ADVERTISEMENT

In the era of Portal...

wi_hoosier

Junior
Nov 3, 2008
Should IU have a dedicated staff who's total focus is potential transfers?

I'm think NFL, NBA, MLB type of staffers who are constantly keeping tape and scouting notes on current players they would like. Much like pro team do with trade prospects. This could help IU be a step ahead when targeting a player that lands in the portal.

Just a random thought I had.

I'm think NFL, NBA, MLB type of staffers who are constantly keeping tape and scouting notes on current players they would like. Much like pro team do with trade prospects. This could help IU be a step ahead when targeting a player that lands in the portal.

Too many players to track. You are talking 300 plus D1 teams. Vs. 30 nba teams. If you count g league it’s 60 ish. Why waist time on players who won’t transfer.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Too many players to track. You are talking 300 plus D1 teams. Vs. 30 nba teams. If you count g league it’s 60 ish. Why waist time on players who won’t transfer.
You are thinking about it all wrong. The staff would focus on any player that they would want. It’s not about who they think is going into the portal. It’s who they want to try to pry away.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Keep in mind it's not out of bounds for a current or former player to contact another teams players or for someone with NIL bucks with an interest in IU having a great roster to contact a player with ideas on NIL opportunities.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
How is that different than MLB, with all the minor leaguers? That's why I said "staff," 10-15 people, in the field, who's sole focus is scouting and tracking. I mean, if this is going to continue to be a professional type of attitude, then you need to start thinking like a real professional organization.

Obviously you would not continuously track every player, but you could stay on a narrowed down list of say 100 players that you would be interested in pursuing.

Some people said that coach needed to play the younger players more so that they could develop for next year . The problem is if he plays the younger players and loses, and doesn’t make the tourney , there might not be a next year for the coach . It’s win now or there’s the door . The problem in todays college sports is new kids come in and expect a guaranteed certain amount of playing Time . If they feel they have been slighted in any way then it’s to the portal . I sure wouldn’t want to be a college coach in todays world . No matter what you do you are going have someone upset . There will be players on the final 4 teams who will be upset and hit the portal after the season .

I know one thing. The best teams will be those who can immediately recognize talent and ability and how it would fit into the specific team they are constructing. I think gone are the days of development. It is sad to see. Remember Matt Nover? He stunk for 2 1/2 yrs. Then we saw him get it. It was cool to see his improvement.

Reactions: wi_hoosier
I know one thing. The best teams will be those who can immediately recognize talent and ability and how it would fit into the specific team they are constructing. I think gone are the days of development. It is sad to see. Remember Matt Nover? He stunk for 2 1/2 yrs. Then we saw him get it. It was cool to see his improvement.
the problem with the portal is that Matt Nover would have never finished his career at IU in today's climate... But he was one hell of an actor in Blue Chips!! LOL

the problem with the portal is that Matt Nover would have never finished his career at IU in today's climate... But he was one hell of an actor in Blue Chips!! LOL
What about Brian Evans? Imagine asking a kid to redshirt his freshman year (at IU).

One of the things I have really enjoyed with IU basketball is watching a group of kids develop together as a class. Now we will get to see 25 year olds that played 1 or 2 years at IU. It’s just different . It reminds me of a fantasy football league (non keeper).

the last few points are correct...4/5 star freshman players aren't going to ride the pine for 1-2 yrs waiting for the upperclassmen to move on. Too easy now to hit the reset button and go elsewhere for immediate playing time and a little payout. As long as the portal/NIL situation remains as is, you'll see less and less 4 yr system players, let alone the ones willing to redshirt their first year. Less and less Matt Novers, Brian Evans.

Reactions: .Gerdis
As long as the portal/NIL situation remains as is, you'll see less and less 4 yr system players, let alone the ones willing to redshirt their first year. Less and less Matt Novers, Brian Evans.
Yeah, and the easy thing would be to root for the more collegiate teams that rely on traditional recruiting and four year players. But, alas, the bigger programs with robust booster money will just poach their players.

Dane Fife has it right! He termed it Portal-Johns(as in Port-o-lets) Just need to be careful of picking out other teams transfer rejects!

Yeah, and the easy thing would be to root for the more collegiate teams that rely on traditional recruiting and four year players. But, alas, the bigger programs with robust booster money will just poach their players.
It’s still in its infancy. One thing we know things always change. I bet this settles down a bit. You see what team ball does. Who would’ve thought Kansas state would be this good built from the portal? Then you have FAU development.

the last few points are correct...4/5 star freshman players aren't going to ride the pine for 1-2 yrs waiting for the upperclassmen to move on. Too easy now to hit the reset button and go elsewhere for immediate playing time and a little payout. As long as the portal/NIL situation remains as is, you'll see less and less 4 yr system players, let alone the ones willing to redshirt their first year. Less and less Matt Novers, Brian Evans.
Have they in the last 15-20 years? Not really. 4 stars maybe but the 5* kids haven’t. Not many anyway.

Have they in the last 15-20 years? Not really. 4 stars maybe but the 5* kids haven’t. Not many anyway.
its gotten progressively worse (or better, depending on your point of view) but I don't think we had 1500+ players wanting to transfer 20 yrs ago.

Just a matter of time before we get some confirmed cases of desperate programs tinkering behind the scenes with guys thinking of leaving...with a large NIL lure....it's probably happening already, but eventually this is going to lead to something pretty ugly. Nick Nolte and Blue Chips type of thing, except buying players that are presently scholly guys at other programs. It's inevitable.

its gotten progressively worse (or better, depending on your point of view) but I don't think we had 1500+ players wanting to transfer 20 yrs ago.

Just a matter of time before we get some confirmed cases of desperate programs tinkering behind the scenes with guys thinking of leaving...with a large NIL lure....it's probably happening already, but eventually this is going to lead to something pretty ugly. Nick Nolte and Blue Chips type of thing, except buying players that are presently scholly guys at other programs. It's inevitable.
I’d say that’s happening and according to May it is. Oh and I meant they aren’t sitting behind guys.

Landon Turner!

You'll see them, but not at the big P5 schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT