ADVERTISEMENT

Is Rutgers really a better basketball program than IU

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
Have we fallen that badly that Rutgers is a better program right now than IU?

This is a great point and question , and why I’m negative. We are supposed to believe that the rebuild is such a monumental project , that Rutgers , PSU? Iowa, Purdue , etc.are all worthy of being better than us. Do their coaches make more? No. Do they have bigger recruiting budgets? No. Do they have higher rated players? No. Hmm, what could it be then?

Reactions: cryano

their last NCAA appearance was 1991 and they’ve won 22 big ten games in the last 4 years. Sure, they could be eclipsing IU or you’re just a prisoner of the moment (and your emotions). Tough call on that one but can’t wait to read more scintillating posts. More now please.

This is a great point and question , and why I’m negative. We are supposed to believe that the rebuild is such a monumental project , that Rutgers , PSU? Iowa, Purdue , etc.are all worthy of being better than us. Do their coaches make more? No. Do they have bigger recruiting budgets? No. Do they have higher rated players? No. Hmm, what could it be then?
Better coached. Don't choke down the stretch in close games. Don't have upperclassmen who know how to win close games.

The state of the program isn’t defined by one season. The answer is NO.

MSU, Pu, mich, Wisconsin, osu all have much better programs. Iowa probably does. We are somewhere between 7th and 10th currently as a B10 program with the likes of Minnesota, Illinois, Maryland

Reactions: skippy1813
The state of the program isn’t defined by one season. The answer is NO.

MSU, Pu, mich, Wisconsin, osu all have much better programs. Iowa probably does. We are somewhere between 7th and 10th currently as a B10 program with the likes of Minnesota, Illinois, Maryland
Maryland??? Hell no.

I compared us to ILL with a friend earlier in the year.

Reactions: kkott
Maryland??? Hell no.

I compared us to ILL with a friend earlier in the year.

maryland is a substandard program to PU, osu, MSU, Michigan and Wisconsin. I had Iowa next , then (in no order) IL, MN, MD, and IU. Maybe I am underrating md? Either way I think IU is somewhere in that 7-10 bucket.

No O in 30 minutes vs Rutgers, 0 pts
No O lives up to his name.

maryland is a substandard program to PU, osu, MSU, Michigan and Wisconsin. I had Iowa next , then (in no order) IL, MN, MD, and IU. Maybe I am underrating md? Either way I think IU is somewhere in that 7-10 bucket.

How old are you? You're either a teenager or not very knowledgeable about college bball nationally. MD has a pretty damn good bball history. They have a NC, this century. How many on your list can say that? 2002 NC, Gary Williams, Len Bias, Lefty Driesell... very good history. And, before coming to the B10 where they've still done pretty well, they were regularly in the top third of the ACC. Not Duke/UNC level, but they were at the top of the next tier nipping at their heels. MD is/was a tough place to play. Above IL, PU and MN... right there with OSU, UM and WI.

Reactions: largemouth
Historically: No. This year? They beat us and went in to W Laffy and got a W. Answer your question?

next year I hope it is us wisconsin and Rutgers fighting for the title. Rutgers challenging for the big ten next year, that’s right I said it. Just like I said they would make the tourney this year or next. I wasn’t high enough on them, in easy this year!

next year I hope it is us wisconsin and Rutgers fighting for the title. Rutgers challenging for the big ten next year, that’s right I said it. Just like I said they would make the tourney this year or next. I wasn’t high enough on them, in easy this year!

Rutgers is exactly what we aren't: tough and they want to make plays to win and believe they will. IL has that this year too. I really think that's the difference between us and being a solid tourney and conference team. We have the talent, just not the attitude. I hope someone(s) decides they're tired of it and step forward. I could see that being RP, TJD or RT. Everyone seems to think Galloway has that leadership in him, but it would be surprising to see a freshman come in and do that.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Rutgers is exactly what we aren't: tough and they want to make plays to win and believe they will. IL has that this year too. I really think that's the difference between us and being a solid tourney and conference team. We have the talent, just not the attitude. I hope someone(s) decides they're tired of it and step forward. I could see that being RP, TJD or RT. Everyone seems to think Galloway has that leadership in him, but it would be surprising to see a freshman come in and do that.

Jerome has dog in him, Im telling you he is gonna be the best player on this team his Jr year.

Start Jerome, TJD, Lander, Race next year. That is a group that I wanna see.

Jerome has dog in him, Im telling you he is gonna be the best player on this team his Jr year.

Start Jerome, TJD, Lander, Race next year. That is a group that I wanna see.

That may well be our most talented group (I think RP will be in there too), but it will be tricky for CAM to navigate that with how much AD and JS have played until now. I know many think JS is a grad transfer candidate, so that would take care of itself, but it's really unlikely given his PT to date.

I also want to see more out of JH. I think he is looking for the 3 way too much, and think he'll be even more effective when he shows other parts of his game, like the ability to drive and even a post game. I've seen bits of those, but right now to me he is predominantly a 1 role threat and that makes him much easier to guard.

That may well be our most talented group (I think RP will be in there too), but it will be tricky for CAM to navigate that with how much AD and JS have played until now. I know many think JS is a grad transfer candidate, so that would take care of itself, but it's really unlikely given his PT to date.

I also want to see more out of JH. I think he is looking for the 3 way too much, and think he'll be even more effective when he shows other parts of his game, like the ability to drive and even a post game. I've seen bits of those, but right now to me he is predominantly a 1 role threat and that makes him much easier to guard.
I think we'll see a more well rounded game from Hunter next season. Since this team needs outside shooting more than scoring in the post, he might be doing exactly what he's being asked to do. A summer of full practice after this season of knocking the rust off and acclimating to the college game will hopefully result in a large improvement to his game. At worst, he should be a reliable three point threat for the team next year.

I think we'll see a more well rounded game from Hunter next season. Since this team needs outside shooting more than scoring in the post, he might be doing exactly what he's being asked to do. A summer of full practice after this season of knocking the rust off and acclimating to the college game will hopefully result in a large improvement to his game. At worst, he should be a reliable three point threat for the team next year.

With his length, he is a big matchup problem, but not if he just stands behind the 3 line. Hope you're right about showing more next year, but not that that's what he's being asked to do. The best way to get more open looks, is prove you'll go by someone if you have the chance. It's a big part of what's made Curry so effective. He'd be much easier to guard without his willingness to drive.

How old are you? You're either a teenager or not very knowledgeable about college bball nationally. MD has a pretty damn good bball history. They have a NC, this century. How many on your list can say that? 2002 NC, Gary Williams, Len Bias, Lefty Driesell... very good history. And, before coming to the B10 where they've still done pretty well, they were regularly in the top third of the ACC. Not Duke/UNC level, but they were at the top of the next tier nipping at their heels. MD is/was a tough place to play. Above IL, PU and MN... right there with OSU, UM and WI.
Len Bias is dead, you big dummy.

Dumb post.

Archie took over a team ranked 13th in the B10 (out of 14 teams) in average recruiting ranking. Said team had one legit post player (6'8 and maybe 230lbs Morgan. He graduated last year. We won't count DeRon because of injuries), one shooter (Sr RoJo), no PG, and no scholorships available. I just don't understand how anyone thinks a coach could build a competitive roster that quickly with so many holes and a very weak Sr and Jr class. Pikeill Took over a roster that was almost complete and was competitive (at least score wise) the year before he got there. Let's have so realistic expectations for the best players on the team being Sophomores and Freshmen (is there any argument against that?).

No. Pretty simple. By any measure other than their Big Ten record this year. Is Penn State better? No. Is Iowa better? No. Is Illinois better? No. I think arguments could be made both ways for Purdue. I think Maryland, MSU, Wisconsin, OSU, and Michigan probably are right now.

IUs advantage is how quickly they can turn that though. Decent tourney run this year, if they get in. Upper half to top of conference next year, with a good NCAA showing. And we’re solidly back near the top of the conference in terms “best program”.

Were also one of the few Big Ten schools that is 1 hire away from immediate national prominence. Bring a Donovan or Stevens in, and IU is a top 5 program immediately. Bring someone like Beilien or Beard in...and we’re top 15 or so...and near the top of B10.

Archie can get there himself. But he’s gotta start moving the needle here real damn soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT