ADVERTISEMENT

Is free will the most important option?

Would you give up free will in return for happiness and having your needs met?

• Yes

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • Maybe, if I had more information

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

IUCrazy2

Hall of Famer
Mar 7, 2004
Came across some interesting claims from someone and thought this poll could lead to some interesting discussion.

I want to see some responses before I show what prompted this question and I think the discussion will grow from there. Up front, I am a no.

Ok, heavily on the no's. So a bit of a primer. Yuval Noah Harari believes that humans are hackable animals and that our free will can be subverted, if we even have free will to begin with. He also believes that eventually some of our monitoring will go under the skin.

Things we think of as "free will" decisions are biological functions that with time, understanding, and technology could be hacked. An implant that stimulates the brain could make you happy. It could make you fall in love. He makes a point that we already willingly allow ourselves to be hacked by algorithms and often it is just for "free" access to things like Facebook. The algorithms in Google lead us to "truth". So at what point would we be willing to accept an under the skin technology that can monitor our health? It would detect things like cancer or disease at an early state to be treated. In return, you are monitored by governments, corporations, etc. at a more intrusive level then ever before.

Now what if that technology was offered up as a way to be happy? You can live whatever life you have but discontent is wiped away because the tech knows how to hit the right parts of the brain to stimulate content. All you have to do is give your free will up and you are likely to be more healthy, more happy, and have your needs met by the AI that has taken the majority of what we now consider "work" over.

neo-wakes-up-640x353.jpg

Reactions: larsIU
Like that, but not.

It would be an active choice to decide. Would be more like the character in that movie who ends up betraying them and wants back into the Matrix because the illusion was better for him than the reality.
That's what I was thinking of...thanks.

BTW, when I first saw this thread, I thought it was going to be a debate on free will vs. predestination, which is also interesting.

Reactions: hoot1 and UncleMark
That's what I was thinking of...thanks.

BTW, when I first saw this thread, I thought it was going to be a debate on free will vs. predestination, which is also interesting.
That talk goes down a religious path, which I am willing to do but sometimes this board is not best built for that. Some people are really hostile to that talk.

This talk can go down that path too though. If you search Harari on YouTube, you will find quite a few videos of people talking about him from a very religious bent.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
The joke answer is that it’s an obvious yes, it’s called marriage.

The guy answer is no because it feels wrong.

The philosophical answer is it’s not answerable. If you made a free choice to give up free choice in exchange for happiness and having needs met then you got there by making a free choice. And if you’re happy, then it’s implicit that you would be satisfied with your choice to give up choice.

There’s an episode of Cosmos: Possible Worlds on Disney+That examines the animals that we assume are basically automatons and challenges some preconceived notions on that. I don’t recall the episode title but it’s interesting.

Came across some interesting claims from someone and thought this poll could lead to some interesting discussion.

I want to see some responses before I show what prompted this question and I think the discussion will grow from there. Up front, I am a no.
I’m also a definite no. I think the human mind is an organism that can never be replaced with AI unless we allow it to be. I’ve read more and more about how going through decision-making processes is vital for brain health and development . We see more and more situations where we relieve people of the burdens of decisions and decision making. AI and implants are examples.

Zoo’s were reformed when it was apparent that the animals weren’t happy just having their needs met.

Nobody really likes ‘jail’, do they.

TMFT effectively proves the question is metaphysical (And unknowable).

I’m with NPT, and prefer free choice every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

The joke answer is that it’s an obvious yes, it’s called marriage.

The guy answer is no because it feels wrong.

The philosophical answer is it’s not answerable. If you made a free choice to give up free choice in exchange for happiness and having needs met then you got there by making a free choice. And if you’re happy, then it’s implicit that you would be satisfied with your choice to give up choice.

There’s an episode of Cosmos: Possible Worlds on Disney+That examines the animals that we assume are basically automatons and challenges some preconceived notions on that. I don’t recall the episode title but it’s interesting.
Your third paragraph sends me down a path I had not considered. You freely give away your will and therefore were free to make that choice. Would that mean that you are therefore responsible for everything else that you do as a result of that choice?

If I can turn on happiness, can I also turn on anger? Fear? Hatred? Could I do that with biological stimulation through the biotechnology enhancements you freely accepted into your body along with everything that means? I think we already see that we can use the algorithm to crank that up. For instance, pre-algorithm:

Do you think that would be the case now? And I would argue that our nation's trajectory on race has been in the positive direction slowly since the Civil War. I don't think young people today would necessarily believe that. What happened between the youth of my generation (I graduated high school in 1997, the year this poll was taken/released) and now? I would argue that the hacking Harari mentions happened.

if you are happy and your needs are met, why not? isn't that what everyone is seeking
Sweet, I was looking for someone to pick up the opposite side.

TMFT brings up something that I just philosophically blew past originally. This would not be sold as giving up free will as I sold it. It would be sold as a good thing.

I have the ability to provide you with an implant that will monitor your body for health issues. It will do away with the need for certain classes of medication and will end the mental health crisis as we know it. It will help to stop the spread of plagues by providing up to the minute information of what diseases are impacting a person, where they are, and provide the overseeing authority the ability to act quickly to contain the spread of contagion. It can be uploaded with your biometric data. You won't have to carry a wallet or credit cards because your bank data will be attached to you. It will decrease theft because scanners can be set up in stores to automatically deduct purchases from your account based on the information placed on the sales tags built into the packaging.

The benefits are boundless and you will understand that this technology can subvert your will by the application of biological interventions but the benefits and how much easier it makes life could make it something that is appealing.

Sweet, I was looking for someone to pick up the opposite side.

TMFT brings up something that I just philosophically blew past originally. This would not be sold as giving up free will as I sold it. It would be sold as a good thing.

I have the ability to provide you with an implant that will monitor your body for health issues. It will do away with the need for certain classes of medication and will end the mental health crisis as we know it. It will help to stop the spread of plagues by providing up to the minute information of what diseases are impacting a person, where they are, and provide the overseeing authority the ability to act quickly to contain the spread of contagion. It can be uploaded with your biometric data. You won't have to carry a wallet or credit cards because your bank data will be attached to you. It will decrease theft because scanners can be set up in stores to automatically deduct purchases from your account based on the information placed on the sales tags built into the packaging.

The benefits are boundless and you will understand that this technology can subvert your will by the application of biological interventions but the benefits and how much easier it makes life could make it something that is appealing.
It's an interesting conversation, Crazy. The there appear to be three basic arguments against it:

1) I would rather risk any happiness than lose free will. You might still attain some degree of happiness, but free will is worth the risk of unhapiness.

2) You might have some degree of happiness with all of your needs met, but you have the ability to have so much MORE happiness with free will.

3) I reject the premise of the question because I don't believe you can truly be happy without free will. I think we've seen variations of that here. I suppose there is also the variation - I reject the premise of the question because I don't believe you ever truly have free will.

Isn't that basically it? It feels like an evolution of the old road vs. destination question and you rarely see us Midwesterners with our Puritan work ethic advocating that the destination is the thing.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
It's an interesting conversation, Crazy. The there appear to be three basic arguments against it:

1) I would rather risk any happiness than lose free will. You might still attain some degree of happiness, but free will is worth the risk of unhapiness.

2) You might have some degree of happiness with all of your needs met, but you have the ability to have so much MORE happiness with free will.

3) I reject the premise of the question because I don't believe you can truly be happy without free will. I think we've seen variations of that here. I suppose there is also the variation - I reject the premise of the question because I don't believe you ever truly have free will.

Isn't that basically it? It feels like an evolution of the old road vs. destination question and you rarely see us Midwesterners with our Puritan work ethic advocating that the destination is the thing.
Good thoughts, could it also possibly be an age thing? I believe that the ages we have represented on this board are mainly Boomers down to older millenials, is it possible we view free will differently than younger generations will?

For instance, think of the concept of ownership and how that has changed on some things. We can go with something simplistic like music or movies. You used to have to either purchase a movie or music in the past and have a physical copy of that which could be traded with another if you wanted to circumvent purchasing or be lucky enough that what you liked would show up on TV or the radio to be recorded once tapes (cassette or otherwise) became more prevalent. Then along came the internet and mp3's and compressed video and the piracy that grew from that. So there was a switch to the idea that you would pay a monthly fee for access to items. You don't own the content anymore, you merely subscribe to it and your access to that content is dependent upon your monthly payment and the company you obtain that content from remains solvent. This is big in the gaming world as well were much of the content these days is purchased online through things like STEAM and the games remain functional only as long as the business maintains support of it. And now you have premium unlockable content being built into cars. You "own" it, but you only have access to all the features if we turn it on.

Younger people seem to be more accepting of these concepts because that is what they have known. Things like the iPhone were just released in 2007. My oldest child was born in 2008 and his will be the first generation to grow up with these helpful yet intrusive devices as an everyday reality of life. It is the TikTok and Instagram influencer generation. I think you can convince people that they have free will and you could convince of happiness if you could hack brain biology. It would be like a 24/7 dopamine hit without the drugs. You wouldn't even know you are unhappy about your choices because you could be hit with a rush everytime you made the "correct" choice. You physically would not know you are unhappy. It would be similar to the psychology built around continuing to get you to scroll content except with an added biological component.

You recycled that trash. Artificial dopamine hit. You chose the salad instead of the steak. Artificial dopamine hit. You obeyed that rule. Artifical dopamine hit. And that is just the simplistic programming/hacking that Harari mentions. If it gets more complex where you could literally have your will to resist suggestion broken down, you could be biologically "hypnotized" with a program.

And yes, I know that I am deep into dystopian/utopian Sci-Fi here, but these are the things being debated at this moment by people who believe that we may be on the cusp (over the next several decades) of having this type of ability.

I don’t believe happiness is an objective commodity. We all have periods of downers, but those are temporary for the mentally healthy. Those who are on a quest for an increasing level of happiness will never be fulfilled, no matter how much tech is applied.

Reactions: stollcpa and NPT
For instance, think of the concept of ownership and how that has changed on some things.
The concept of ownership has changed, but I don’t think in material terms. What has changed is owning what you see in a mirror. Youngsters are being taught that what they see is a product of external forces, not a product of what is inside of them.

Reactions: stollcpa
The concept of ownership has changed, but I don’t think in material terms. What has changed is owning what you see in a mirror. Youngsters are being taught that what they see is a product of external forces, not a product of what is inside of them.
Fair enough, but if you extrapolate that concept out, would that not play into the type of generation that would trade "free will" for something that is more akin to paternal protection and contentedness?

If I can turn on happiness
I think to a large extent that happiness is a choice. About all of us have a LOT to be thankful for yet a lot of people dwell on the negative parts of life. When a person thinks things are so bad they should go to Riley's hospital and see all the little kids.

Or like Sope posted yesterday about all the floods in Eastern KY where people lost everything they had while some of us sit here and complain a minor things.

Fair enough, but if you extrapolate that concept out, would that not play into the type of generation that would trade "free will" for something that is more akin to paternal protection and contentedness?
Yes, I agree. Those who believe their unhappiness is not their responsibility will seek happiness from things like pills, tech, or even government.

Like that, but not.

It would be an active choice to decide. Would be more like the character in that movie who ends up betraying them and wants back into the Matrix because the illusion was better for him than the reality.
One of my favorite lines from that movie

“I want to be someone important, like an actor”

Happiness is a choice.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Happiness is a choice.
Is it though? Something like clinical depression which could be viewed as the opposite of happiness is not something I thin people choose to be. I think you can make a conscious choice to be positive in life but emotions are harder to pin down in that manner.

For instance, a piece of music may move you. Did you choose for that or was there something below the surface that caused that? Did it evoke a pleasant memory? Or conversely an unpleasant one if it made you sad?

I think you can make a choice to face life from a positive or negative standpoint and still experience emotions that would not seem to fit into those categories. Emotions seem to be more instinctual to me.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Is it though? Something like clinical depression which could be viewed as the opposite of happiness is not something I thin people choose to be. I think you can make a conscious choice to be positive in life but emotions are harder to pin down in that manner.

For instance, a piece of music may move you. Did you choose for that or was there something below the surface that caused that? Did it evoke a pleasant memory? Or conversely an unpleasant one if it made you sad?

I think you can make a choice to face life from a positive or negative standpoint and still experience emotions that would not seem to fit into those categories. Emotions seem to be more instinctual to me.
Expectation vs Reality

Most unhappy people can’t differentiate and choose the wrong coping mechanisms.

Usually finding fault in someone other than themselves

Great question. I'm torn, for many reasons. Some random thoughts:

1. I reject the assumption that free will is even a thing. I mean, I think it's a thing. I believe free will is something I have. But I have to recognize that I might be wrong. People spend a lot of time and money figuring out how to convince people to do what they want them to do. American companies spend $300 billion per year on advertising, and they don't do it because it doesn't work.

2. In theory, I'd say that the welfare of society and people should be paramount, and we should be willing to consider whatever means lead to the best outcome by this measurement. For a long time, shortly before democracy started getting popular, the biggest thinkers of the West thought the best way to achieve this was with enlightened despotism. Strong rulers, accountable to no one, who nevertheless acted with the best interests of their subjects in mind. I don't think that experiment worked very well, but if it could be shown to work, should we reject it because it infringes on free will?

3. I'm skeptical that happiness without free will (or at least the perception of free will - see point #1) is even possible. I think the human mind might be hardwired to only be truly happy if it believes it has control over its own self.

I will mull on this some more, and see if I can't bring myself to actually answer the poll.

I don't know of anybody who seeks serfdom.

Aren't you basically arguing in favor of a Soviet or Communist Chinese system? I see an awful lot of anti-socialist/anti-communist comments on here to think that you've really thought this through. And it reminds me of a Mermelstein collection of essays we read in an IU econ class, one of which was entitled "Socialism from the Right", the premise of which is eerily similar to the theme of the question you posed above. The issue is control . . . giving that up for what appears to be someone else determining what I want and then hacking me to make sure that IS what I want sounds a bit determinative for me.

Aren't you basically arguing in favor of a Soviet or Communist Chinese system? I see an awful lot of anti-socialist/anti-communist comments on here to think that you've really thought this through. And it reminds me of a Mermelstein collection of essays we read in an IU econ class, one of which was entitled "Socialism from the Right", the premise of which is eerily similar to the theme of the question you posed above. The issue is control . . . giving that up for what appears to be someone else determining what I want and then hacking me to make sure that IS what I want sounds a bit determinative for me.
Of course nobody seeks feudal serfdom. But I see evidence of 21st century serfdom all over. By that I mean those who are not comfortable making their own decisions and choices but constantly seek direction from others. This came through loud and clear during the pandemic. "Follow the science" achieved the status of a biblical commandment not only by us rubes, but by POTUS (Biden) himself. Science, like many other considerations informs our decision-making, it doesn't compel it. Even without Covid, I saw clear trends in business, government, and personal lives where people avoided decision making and instead sought out the comfort of group-think and conformity. To compound the issue, many in positions of authority impose that authority through group think and conformity to willing "serfs".

Of course nobody seeks feudal serfdom. But I see evidence of 21st century serfdom all over. By that I mean those who are not comfortable making their own decisions and choices but constantly seek direction from others. This came through loud and clear during the pandemic. "Follow the science" achieved the status of a biblical commandment not only by us rubes, but by POTUS (Biden) himself. Science, like many other considerations informs our decision-making, it doesn't compel it. Even without Covid, I saw clear trends in business, government, and personal lives where people avoided decision making and instead sought out the comfort of group-think and conformity. To compound the issue, many in positions of authority impose that authority through group think and conformity to willing "serfs".
Says the guy who backs a party beholden to a candidate who wants to make serfs of all of us.

"Follow the science" might make us serfs, but it also might set us free. I'd take that chance over the forced lockstep that the GOP is peddling any day of the week.

BTW, when I read your commentary regarding "those who are not comfortable making their own decisions and choices but constantly seek direction from others", I found it an apt description of the folks who attended that candidate's rallies. Good luck with that.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Good thoughts, could it also possibly be an age thing? I believe that the ages we have represented on this board are mainly Boomers down to older millenials, is it possible we view free will differently than younger generations will?

For instance, think of the concept of ownership and how that has changed on some things. We can go with something simplistic like music or movies. You used to have to either purchase a movie or music in the past and have a physical copy of that which could be traded with another if you wanted to circumvent purchasing or be lucky enough that what you liked would show up on TV or the radio to be recorded once tapes (cassette or otherwise) became more prevalent. Then along came the internet and mp3's and compressed video and the piracy that grew from that. So there was a switch to the idea that you would pay a monthly fee for access to items. You don't own the content anymore, you merely subscribe to it and your access to that content is dependent upon your monthly payment and the company you obtain that content from remains solvent. This is big in the gaming world as well were much of the content these days is purchased online through things like STEAM and the games remain functional only as long as the business maintains support of it. And now you have premium unlockable content being built into cars. You "own" it, but you only have access to all the features if we turn it on.

Younger people seem to be more accepting of these concepts because that is what they have known. Things like the iPhone were just released in 2007. My oldest child was born in 2008 and his will be the first generation to grow up with these helpful yet intrusive devices as an everyday reality of life. It is the TikTok and Instagram influencer generation. I think you can convince people that they have free will and you could convince of happiness if you could hack brain biology. It would be like a 24/7 dopamine hit without the drugs. You wouldn't even know you are unhappy about your choices because you could be hit with a rush everytime you made the "correct" choice. You physically would not know you are unhappy. It would be similar to the psychology built around continuing to get you to scroll content except with an added biological component.

You recycled that trash. Artificial dopamine hit. You chose the salad instead of the steak. Artificial dopamine hit. You obeyed that rule. Artifical dopamine hit. And that is just the simplistic programming/hacking that Harari mentions. If it gets more complex where you could literally have your will to resist suggestion broken down, you could be biologically "hypnotized" with a program.

And yes, I know that I am deep into dystopian/utopian Sci-Fi here, but these are the things being debated at this moment by people who believe that we may be on the cusp (over the next several decades) of having this type of ability.
I think I have a much different sense of generational differences than you do, Crazy. For example, I find them more broadly to be road people than destination ones in comparison with older generations. I'm extremely bullish about our future because of what I see in younger generations.

I asked my son about your question in regard to perceptions on racial bias. He said that he believed (and felt most of his friends would believe) that society has improved in regard to racism. He just felt that his generation is less tolerant of it than previous ones. Things past generations might have not said anything about, they aren't interested in letting slide.

Last edited:

I agree with you. I don't think it would be worth giving up free will or some semblance of "freedom" that we label in that manner, but I could see that becoming an option down the road.

There were not many people taking the opposite side so I did some Devil's Advocate to keep the discussion moving. Goat seemed to possibly be taking the opposite position so it may be interesting to hear his thoughts.

Reactions: Sope Creek
I think I have a much different sense of generational differences than you do, Crazy. For example, I find them more broadly to be road people than destination ones in comparison with older generations. I'm extremely bullish about our future because of what I see in younger generations.

I asked my son about your question in regard to perceptions on racial bias. He said that he believed (and felt most of his friends would believe) that society has improved in regard to racism. He just felt that his generation is less tolerant of it than previous ones. Things past generations might have not said anything about, they aren't interested in letting slide.
We are putting our value judgment on the question of free will though. Same as with ownership type of society. Not all of us feel this way obviously but how accepting are you of the idea of premium content locked behind a pay wall on your car that you have to subscribe to?

With your son, it would be interesting to ask his generation of black youth the same question. We thought racial things were getting better when I was young too.

Your post brings up another topic that I think is worthy of discussion but I don't want to derail this one.

I agree with you. I don't think it would be worth giving up free will or some semblance of "freedom" that we label in that manner, but I could see that becoming an option down the road.

There were not many people taking the opposite side so I did some Devil's Advocate to keep the discussion moving. Goat seemed to possibly be taking the opposite position so it may be interesting to hear his thoughts.
I'm just recognizing that it's a serious question. Let's say you can have, on the one hand, freedom plus X standard of living, or despotism plus X+1 standard of living. What reason is there to pick option one? Is freedom actually worth anything? Or is freedom only a means to an end, because we've figured out that freedom is the best way to maximize that X standard of living? If it's the latter, then we are forced to consider X+1 if the opportunity arises.

One of my favorite Asimov stories is "The Evitable Conflict." In it, the (human - mostly, but that's another thing) administrators of the world government are trying to figure out why the machines who make all the decisions are apparently making small mistakes. It is discovered that the machines aren't making mistakes at all, but rather sabotaging various anti-machine actors because getting rid of them would, in the long run, best further the success of humanity. I.e., human society is best served by being totally subjugated to the designs of the machines, but only in a way that they are not aware the machines truly have that much power.

If such a situation were actually possible, what would we say? Would we turn down world peace, prosperity, and abundance merely because it came with the shackles of giving up our decision-making power?

I suspect we would, but I think it's worth asking whether or not that would be a smart decision.

Reactions: hoosboot
Says the guy who backs a party beholden to a candidate who wants to make serfs of all of us.
If there is a point here, I missed it. The most one can say about this is that its a piss poor ad hominem.

"Follow the science" might make us serfs, but it also might set us free. I'd take that chance over the forced lockstep that the GOP is peddling any day of the week.
Who gets to decide this in your world?

BTW, when I read your commentary regarding "those who are not comfortable making their own decisions and choices but constantly seek direction from others", I found it an apt description of the folks who attended that candidate's rallies. Good luck with that.
So what? The point is that surrendering personal decision-making to an expert, public official, candidate, or to group think is 21st century serfdom.

Reactions: stollcpa
I'm just recognizing that it's a serious question. Let's say you can have, on the one hand, freedom plus X standard of living, or despotism plus X+1 standard of living. What reason is there to pick option one? Is freedom actually worth anything? Or is freedom only a means to an end, because we've figured out that freedom is the best way to maximize that X standard of living? If it's the latter, then we are forced to consider X+1 if the opportunity arises.

One of my favorite Asimov stories is "The Evitable Conflict." In it, the (human - mostly, but that's another thing) administrators of the world government are trying to figure out why the machines who make all the decisions are apparently making small mistakes. It is discovered that the machines aren't making mistakes at all, but rather sabotaging various anti-machine actors because getting rid of them would, in the long run, best further the success of humanity. I.e., human society is best served by being totally subjugated to the designs of the machines, but only in a way that they are not aware the machines truly have that much power.

If such a situation were actually possible, what would we say? Would we turn down world peace, prosperity, and abundance merely because it came with the shackles of giving up our decision-making power?

I suspect we would, but I think it's worth asking whether or not that would be a smart decision.
Good thoughts and you represent the other side of the argument I was looking for.

Rewatch 'The Matrix'.

Reactions: Lucy01
My dog turns 13 today, so he'll get a frozen peanut butter treat. He'll be perfectly content the rest of the day. And he's had a wonderfully happy life. I know exactly what to say or do to make him happy.

But I don't want to change places with my dog. I don't see happiness as my greatest life goal. I'll take it, but I'd like to feel I stood for something and left the world a better place.

Reactions: UncleMark
I'd like to feel I stood for something and left the world a better place.
1) would that make you happy?
2) do you ever make people unhappy?
3) would making people unhappy make you unhappy?
4) if you were perpetually happy would it imply that you only created net happiness in the world?

If there is a point here, I missed it. The most one can say about this is that its a piss poor ad hominem.
I'll give you credit . . . you're persistently consistent on this. Never mind that you make arguments that you're also guilty of . . . you've got your patented Teflon response handy. But whatever . . . .
Who gets to decide this in your world?
Not you . . . or is that a piss poor ad hominem too?
So what? The point is that surrendering personal decision-making to an expert, public official, candidate, or to group think is 21st century serfdom.
So what? You'd like to make that the issue because it suits your anti-Biden agenda. But the real issue is whether following the science wherever it leads us or marching in the GOP's lockstep is the path to freedom. Personally, I prefer to follow the science . . . the GOP lockstep sounds to much like Arbeit macht frei to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT