ADVERTISEMENT

Positive news on the backend of the ‘23 defense

We shift at the line based on O line and personnel sets. This is how how the overwhelming majority of D coordinators run their D lines.
You say the overwhelming majority of D coordinators do this but I don't see them have DL sliding down the LOS when the ball is snapped. Coach Allen can do what he wants with the defense I have just seen it decline the past few years and see the changes that don't seem to be working.

You say the overwhelming majority of D coordinators do this but I don't see them have DL sliding down the LOS when the ball is snapped. Coach Allen can do what he wants with the defense I have just seen it decline the past few years and see the changes that don't seem to be working.
Agreed. A defense will, of course, adjust at times. But our DL did a lot of sliding pre-snap last year. I assumed it was to try to screw up the OL blocking scheme.

Whatever the reason, it didn't work out real well.

Part of the DLs problem, imo, is we don't have the studs in there we used to have. Johnson was a beast and we haven't been a stout line since he left.

Agreed. A defense will, of course, adjust at times. But our DL did a lot of sliding pre-snap last year. I assumed it was to try to screw up the OL blocking scheme.

Whatever the reason, it didn't work out real well.

Part of the DLs problem, imo, is we don't have the studs in there we used to have. Johnson was a beast and we haven't been a stout line since he left.
Wommack was one DC that didn't have DL sliding once the ball was snapped. I am not talking about moving before the snap but moving parallel once the ball is snapped.

Reactions: 76-1
I watched the games and rewatched the games and they did that which infuriated me as a former defensive coach. Comments like you last comment is why poster question if you are who you say you are and the fact that you don't meet anyone at the game.
Sorry, but we didn’t do that. No one slides after the ball is snapped. Maybe we ran some stunts, which is likely wht has you confused, but we didn’t slide the DL post snap.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Wommack was one DC that didn't have DL sliding once the ball was snapped. I am not talking about moving before the snap but moving parallel once the ball is snapped.
Sliding to stay in one’s gap (for gap integrity) is one thing.
Not attacking that gap to disrupt the play is another.
IU’s DTs aren’t built to stonewall OL for low gains.
They need to attack gaps. LBs scrape their own gaps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT