ADVERTISEMENT

Ia Adolph Rupp burning in hell....

jimmygoiu

All-American
Sep 5, 2001
After watching these documentaries this week, along with Glory Road, what a racist this man was.

Footnoted quotes from Racist Rupp himself

Here are four quotes from Rupp from people who covered him in sports journalism and from people who worked for him:

He said, "You've got to beat those c##ns." He turned to (center)Thad Jaracz. "You go after that big c##n.". . . He talked that way all the time. . . A chill went through me. I was standing in the back of the room, and I looked around at the players. They all kind of ducked their heads. They were embarrassed. This was clearly the type of thing that went over the line. - Frank Deford, Sports Illustrated, reporting on Coach Adolph Rupp's halftime exhortations in the UK Wildcat's locker room.

"Harry, that son of a bitch is ordering me to get some ni##ers in here. What am I going to do ? He's the boss." - Harry Lancaster, long-time assistant to Rupp, in his book Adolph Rupp As I Knew Him (Lexington Productions, 1979), quoting Rupp on Dr. John Oswald, UK President.

Once, I was on a flight with Rupp and sat with him in the first-class section. He had about six Kentucky bourbons in less than an hour and was about halfway to the wind. I told him that I was an attorney who represented some basketball players. Now, I had never met the man, and the first significant thing he said to me was, "The trouble with the ABA is that there are too many ni##er boys in it now." I sat there just stunned. That just killed my image of Adolph Rupp the great coach. Maybe it was because he had too much to drink, but even so.. - Loose Balls by Terry Pluto, Simon & Schuster, 1990, pg. 241.

Rupp liked to say he had tried to recruit Wilt Chamberlain in the mid-1950s, when the 7-foot Philadelphia phenom was the talk of basketball. But could I take him to Atlanta, New Orleans, or Starkville ?" Rupp asked rhetorically. - And the Walls Came Tumbling Down (1999, Simon & Schuster) by journalist Frank Fitzpatrick, a long-time staffer at the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Posted from Rivals Mobile

Re: Adolph seems to go in hand with extreme racism

I'm certainly not defending Rupp, however he was not alone when it came to racism in his day. Many schools, both in the north and south, were late to the dance when it came to recruiting and offering basketball scholarships to kids of color.

It's too bad Rupp went as far as vocalizing his thoughts. He could have been a pioneer for rather than a racist.

Kentucky Basketball, LLC

Has sanitized the political correctness, but despite outsourcing The program still remains the most vile program of all time.

And with that said, UK STILL celebrates his banners and has an arena named after him.

There isn't a program in the country that pushes out more positive PR...

than their program. Every other day they are posting some article about how great their guys are and how they help every old lady in Lexington across the street and rescue cats from burning buildings. When you see that much self-generated PR, it makes you wonder what crud they are trying to bury.

Hey, I've got a great idea! Let's name an arena after him...

Oh, wait. They already did that. Never mind. On a side note, I'm sick of pUKe fans tell everyone how great their state is for BB. Look at their roster! One or two "token" guys from Kennnnnnntucky who never get to play. What a joke.

Re: Hey, I've got a great idea! Let's name an arena after him...

Originally posted by NoVertical:
Oh, wait. They already did that. Never mind. On a side note, I'm sick of pUKe fans tell everyone how great their state is for BB. Look at their roster! One or two "token" guys from Kennnnnnntucky who never get to play. What a joke.
laugh.r191677.gif
....And still you envy us......

Originally posted by STEVEGRO50:

Originally posted by NoVertical:
Whats even funnier...You have a great state for HS basketball...only problem is none of them want to play for Indiana....LOLOLOLOLOLo

Envious of racism? Is that the point of your post?

This thread is about Rupp's obvious racism. But I guess if one could be envious of a fanbase that promotes and embodies racism, I guess every fanbase would be envious of UK's pronounced racism....lol
Posted from Rivals Mobile

After watching these documentaries this week, along with Glory Road, what a racist this man was.
I lived for a few years out of college about 30 miles south of Lexington. I noticed a large number of African Americans wearing UL gear. I commented to a friend of mine that was one of those UL fans that I was surprised how many people were UL fans in UK's backyard. He explained that the African American families were well aware of the racist views of Rupp and would never support UK or a college that would play in an arena named for him.

This was before the internet and in a time where we only saw the public image of a person. I had no idea that there was such a hatred of the man. I was surprised their views had been kept quiet. I wonder if the hatred has faded over the years. How long before Lexington dumps the Rupp Arena name?

laugh.r191677.gif
....And still you envy us......

There are three things that are true about this story. 1. Rupp was a big-time rascist; 2. UK is and always has been corrupt; and 3. No one on here would give a crap about 1 & 2 if IU had had anything like the winning record UK has had in the last 15 years. Think otherwise? How many posts do we see about the rascist & corrupt basketball histories of Ole Miss, Miss St, Auburn, LSU et al?

Right now we're reduced to yelling "rascist" at UK fans & "no banners" at Purdue fans.

I hate to break it to you but Branch was a known racist too, it is a horrible ugly past but it was just the times back then. Fortunately as a country we've come a long way since, and we've been able to progress.

I hate to break it to you but Branch was a known racist too, it is a horrible ugly past but it was just the times back then. Fortunately as a country we've come a long way since, and we've been able to progress.
I heard Oscar Robertson in an interview say that racism kept him from going to IU. So you can say that racism cost us a whole lot. One thing I have concluded is that racism is a shame. It's a shame that people would treat others differently because of their skin color. It's also a shame because racists (whether red,yellow,black or white) are usually angry people. They don't have peace in their lives because when you hate all the time it prevents you from experiencing happiness.

I heard Oscar Robertson in an interview say that racism kept him from going to IU. So you can say that racism cost us a whole lot. One thing I have concluded is that racism is a shame. It's a shame that people would treat others differently because of their skin color. It's also a shame because racists (whether red,yellow,black or white) are usually angry people. They don't have peace in their lives because when you hate all the time it prevents you from experiencing happiness.
Racism is ignorance.

I lived for a few years out of college about 30 miles south of Lexington. I noticed a large number of African Americans wearing UL gear. I commented to a friend of mine that was one of those UL fans that I was surprised how many people were UL fans in UK's backyard. He explained that the African American families were well aware of the racist views of Rupp and would never support UK or a college that would play in an arena named for him.

This was before the internet and in a time where we only saw the public image of a person. I had no idea that there was such a hatred of the man. I was surprised their views had been kept quiet. I wonder if the hatred has faded over the years. How long before Lexington dumps the Rupp Arena name?

Not surprised by that story.

The second line of "My Old Kentucky Home" as written by Foster was "'tis summer, and the darkies are gay". It's always interesting to spend some time in Kentucky.

That said, I do not like the PC practice of renaming buildings, parks et al. It's better to have things out in the open & discussed...otherwise, it becomes political.....which do you keep....Ronald Reagan Highway or JFK airport?

I think humanity always wins out. Sometimes it takes many generations of transforming warped point of views due to their upbringings but progress has and continues to be made.

It's easy to sit back now knowing how hurtful, vile and atrocious those thoughts and words are in any setting but back in that time, I assure you that Adolph was likely among the majority that spoke like that. Had he been raised in more recent generations, he most likely would have been raised to believe differently. Just in the same way as religions are currently overwhelmingly based on location, our beliefs are often founded on location and generational time frame we are raised.

I think the best thing to do is to learn from that past and not necessarily forget it. Its easy to think in our current society/culture that there is no way humanity could genuinely have that thought process............but as you can see, we absolutely have the ability. Much like CTE from football, it's on us to continue to educate ourselves and progress.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
I think humanity always wins out. Sometimes it takes many generations of transforming warped point of views due to their upbringings but progress has and continues to be made.

It's easy to sit back now knowing how hurtful, vile and atrocious those thoughts and words are in any setting but back in that time, I assure you that Adolph was likely among the majority that spoke like that. Had he been raised in more recent generations, he most likely would have been raised to believe differently. Just in the same way as religions are currently overwhelmingly based on location, our beliefs are often founded on location and generational time frame we are raised.

I think the best thing to do is to learn from that past and not necessarily forget it. Its easy to think in our current society/culture that there is no way humanity could genuinely have that thought process............but as you can see, we absolutely have the ability. Much like CTE from football, it's on us to continue to educate ourselves and progress.

I think humanity 'always wins out' in countries like the USA, as it is presently constituted. It's hard to argue for the statement as a general proposition when you consider WW1, WW2, and the rise of communism & jihadist terrorism & political philosophy. I think the more provable proposition is that humans are inherently fearful & gullible. The progress that has been made is largely due to the existence of the right to free speech, which is presently under serious attack in much of the world.

God question.
But Adolph was a racist.

I can't imagine that is up for debate. We know it and he certainly wouldn't survive today with the ideology he had back then. That goes for a lot of people.

I think anyone who would name their son Adolph today is setting their son up for a lifetime of racist associations.

I'm certainly not defending Rupp, however he was not alone when it came to racism in his day. Many schools, both in the north and south, were late to the dance when it came to recruiting and offering basketball scholarships to kids of color.

It's too bad Rupp went as far as vocalizing his thoughts. He could have been a pioneer for rather than a racist.
Most and it was very common place back then. Most in every state were racist back then but not famous.

Most and it was very common place back then. Most in every state were racist back then but not famous.

Exactly. It's not to say its not horrific because that is 100% what it is. With that said, it was considered normal back then so its hard to judge someone using today's social norms. Thank goodness we have progressed to where we are today and I hope we only continue to progress.

Lol using a movie like glory road to cite rupp as a racist that’s great. You do know most of the stuff in that movie was the Hollywood touch right? Guys who played in that game said there weren’t rebel flags everywhere like the movie portrayed. Rupp tried to recruit guys like unselfish and Ralph beard but he couldn’t get any of those guys because they preferred the inner city colleges. Rupp was also a victim of his time. Times were changing as his coaching tenure was coming to an end. Was he a little racist? Possibly, but that’s the time he grew up in. He wasn’t the chapter president for klan meetings.

Lol using a movie like glory road to cite rupp as a racist that’s great. You do know most of the stuff in that movie was the Hollywood touch right? Guys who played in that game said there weren’t rebel flags everywhere like the movie portrayed. Rupp tried to recruit guys like unselfish and Ralph beard but he couldn’t get any of those guys because they preferred the inner city colleges. Rupp was also a victim of his time. Times were changing as his coaching tenure was coming to an end. Was he a little racist? Possibly, but that’s the time he grew up in. He wasn’t the chapter president for klan meetings.

Wall2Boogie's auto-correct feature apparently overwhelmed him.

I am guessing that in part of his post, he posted:

"Rupp tried to recruit guys like unselfish and Ralph beard"

I am confident that he/she meant:

"Rupp tried to recruit Wes Unseld and Butch Beard."

(Unseld, who would become an NBA great was Kentucky's Mr. Basketball in 1964; Beard in 1965.)

19640417RuppVisitsUnseld.jpg

In 1966, the year of "Glory Road" Kentucky beat Duke in the Final Four. Neither Duke nor Saint Dean Smith at North Carolina had ever had an African-American scholarship player.

At that time in the Deep South (e.g. Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, et al), black players would not have been allowed to eat in the same restaurants nor stay in the same hotels as the rest of the team. (The attached article above states that Kentucky would have to play the Mississippi schools in Memphis.) And who knows if those players would have even been safe around those "crackers."

Last edited:
It was so bad then that in 1963, Mississippi State won the SEC championship but refused to participate in the NCAA tournament.

The unwritten law in Mississippi back then was Mississippi athletic teams were not to play against integrated teams. That meant Babe McCarthy’s best team ever — Bailey Howell’s senior season — forfeited its NCAA bid. Kentucky, which State soundly beat in a regular-season game, took the Bulldogs’ place in the tournament that was eventually won by the University of California..

.https://www.sunherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/rick-cleveland/article138468548.html

Last edited:
Possibly racist. Yes Racist.

Exactly. It's not to say its not horrific because that is 100% what it is. With that said, it was considered normal back then so its hard to judge someone using today's social norms. Thank goodness we have progressed to where we are today and I hope we only continue to progress.
I would not use progress. I would use evolve. There should be no bias or racism toward any race, all should been seen and judged equally on the content of their character.

Reactions: WildcatDJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT