ADVERTISEMENT

Is MSU the new PSU? . . . Why not?

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
We have significantly more sexual abuse by a member of the MSU athletic department being documented in court these days than anything that I'm aware of by Sandusky at PSU, what with more than 100 women testifying regarding Dr. Nassar's abuse of them, from ages 6 through I don't know how old . . . some of the athletes abused were MSU athletes, some Olympic team members, some national junior gymnastic team members . . . one committed suicide because of the pain of the memories of the abuse . . .

. . . and yet we have no calling in outrage for MSU to be kicked out of the BiG Ten, no calls for NCAA sanctions . . .

. . . what's the difference? Is it because the sexual abuse is of girls and women, in a "heterosexual" context? Is it because we've been desensitized to abuse in athletic departments already?

Is it that football is that much more important than non-revenue sports?

BTW, I admit that I've been following this story with personal indignance - a muttering of "they ought to [insert your favorite punishment for sexual abusers here] the guy, but not much more than that, with no discussions at work or here . . .

. . . and I can't put my finger on why. Thoughts?

We have significantly more sexual abuse by a member of the MSU athletic department being documented in court these days than anything that I'm aware of by Sandusky at PSU, what with more than 100 women testifying regarding Dr. Nassar's abuse of them, from ages 6 through I don't know how old . . . some of the athletes abused were MSU athletes, some Olympic team members, some national junior gymnastic team members . . . one committed suicide because of the pain of the memories of the abuse . . .

. . . and yet we have no calling in outrage for MSU to be kicked out of the BiG Ten, no calls for NCAA sanctions . . .

. . . what's the difference? Is it because the sexual abuse is of girls and women, in a "heterosexual" context? Is it because we've been desensitized to abuse in athletic departments already?

BTW, I admit that I've been following this story with personal indignance - a muttering of "they ought to [insert your favorite punishment for sexual abusers here] the guy, but not much more than that, with no discussions at work or here . . .

I had not been following too closely other than like you said...cut his balls off. But I think the thing that made the Penn State issue egregious was the fact that it was reported that Sandusky was doing stuff and they ignored it. A member of the football staff walked in on him doing it, reported that to Paterno and nothing.

Is that the case in the MSU situation with Nasser?

I had not been following too closely other than like you said...cut his balls off. But I think the thing that made the Penn State issue egregious was the fact that it was reported that Sandusky was doing stuff and they ignored it. A member of the football staff walked in on him doing it, reported that to Paterno and nothing.

Is that the case in the MSU situation with Nasser?

That's a central question, and as I said I haven't followed the case closely, but I think the answer to your question is "yes", with reports of the abuse purportedly dating back to 1999.

http://michiganradio.org/post/timeline-long-history-abuse-dr-larry-nassar

The McQueary saga for PSU is what did it for me. This guy witnessed rape in the locker room, told his superiors as a first hand witness, and they did NOTHING.

I hope Joe Paterno’s corpse is rife with maggots.

Not that I want details, but do we know the details of the Nassar abuse and how it compares to that of Sandusky?

Reactions: IUgradman
This is your answer.

Who is the women's gymnastics coach at IU? Purdue? MSU? And what women's gymnastics teams -- or competitors -- do you follow? Are there women's gymnastics highlights on Sports Center?

The only time anybody pays any attention to women's gymnastics is for a week every four years. A new "darling" is crowned, and then it's forgotten.

This is your answer.

Who is the women's gymnastics coach at IU? Purdue? MSU? And what women's gymnastics teams -- or competitors -- do you follow? Are there women's gymnastics highlights on Sports Center?

The only time anybody pays any attention to women's gymnastics is for a week every four years. A new "darling" is crowned, and then it's forgotten.

I used to be able to tell you who the UGA gymnastics coach was - Suzanne Yoculan - until she retired. She had a dominant program . . . and maybe that's the point. No big names implicated, no outrage . . .

. . . but geez, this guy was a doctor for the women's national gymnastics teams for decades . . . and nobody ever followed up on the reports?

I used to be able to tell you who the UGA gymnastics coach was - Suzanne Yoculan - until she retired. She had a dominant program . . . and maybe that's the point. No big names implicated, no outrage . . .

. . . but geez, this guy was a doctor for the women's national gymnastics teams for decades . . . and nobody ever followed up on the reports?
I think the really interesting thing about the Penn State case is that so many fans and Paterno devotees were and are still determined to let him and football off the hook. In the MSU case I don't imagine that there will be any such constitutency interested in protecting wrongdoers in the athletic department. Now...if the popular football or basketball coach were to be implicated we would have a different deal.

Reactions: Bill4411

I suspect we simply don't associate Nassar with MSU the way we associate a football coaching staff with a university. Rightly or wrongly, the public perception is largely that this was a non-MSU problem.

That will not necessarily be the case legally, of course. So we have to see how it plays out.

Reactions: baileyiu
This is your answer.

Who is the women's gymnastics coach at IU? Purdue? MSU?
Don’t know who coaches MSU, but neither IU nor Purdue have gymnastics teams.

As for MSU, things are still in the early stages with regard to the repercussions over Nassar. Still, I think the biggest distinction compared to Sandusky is the vast difference in the attention given to MSUs role and college gymnastics in general, rather than the fact that this was heterosexual in nature, as some have suggested. Almost everyone views pedophilia as extreme perversity, whether homosexual or heterosexual in nature. Sandusky and Nassar are equally entitled to burn in Hell, and I think almost everyone would agree with that.

Reactions: MrBing
I suspect we simply don't associate Nassar with MSU the way we associate a football coaching staff with a university. Rightly or wrongly, the public perception is largely that this was a non-MSU problem.

That will not necessarily be the case legally, of course. So we have to see how it plays out.
But that’s only because of the lack of news coverage for college gymnastics. This, to me, is more of an MSU problem than Sandusky was a PSU problem. Nassar sexually assaulted young women while he was ostensibly treating them in his role as an MSU employee. Parents paid MSU for Nassar violating their daughters. It’s disgusting, and MSU’s attitude is giving me great pause in contemplating driving my son there for a campus visit.

I think the presence of USA Gymnastics muddies the waters in the court of public opinion. The original Indy Star articles pointed them out more, the women are pointing more at them. MSU is somewhat shielded, though certainly not legally.

This may change once the courts get involved. MSU failed to find wrongdoing in 3 investigations. One consisted of calling four of his closest confidants and asking if his practices followed guidelines. All 4 said yes, but were hardly neutral. Plus it appears the former MSU coach and 2 trainers failed to report.

It is an amazingly sad situation. But I expect USA Gymnastics will continue to be seen as chief villain.

It does muddy the waters, because before now, I didn't even know the Dr. was treating them at MSU. I just assumed this was all a USA gymnastics problem.

It does muddy the waters, because before now, I didn't even know the Dr. was treating them at MSU. I just assumed this was all a USA gymnastics problem.

It was a mixture of both. I think he was abusing/molesting MSU gymnasts in his role there while also doing the same in his role with USA Gymnastics.

The main take away from all of this for me is to instill in your kids what is right and wrong, encourage them to speak up, and when it comes to entrusting your children to some other adult, follow Reagan's policy with the Soviets. Trust but verify.

It was a mixture of both. I think he was abusing/molesting MSU gymnasts in his role there while also doing the same in his role with USA Gymnastics.

The main take away from all of this for me is to instill in your kids what is right and wrong, encourage them to speak up, and when it comes to entrusting your children to some other adult, follow Reagan's policy with the Soviets. Trust but verify.
It wasn't just MSU gymnasts. MSU athletes from other sports came forward: at least track, cross country, softball and I believe basketball (heard the latter secondhand). Dancers as well, although I'm not sure of their connection with MSU. In addition, he was treating non-MSU athletes as an employee of MSU (he was employed by MSU for almost 20 years).

As I have thought about this more since last night, perhaps there is something to the claim that the outrage is less because the victims were female and/or because it was heterosexual in nature. This case dwarfs the Sandusky/Penn State scandal given that at least 140 young women have accused Nassar of sexual assault, etc. For some, it started when they were as young as 12 (perhaps even younger). On top of that, much of the abuse occurred during the course of Nassar working for MSU. That alone elevates MSU's responsibility compared to PSU and Sandusky.

One can only hope that more people begin paying attention and MSU is held accountable to an even greater degree than PSU was. Of course it's a lot easier to figure out how to punish a major college football program than it is a gymnastics team or an entire athletic department. Still, the fact that no one at MSU has yet to face any repercussions is outrageous (I suppose the gymnastics coach did a little bit--she was suspended and then retired the following day last year).

And where is the NCAA on all of this? Backtracking rather than moving forward. As the article below notes, the NCAA actually decided after the fact that they overreached in punishing PSU (something I did not know previously). And guess who is currently the chairman of the executive committee of the NCAA--none other than Lou Anna Simon, the current president of MSU. Hopefully the NCAA and MSU will soon be looking for her replacement.
https://thinkprogress.org/michigan-state-nassar-accountable-eded1a15229e/

It wasn't just MSU gymnasts. MSU athletes from other sports came forward: at least track, cross country, softball and I believe basketball (heard the latter secondhand). Dancers as well, although I'm not sure of their connection with MSU. In addition, he was treating non-MSU athletes as an employee of MSU (he was employed by MSU for almost 20 years).

As I have thought about this more since last night, perhaps there is something to the claim that the outrage is less because the victims were female and/or because it was heterosexual in nature. This case dwarfs the Sandusky/Penn State scandal given that at least 140 young women have accused Nassar of sexual assault, etc. For some, it started when they were as young as 12 (perhaps even younger). On top of that, much of the abuse occurred during the course of Nassar working for MSU. That alone elevates MSU's responsibility compared to PSU and Sandusky.

One can only hope that more people begin paying attention and MSU is held accountable to an even greater degree than PSU was. Of course it's a lot easier to figure out how to punish a major college football program than it is a gymnastics team or an entire athletic department. Still, the fact that no one at MSU has yet to face any repercussions is outrageous (I suppose the gymnastics coach did a little bit--she was suspended and then retired the following day last year).

And where is the NCAA on all of this? Backtracking rather than moving forward. As the article below notes, the NCAA actually decided after the fact that they overreached in punishing PSU (something I did not know previously). And guess who is currently the chairman of the executive committee of the NCAA--none other than Lou Anna Simon, the current president of MSU. Hopefully the NCAA and MSU will soon be looking for her replacement.

Can we punish their football and basketball programs anyway? ;)

I think their should be some punishment and I suspect that the nature of the coverage is different because at PSU it involved Joe Paterno. His name and the stature of his program helped with the coverage of that.

I think their should be some punishment and I suspect that the nature of the coverage is different because at PSU it involved Joe Paterno. His name and the stature of his program helped with the coverage of that.
That certainly is a factor in the increased coverage. I also think that much of the focus to date regarding Nassar has been on USA Gymnastics rather than MSU for similar reasons. Most people are very familiar with Olympic gymnasts, but not MSU's gymnastics team. Heck, I did not even know they had a team until recently.

The Boilers will punish their basketball team in a few weeks. (I know this is an IU board, and this is way off-topic, but this year may be the best Purdue team ever. It is certainly the best I have seen in 35+ years.)

The Boilers will punish their basketball team in a few weeks. (I know this is an IU board, and this is way off-topic, but this year may be the best Purdue team ever. It is certainly the best I have seen in 35+ years.)
I haven't seen them enough to compare to Baby Boilers before Hummel got hurt. The only games I've seen completely were over Thanksgiving with the fam in Bahamas. They have certainly gotten it together since then. It's a very down year in the B1G, so it's hard to tell, but they have a nice balance, lots of depth, and senior leadership. They have a good chance of getting their first number one ranking ever. And seriously, how has that never happened? I know one year it was one game away from happening.

This is your answer.

Indiana doesn’t have a gymnastics program, but I get your point.

Ooooh, a good conspiracy theory tidbit there, Noodle.

Where's @Aloha Hoosier when you need him?

I haven't seen them enough to compare to Baby Boilers before Hummel got hurt. The only games I've seen completely were over Thanksgiving with the fam in Bahamas. They have certainly gotten it together since then. It's a very down year in the B1G, so it's hard to tell, but they have a nice balance, lots of depth, and senior leadership. They have a good chance of getting their first number one ranking ever. And seriously, how has that never happened? I know one year it was one game away from happening.
I'm no basketball expert, but I can say with certainty that they are significantly better than the "Baby Boilers" w/Hummel. And I too was shocked when I heard (just last night) that Purdue has never had a #1 ranking (unless you go way back to whatever the ranking system was when Wooden was playing).

The McQueary saga for PSU is what did it for me. This guy witnessed rape in the locker room, told his superiors as a first hand witness, and they did NOTHING.

I hope Joe Paterno’s corpse is rife with maggots.

Not that I want details, but do we know the details of the Nassar abuse and how it compares to that of Sandusky?
Ok so I watched the videos of the girls confronting him in court. There’s no difference in level of atrocity at all. This guy needs to burn.

We never hear MSU when we hear Nassar. We always hear US Gymnastics. That’s why MSU is not the new Penn State...at least in the court of public opinion.

Reactions: MrBing
We never hear MSU when we hear Nassar. We always hear US Gymnastics. That’s why MSU is not the new Penn State...at least in the court of public opinion.
Seems to me that the accusers getting all the press came to be associated with him or referred to him through US Gymnastics, not MSU.

Seems to me that the accusers getting all the press came to be associated with him or referred to him through US Gymnastics, not MSU.
That's because those who saw him via USA Gymnastics includes well-known Olympic gymnasts while those from MSU are not. However, I think things are being ratcheted up this week. Frankly, I will be surprised if MSU's president and athletic director make it to the end of the month--heck, they might not last the week.

This is far from nearing the end for MSU.

So MSU hired a law firm to look into MSU's role. Various people, including Michigan's AG, asked to see the final report (which cleared MSU). MSU and the law firm say no final report exists and cannot be shared. Since the law firm found nothing wrong, they could write no report. Detroit News. They have learned from Penn State, Penn State's investigation was independent and doomed them. Unfortunately the clear lesson from PSU is to stonewall. But that should be the wrong answer. The NCAA blew it by penalizing PSU for being open.

It appears on two different occasions police were called, and nothing was done (two different departments). There is absolutely no one coming out of this clean. As a society, how did we ever get to the point that so many people would work to protect a child molester? I am sure in their minds they were thinking "oh, he's a great and powerful man, he can't be a molester". But it is the same thing as protecting a molester.

Ok so I watched the videos of the girls confronting him in court. There’s no difference in level of atrocity at all. This guy needs to burn.

That absolutely must change. In my opinion, MSU's level of responsibility far exceeds Penn State's. Worse yet, MSU refuses to accept responsibility. From the linked article:

Tuesday was a parade of pain and power, of heart-wrenching tales and glimmers of hope, of rage and forgiveness, of nearly every emotion on the spectrum. It was a day of tears. Of horror. And yet, it was also a day of love and strength in a courtroom for the brave.

Women stood up and spoke. Videos were played from as far away as Korea. Parents read for daughters. Brothers stood behind sisters, husbands beside wives.

One mother, Donna Markham, came to speak of her daughter, Chelsea, who committed suicide in 2009.

“It all started with him,” Markham said of Nassar and her once full-of-life child’s descent into depression.

A daughter, Kyle Stephens, spoke of how she was abused at age 6 by Nassar and eventually told her father, who didn’t believe her. In 2016, when the case broke, her dad committed suicide due to guilt and grief, Stephens said.

Yet, part of the tale of the packed courtroom was who didn’t come to hear it, who didn’t attend, who couldn’t be bothered, or simply wasn’t brave enough, to show up.

Lou Anna K. Simon, president of Michigan State University, where Nassar operated for decades with impunity despite victims speaking up? Nope.

Any member of the Michigan State Board of Directors, which keeps standing behind Simon and an investigative process victims call empty and pointless? Nope.

No sign of anyone from Michigan State. No sign at all. Three and a half miles from campus and not a one.

After much consideration, President Simon and Board of Trustee Chairperson Brian Breslin chose not to attend,” MSU spokesman Jason Cody said. “They believe Nassar’s sentencing is about getting justice for the victims, so the focus and priority should remain on them. They are truly sorry for the abuse these victims suffered and want to hear these brave women as they make their voices heard. Both the President and Trustee Breslin are viewing the sentencing hearing through live media streaming.”​

Justice for the victims should not end with Nassar rotting in prison the rest of his life.

https://sports.yahoo.com/michigan-s...-watch-larry-nassar-sentencing-223911625.html

I'm not Noodle, but my guess would be (a) the number of victims are much greater, (b) the length of time is longer, and (c) some of what Nassar did was in the course of performing his duties as a physician at MSU, whereas PSU could argue that none of what he did was in the course of his duties as a football coach. (c) is something of a technical legal argument, but it is a valid distinction.

I'm not Noodle, but my guess would be (a) the number of victims are much greater, (b) the length of time is longer, and (c) some of what Nassar did was in the course of performing his duties as a physician at MSU, whereas PSU could argue that none of what he did was in the course of his duties as a football coach. (c) is something of a technical legal argument, but it is a valid distinction.
My primary basis for my view that MSU is more responsible than PSU was is the fact that Nassar sexually abused and assaulted young women and girls (as young as 6) in the course of his employment by MSU. Also, multiple people told MSU that Nassar was engaging in inappropriate touching. Yet, due to systemic failures throughout MSU, he was allowed to continue sexually assaulting young women in his MSU office, during "medical treatments" for which the victims parents were paying MSU. You are right that this line of reasoning has some legal underpinnings, but I was not really basing my opinion on those legal technicalities.

To me, it just seems that MSU, the institution, is more blameworthy than PSU. Maybe I feel that way right now because MSU is trying to wash its hands of everything rather than looking in the mirror. But, consider this from the article linked below:

Dr. William Strampel, the dean of Michigan State’s College of Osteopathic Medicine and Nassar’s boss, barred Nassar from seeing patients as investigations were launched by both the campus police and MSU’s Office for Inclusion and Intercultural Initiatives. The latter assigned to the case a new hire in the school’s general counsel office with a background in labor law. Within three months it “exonerated” Nassar.

Strampel reinstated Nassar, but not before putting restrictions on him, which, an email detailed, included:

“1) We will have another person (resident, nurse, etc) in the room whenever we are approaching a patient to perform procedures of anything close to a sensitive area.

“2) The procedure which caused the patient emotional distress because of her interpretation will be modified in the future to be sure that there is little to no skin to skin contact when in these regions. Should this be absolutely necessary, the procedure will be explained in detail with another person in the room for both the explanation and procedure.”

While Strampel’s claim of “we will have …” suggests significant oversight, Nassar was actually allowed to operate on the honor system. No one informed patients, their parents or even the nurses in the office about the restrictions. Strampel told police “he did not see the need to follow-up to ensure that he was complying with the guidelines that were common sense for all physicians.” He didn’t tell “other employees in Sports Medicine … because they did not know about the investigation that had taken place, and since Dr. Nassar was cleared of all wrong doing.” Basically, Nassar was still considered an honorable man of medicine.

Also troubling is that while the MSU Title IX investigation had cleared him, Nassar was still under investigation by the campus police, which are more equipped to handle these kinds of cases.

Unfortunately, that too proved fruitless, not to mention terribly slow. It wasn’t until July 2015, some 14 months after the initial complaint, that police forwarded their investigation to Ingham (Michigan) County prosecutors. It took another five months, December 2015, for prosecutors to conclude they wouldn’t charge Nassar. Instead, a campus detective was sent to meet with Nassar and “advise” him to “thoroughly explain his medical technique to patients prior to touching them” as well as “have someone in the exam room at all times.”

Yet again, though, nothing was put in place to enforce that.

At least 14 of my clients were assaulted after 2014,” said Mick Grewal, a Lansing-attorney representing dozens of Nassar’s victims. “That should not have happened. This was systematic failure by Michigan State.”​

https://sports.yahoo.com/case-repor...-state-led-larry-nassar-terror-010033574.html

I think the presence of USA Gymnastics muddies the waters in the court of public opinion. The original Indy Star articles pointed them out more, the women are pointing more at them. MSU is somewhat shielded, though certainly not legally.

This may change once the courts get involved. MSU failed to find wrongdoing in 3 investigations. One consisted of calling four of his closest confidants and asking if his practices followed guidelines. All 4 said yes, but were hardly neutral. Plus it appears the former MSU coach and 2 trainers failed to report.

It is an amazingly sad situation. But I expect USA Gymnastics will continue to be seen as chief villain.
When I first heard about the allegations I was under the impression that he was only tied to USA Gymnastics. It wasn’t until much later that I heard about his ties to MSU. Perhaps the media initially placed too much emphasis on his USA Gymnastics ties and that’s a big part of the reason?

Nassar sent a note to the judge saying that being forced to listen to the victim statements was cruel to him. That man has a lot of gall. Frankly they should just reach a deal with him where they forget to take his shoe laces from him one night.

Nassar sent a note to the judge saying that being forced to listen to the victim statements was cruel to him. That man has a lot of gall. Frankly they should just reach a deal with him where they forget to take his shoe laces from him one night.
Just read that. At first I wondered why his attorneys did not put a stop to the note. Then the optimistic side of me, the side that will forever believe that most people are far more good than bad, thought maybe his attorneys, after reading the note, said "Go for it Larry; that's a great idea."

I firmly believe that even Larry Nassar is entitled to competent representation. But I've always wondered how a criminal defense attorney representing someone like Nassar is able to remain sane and enjoy their work. Why they don't seem to suddenly snap, or fall into a deep depression as a result of a week like this one. Maybe, just maybe, his attorney seized the opportunity of a moment of personal redemption. After all, Nassar is going to prison for the rest of his life. Nothing will change that, including anything his attorney might do (or not do) during this sentencing phase.

Tis true, POTFB are good this year. It's also said that monkeys could eventually randomly type Hamlet's soliloquy, which I recommend you keep handy come March Madness... :cool:

Reactions: Noodle
Nassar was not being protected to prop up a wildly successful big money sports team as Penn State did. I think the public believes PSU simply was covering up for Paterno and the football team directly which I is why this will be seen differently.

MSU's Board of Trustees have called a meeting for 10:30 today. Speculation is that Lou Anna Simon may be out as President, however, as late as yesterday trustees said they will supported her. http://www.espn.com.au/college-spor...rd-trustees-hold-previously-unplanned-meeting

ESPN is reporting that MSU has asked the Michigan AG to investigate MSU's conduct in relation to the Nassar misconduct.

I would have thought (a) they'd have done this long ago, and (b) they'd have had at least one outside law firm doing an independent investigation. I can't decide whether the referral to the Michigan AG is a white wash or a legitimate interest in an independent analysis of MSU's conduct . . . I guess because I haven't been following this story closely enough . . .

. . . nah, my instincts tell me this has to be a whitewash. It's just too little, too late, to do any good in managing Nassar's employment with MSU effectively. Sure, that's hindsight, but the mass of allegations are that there's been plenty to investigate and find for decades . . . that's an awful lot of smoke not to have a fire burning the house down inside-out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT