ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Offers Luka Garza

DanL53

Recruit
Sep 12, 2013
I came over to read what you guys had to say about him. Don't see anything so I'd thought I'd start a thread.

Garza's getting plenty of offers. Iowa has been chasing him for a long time now, but welcome to the race.

I came over to read what you guys had to say about him. Don't see anything so I'd thought I'd start a thread.

Garza's getting plenty of offers. Iowa has been chasing him for a long time now, but welcome to the race.
Is he related to Luka Brazzi?

It seems like his recruiting is really heating up. I've seen him several times and honestly think he is overrated. He can shoot it, but I don't like his foot speed or lack of inside game.

I honestly hope we don't take this kid. We are in for Jackson, Richards, and Bamba. Plus we don't have a ton of scholarships available.
Big guy that can shoot, and has limited post play. Seems like his recruitment is taking off. I saw one service has him at a four star. Be interesting to see if other big time programs offer him. Wouldn't mind if we picked him up. But I agree there is some legit talent that us on their list.

Reactions: hoosierstateII
I'm not exactly a talent scout by any stretch of the imagination, but he appeared extremely slow in the few videos I saw. I didn't see much of an inside game either.

Big guy that can shoot, and has limited post play. Seems like his recruitment is taking off. I saw one service has him at a four star. Be interesting to see if other big time programs offer him. Wouldn't mind if we picked him up. But I agree there is some legit talent that us on their list.
I'm not saying he isn't a take eventually but I dont think you take him if we are still in play with the guys I mentioned.

Reactions: Shirtsandskins
I just hope the kid doesn't get stuck to the scorer's table with a darned knife stuck through his hand.

That's the first time I've read that one. :)

This is not the player you are looking for, Iowa can have him.

Really like this offer if he is commited to being a hoosier for four years. We need four year players that become real contributers by their junior years.

Really like this offer if he is commited to being a hoosier for four years. We need four year players that become real contributers by their junior years.

I see this a lot.....

Serious question....during Crean's time at IU, what players have sat the bench and then "became contributors thier junior year"?

Seems like we know when they are freshmen.... ?

Wisconsin sure seems to do this a lot.

I see this a lot.....

Serious question....during Crean's time at IU, what players have sat the bench and then "became contributors thier junior year"?

Seems like we know when they are freshmen.... ?

Wisconsin sure seems to do this a lot.
I can't think of anyone who has survived being Creaned . . .

Reactions: Shirtsandskins
Robert Johnson Hartman Morgan will all be four year players. I even think OG could be one these players. Didnt say he wouldnt contribute at all his first couple years. Actually Yogi became one of those players. Maybe I worded it wrong.

Robert Johnson Hartman Morgan will all be four year players. I even think OG could be one these players. Didnt say he wouldnt contribute at all his first couple years. Actually Yogi became one of those players. Maybe I worded it wrong.

That's not the same thing I am asking...

Johnson started his Frshman year.

Hartman and Morgan did or will play heavy minuets thier sophomore year....hell....Morgan played a ton his freshman year.

What player has played very little Frshman and Sophmore years and then became a contributor his junior and senior years?

For all the credit Crean gets for developing players, very rarely does a player start contributing when they are upper classmen after being "developed". And people will say VO...but it feels like there are Prillers for every VO.

By contrast, Wisconsin is the opposite.

We haven't had a good history of developing bigs...our bigs we have had success with come in as first round picks.

We haven't had a good history of developing bigs...our bigs we have had success with come in as first round picks.
It doesn't matter that they came in as first round picks. It only matters on message boards. Recruits want to see coaches get them to the NBA. That's what Crean has done. Now, if you want to point to Bo Ryan and what he did with Frank Kaminsky as true development, fine, I'm on board. But in today's day and age, Cal gets tons of praise for "developing" players and getting them to the NBA. Hell, basically all of his kids come in as potential first rounders.

It doesn't matter that they came in as first round picks. It only matters on message boards. Recruits want to see coaches get them to the NBA. That's what Crean has done. Now, if you want to point to Bo Ryan and what he did with Frank Kaminsky as true development, fine, I'm on board. But in today's day and age, Cal gets tons of praise for "developing" players and getting them to the NBA. Hell, basically all of his kids come in as potential first rounders.
I think your missing what I'm saying. Any big we have landed that has been good at IU have been highly rated and pro prospects from the get go. The projects we have recruited have never developed and turned into players.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
I think your missing what I'm saying. Any big we have landed that has been good at IU have been highly rated and pro prospects from the get go. The projects we have recruited have never developed and turned into players.
Ah. I still don't think it's a black and white as that. I think Zeller got better when he was here. I think Bryant got better through the season and I expect him to get better this coming year. I think both of those guys "developed" during their time here. Yes, you're correct about players like Bawa or Perea or whomever. But we've developed our bigs. Just because they come in highly ranked and projected as first rounders, doesn't mean they can't develop. So like I said, I don't think it's as black and white as you're (I think) making it out to be.

Ah. I still don't think it's a black and white as that. I think Zeller got better when he was here. I think Bryant got better through the season and I expect him to get better this coming year. I think both of those guys "developed" during their time here. Yes, you're correct about players like Bawa or Perea or whomever. But we've developed our bigs. Just because they come in highly ranked and projected as first rounders, doesn't mean they can't develop. So like I said, I don't think it's as black and white as you're (I think) making it out to be.
What I'm saying is the lower ranked project bugs we have recruited haven't developed. Jurkin, Bawa, April, Priller, Jobe.

What I'm saying is the lower ranked project bugs we have recruited haven't developed. Jurkin, Bawa, April, Priller, Jobe.
I gotcha. I just thought your comment was misleading. From an overall perspective, I think recruits would view us favorably in terms of developing bigs. The first rounders obviously are more visible than guys like Bawa. But I do agree the project bigs haven't really developed much.

I gotcha. I just thought your comment was misleading. From an overall perspective, I think recruits would view us favorably in terms of developing bigs. The first rounders obviously are more visible than guys like Bawa. But I do agree the project bigs haven't really developed much.
Right...all our bigs that were good were either 5 stars or borderline 5 stars. Seller, vonleh, Bryant and hopefully Davis. Hanner being the only bust

For every April and Priller and Jerkin who don't develop, there are Zellers, Bryants, and Vonlehs who do. It's a mixed bag.

For every April and Priller and Jerkin who don't develop, there are Zellers, Bryants, and Vonlehs who do. It's a mixed bag.
I think you are missing the point entirely. In creans tenure of the big man hasn't been a top 75 level talent he hasn't panned out. Notice the guys you listed who do pan out.
Zoellers and vonleh 5 stars
Bryant. One spot away from a 5 star
And hopefully Davis who was number 35.

Jurkin, April, Bawa, Priller were all projects and didn't pan out. Also Hanner was a top 75 big who didn't pan out.

I think you are missing the point entirely. In creans tenure of the big man hasn't been a top 75 level talent he hasn't panned out. Notice the guys you listed who do pan out.
Zoellers and vonleh 5 stars
Bryant. One spot away from a 5 star
And hopefully Davis who was number 35.

Jurkin, April, Bawa, Priller were all projects and didn't pan out. Also Hanner was a top 75 big who didn't pan out.
Serious questions how many projects in the country actually develop to become NBA players. I know Kaminski came out of no where but he was close to a top 100 player. I know we shouldn't have ever offered Jurkin or Bawa but how many coaches could have develop those guys into being even a serviceable player.

Serious questions how many projects in the country actually develop to become NBA players. I know Kaminski came out of no where but he was close to a top 100 player. I know we shouldn't have ever offered Jurkin or Bawa but how many coaches could have develop those guys into being even a serviceable player.
I think that's kinda the point, if it's that hard to develop them...they shouldn't be here in the first place

Reactions: SNU0821
Why does it have to be into NBA players why can't it be just serviceable starters? I see bigs all the time that weren't highly recruited that are solid collge players. NW usually has one, butler the same thing. Point being is we are feast or famine in recruiting bigs. It's been either stud or not even a role player.

Reactions: HOOSIERPAPA
Do you really think prospects are worried about how Priller, Bawa and Jerkin didn't improve? No. They're almost certainly more interested in the success stories of Zeller, Bryant, and Vonleh. Each coach has players that don't pan out. It's overblown on message boards only.

Reactions: Squarepants
Do you really think prospects are worried about how Priller, Bawa and Jerkin didn't improve? No. They're almost certainly more interested in the success stories of Zeller, Bryant, and Vonleh. Each coach has players that don't pan out. It's overblown on message boards only.
What this just shows is that we are either studs or duds. When we don't land an elite caliber big(top35) they haven't even been serviceable backups.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT