ADVERTISEMENT

Is MSU the new PSU? . . . Why not?

What was Wilkerson's offense? Was it domestic violence stuff?

I also remember Tommy Baker, Don Cox and Jim Roberson were shown the door, but what was rumored to be marijuana use.

Sherron beat his girlfriend up. As I recall, she had confronted him about him fooling around with other girls. RMK immediately and permanently dismissed him.

The two have since become close, ironically. I think Sherron got in some more trouble later. But he eventually cleaned himself up and even served a stint as an assistant to Pat at Lamar. Wilkerson credits RMK for helping him to get straightened out...

...even more ironic considering RMK has been accused of inappropriate touching.

Reactions: Sope Creek
Yeah, I don't disagree . . . but then she also is in a very difficult position with potential personal liability hanging over her head. I've had a number of folks in similar positions as employees of clients, and the advice is always not to say anything that might affect pending or future litigation. So yeah, it was tone-deaf, self-serving garbage, but then she really couldn't say what was in her heart without it coming back to haunt her - and her insurers and employers - in real money terms later.
But now this mess ends up costing the university even more. In addition to the liability directly from all of this, they have lost even more in terms of reputation, alumni support, etc. Silence is not always the best course of action, even when facing pending litigation. In this case it has created a public relations disaster for MSU that is going to have a much longer, and much greater impact on MSU than what happened to PSU. MSU has repeatedly tried to maintain secrecy on a number of fronts (see article linked below), and it's all crashing down on top of them now.

She absolutely could have said what she really felt (assuming it was different from what she actually said at the time)--and she should have. Her silence is going to end up costing MSU a lot more than if she had spoken her mind.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...on-michigan-state-goes-larry-nassar-case-espn

Yeah, I don't disagree . . . but then she also is in a very difficult position with potential personal liability hanging over her head. I've had a number of folks in similar positions as employees of clients, and the advice is always not to say anything that might affect pending or future litigation. So yeah, it was tone-deaf, self-serving garbage, but then she really couldn't say what was in her heart without it coming back to haunt her - and her insurers and employers - in real money terms later.
I don’t disagree that is smarter to avoid saying something that could incriminate you, but saying “I’m awesome and I’m only being blamed because of politics. Oh, yeah, and I guess I’m sorry something bad happened” most certainly will come back to haunt her. Maybe not legally but someday when she actually looks in the mirror. Protecting yourself is one thing but she came across as uncaring, unempathetic, and not at all contrite in that statement.

Reactions: Bill4411
But is MSU just that much of an outlier, or will other shoes soon drop? Athletic programs have been boys clubs for some time. And they get shielded because of their money/visibility.
There are a bunch of goofball posters on the free bball and fball boards that give Fred Glass grief for being a PC lawyer type and not a "sports guy". I'm thinking in this climate that will prove to be a good thing.

Izzo press conference now, saying in his mind he is not going anywhere. He is not answering much.

I think both Izzo and Dantonio are gone. Izzo may be allowed to finish year, but wow.

i seem to have missed the Izzo and Dantonio connection news flash.

what did they do/ how did they get caught up in this?
Michigan State had a lot of sexual assaults by athletes in their programs. In fact the feds were investigating MSU for not reporting or dealing with said assaults. The two coaches may not have reported assaults. The university also would leave punishment up to the coaches who may not have punished. So it is a tangent to the problem.

For MSU as a whole, the feds were on campus investigating issues of sexual assaults while MSU conducted the last two investigations into the Dr. MSU never told the feds. That seems highly problematic. If MSU is found not to have taken proper responses to student assault claims. It COULD cost them federal research and federal student aid. I seriously doubt it comes to it, but this COULD become a death penalty case not for athletics but the university.

i seem to have missed the Izzo and Dantonio connection news flash.

what did they do/ how did they get caught up in this?
Outside the lines did an investigation and found both basketball and football players involved. I remember one of Izzo's really good teams had Keith Appling and Adrien Payne , both accused of rape. I'm. Ot sure if they ever missed any time, but it was known the charge was out there. That one and one involving an assistant coach in basketball. Multiple violations in football.

I remember one of Izzo's really good teams had Keith Appling and Adrien Payne , both accused of rape. I'm. Ot sure if they ever missed any time, but it was known the charge was out there. That one and one involving an assistant coach in basketball. Multiple violations in football.
The two basketball situations were openly and publicly dealt with at the time. One might disagree with the resolutions, but at least they weren't covered up.

It appears that a large number of football player incidents were handled differently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT