ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana needs to pass on Tommy Stevens

Depth is depth. I would worry about what would happen if he won the job while the others were healthy.

We have 3 guys on the roster right now that are more talented than Stevens.
It was a terrible position for Stevens in college. They should have done what the Patriots did with Julian Edelman: take an athletic kid and put him as a WR from day 1 and let him do things in space.
He didn’t have the arm to have an impact at that position in college. He was more of a scrambler in high school. Poorly utilized in college.
He’ll find a nice MAC or D-II school to finish things out.

this isn't so much about Stevens as it is about how things have gone for the state's top high school qb's that chose to go elsewhere.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indiana-football-the-hoosiers-need-to-pass-on-tommy-stevens/
? I have zero suspicion that they won't pass on him. For a variety of reasons, no friggin' thank you. You had your chance, Benedict. I'm not bitter, not at all. That was a very damaging decommitment at the time. We REALLY needed him in that class, & he was the heart & soul of it, both on & off the field, & at 1st sniff from an IN DIVISION blue blood, he bolts. Uh-uh, I don't think so..... Still not bitter!

Last edited:
? I have zero suspicion that they won't pass on him. For a variety of reasons, no friggin' thank you. You had your chance, Benedict. I'm not bitter, not at all. That was a very damaging decommitment at the time. We REALLY needed him in that class, & he was the heart & soul of it, both on & off the field, & at 1st sniff from an IN DIVISION blue blood, he bolts. Uh-uh, I don't think so..... Still not bitter!

He wasn’t that great in high school.
We don’t have a roster spot for the guy, honestly. He’d be riding the pine here or maybe filing in at slot WR.

He wasn’t that great in high school.
We don’t have a roster spot for the guy, honestly. He’d be riding the pine here or maybe filing in at slot WR.
All of that may be true, & in reality it probably wasn't as much of a loss as we thought at the time, but it's the principle, to me. & there's NO WAY he could crack our depth chart at WR.

Reactions: vesuvius13
All of that may be true, & in reality it probably wasn't as much of a loss as we thought at the time, but it's the principle, to me. & there's NO WAY he could crack our depth chart at WR.

I watched the kid play in high school live a few games. He was decent but not a highlight reel. He wasn’t a guy that was going to be a big-time passer in college. Every big 4 star that ever transferred into IU turned out to be a dud. And they didn’t start! Stevens was a 3 star. All these guys like Jeremi Finch, two kids from OSU, a 4-star DB from South Carolina. They all just disappeared.

I watched the kid play in high school live a few games. He was decent but not a highlight reel. He wasn’t a guy that was going to be a big-time passer in college. Every big 4 star that ever transferred into IU turned out to be a dud. And they didn’t start! Stevens was a 3 star. All these guys like Jeremi Finch, two kids from OSU, a 4-star DB from South Carolina. They all just disappeared.
Well I think the fact that they transferred in the 1st place is a clue. That's one thing that concerns me about Tuttle.

How would everyone feel if he lands at Purdue?

He’d ride the bench there too. The incumbent QB is better and the next two backups are probably comparable.

People need to think this through:

The kid has been waiting his turn patiently behind McSorley, who is now gone. He’s the heir apparent. It’s his keys to the car.
Now, suddenly, after the spring game he’s entering the transfer portal?

He’s seen the writing on the wall. He wasn’t going to be THE guy this year. If he was primed and locked in as the QB this year, no way he makes this move.

He’d ride the bench there too. The incumbent QB is better and the next two backups are probably comparable.

People need to think this through:

The kid has been waiting his turn patiently behind McSorley, who is now gone. He’s the heir apparent. It’s his keys to the car.
Now, suddenly, after the spring game he’s entering the transfer portal?

He’s seen the writing on the wall. He wasn’t going to be THE guy this year. If he was primed and locked in as the QB this year, no way he makes this move.

He apparently had surgery on his foot after the season ended and was limited during spring practice. I think he and his family were looking for assurances he would still be named the starter, and didn’t get it. I think he was clearly the guy up until the surgery.

Good read. A lot of logic, especially how the NFL QBs are from many smaller schools, not all big name football powers. How do they develop those skills?? By playing!!!

Not a sour grapes things at all that he jilted IU in November '14. Had he looked at it from just a likely playing time thing, he probably stays with IU. When he made that call, Sud was out for the season, Diamont was elevated from 4th or 5th string likely RS to playing. The future PT was there. But, like most kids, when a better known, bigger program comes calling, it takes a strong willed kid (and parents) to keep that original commitment. Had he come, he likely starts in '16 as a RS Frosh and beyond (and Lagow likely never gets signed out of juco).

Wish him luck and move on.

He apparently had surgery on his foot after the season ended and was limited during spring practice. I think he and his family were looking for assurances he would still be named the starter, and didn’t get it. I think he was clearly the guy up until the surgery.

Incorrect.
Staff was moving toward Clifford as the heir to McSorely. I have it on good authority from a former Penn State player connected to the program. The sad truth was that there were guys in the wings better than Stevens despite his experience and tenure. I flat out asked him: “ Who replaces McSorley?” He smiled and said “It would have eventually been Fields if he hadn’t flipped to Georgia (and now OSU) but it’s going to be Clifford.”

Incorrect.
Staff was moving toward Clifford as the heir to McSorely. I have it on good authority from a former Penn State player connected to the program. The sad truth was that there were guys in the wings better than Stevens despite his experience and tenure. I flat out asked him: “ Who replaces McSorley?” He smiled and said “It would have eventually been Fields if he hadn’t flipped to Georgia (and now OSU) but it’s going to be Clifford.”

If that was the case he really screwed up (and was screwed over) by not leaving this time last year...

If that was the case he really screwed up (and was screwed over) by not leaving this time last year...

Well.... he was. And the father, Tom Sr., pretty much laid it all out in recent comments saying the relationship with Franklin and staff had “deteriorated”
The ultimatum was that Stevens was named the starter prior to the summer. That didn’t happen and the edge was to Clifford, quite frankly, in the spring.

The kid could have made the NFL as a Julian Edelman type (who played QB in college in the MAC) but he gambled to play QB at a high profile school and got beat out. He may still get there as an undrafted guy but he was incorrectly utilized as a QB. He always should have been a WR or DB.

Agree with the Article. If you take a fifth year senior transfer at quarterback he has to be a guy who can start or be your best option as a backup in case of injury. If he doesn't fit that criteria he is simply taking practice reps away from younger players you could develop and who have more years of eligibility to use.

Well I think the fact that they transferred in the 1st place is a clue. That's one thing that concerns me about Tuttle.
Wait. Transferring means there's a problem with the guy? Oklahoma (Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray) might disagree.

Welcome to 2019. Transferring is the way of the world, particularly with respect to QBs. They're moving around more than ever before.

We need to give the younger guys experience and reps, they won't get them if we stack the backfield with upper classman transfers.

Wait. Transferring means there's a problem with the guy? Oklahoma (Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray) might disagree.

Welcome to 2019. Transferring is the way of the world, particularly with respect to QBs. They're moving around more than ever before.
Wait. Trasnferring means it's NEVER a problem with the guy??? I'm not going to list the hundreds of examples which would strongly contradict your....post. I'll list relevant ones though....Dawkins? Last year? That was most certainly a "problem with the guy". & the DB from South Carolina, Green, who was a 4* out of H.S. The WR from Florida a few years ago, I don't recall his name, as if it matters. Shall I go on? I mean, did I say it'a ALWAYS the players that are the problem with transferring? I just don't understand where you come from with these...opinions.

Last edited:
Wait. Trasnferring means it's NEVER a problem with the guy??? I'm not going to list the hundreds of examples which would strongly contradict your....post. I'll list relevant ones though....Dawkins? Last year? That was most certainly a "problem with the guy". & the DB from South Carolina, Green, who was a 4* out of H.S. The WR from Florida a few years ago, I don't recall his name, as if it matters. Shall I go on? I mean, did I say it'a ALWAYS the players that are the problem with transferring? I just don't understand where you come from with these...opinions.
Go back and read you earlier post. You expressed concern about Tuttle because he transferred ("well, I think the fact that they transferred in the 1st place is a clue. That's one thing that concerns me about Tuttle."). A clue of what? What about his transfer status concerns you, and what are you concerned about?

My point was that transferring is a common occurrence these days and is not, in and of itself, any cause for concern. Just like recruits out of high school, some transfers work out for the new school and others don't. Reasons for transferring run the gamut from a revised downward evaluation of the player by the coaching staff, to a personality clash with the coaching staff, to roster changes, to a failure to get the coveted "starter" guarantee the player seeks, to simply a need for a fresh start. But the bottom line, particularly with QBs, is that it's now a revolving door and transferring is the new normal - - see, for example, Kelly Bryant, Hunter Johnson, Justin Fields, Matthew Baldwin, Tate Martell, Tommy Stevens, etc. A transfer, by itself, doesn't raise red flags anymore, except perhaps with you.

Go back and read you earlier post. You expressed concern about Tuttle because he transferred ("well, I think the fact that they transferred in the 1st place is a clue. That's one thing that concerns me about Tuttle."). A clue of what? What about his transfer status concerns you, and what are you concerned about?

My point was that transferring is a common occurrence these days and is not, in and of itself, any cause for concern. Just like recruits out of high school, some transfers work out for the new school and others don't. Reasons for transferring run the gamut from a revised downward evaluation of the player by the coaching staff, to a personality clash with the coaching staff, to roster changes, to a failure to get the coveted "starter" guarantee the player seeks, to simply a need for a fresh start. But the bottom line, particularly with QBs, is that it's now a revolving door and transferring is the new normal - - see, for example, Kelly Bryant, Hunter Johnson, Justin Fields, Matthew Baldwin, Tate Martell, Tommy Stevens, etc. A transfer, by itself, doesn't raise red flags anymore, except perhaps with you.
So what?? That still doesn't....make sense, when you said, "the players the problem". & yes, that is 1 thing that concerns me about Tuttle, just exactly what I said. & yes, when I said "I think the fact they transferred in the 1st place is a clue" was a reply to a post which mentioned the smae players I referenced before--highly regarded players out of H.S. that came here & were total busts--obviously they were overrated to begin with, & they transfered from, wherever, because they couldn't cut it there, hence my statement. & yes, I worry Tuttle might be in that category, among other things about him that concern me, which will not be discussed today.

So what?? That still doesn't....make sense, when you said, "the players the problem". & yes, that is 1 thing that concerns me about Tuttle, just exactly what I said. & yes, when I said "I think the fact they transferred in the 1st place is a clue" was a reply to a post which mentioned the smae players I referenced before--highly regarded players out of H.S. that came here & were total busts--obviously they were overrated to begin with, & they transfered from, wherever, because they couldn't cut it there, hence my statement. & yes, I worry Tuttle might be in that category, among other things about him that concern me, which will not be discussed today.
I'm sure you have many talents. The ability to present a logical argument isn't one of them. Have a great day.

I'm sure you have many talents. The ability to present a logical argument isn't one of them. Have a great day.
I'm not convinced that you can tell. Clearly you can write English, not so clear if you can read it.

Last edited:
Alright, you're both ninkumpoops. As for the topic at hand, I think we are set at QB.
Sorry, but I can't just ignore someone that...antagonizes. Yes, I think we're set at QB, considering all of the talented PWO's we've added.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT