any exposures were of relatively shorter duration, not several hours to the same people in the same place.”

Where state officials are seeing clusters pop up when contact tracing is after crowds of people gather — especially indoors. For instance, Lautenbachit found that 29 cases were traced back to a party in Washington State of 100 to 150 people in early June. Harper’s Restaurant & Brewpub, located outside of Michigan State University, has had 85 cases traced back from people who visited between June 12 and 20. Others who visited have been asked to self-quarantine for two weeks.

In Baton Rouge, La., at least 100 people tested positive for the virus after visiting bars in the Tigerland nightlife district, near Louisiana State University, the New York Times reported. At a Christian summer camp near Colorado Springs, at least 11 employees tested positive as they worked on getting the camp open. It had to promptly cancel overnight stays for the first time in 63 years.

In Florida, Texas, and Arizona, sharp increases in cases are happening among people under 40. Experts are blaming this on “second wave behavior” according to The Guardian, meaning they’ve let their guard down in public. While they may fare better than those who are elderly or have pre-existing conditions, they are continuing to spread the virus to those very people.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cov...kQ_hstAgMCuQencgdVMgfPUwoZJW8DeVBptGWrROqcVo9

Both LA and Houston police depts are having massive spikes in Covid cases from the protests. Two areas where there was a ton of protesting. LA health dir said it was highly likely LA spike was from protests. Other cities have said too early to know bc most protestors were young and likely asymptomatic.

I “liked” your post because I like that you’re looking for data, and I sympathize that it isn’t easy. But remember that deaths are the laggiest indicator. If you wait for trends to appear clearly in deaths, you’ve waited too long on a virus that spreads exponentially.

I’m sorry that I didn’t respond more helpfully to your question, but I’m not entirely sure I understand it. There are a number of reliable sources, and I’m pretty sure they show deaths declining (as they are here in Marion County, Indiana), but the same sources show cases soaring (although not here in Marion County, Indiana). People need situational awareness, and that comes from being savvy and tracking local data. Or at least this is what people need to do when their federal government fails them during a pandemic.
I understand that deaths are certainly lagging, and only one data point. Hospitalizations you would think would be “less lagging”, but what I am trying to understand is 1) how much of the spike in cases are due to numbers of tests, 2) why is this round seem to be hitting younger people much harder, or 3) are younger people, who seem to be asymptomatic at a large rate, just being tested at such a higher rate, that it is really skewing the overall numbers.

Both LA and Houston police depts are having massive spikes in Covid cases from the protests. Two areas where there was a ton of protesting. LA health dir said it was highly likely LA spike was from protests. Other cities have said too early to know bc most protestors were young and likely asymptomatic.

This is you and the Mrs?
5ef9ab9a4dca686d1f04e9a3

wink.gif
wink.gif

Reactions: outside shooter
So how often is that happening, and I ask not knowing. For someone who has followed news and events religiously for ever, the last couple of months, I am ignoring it all. I get what I need for work on CNBC, and they obviously need to track the virus to some extent. But I can’t handle much else, and yes, that includes the media from both sides.

? No idea .. people are more concerned about and fixated on death rates so that's what sells. I can find and have seen examples in articles talking about the post symptom illness, ie blood clotting, breathing disorders, 10 to 12 week recoveries etc but no studies showing percentages affected.

It's all new to them and science can't be hurried. What I do know is that no study is complete or final, many are skewed by bad data or politics, I wish everyone would get that, and at best they are educated estimates with new information added weekly.

Lmao no! but i know the crazy lawyer he hired is an old friend of mine. if you want to read something funny look up south butt lawsuit pleadings. the pleadings he wrote are super entertaining. His Jack Clark stuff is funny too.

good news. 2020 is half over!

Is this a half full or half empty philosophical question?

And the Chinese claim some asymptomatics have unseen damage. A lot is unknown.
Focus everywhere was on stopping spread. Now they're looking into what happens after a bit more.

A virus like this takes more than 7 months to unravel all the mysteries. I think they - scientists and non propaganda media - are doing society a disservice by releasing unverified incomplete or small sample findings too soon. I get why they do it, we want information but it should always be taken with a bit of healthy skepticism, realizing that it's very early in the information game and we really don't know much yet. That's not to say, ignore it, but to realize that it's incomplete. Not as bad as what the propaganda networks are doing but still a bit .. careless... sometimes.

Last edited:
I understand that deaths are certainly lagging, and only one data point. Hospitalizations you would think would be “less lagging”, but what I am trying to understand is 1) how much of the spike in cases are due to numbers of tests, 2) why is this round seem to be hitting younger people much harder, or 3) are younger people, who seem to be asymptomatic at a large rate, just being tested at such a higher rate, that it is really skewing the overall numbers.
These are good questions, and I’m posting solely for the purpose of extolling them while I’m [busy] so I can’t answer them right now, but it’s good you’re asking.

Roll Tide Rona...

Alabama students throwing 'COVID parties' to see who gets infected: Officials
Rising infections prompt Gov. Kay Ivy to extend 'Safer at Home' orders.

Students in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 have been attending parties in the city and surrounding area as part of a disturbing contest to see who can catch the virus first, a city council member told ABC News on Wednesday.

Tuscaloosa City Councilor Sonya McKinstry said students have been organizing "COVID parties" as a game to intentionally infect each other with the contagion that has killed more than 127,000 people in the United States. She said she recently learned of the behavior and informed the city council of the parties occurring in the city.

She said the organizers of the parties are purposely inviting guests who have COVID-19.

"They put money in a pot and they try to get COVID. Whoever gets COVID first gets the pot. It makes no sense," McKinstry said. "They're intentionally doing it."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/alabama-s...-parties-infected-officials/story?id=71552514

November is a long way away, but these are brutal numbers for an incumbent.
For context, incumbents four months before election day in recent decades, thanks to Nate Silver:

1972: Nixon led by almost 20 points
1980: Carter was down by about 12 points
1984: Reagan led by about 13 points
1992: Bush led by about 4 points
1996: Clinton led by 12 points
2004: Bush led by about a point
2012: Obama led by about a point

So of the two men on that list who lost, Trump is a lot closer to Carter right now than Bush.

Reactions: outside shooter
I agree. I've traveled to more than 70 countries in my life. I have never seen the kind or idiocy as here. Most countries' citizens care for the common good, both in their own country and globally. The US right wing is the only group that I've ever known whose goal is constantly to thumb their noses at everyone who is not like them. This is why every normal country in the world has gotten Covid-19 under control, and the right wing is treating it exactly like their denial of man made climate change.

To these aggressively ignorant people, neither are happening. Unfortunately, with Covid-19, they are finding out real time how stupid they are,. As usual the worst of the worst is happening south of the Mason-Dixon line...just like every other issue they wrongly argue.

I noticed a lot of the fanatical left wing protesters in large groups wearing masks....NOT!

Well, I take that back: your ANTIFA buddies were,,, in order to conceal their identities.

TV showed only bigger, rowdier protests. The majority, in many places, practiced social distancing. My daughter protested maybe 10 times in NYC. She sent me pictures with EVERYONE wearing masks and with EVERYONE staying several feet away from one another. These were 100% peaceful protests that included drum circles and sing-a-longs. No cops, no violence, no nothing.

Why is every young protester intent on taking a damn selfie?
Is this about themselves or an actual cause. I think many of these people are in this for the attention. No need to take a damn selfie. This isn’t about you.

Reactions: sglowrider
And us dirty Americans are now banned from traveling to Europe.

Thanks Trump!!! Lol

Seriously when is the right going to look around at the world and realize this is a health crisis and shouldn't be a political crisis.

Trump could have sealed his win if he simply followed Europes lead VS Putin's (or just followed and blamed the scientists like Twitter did with Fauci).

Remember when he said it was democratic led states (NY, CA and WA). Now it's popping in republican led southern states.

Sigh

All he needed to do is simply say this is beyond politics, we've put together a credible staff (not Pense and Kushner) and followed their lead as the steward of the country.

No, now we are being quarantined from the world.

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...f-approved-travel-partners-the-u-s-isnt-on-it

I've said this a million times....wearing a mask does nothing but improve the community.

It also, now stay with me, greatly decreases spreading and/or getting any kind of airborne sickness from a common cold to Sars and to Covid.

In particular in these times with covid, all you are doing is severely handicapping a disease that's f#$king a lot of people up.

Plus as Goldman Sachs just said, they estimate it is worth 5% of our GDP. Not only will is greatly stop the passing, but more people will be comfortable to go to restaurants and stuff.

Plus if we wear masks there's a greater chance that we can have sports again.

I graduated from Kelley in 96 and spent my career in merchandising for a company with a bullseye as its trademark. As a buyer I've seen a zillion pitches.

My point is very rarely have I've seen a pitch about something that could save lives, could make us a healthier community, could make our economy stronger and could allow for my favorite pastimes to comeback providing an invaluable utility.

But I can't get many people to buy in around me.

I don't get it.

And us dirty Americans are now banned from traveling to Europe.

Thanks Trump!!! Lol

Seriously when is the right going to look around at the world and realize this is a health crisis and shouldn't be a political crisis.

Trump could have sealed his win if he simply followed Europes lead VS Putin's (or just followed and blamed the scientists like Twitter did with Fauci).

Remember when he said it was democratic led states (NY, CA and WA). Now it's popping in republican led southern states.

Sigh

All he needed to do is simply say this is beyond politics, we've put together a credible staff (not Pense and Kushner) and followed their lead as the steward of the country.

No, now we are being quarantined from the world.

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...f-approved-travel-partners-the-u-s-isnt-on-it

He couldn't help himself. Claims not to be a politician and yet his natural instinct was to politicise it right at the start.

Can you imagine, they are in the middle of negotiating air bridges/corridors between Singapore and various countries --- an air bubble.
The usual suspects are New Zealand, Australia, S.Korea, Germany etc. Even feckin' China is on the list!!
No USA as expected.

Reactions: TommyCracker
I've said this a million times....wearing a mask does nothing but improve the community.

It also, now stay with me, greatly decreases spreading and/or getting any kind of airborne sickness from a common cold to Sars and to Covid.

In particular in these times with covid, all you are doing is severely handicapping a disease that's f#$king a lot of people up.

Plus as Goldman Sachs just said, they estimate it is worth 5% of our GDP. Not only will is greatly stop the passing, but more people will be comfortable to go to restaurants and stuff.

I graduated from Kelley in 96 and spent my career in merchandising for a company with a bullseye as its trademark. As a buyer I've seen a zillion pitches.

My point is very rarely have I've seen a pitch about something that could save lives, could make us a healthier community, could make our economy stronger and could allow for my favorite pastimes to comeback providing an invaluable utility.

I don't get it.

Tough to pitch the idea of a community in general unless you use the flag, 'constitution' but generally its always easier to sell an idea with a human face as a personification of that idea. Plus the idea of American exceptionalism tends to give people a false sense of superiority including morality from a virus and one they cant even see.

Its easier for Trump since there is a human face that personifies his own 'community' and their pitched values.

I don't get it.

I think this was already posted somewhere, but I don't care, it fits.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” ~ Asimov

fwiw- They know they're ignorant, they know they're wrong but now they have a louder more obnoxious, more annoying voice and a peer validation mechanism making truth a matter of just drowning out fact with ignorance

This will make up for all those years their betters, their smarters, made them feel small, ineffectual and dumb. They don't want to give that up.

This is their last 15 minutes of control, so throw a temper tantrum before black LGBTQ elite liberal antifa take over and abort God or something as ridiculous ..

Cult ...

I think this was already posted somewhere, but I don't care, it fits.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” ~ Asimov

fwiw- They know they're ignorant, they know they're wrong but now they have a louder more obnoxious, more annoying voice and a peer validation mechanism making truth a matter of just drowning out fact with ignorance

This will make up for all those years their betters, their smarters, made them feel small, ineffectual and dumb. They don't want to give that up.

This is their last 15 minutes of control, so throw a temper tantrum before black LGBTQ elite liberal antifa take over and abort God or something as ridiculous ..

Cult ...

You mean, DUMB?

You mean, DUMB?
As an example of dumb, I give you this.

I was in a manufacturing facility that built class A trucks. Exec management wanted to go to a 4 day week 10 per day but decided to leave it to a vote. Everyone was in favor, line and office staff, until we the liberal elite in the office with our spellings, math, and science.voted unanimously in favor and that information leaked.

Someone on the line, which by the way was filled with assemblers, welders, mechanics etc.. some good guys but too many meth-heads, bikers, drunks and toothless .. started a rumor that we were getting paid more and they were getting ripped off in taxes. both of which were ridiculous. To make a boring story shorter, they voted against 4 day weeks. Only because they distrust smarter people.

There is a lot of dumb in this country and a society that sometimes sees that as a virtue.

fwiw - do you agree with this? I've lived in four countries when younger and travelled extensively and I have to say that this country culturally values and trusts intelligence far less than the European and Asian nations do.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT