ADVERTISEMENT

If Glass is fired, would that adversely affect football?

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
I really like CTA and the culture he is building. Looks like our new OC is legit. But if BB continues its slide and FG is fired, would that put CTA on the hot seat just from an organizational shakeup standpoint? Would that be bad for football? I think it would.

Reactions: vesuvius13
It’s Archie’s second year. No one is getting fired.
OK maybe I'm jumping the gun. I just really like how t he FB program is improving and would hate for BB fallout to adversely affect it. You are right, won't happen.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I really like CTA and the culture he is building. Looks like our new OC is legit. But if BB continues its slide and FG is fired, would that put CTA on the hot seat just from an organizational shakeup standpoint? Would that be bad for football? I think it would.
I'll play...A new AD would probably meet with all the coaches and set his or her expectations. I could not imagine a new AD coming in to start immediate firings unless it was already in the making before they came. After a year or two if those coaches could not meet those expectations you would see moves.

Reactions: IUCX9 and IUgradman
It’s Archie’s second year. No one is getting fired.

His second year and we are awful. Fred allowed the program to fall into this sorry state due to his inept management.

As for football, Allen has not demonstrated a lick of head coaching ability. Until he goes to a bowl game or two, this momentum is all hype and nothing more.

They must hire an AD who is football savvy. Hiring anything else will be a disaster.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman and IUCX9

McRobbie is set to retire in 2021. Archie will be around next year, and so will Glass, getting both until at least spring 2020. They will be replacing neither the athletic director nor the basketball coach with a president set to exit 1 year after.

McRobbie is set to retire in 2021. Archie will be around next year, and so will Glass, getting both until at least spring 2020. They will be replacing neither the athletic director nor the basketball coach with a president set to exit 1 year after.
I did not know that about McRobbie. Excellent point.

No. It might be the best thing that’s ever happened to IUFB.

Unless IU goes their cookie-cutter route with some good old boy network from the past and selects a basketball only AD guy, that’s where it would suffer. If they get a guy who understands he needs to be solid in both sports and doesn’t put football on autopilot, they can get a successor who can allow both major men’s sports to flourish. Prefer a guy who has no connections to IU but has been successful at a high level elsewhere.

If next year produces no post season for both sports, I cannot imagine Fred survives it.

Unless IU goes their cookie-cutter route with some good old boy network from the past and selects a basketball only AD guy, that’s where it would suffer. If they get a guy who understands he needs to be solid in both sports and doesn’t put football on autopilot, they can get a successor who can allow both major men’s sports to flourish. Prefer a guy who has no connections to IU but has been successful at a high level elsewhere.

If next year produces no post season for both sports, I cannot imagine Fred survives it.

I can confidently declare that neither team will make the postseason next year. This department is a trainwreck and the tracks aren’t getting cleared anytime soon.

Reactions: fpeaugh
I can confidently declare that neither team will make the postseason next year. This department is a trainwreck and the tracks aren’t getting cleared anytime soon.

They better have a short list of ADs then. No reason that IU should not be respectable in both sports with the money coming in. I remember Northwestern of the 80s and that scenario is beginning to look like IU now but no reason it should. That’s a small, private university with 1/2 the enrollment of IU.

Reactions: IUgradman
A new AD would have to work with a president and trustees that try to win in football on a budget. If they can't get approval to go after some big fish, the AD will realize that CTA is as good as others he would replace him with. I actually believe he can get the program where we go to bowl games every third year or so. If he can do that without having really bad years between, CTA will stay for a long time.

McRobbie leaving doesn't guarantee we will get a president that is an athletic supporter but iI would take my chances. ;)

A new AD would have to work with a president and trustees that try to win in football on a budget. If they can't get approval to go after some big fish, the AD will realize that CTA is as good as others he would replace him with. I actually believe he can get the program where we go to bowl games every third year or so. If he can do that without having really bad years between, CTA will stay for a long time.

McRobbie leaving doesn't guarantee we will get a president that is an athletic supporter but iI would take my chances. ;)

IU is inside of the top 40 of revenue of all FBS schools. I don’t buy the “on a budget” part, unless the AD just chooses to be on the cheap.

Reactions: IUCX9 and td75
IU is inside of the top 40 of revenue of all FBS schools. I don’t buy the “on a budget” part, unless the AD just chooses to be on the cheap.
I am not sure how I feel about a new AD. Even though it should not be this way there is no doubt that basketball rules the roost at IU. If Fred Glass gets fired in the next couple of year it will not be because of Tom Allen or IU football it will be because of basketball. The next guy will certainly know that and to keep his job he will have to keep the basketball people happy and some of that might be at the expense of football. I do not know all the facts but have read on these boards that we are still paying Tom Crean. If we fire Archie Miller we will be paying him some money too and they will have to pay a new basketball coach a lot. Where does that leave our football team? I’m not sure but I don’t think I like the sound of it.

I am not sure how I feel about a new AD. Even though it should not be this way there is no doubt that basketball rules the roost at IU. If Fred Glass gets fired in the next couple of year it will not be because of Tom Allen or IU football it will be because of basketball. The next guy will certainly know that and to keep his job he will have to keep the basketball people happy and some of that might be at the expense of football. I do not know all the facts but have read on these boards that we are still paying Tom Crean. If we fire Archie Miller we will be paying him some money too and they will have to pay a new basketball coach a lot. Where does that leave our football team? I’m not sure but I don’t think I like the sound of it.
You can't run an AD where you put the football program at the mercy of the basketball program....don't know what else to say. I understand people up there think it should be that way, but that certainly doesn't make it right.

Reactions: IUFan_FWA
You can't run an AD where you put the football program at the mercy of the basketball program....don't know what else to say. I understand people up there think it should be that way, but that certainly doesn't make it right.
I agree that it shouldn’t be that way but that is what I am worried about. If the current AD is fired soon I think that it will be because of basketball. Let me put it another way. If IU went 4-8 every year in football but the basketball team was winning do you think anybody outside of the biggest football fans would be saying the AD should be fired? I think the only time the AD is questioned is when basketball is bad and that sends a signal to the next guy that you better put basketball first. I don’t like it either but I think the only way to change it is for football to win and give the fans a taste of what that is like. Then maybe the people who care about football would not be in a big minority. But then I read these mad posts on the basketball side and you have some guys with Irish this or that in their nickname and I have a bad feeling about who they cheer for in the fall so I am not sure what to do about that.

Fred Glass knows nothing about football. So his departure would mean very little. Though it could expedite the return to names on the jerseys .

Last edited:

Unfortunately, IU admins were very out of touch with the progression of sports in this conference for decades. People can say “but we’re passionate about basketball in our state...”

So?

The people in the state of Michigan are not?

The people in Madison, WI don’t care?

Bullsh$&@!!

Those schools passed IU by 2 decades ago on the hardwood because of our dumb-dumbs in charge that Knight would have a team like 1976 every year.

Now, look what that got them? A football program struggling to keep up and the worst basketball program in the conference. We got exactly what we deserved because the admins didn’t follow the blueprint everyone else was following.

His second year and we are awful. Fred allowed the program to fall into this sorry state due to his inept management.

As for football, Allen has not demonstrated a lick of head coaching ability. Until he goes to a bowl game or two, this momentum is all hype and nothing more.

troll.

McRobbie could see an extension. Many are very happy with the work he has done on the academic, infrastructure and financial literacy sides. There is an interesting article in the IBJ about this, take a look.

Fred Glass has done some very good things for IU. He has improved facilities in football, baseball, softball, volleyball and wrestling.
He has made excellent hires in wrestling, volleyball,baseball and softball. I was able to watch the softball a couple of years ago at FIU and they were bad, watched them this weekend at FAU as they went 5-0 and defeated the sixth ranked team in the country.
Yes the football team missed a bowl game for the second straight year but have shown signs of improvement with an upswing in recruiting and also hiring of a highly thought of offensive coordinator. The basketball team is definitely struggling but they have suffered many injuries. They are struggling to score but they are playing very good defense. Hopefully they can turn it around win the BIG tournament and qualify for the tournament.

Reactions: Tokyo Steve
Glass is ~60 now so he's probably going to retire before being "fired".

I would doubt he gets canned since he's very well-connected politically and isn't going to fall on his sword if people are super-mad about basketball in a couple years.

You don't see basketball hiring cheaper first time head coaches as a rule. They have never invested in the staff for football as they have for basketball. I expect they like to put money back into the programs that make the most impact.

You don't see basketball hiring cheaper first time head coaches as a rule. They have never invested in the staff for football as they have for basketball. I expect they like to put money back into the programs that make the most impact.
You don't see basketball hiring cheaper first time head coaches because they don't have to. IU basketball is actually a coveted job for coaches. IU football, on the other hand, has traditionally been viewed as one of the most difficult and undesirable coaching jobs in college sports.
P.S. We're paying our new football OC $800k annually. He's one of the highest paid assistants in the conference.

I admit I would miss the blue light specials at the concession stands.

Maybe? Most ADs eventually want their guys in the main sports. So if Fred gets the boot anytime soon and if Allen were to underperform again, I could certainly see a new football coach.

Fred Glass has done some very good things for IU. He has improved facilities in football, baseball, softball, volleyball and wrestling.
He has made excellent hires in wrestling, volleyball,baseball and softball. I was able to watch the softball a couple of years ago at FIU and they were bad, watched them this weekend at FAU as they went 5-0 and defeated the sixth ranked team in the country.
Yes the football team missed a bowl game for the second straight year but have shown signs of improvement with an upswing in recruiting and also hiring of a highly thought of offensive coordinator. The basketball team is definitely struggling but they have suffered many injuries. They are struggling to score but they are playing very good defense. Hopefully they can turn it around win the BIG tournament and qualify for the tournament.

Nobody cares about non-revenue sports. Football and men’s basketball bring in the money and ratings. IU has been abysmal in both sports under Glass.

So that exonerates him? Isn’t it his job to fix the football program?
No but you lead people to believe it just started with him.
So you believe hiring Archie Miller was the wrong call? Because you would be one of the very few who believed that.
Progress is being made also in improving the football program.
The football program has been historically bad so you are not going to fix it immediately.
He has upgraded facilities. He has brought in s coach who loved the school , the state and does not view job as a stepping stone. He is bringing in better kids and is getting closer to the big boys in the conference.

No but you lead people to believe it just started with him.
So you believe hiring Archie Miller was the wrong call? Because you would be one of the very few who believed that.
Progress is being made also in improving the football program.
The football program has been historically bad so you are not going to fix it immediately.
He has upgraded facilities. He has brought in s coach who loved the school , the state and does not view job as a stepping stone. He is bringing in better kids and is getting closer to the big boys in the conference.
Cue the "But Jeff Brohm did it overnight at Purdue" diatribe against IU.

Edit:
I mean, yes Brohm won with a roster that averaged 13th in B1G recruiting. That says a lot. But his successs do not diminish the progress made at IU. Even if their rise has contributed to our failure to get 6 wins the last two years. Anyone thinking football has been abysmal the last 4 years is being disingenuous

Reactions: ESalum86
McRobbie could see an extension. Many are very happy with the work he has done on the academic, infrastructure and financial literacy sides. There is an interesting article in the IBJ about this, take a look.

It's possible but, I think, unlikely. He chose his retirement date and is currently 68. Not sure he's looking to continue his term into his 70s.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT