ADVERTISEMENT

Is MSU the new PSU? . . . Why not?

Speaking of MSU escaping public scrutiny because of the fingers pointed at USA Gymnastics, this tremendous piece was published in the Detroit News yesterday. It names at least 14 people at MSU who were aware to at least some extent what was going on with Nassar.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/te...sident-told-nassar-complaint-2014/1042071001/
Yep. Read that yesterday. And today the Board of Trustees doubled down on stupidity. After a four hour closed door meeting they said that the President still has their full support. They are stepping on the accelerator as the bus heads for a cliff.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Yep. Read that yesterday. And today the Board of Trustees doubled down on stupidity. After a four hour closed door meeting they said that the President still has their full support. They are stepping on the accelerator as the bus heads for a cliff.
I listened to a reporter from the MSU student paper on the radio a couple days ago. Apparently they have been pushing hard for MSU to clean house, starting with Simon, all the way down through the athletic department.

Despite the Board's current support, I will be surprised if Simon survives this, especially now that the AG is looking into it.

I listened to a reporter from the MSU student paper on the radio a couple days ago. Apparently they have been pushing hard for MSU to clean house, starting with Simon, all the way down through the athletic department.

Despite the Board's current support, I will be surprised if Simon survives this, especially now that the AG is looking into it.

Apparently MSU had Patrick Fitzgerald do an investigation a while back, and that investigation revealed no indication that MSU did anything wrong . . . Fitz isn't a trifle.

Apparently MSU had Patrick Fitzgerald do an investigation a while back, and that investigation revealed no indication that MSU did anything wrong . . . Fitz isn't a trifle.
You mean the same Patrick Fitzgerald that is defense counsel for MSU in the Nassar lawsuits?

Reactions: 76-1
Did you see this link above? It seems strange to investigate and not have a report. I am not a lawyer, but it sure sounds more like a whitewash.

If he was acting as an independent investigator, it's more likely that he'd have issued a report. If he's acting as a defense attorney - which Noodle says he is and I have no reason not to believe Noodle - then there's no way he issues a report because the investigation would in all likelihood be subject to an attorney work product privilege.

White wash might be a bit off . . . if the intent of the investigation was developing a defense all along then saying that Fitzpatrick was conducting an investigation to leave the impression that it was an independent one would be highly misleading . . . not a white wash per se . . . maybe worse . . . a manipulation of public opinion under the guise of "getting to the bottom of things".

If he was acting as an independent investigator, it's more likely that he'd have issued a report. If he's acting as a defense attorney - which Noodle says he is and I have no reason not to believe Noodle - then there's no way he issues a report because the investigation would in all likelihood be subject to an attorney work product privilege.

White wash might be a bit off . . . if the intent of the investigation was developing a defense all along then saying that Fitzpatrick was conducting an investigation to leave the impression that it was an independent one would be highly misleading . . . not a white wash per se . . . maybe worse . . . a manipulation of public opinion under the guise of "getting to the bottom of things".

It just strikes me they are learning the lesson the NCAA taught Penn State, do no independent investigation.

Back in December, MSU made a statement that said something to the effect of "We have told our lead attorney, who we engaged to prepare for potential civil liability, to cooperate with the AG." Or something like that. I can't remember where I read it, but it was basically a word-for-word copy of the definition of work product, so you are probably spot on with your guess.

Did these girls parents know about the sexual assault/abuse? How the hell do you not do something about that, particularly if you are a father?

Did these girls parents know about the sexual assault/abuse? How the hell do you not do something about that, particularly if you are a father?

One very sad case, the father refused to believe the daughter. They really fell apart over it. When the father learned the truth, he committed suicide.

In another case a girl told a therapist. The therapist called in the parents and all three worked to persuade her she was lying.

One time the abuse happened with the patent in the room. They said the doctor maneuvered his body to block the parent's line of site. The girl thought this was obviously ok because her mom was in the room.

One very sad case, the father refused to believe the daughter. They really fell apart over it. When the father learned the truth, he committed suicide.

In another case a girl told a therapist. The therapist called in the parents and all three worked to persuade her she was lying.

One time the abuse happened with the patent in the room. They said the doctor maneuvered his body to block the parent's line of site. The girl thought this was obviously ok because her mom was in the room.
Jesus Christ, dude.

Jesus Christ, dude.

Americans are mesmerized by "the great man". Everyone thought he was great, so obviously the kids had to be lying. The sooner we learn that being great in one area, sports, business, politics, message board posting, does not prevent one from being a total sleezeball in other areas the better.

:eek:

My son was at Campus Children's Center, about five years old. They took mandatory naps every day. They told me he slept every time. He told me he didn't. I believed him and questioned him further, saying they said he was still the whole time. He said that was because his friend Z___ was always moving around and the sleep attendant would hold her head down to keep her still and he didn't want her to do that to him. My wife and I were shocked of course. We went straight to the principal, who was in an awkward position because she used the same woman as a babysitter. The story was corroborated and she had to be let go.

It always boils down to what kind of communication parents establish with their children.

The NCAA has sent a letter of inquiry to MSU. This is going to be tough for the NCAA. Normally they penalize a sport, and top if off with institutional control as additional punishment for that sport. This is an institutional control issue, but there isn't "a sport" to punish. Female athletes across several sports were impacted. How does the NCAA handle this? My guess is MSU gets a strongly worded letter.

Also, the MSU faculty are pushing to have the faculty council hold a "no confidence" vote on their president.

The Detroit Free Press says Simon to resign tomorrow (Thursday).

I think she did the right thing with the right timing. Waiting until the sentencing hearings were over with was the right move, so the focus could be on the victims and their stories, plus getting a measure of justice.

I think she did the right thing with the right timing. Waiting until the sentencing hearings were over with was the right move, so the focus could be on the victims and their stories, plus getting a measure of justice.
Oh come on. This has nothing to do with timing, other than the fact that the heat started melting her. She did not decide to wait until sentencing was done to make her announcement. No, she and the trustees were delusional, thinking that this "Nassar thing" would blow over and that she could survive.

There is no way in hell that she should get praise or even a suggestion that "she did the right thing" by waiting to resign until after the sentencing was completed. That ship sailed a long time ago.`

And Trustee Joel Ferguson must be the next to go. His attitude has been atrocious for a long time, and, like Simon, he has continued to dig the hole deeper.

This is far from over.

Reactions: 76-1
Last edited:
Oh come on. This has nothing to do with timing, other than the fact that the heat started melting her. She did not decide to wait until sentencing was done to make her announcement. No, she and the trustees were delusional, thinking that this "Nassar thing" would blow over and that she could survive.

There is no way in hell that she should get praise or even a suggestion that "she did the right thing" by waiting to resign until after the sentencing was completed. That ship sailed a long time ago.`

And Trustee Joel Ferguson must be the next to go. His attitude has been atrocious for a long time, and, like Simon, he has continued to dig the hole deeper.

This is far from over.
I have to agree. Simon thought she was going to survive, and is only leaving now because she has no other option. Expect the new (or interim) Prez to completely clean house in the Athletic Department.

AD gone. If this OTL tease is accurate, MSU is going to have to burn down the whole damn thing. Izzo is reportedly "distraught," while Dantonio is undoubtedly already updating his resume.

Whatever the timing, her statement on Wednesday was a tone deaf, self-serving pile of garbage.

Reactions: RBB89
Keep in mind: MSU is probably going to bring in an outsider as AD with one command: "Clean it up." Retiring now better than being fired in a few months.

Im just now reading into this story....

...so Dantonio and Izzo both covered up sexual assaults by players? Is that the gist of it (as far as their involvement anyway)?

Wooh boy. If it's true and they both know it's true, then why not step down? The prez and AD are both gone.

Im just now reading into this story....

...so Dantonio and Izzo both covered up sexual assaults by players? Is that the gist of it (as far as their involvement anyway)?

Wooh boy. If it's true and they both know it's true, then why not step down? The prez and AD are both gone.

I read the story, and it looks REAL bad for MSU. But with the Prez and AD gone, who is left to force them out? Izzo would almost certainly have time to finish this season before new management, he could retire as soon as they finish. Plus Barstool doesn't have great credibility.

I read the story, and it looks REAL bad for MSU. But with the Prez and AD gone, who is left to force them out? Izzo would almost certainly have time to finish this season before new management, he could retire as soon as they finish. Plus Barstool doesn't have great credibility.

It's a public university. Not sure what the status of their current BoT is -- maybe some of them are gone, too? Even then, I'm sure they have some level of accountability to the governor and legislature.

DOE is investigating, too.

And then you have major boosters and such.

What a mess. How does a coach (ahem Alford ahem) not handle these sorts of things appropriately?

Remember Knight and Sherron Wilkerson? That's how you do it, guys.

To be fair, Barstool also reported Izzo wants to finish the season first.

This is far from over.

First, no one said this was over.

Second, my thinking is - and was - that her fate was sealed by the time of the BOT meeting that took place during the last week of the sentencing hearing, and that she waited until the hearing was over with from that time - which I still contend was the right thing to do under those circumstances. I agree with you that she'd tried to side-step responsibility until the sentencing hearing, but that testimony was more than she could avoid.

To be fair, Barstool also reported Izzo wants to finish the season first.

That is more plausible, announce this is his last season. I took it as "effective immediately". It must be breaking, if it is happening, as the football coach is on a recruiting trip. If he knew this was coming, I don't think he would have gone. Still, I'm not quite buying it. How does Barstool get the big news and not a Detroit paper, CNN, ESPN, or whomever bigger?

Whatever the timing, her statement on Wednesday was a tone deaf, self-serving pile of garbage.

Yeah, I don't disagree . . . but then she also is in a very difficult position with potential personal liability hanging over her head. I've had a number of folks in similar positions as employees of clients, and the advice is always not to say anything that might affect pending or future litigation. So yeah, it was tone-deaf, self-serving garbage, but then she really couldn't say what was in her heart without it coming back to haunt her - and her insurers and employers - in real money terms later.

It's a public university. Not sure what the status of their current BoT is -- maybe some of them are gone, too? Even then, I'm sure they have some level of accountability to the governor and legislature.

DOE is investigating, too.

And then you have major boosters and such.

What a mess. How does a coach (ahem Alford ahem) not handle these sorts of things appropriately?

Remember Knight and Sherron Wilkerson? That's how you do it, guys.

What was Wilkerson's offense? Was it domestic violence stuff?

I also remember Tommy Baker, Don Cox and Jim Roberson were shown the door, but what was rumored to be marijuana use.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT