ADVERTISEMENT

I think it's kind of funny

By pretty much every measurable ranking system we along with Maryland have the best teams/talent on paper in the conference even with losing Blackmon.

Burger boys...we have two. Maryland has three or two (was Trimble a burger boy or was he like Troy right on the cusp). MSU has one in Davis. Ohio State has a couple of cusps in Loving, Lyle and Diop. Iowa has no one...neither does any other team off the top of my head. The big ten actually went through a bit of a recruiting lull which is why the conference is down this year. We still recruited at a high level. Bingo...we already have a talent advantage.

That's not to say other players have developed... Valentine, Uthoff and Hammond's definitely have out played they're low four star, ranked around 80 to 100 status...but only Maryland can match our paper talent of high 4 stars and 5 stars.

I mean look at the lineups:
Yogi 5 star
RJ mid 4 star
Troy high 4 star
Bryant 5 star
Hartman unranked 3 star

Iowa:
Uthoff low 4 star
Woodbury mid 4 star
Jok unranked 3 star
Clemmons unranked 3 star
Gessel low 4 star

Purdue
Hammons low 4 star
Davis high 3 star
Edwards low 4 star
Swanigan 5 star
Thompson unranked 3 star

MSU:
Davis 5 star
Costello high 3 star
Valentine low 4 star
Forbes unranked
Harris unranked

Catch my drift?

Purdue, four 4-stars and a 5-star.

I'm not seeing this huge talent disparity now that I look up the composite rankings.

Maryland has roughly what we have, though, like us, one of their 4/5 guys is hurt. Dion Wiley was a 4*. That leaves them with five 4/5* guys. We've got 5 healthy ones too.

Illinois doesn't have six active four stars. It's Hill, Nunn and Landes and then a bunch of rec players as they've been devastated by injury. Counting Black and Abrams is like me counting Blackmon.

None of those Illinois guys were anywhere close to as highly regarded as Yogi, Bryant and Troy were. Same goes for Purdue other than Swanigan. Haas, Edwards, Davis and Hammons were all around the 80-120 spots...like Elston, Sheehey, Hulls and VJ3 were.

Same for Iowa. Woodbury is the closest to being highly regarded and he was in the same area as Robert Johnson.

We've LOST more highly regarded players than most team have. Stan was middle 4 star, Hanner was middle 4 star, Hollowell was a high 4 star. All were higher regarded than everyone on Purdue except Calib, everyone at Iowa except maybe Woodbury and everyone at MSU except Davis.

There's a huge difference between a top 30 player and a top 100ish player. Zeller was a five star, Watford was a mid four and Elston and Sheehey were high 3's. That's like saying AJ Ratliff and James Hardy are on the same level as DJ White and Robert Vaden.

Illinois doesn't have six active four stars. It's Hill, Nunn and Landes and then a bunch of rec players as they've been devastated by injury.

None of those guys were anywhere close to as highly regarded as Yogi, Bryant and Troy were. Same goes for Purdue other than Swanigan. Haas, Edwards, Davis and Hammons were all around the 80-120 spots...like Elston, Sheehey, Hulls and VJ3 were.

Same for Iowa. Woodbury is the closest to being highly regarded and he was in the same area as Robert Johnson.

We've LOST more highly regarded players than most team have. Stan was middle 4 star, Hanner was middle 4 star, Hollowell was a high 4 star. All were higher regarded than everyone on Purdue except Calib, everyone at Iowa except maybe Woodbury and everyone at MSU except Davis.

There's a huge difference between a top 30 player and a top 100ish player.

So if Hanner and Stan were such highly regarded players coming out of HS, what does that say about these rankings? I mean, we saw them play. They were athletic. They were not basketball players.

How many times out of 100 would you take Stan over Coverdale as your PG?

Illinois doesn't have six active four stars. It's Hill, Nunn and Landes and then a bunch of rec players as they've been devastated by injury. Counting Black and Abrams is like me counting Blackmon.

None of those Illinois guys were anywhere close to as highly regarded as Yogi, Bryant and Troy were. Same goes for Purdue other than Swanigan. Haas, Edwards, Davis and Hammons were all around the 80-120 spots...like Elston, Sheehey, Hulls and VJ3 were.

There's a huge difference between a top 30 player and a top 100ish player. Zeller was a five star, Watford was a mid four and Elston and Sheehey were high 3's. That's like saying AJ Ratliff and James Hardy are on the same level as DJ White and Robert Vaden.

Illinois.....DJ Williams and Aaron Jordan both composite 4*. Played in 21/25 games, respectively.

I agree with you and I'd take Coverdale over those guys probably even today (not sure if you've seen Coverdale lately but...he's really ballooned up).

Actually I think a lot of our success has been the Max's and losing Blackmon. As Dakich pointed out we have more than enough players who can score but now we've surrounded them with lunch pailers.

I wasn't counting Williams and Jordan for Illinois. We're they low four star freshmen? Grose has always been underwhelming, even when he was at Ohio.

I agree with you and I'd take Coverdale over those guys probably even today (not sure if you've seen Coverdale lately but...he's really ballooned up).

Actually I think a lot of our success has been the Max's and losing Blackmon. As Dakich pointed out we have more than enough players who can score but now we've surrounded them with lunch pailers.

I wasn't counting Williams and Jordan for Illinois. We're they low four star freshmen? Grose has always been underwhelming, even when he was at Ohio.

247 lists them as 4s.

Your point is why I take rankings of talent with a grain of salt. And those rankings say nothing about experience.

Three star Max B. In his 5th year is more valuable to me than a freshman 4*.

Iowa starts 4 seniors who were 3/4 stars. That's rare and has helped them immensely.

Coverdale vs. Stan.

Hartman vs. Hollowell

OG vs. Hanner

Ok.....tangent on....

1) I have posted all season that I have high expectations for the talent on this team. Yet people (including you) think I am trolling. Eff Off

2) Why should we be excited about Crean "getting a good win" against perdoo? That is what he is paid to do. He receives over 3 million a year and that has translated to two sweet sixteen appearances...not wins....appearances going into his 8th season. He has severely underachieved in two years (year three and the year we didn't make a tournament at all). Beyond that, he lost in the first round of his latest NCAA Tournament game.

Beyond that, celebrating a good win is akin to putting Watford hitting a basket on a popcorn box. Yea! We beat Kentucky! Yea! We beat perdoo! Yea! We're back....again....wait...yep again....These kinds of wins should be expected and not something to run to a message board just to post how large of an orgasm one just had because of a win.

3) I'm tired of the rah rah chit from people that want to say "don't get me wrong, I want him gone" then act like people should be worshiping at the alter of the Tangerine.

Do I want this team to lose? No. Do I want Crean here? No. Am I happy with his less that stellar results? No. Do I run to the board and gloat after a loss? No...in fact after both losing and winning, I keep reposting that THIS TEAM is still in position to accomplish big things because I have high expectations for their talent.

I don't find joy in losing...I haven't necessarily found a lot of joy in our wins. Why on the wins? Because this team could be playing so much better...so much more consistent...and be much more dangerous, yet CTC refuses at times to do what is necessary.

This year I have only made it Bloomington for 4 games, partly because of the construction but mostly because of how frustrating this team can be to watch. I made the conscious decision to sell the others ticket. Previously, I tried to make sure that they went to IU fans...but this year, they went to the highest bidder. Had someone say something about how annoying the Iowa fan was that used my tickets. My response? He paid plenty to have that opportunity...

So next time you want to come over here and "find it kind of funny" at the lack of responses, don't. My expectations is that this team is talented enough to win a B1G Championship and go to the Final Four.

....steps off soap box

This post summarizes all of my thoughts in a way I haven't been able to properly articulate because of my disdain for Crean's handling of the program. Good stuff.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
So this thread has devolved into a pissing match, and I'm dumber for having read it. And I was dumb to begin with. So, thanks for the continued dumbing down of Hoops Cat, a continuing decline in stoopidity.

But, Zeke's original point is valid, and not one post by any of you asshats refuted it - if IU had lost to PUke, there'd be a mile long thread about it. Y'all hijacked the thread with the same old arguments that tortured me last year, and the year before that.

Cock remoras - one and all.

I smite thee.

This is free board level discussion.

Dudette ...

Yogi averages 34 minutes per game - most on the team.
Troy is next at 26.

You rest a guy after 10 so he can play the last 5 ... and still have fresh legs so he doesn't foul out, and so he can play down the stretch of the conference and NCAA tourneys.

Plus, how do you know whether Anunoby even knows the offense?
Any sumbitch shooting 58% FT won't play AT ALL on my team.

I aint saying Crean is a great coach, and I have grievances, but the substitution and deflections complaints are, umm, id e odd ick.

That's dumber than OP's dumb@ss post. Congrats. I didn't think it was possible.

Reactions: Moops
So if Hanner and Stan were such highly regarded players coming out of HS, what does that say about these rankings? I mean, we saw them play. They were athletic. They were not basketball players.

How many times out of 100 would you take Stan over Coverdale as your PG?

It says, like it always has. Beyond the top 30ish players each year, it's a total crapshoot.

Work ethic and ability to learn, and be taught, has a much larger impact than a star rating from high school.

Dealing with teenagers is hard; dealing with teenagers that have been told they are the greatest thing in the world is even harder.

Crean recruited a lot of dumb players in past years. His best hits have almost always been the unheralded ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosierdug
I don't know, what will our ranking be tomorrow? Every prediction I saw had us from about 3rd to 5th in the Big Ten. Don't think I saw any having us winning it. Maybe we will, maybe we won't, who knows. And if you have ever paid attention, I am not a Crean apologists, but I am smart enough to know when improvements have occurred. Others just say moronic things....like you.

Improvements have occurred... lol... love the passive voice. Biggest indictment of Crean I've seen yet.

Explain to me "talent". Our best player, Yogi, is not in most mock drafts at all. Arguably our best shooter is missing half the season. We are relying heavily on 3 freshmen. I don't know, do we have more talent than most of the teams ahead of us? Do we have more than Maryland, MSU, or even Purdue? I am just interested in somebody defining what "talent" is. And, oh btw, if we do have talent, who is responsible for getting that talent here?

You're on a site dedicated to it. How the hell can you not figure it out?

Reactions: HA2740
So this thread has devolved into a pissing match, and I'm dumber for having read it. And I was dumb to begin with. So, thanks for the continued dumbing down of Hoops Cat, a continuing decline in stoopidity.

But, Zeke's original point is valid, and not one post by any of you asshats refuted it - if IU had lost to PUke, there'd be a mile long thread about it. Y'all hijacked the thread with the same old arguments that tortured me last year, and the year before that.

I smite thee.

Why do you post?

I smite thee.

The good news: Given your level of dumb, you didn't have far to fall.
The bad news: You agreed with Zeke on Crean. (See good news).

Reactions: C-$
The good news: Given your level of dumb, you didn't have far to fall.
The bad news: You agreed with Zeke on Crean. (See good news).
I didn't say anything about Crean; I despise the asshat, too, and hope he's out soon. I merely commented that Zeke's observation was likely correct.

Your next enlightening or funny post will be your first.

My hatred is for Crean's recruiting, kicking players off the team to free up scholarships, his love of deflections, how occasionally obnoxious he is to Don Fischer, his lack of being able to teach a team defense, that he ran Calbert off, that World Wide Wes is sniffing around our program, etc etc etc. I could go on for paragraphs, but I feel like I don't have to justify my contempt and scorn for Crean.....it should be readily apparent and understood why the guy flat out sucks ass.

I don't care if we beat Purdue or win the Big 10, the ends do not justify the means. I don't enjoy the games because I do not like the style of play. It is that simple. I will never be able to enjoy Crean's brand of basketball. I was spoiled by how Knight's teams played, so I am a bit of purist. I think the DH in baseball is abhorrent as well. I turning into one of those old men that pine for the old days, and I am cool with that.

I did watch the game last night, I have watched probably 5 total games in the big ten. In the preconference, I watched 16 total minutes. I'm watching because I like Hartmann, and I like the freshmen. I will never enjoy Troy Williams and his "sick hopz", and Yogi Ferrell may be my least favorite Hoosier, moving past Pat Knight on that list. Whatever. I'm bored with this topic, just like I am bored by IU basketball.
Man, I think EXACTLY the same way about the current coach and the state of IU basketball as this post. Except I didn't watch the game last night.

I didn't say anything about Crean; I despise the asshat, too, and hope he's out soon. I merely commented that Zeke's observation was likely correct.

Your next enlightening or funny post will be your first.
"Likely correct"? We're supposed to be happy that for once Crean didn't fack up the game? For somebody that "despises" Crean, you sure sound like an advocate with that "same old argument, tortured" comment. Lighten up, Francis. I was just yanking your chain.

Last edited:
You can count deflections for regular defense too. God does but I don't. God will but I won't.

Speaking of never pressing, did you see the BTN show on the 2002 Final Game?

Mike Davis said he did not understand "zone trap press" when he became coach.

He and the players were very open.
You can count claps per possession by the coach too. It's as worthless a stat. Maybe he should instead focus on percentage of defensive stops or even points per possession allowed?

Like I said, it's another Crean weirdoness.... of many.

A couple of things. While we do not press, we play fast (rightly or wrongly). Number of possessions are high. I think his substitution patterns are much improved. Also, our bench has been destroying the opponents bench. We do have some depth. Use it.

sigh ... have you compared the amount of subs vs normal mentally stable coaches?

My hatred is for Crean's recruiting, kicking players off the team to free up scholarships, his love of deflections, how occasionally obnoxious he is to Don Fischer, his lack of being able to teach a team defense, that he ran Calbert off, that World Wide Wes is sniffing around our program, etc etc etc. I could go on for paragraphs, but I feel like I don't have to justify my contempt and scorn for Crean.....it should be readily apparent and understood why the guy flat out sucks ass.

I don't care if we beat Purdue or win the Big 10, the ends do not justify the means. I don't enjoy the games because I do not like the style of play. It is that simple. I will never be able to enjoy Crean's brand of basketball. I was spoiled by how Knight's teams played, so I am a bit of purist. I think the DH in baseball is abhorrent as well. I turning into one of those old men that pine for the old days, and I am cool with that.

I did watch the game last night, I have watched probably 5 total games in the big ten. In the preconference, I watched 16 total minutes. I'm watching because I like Hartmann, and I like the freshmen. I will never enjoy Troy Williams and his "sick hopz", and Yogi Ferrell may be my least favorite Hoosier, moving past Pat Knight on that list. Whatever. I'm bored with this topic, just like I am bored by IU basketball.
Boy, that last paragraph perfectly sums it up for me. I think OG really could be a special player. I just wish we could get the coach that could actually do something with that instead of pulling him after he hits a couple 3s and gets a block.

Reactions: burnthemallralphie

fwiw - I think losing Blackmon made Tommy Tweaker simplify the offense.

"Likely correct"? We're supposed to be happy that for once Crean didn't fack up the game? For somebody that "despises" Crean, you sure sound like an advocate with that "same old argument, tortured" comment. Lighten up, Francis. I was just yanking your chain.
Just don't be touchin any of my stuff.

Hoops is trying to have his cake and eat it, too, and instead, he just sounds like a retard.

Reactions: C-$ and hoosierdug
fwiw - I think losing Blackmon made Tommy Tweaker simplify the offense.
I've been having a recurring terrifying thought lately that if Troy continues his good play, he will undoubtedly help IU advance deeper in the tourney and give Crean A LOT longer leash. If this happens it will make him the untouchable leader as my least favorite player in the history of IU hoops.

I don't really want him to stay on, but that doesn't mean I'll cheer for a loss. Just enjoying some of the games quite a bit this year, especially after how much they sucked in Maui.

Maui is the reason I am not enjoying it. Without that debacle, we are Top 10 all year long. Instead, apathy ...

Do you think #IUBB will win the B1G outright? Do you know what that would take? I don't see it happening .... even though Maryland and Iowa are both over-rated.

Bring on the post-season. Let's see how it flushes out.

This is the first year I've actually thought that an outright Big Ten Conference Title doesn't mean as much as it used to. With the way the schedules are just so lopsided, it's hard to accept that the team actually "won" it. You can't tell me that if Indiana played a true round-robin schedule it would be anywhere near first place. Winning at Michigan was solid, even though they're a pretty mediocre team. But not having to play at Maryland, Ohio St, or Purdue makes all the difference in the world.

And I understand that as things stand today, they could surprise and win at Iowa. Especially considering how the Hawkeyes are fading a bit down the stretch.

But ask yourself this...if Indiana is the #1 seed in the B1G Tournament, does anyone really expect them to win it?

Those games aren't played in Assembly Hall...

This is the first year I've actually thought that an outright Big Ten Conference Title doesn't mean as much as it used to. With the way the schedules are just so lopsided, it's hard to accept that the team actually "won" it. You can't tell me that if Indiana played a true round-robin schedule it would be anywhere near first place. Winning at Michigan was solid, even though they're a pretty mediocre team. But not having to play at Maryland, Ohio St, or Purdue makes all the difference in the world.

And I understand that as things stand today, they could surprise and win at Iowa. Especially considering how the Hawkeyes are fading a bit down the stretch.

But ask yourself this...if Indiana is the #1 seed in the B1G Tournament, does anyone really expect them to win it?

I think the B1G should add 2 more teams, and essentially split into two related conferences, with two true round-robin schedules (14 games in hoops, 7 in football), and two true champions. The two champs in football can meet for the playoff auto bid, and both conferences can be combined and seeded together for a 16-team basketball tournament for the NCAA autobid.

I think the B1G should add 2 more teams, and essentially split into two related conferences, with two true round-robin schedules (14 games in hoops, 7 in football), and two true champions. The two champs in football can meet for the playoff auto bid, and both conferences can be combined and seeded together for a 16-team basketball tournament for the NCAA autobid.

Or drop a couple. Rutgers and somebody else. Purdue/PSU/Nebraska /Northwestern. Any combination of.

First off, I don't disagree with your notion. But on the flip side of not having to go to Maryland, Purdue and Ohio State is the opportunity to win out at home vs. Penn State, Rutgers, Michigan and then perhaps MSU, depending upon a lot of factors, including 'which MSU team' we'd have played. I think it would probably be a wash for us.

First off, I don't disagree with your notion. But on the flip side of not having to go to Maryland, Purdue and Ohio State is the opportunity to win out at home vs. Penn State, Rutgers, Michigan and then perhaps MSU, depending upon a lot of factors, including 'which MSU team' we'd have played. I think it would probably be a wash for us.

Sure, that works when comparing who Indiana plays home/away vs. who they didn't play home/away.

But when you start comparing Indiana's schedule to the other teams in the conference...Iowa, Purdue, etc...then you really start to see how unbalanced they are.

Bottom line is, the way the schedules are now, it's difficult to get a true measure of who the best team in the conference is on a year-to-year basis.

Sure, that works when comparing who Indiana plays home/away vs. who they didn't play home/away.

But when you start comparing Indiana's schedule to the other teams in the conference...Iowa, Purdue, etc...then you really start to see how unbalanced they are.

Bottom line is, the way the schedules are now, it's difficult to get a true measure of who the best team in the conference is on a year-to-year basis.

Agreed, just saying if we had a true round robin.....

Here's a look at who everyone had/didn't have this year. I kind of agree with Dienhart that Sparty might have gotten the most favorable draw.....but Iowa and Maryland got much worse. I don't feel bad for Maryland though.....they lost at Minnesota, and dropped a home game to Wisconsin.

http://btn.com/2015/12/28/winners-and-losers-of-big-ten-hoops-unbalanced-schedule/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT