ADVERTISEMENT

Is Anthony Tucker the best OC candidate on staff?

If you mean I try I am not completely negative all the timed such as you. Then I guess you are right.
Being an optimist is one thing and an apologist is another. Those of us that saw Allen’s shortcomings early on and those that see them now want him out. If the majority accepts Allen’s less than mediocre performance the AD might not see a reason to replace him.
Allen is only part of the problem but we have to start somewhere to turn the ship around and I’m loosing patience after 50+ years of this shi* show.

Reactions: Jackskip23
Being an optimist is one thing and an apologist is another. Those of us that saw Allen’s shortcomings early on and those that see them now want him out. If the majority accepts Allen’s less than mediocre performance the AD might not see a reason to replace him.
Allen is only part of the problem but we have to start somewhere to turn the ship around and I’m loosing patience after 50+ years of this shi* show.
I may be too much of an optimist for sure. An apologist possibly. Loyalist for sure also. What I don't do is discount the success they had in 2 of the most successful seasons in IU history. A tight end not going after an onside kick and allowing Tennessee to recover it is not on the coaches. Then the following year getting beat by Ole Miss with your starting quarterback out and the backup playing injured is not really coaches fault. Yes you have failed on your last 2 offensive coordinators and you stuck with an ineffective o line coach for too long. You also missed on a defensive coordinator, possibly. Who knows what may have happened if he stuck around more than one season and brought his guys and fully implemented his scheme. For sure all of this is on Allen and yes his seat should be very warm. I may not have been a fan for 50 years but I have been fan since the Lee Corso years and loved waking up Sunday mornings and watching his coaching shows on Chanel 4. But I am willing to see how this year plays out and giving him next year with one more shot at OC and oline coach and a QB with a year of experience on the field. If there is no change then I will be right there saying it is time to move on.

I may be too much of an optimist for sure. An apologist possibly. Loyalist for sure also. What I don't do is discount the success they had in 2 of the most successful seasons in IU history. A tight end not going after an onside kick and allowing Tennessee to recover it is not on the coaches. Then the following year getting beat by Ole Miss with your starting quarterback out and the backup playing injured is not really coaches fault. Yes you have failed on your last 2 offensive coordinators and you stuck with an ineffective o line coach for too long. You also missed on a defensive coordinator, possibly. Who knows what may have happened if he stuck around more than one season and brought his guys and fully implemented his scheme. For sure all of this is on Allen and yes his seat should be very warm. I may not have been a fan for 50 years but I have been fan since the Lee Corso years and loved waking up Sunday mornings and watching his coaching shows on Chanel 4. But I am willing to see how this year plays out and giving him next year with one more shot at OC and oline coach and a QB with a year of experience on the field. If there is no change then I will be right there saying it is time to move on.
While I agree with most of what you say, I’ll dispute the Tenn. tight end claim. I haven’t coached fb at any level and I was screaming onside kick prior to that play, absolutely no reason to not have the hands team in for that kickoff.
I can’t think of one game we’ve won or lost that I could say we won because Allen out coached the opponent. On the other hand I think he gets out coached repeatedly whether it be preparation or in game decisions.

Last edited:
While I agree with most of what you say, I’ll dispute the Tenn. tight end claim. I haven’t coached fb at any level and I was screaming onside kick prior to that play, absolutely no reason to not have the hands team in for that kickoff.
I can’t think of one game we’ve won or lost that I could say we won because Allen out coached the opponent. On the other hand I think he gets out coached repeatedly whether it be preparation or in game decisions.
Hendershot was near the onside kick and did not go after it. I did not see it game night but watching later on highlights it is evident. As far as Allen stealing a win from people, You could say the PSU and Michigan the covid year also Wisconsin. They almost got OSU with Penix maybe the same year but Penix threw a pick 6 that turned out to be the difference. But yes still waiting on that win over Ohio State.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Hendershot was near the onside kick and did not go after it. I did not see it game night but watching later on highlights it is evident. As far as Allen stealing a win from people, You could say the PSU and Michigan the covid year also Wisconsin. They almost got OSU with Penix maybe the same year but Penix threw a pick 6 that turned out to be the difference. But yes still waiting on that win over Ohio State.
My point re the onside kick is that Allen didn’t prepare the st players or instruct the st coach to be ready and have the proper players on the field. So one player not going after the ball when there should have been 11 players going after it is more about poor coaching and less about 1 player.

Reactions: midwolfe
My point re the onside kick is that Allen didn’t prepare the st players or instruct the st coach to be ready and have the proper players on the field. So one player not going after the ball when there should have been 11 players going after it is more about poor coaching and less about 1 player.
A tight end with really good hands and not a first year in football player should have known to go after the ball and more than capable to have made that play.

A tight end with really good hands and not a first year in football player should have known to go after the ball and more than capable to have made that play.
I’m amazed that a football coach thinks a team shouldn’t be alerted to the possibility of an onside kick and have the hands team in. Wouldn’t it be better if you prepared all 11 players to be ready? If your philosophy is to assume young men are thinking the same as you then you’re 180 degrees from the coaches I played for.
Just because a tight end didn’t go for the ball doesn’t alter the fact that Allen wasn’t ready and didn’t get the team ready for the kick.

I’m amazed that a football coach thinks a team shouldn’t be alerted to the possibility of an onside kick and have the hands team in. Wouldn’t it be better if you prepared all 11 players to be ready? If your philosophy is to assume young men are thinking the same as you then you’re 180 degrees from the coaches I played for.
Just because a tight end didn’t go for the ball doesn’t alter the fact that Allen wasn’t ready and didn’t get the team ready for the kick.
I am not sure what I said that would make you think that we would not have alerted the kids to an onside kick. How do you know the staff did not alert the team that an onside kick was possible. I don't remember the exact situation but I believe that Tennessee had timeouts remaining and there was enough time that it was not 100% going to be an onside kick. I would not have been in the 4-2-2-2-1 Alignment they used but I would not have been in afull out Hands Team either and run the risk of being pinned deep. Especially after all the 3 and outs we had . However hindsight now it is easy to say would we should have been full hands. Next although we were in regular formation, there would not have been a reason to have replaced Hendershot. Finally just because the kids did not react perfectly to the situation does not mean they were not alerted. Hell literally last night we were in practice and we just told our right tackle, you do not have to get a big block just don't allow your guy to cross your face. What do you think happened? The kid beat him inside and made the play. Yes it is high school kid not a college kid . Still sometimes the situation is too big for them to handle. I am not just going to assume they were not alerted to the possibility. But if you choose to that is your right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT