ADVERTISEMENT

Is new NIL money allowing this?

They backed out of the scholarship for the high school LS for a reason. No where on their social media does it say they were offered a scholarship.
You have a valid point but I would say it also could simply just be due to experience. To maximize Indiana's potential, year-in and year-out, he wanted guys with established success (at this level) in those roles.

To put it differently, why take on guys who have a decent chance of being worth the scholly when you know every year you can go out and find someone who's already proven it?

The sport is different now. For as bad as IU has been, they are still in the top 2 conferences in the nation. They have the ability to recruit top talent annually from, what are now, feeder programs for the big boys.

Lastly, why spend 1-3 yrs putting work into developing a kid, only to see him depart to another school when he's ready? Might as well skip that phase and be the hunter, not the hunted. It feels like Cigs understands how to maximize the current opportunities in front of him. If the school.is helping with resources as he says, then I think he's taking the right approach.

Last edited:
Starting to think we can take LS and Kicker as walk-ons toward the 105 and give them NIL money and use scholarships for other players like a real football school.

So is the 85 scholarship rule even applicable now?? Couldn't we give our star reciever NIL and call him a "walk on " and free up a scholarship for linebacker or lineman who need the financial help to enroll???

They backed out of the scholarship for the high school LS for a reason. No where on their social media does it say they were offered a scholarship.
I’m not disputing that they’re walking on. I’m saying the LS and the K aren’t getting NIL deals that come anywhere close to offsetting the cost of tuition.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
So is the 85 scholarship rule even applicable now?? Couldn't we give our star reciever NIL and call him a "walk on " and free up a scholarship for linebacker or lineman who need the financial help to enroll???
There isn’t a rule that prohibits this but no sane individual is going to do this. Imagine telling your best player that you’re giving him $200k in NIL money but you have to reserve $50k of it to pay for tuition and housing while we give your scholarship to somebody else.

Think I read where BYU is giving all non scholarship players 35k in NIL money
That's great but I wonder how many years they upped their missions... I think all students at BYU are required a year or two of mission work to graduate. NIL is still a contract and I imagine BYU could require more years... I don't know but it would be interesting to find out.

NIL isn't a contract with the school though.
True, but to earn a degree/graduate from BYU... graduate is the key word.... you are required to take at least a year of mission work... most of the students take it before their senior year but some don't... so, in essence that's a contract with the school and being a private institution that's something the NCAA does not, and cannot, control....

It's not very different than the NIL... but totally separate agreements.

So, I don't see why, legally, they couldn't still say to the player that that much NIL money is contingent on them doing additional mission work for the church..

Last edited:
Reactions: OpenWheels
IUs issue isn’t the scholarship limit, it’s finding 85 kids with enough talent to hang with our schedule who want to come here. Our problem isn’t quantity, it’s quality. Just adding more marginal B1G level players with some gimmick won’t get us there.

A better strategy is give the studs a scholly plus as much NIL as we can scrape together and see if we can’t get 8 or 10 who can keep us in the hunt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT