ADVERTISEMENT

Updated Offensive Coordinator Candidates

If Seth Litrell becomes available, get him. If not, see if Frye is interested. Get him.
I'd be comfortable with either but they'd both have to bring an OL coach with them who can recruit... ((although I watched a little bit of a UCLA game recently and was mightily underwhelmed by their Offense))...

Updated List. I eliminated name that I don't think are realistic do to retention or salary limitations.

Eliminated Names: Seth Litrell, Phillip Montgomery, Justin Fuentes, Matt Luke, Sterlin Gilbert.

1. Tim Cramsey - Offensive Coordinator at Marshall coming off excellent year. Has been retained across two coaches at Marshall which is unusual. He's been a productive and sometimes record breaking offensive coordinator at five different schools. Marshall's offense gets better with every year he is there. This year it averaged 35 pts a game with a balanced run pass attack. Has had two years where his teams scored over 40 points a game at prior stops. Has a balanced run and pass offense. He's also a quarterbacks coach. Unlike other targets this one is affordable and is probably the most attainable under the radar type hire the Hoosiers could make.

2. Zack Kittley - Western Kentucky OC - has broken records with Western Kentucky's offense after doing the same as a head coach of Houston Baptist. Not much run game to speak of but his offense scored 41 points a game this year and was third in yards per play. He would be a short term answer as he's a likely head coach candidate. IU would have to be willing to go with an air raid spread which has not delivered as many wins as run game spreads.

3. Frank Ponce - App State Offensive Coordinator - First year offensive coordinator did a great job at App State. Highly regarded QB coach. Offense averaged 450 yards and 36 pts a game.

4. Willy Korn - OC at Coastal Carolina - Having an awful lot of success at Coastal Carolina. Question is whether the head coach who is heavily involved with the offense is the real genius here. Top OC's under offensive minded coaches tend to do well, but it's never a sure thing when the head coach is also heavily involved in the offense.

5. Barry Lunney Jr. Lunney has had two very strong years at OC at UTSA. Has the strangest resume in that he was a college offensive coordinator then became a high school offensive coordinator for eight years, then a college position coach then a college OC. He is highly regarded and was Arkansas's head coach for two games. Offense averaged 6 yards a play, 440 a game with 38 pts a game.

6. Eric Eidsness - Northern Illinois Keep an eye on this name. This guy is a serious up and comer who has done wonders at Northern Illinois. His offense has been very balanced. Was OC for six years at South Dakota State and oversaw record breaking offenses during this period. Has a very balanced spread attack. He coaches under a coach who was never an OC so I think Eidsness truly coordinates this offense unlike other candidates who are "right hand man" type coaches.

7. Ryan Grubb OC Fresno State - If you can't get Kalen Deboer maybe you get his protege. Grubb would be a strong candidate for three reasons. The first is that he's a long time line coach and if you hired the wrong line coach he's going to know how to step in and fix that. His teams allowed less than a sack a game for the past three seasons. He's also now the QB coach so he's got a very unusual background. And of course he coaches with Deboer so our players will know both his offense and his terminology. He coached two really good offensive coaches. Only question is whether he's a right hand man or the leader of the offense. Deboer is a front runner at Washington which probably rules Grubb out.

8. Anthony Tucker - Utah State OC. Former OC for Josh Heupel at UCF who has vastly improved Utah State's offense in his first year on the job. Pass heavy offense. Offense went from 15pts a game in the year before he got there to 32 a game this year. Had very balanced offenses at UCF. An ex running backs coach who coordinated the passing game at UCF.

10. Mike Thiessen OC Air Force. An unconventional pick for a school that might need an unconventional approach. Been an OC for a long time. Offenses are run heavy option hybrid that eat up clock and protect the defense. Has lead to an awful lot of wins.

11. . Sam Gregg - Liberty Offensive Line Coach - Former Offensive Coordinator at West Georgia for six years. Coached under a great offensive mind at Liberty and has a decade of former OC experience. Might be a strong candidate because of his background as both a coordinator and a line coach. Might kill two birds with one stone or hedge against another bad line coach hire.

12. Robert Weiner

13. Andrew Breiner
- FIU - Offense has been productive for FIU on a terrible team. Joe Moorhead's former offensive coordinator at Mississipi State. An up and comer type coach. His current team is pass heavy. Not very balanced. Does not have the experience of some of the other candidates, but he's highly regarded. He had a solid year on a team that was falling apart. Admirable job.

14. Justin Frye - UCLA Offensive Coordinator Former IU player. Unlikely to leave an OC job at UCLA. Ranked lower because he's an unlikely candidate.

15. Brian Hartline - Ohio State Receivers Coach - Elite Elite recruiter. Is coaching under one of the best offensive minds in the country. Downside is no offensive coordinator experience. Would certainly fix our receivers though. He's viewed as a future coaching star and should at least be interviewed.
I love reading through this list! I just hope we can hit a home run like Deboer a few years ago. I like the idea of getting an up and comer like him. I also wonder if a Cam Cameron would also be on the potential list. He's had a lot more success than most. Maybe he has a good connection to Dolson and wouldn't break the bank. Then they could spend more on replacing Hiller and possibly Wellman.

Updated List. I eliminated name that I don't think are realistic do to retention or salary limitations.

Eliminated Names: Seth Litrell, Phillip Montgomery, Justin Fuentes, Matt Luke, Sterlin Gilbert.

1. Tim Cramsey - Offensive Coordinator at Marshall coming off excellent year. Has been retained across two coaches at Marshall which is unusual. He's been a productive and sometimes record breaking offensive coordinator at five different schools. Marshall's offense gets better with every year he is there. This year it averaged 35 pts a game with a balanced run pass attack. Has had two years where his teams scored over 40 points a game at prior stops. Has a balanced run and pass offense. He's also a quarterbacks coach. Unlike other targets this one is affordable and is probably the most attainable under the radar type hire the Hoosiers could make.

2. Zack Kittley - Western Kentucky OC - has broken records with Western Kentucky's offense after doing the same as a head coach of Houston Baptist. Not much run game to speak of but his offense scored 41 points a game this year and was third in yards per play. He would be a short term answer as he's a likely head coach candidate. IU would have to be willing to go with an air raid spread which has not delivered as many wins as run game spreads.

3. Frank Ponce - App State Offensive Coordinator - First year offensive coordinator did a great job at App State. Highly regarded QB coach. Offense averaged 450 yards and 36 pts a game.

4. Willy Korn - OC at Coastal Carolina - Having an awful lot of success at Coastal Carolina. Question is whether the head coach who is heavily involved with the offense is the real genius here. Top OC's under offensive minded coaches tend to do well, but it's never a sure thing when the head coach is also heavily involved in the offense.

5. Barry Lunney Jr. Lunney has had two very strong years at OC at UTSA. Has the strangest resume in that he was a college offensive coordinator then became a high school offensive coordinator for eight years, then a college position coach then a college OC. He is highly regarded and was Arkansas's head coach for two games. Offense averaged 6 yards a play, 440 a game with 38 pts a game.

6. Eric Eidsness - Northern Illinois Keep an eye on this name. This guy is a serious up and comer who has done wonders at Northern Illinois. His offense has been very balanced. Was OC for six years at South Dakota State and oversaw record breaking offenses during this period. Has a very balanced spread attack. He coaches under a coach who was never an OC so I think Eidsness truly coordinates this offense unlike other candidates who are "right hand man" type coaches.

7. Ryan Grubb OC Fresno State - If you can't get Kalen Deboer maybe you get his protege. Grubb would be a strong candidate for three reasons. The first is that he's a long time line coach and if you hired the wrong line coach he's going to know how to step in and fix that. His teams allowed less than a sack a game for the past three seasons. He's also now the QB coach so he's got a very unusual background. And of course he coaches with Deboer so our players will know both his offense and his terminology. He coached two really good offensive coaches. Only question is whether he's a right hand man or the leader of the offense. Deboer is a front runner at Washington which probably rules Grubb out.

8. Anthony Tucker - Utah State OC. Former OC for Josh Heupel at UCF who has vastly improved Utah State's offense in his first year on the job. Pass heavy offense. Offense went from 15pts a game in the year before he got there to 32 a game this year. Had very balanced offenses at UCF. An ex running backs coach who coordinated the passing game at UCF.

10. Mike Thiessen OC Air Force. An unconventional pick for a school that might need an unconventional approach. Been an OC for a long time. Offenses are run heavy option hybrid that eat up clock and protect the defense. Has lead to an awful lot of wins.

11. . Sam Gregg - Liberty Offensive Line Coach - Former Offensive Coordinator at West Georgia for six years. Coached under a great offensive mind at Liberty and has a decade of former OC experience. Might be a strong candidate because of his background as both a coordinator and a line coach. Might kill two birds with one stone or hedge against another bad line coach hire.

12. Robert Weiner

13. Andrew Breiner
- FIU - Offense has been productive for FIU on a terrible team. Joe Moorhead's former offensive coordinator at Mississipi State. An up and comer type coach. His current team is pass heavy. Not very balanced. Does not have the experience of some of the other candidates, but he's highly regarded. He had a solid year on a team that was falling apart. Admirable job.

14. Justin Frye - UCLA Offensive Coordinator Former IU player. Unlikely to leave an OC job at UCLA. Ranked lower because he's an unlikely candidate.

15. Brian Hartline - Ohio State Receivers Coach - Elite Elite recruiter. Is coaching under one of the best offensive minds in the country. Downside is no offensive coordinator experience. Would certainly fix our receivers though. He's viewed as a future coaching star and should at least be interviewed.
Great work here thanks!

Rod Carey just came available (fired as HC of Temple). Another alum with OL and OL coach background as well. All are a plus in my book.

Reactions: Irregulars
Justin Frye is making 700k at UCLA. IU could easily match that ( I think they paid DeBoer more than that even). At the same salary, Frye would be much better off financially making that in Bloomington, IN than in SoCal. But I have no idea if there is any interest on the part of either party. Frye could also handle the OL along with his coordinator duties.
Being offensive line coach and offensive coordinator is very difficult. Coaching the o line and watching the entire offense is tough. Not impossible but I would try to stay away from that. You would need to hire an o line coach anyway.

These are all nice name guys with good resumes.

But... which one of them fit? What style offense will they bring? Are we going to start over on personnel or are we going to pick up where we left off (like Deboer tailored his system to fit our current personnel.)

These are all nice name guys with good resumes.

But... which one of them fit? What style offense will they bring? Are we going to start over on personnel or are we going to pick up where we left off (like Deboer tailored his system to fit our current personnel.)
That is what good coaches do.

Being offensive line coach and offensive coordinator is very difficult. Coaching the o line and watching the entire offense is tough. Not impossible but I would try to stay away from that. You would need to hire an o line coach anyway.
Frye is not the answer. I think he sounds like a great coach with great upside but we need a proven play caller

Reactions: kmathum
I suspect that if a guy with an OL background is hired he won’t be coaching the entire OL. It could end up with Hiller coaching Gs and Cs, new guy coaching Ts, TEs and being OC, and Wright moving to QBs.

Not an optimal arrangement IMO, but it’s one I could envision if an OL guy is hired AND Hiller is retained. And that could happen, no matter how much it might frustrate folks.

I suspect that if a guy with an OL background is hired he won’t be coaching the entire OL. It could end up with Hiller coaching Gs and Cs, new guy coaching Ts, TEs and being OC, and Wright moving to QBs.

Not an optimal arrangement IMO, but it’s one I could envision if an OL guy is hired AND Hiller is retained. And that could happen, no matter how much it might frustrate folks.
Good luck finding a good OC if they are stuck with Hiller at OL. I honestly don't see what Allen sees in him if he is stuck on keeping him..

Good luck finding a good OC if they are stuck with Hiller at OL. I honestly don't see what Allen sees in him if he is stuck on keeping him..
I think Allen 1) may have to look for someone who is willing to work for the same money that Sheridan was making, which 2) makes it more likely IMO that it would either be a fired coach without a job or someone from a lower level (G5, FCS, etc)

I like WKU OC. He’s been a smaller college HC and like DeBoer, he’s been successful at each stop. Hire winners, we’ll figure out the rest.
I think its safe to assume Allen is not looking to run an offense that throws the ball 60 times a game while running almost never. Regardless, Kittley's rumoured to be a leading candidate for the OC position at Texas Tech where his father has been coaching track for decades.

I think its safe to assume Allen is not looking to run an offense that throws the ball 60 times a game while running almost never. Regardless, Kittley's rumoured to be a leading candidate for the OC position at Texas Tech where his father has been coaching track for decades.
We don't have the athletes needed for a Kittley offense. I'm thinking more west coast style of offense.

12. Robert Weiner

13. Andrew Breiner

We need an SEC hiring attitude here, can the candidate recruit?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT