ADVERTISEMENT

Nothing I Hate Worse

iubhounds

All-American
Feb 15, 2002
Let's forget all the reasons for poor performance this team has and its coaches. It is what it is. BUT ... when IU is losing by 10 points, nothing I hate worse as an old man, lifetime IU fan, ex HS player ... than seeing two walk on players at the back of the IU huddle laughing as they turn away from the huddle to watch possibly the Wisconsin mascot doing something funny. (camera didn't stay long enough on the mascot)

OR .... when IU is really getting their asses kicked and the tv camera spans the IU bench, where I see Ware and Walker laughing about something.

Tell me I'm old, senile or 'get off my lawn" type of fan but as a competitor, laughing while losing just bugs the f*** out of me.

Let's forget all the reasons for poor performance this team has and its coaches. It is what it is. BUT ... when IU is losing by 10 points, nothing I hate worse as an old man, lifetime IU fan, ex HS player ... than seeing two walk on players at the back of the IU huddle laughing as they turn away from the huddle to watch possibly the Wisconsin mascot doing something funny. (camera didn't stay long enough on the mascot)

OR .... when IU is really getting their asses kicked and the tv camera spans the IU bench, where I see Ware and Walker laughing about something.

Tell me I'm old, senile or 'get off my lawn" type of fan but as a competitor, laughing while losing just bugs the f*** out of me.
You're definitely an old man, but you're also right. Vbg

You can't possibly have the necessary passion to win and therefore absolute dislike the feeling of losing, yet sit on the bench being emotionally detached from what's currently taking place. That to me shows a pure lack of awareness or understanding of what it truly takes to win.

A good team is racking their heads trying to find out what they're doing wrong. Instead what they're doing is showing us the game is going as they assumed. It's time to start looking into our path forward.

You can't possibly have the necessary passion to win and therefore absolute dislike the feeling of losing, yet be detached from what's currently taking place. That to me shows a pure lack of awareness or understanding of what it truly takes to win. It's time to start looking into our path forward.
Good AD's ALWAYS have a list of coaches, written on a card, kept in their pocket. That could be just a rumor though since I have never been an AD.

Good AD's ALWAYS have a list of coaches, written on a card, kept in their pocket. That could be just a rumor though since I have never been an AD.
Throw $5,500,000 at Beard and tell him
to retire on the top of college basketball. A nice $2million dollar raise, make it $6 if he wants it. He is the type of coach you give two sub 500 seasons to get his players in here and win IU #6. He and Cignetti would be the best two things IU has done since hiring Coach Knight. I really believe this.

to retire on the top of college basketball. A nice $2million dollar raise, make it $6 if he wants it. He is the type of coach you give two sub 500 seasons to get his players in here and win IU #6. He and Cignetti would be the best two things IU has done since hiring Coach Knight. I really believe this.
I agree. He isn’t a choir boy, but it’s going to take someone with an edge to them. And who has some personality with a track record of success that will attract players. Obviously tons of positives with this job. But lots of negatives as well. I’d take him or Pearl.

Couldn't agree more.............but then I'm an OG hard ass too.

In his first year at Ole Miss he is 15-2 with loses at #5 Tennessee and at LSU. He is a good coach with a history of winning and egotistical enough to KNOW he can win at IU and win big.

Would love Beard, but IF Whitten told Dolson “no on Fitz”, which has been written, then surely she’d say the same on Beard, right?

Reactions: Vern Pain

war-face-full-metal-jacket.gif

action-drama.gif

• Haha
Reactions: iubhounds

I'll tell you what pissed me off the most - Trey G doing a spin move in the lane and getting the ball stripped.

Trey is the son of a coach and a Senior. WTF is he doing, making that kind of move in a crowded lane? And it was early in the game, right before we started pissing the lead away.

That kind of shit just drives me up the wall. That and X's ridiculous jump shots - with that form, he should never be allowed to shoot anything other than a drive to the basket.

I'll tell you what pissed me off the most - Trey G doing a spin move in the lane and getting the ball stripped.

Trey is the son of a coach and a Senior. WTF is he doing, making that kind of move in a crowded lane? And it was early in the game, right before we started pissing the lead away.
That kind of shit just drives me up the wall. That and X's ridiculous jump shots - with that form, he should never be allowed to shoot anything other than a drive to the basket.
Did it at least twice last night. Happens pretty much every game. That said, I guess somebody has to try to create for themselves on occasion. Sadly, Trey might be the best IU has at that? Yikes.

Did it at least twice last night. Happens pretty much every game. That said, I guess somebody has to try to create for themselves on occasion. Sadly, Trey might be the best IU has at that? Yikes.
8 turnovers on steals alone. 2 by TG, 2 by MR. We stole the ball 3 times.

• Sad
Reactions: DANC and Vern Pain
It does, and he is.

I do think they need to let him initiate the offense a little more and push the pace some. I think X is incapable of that, but push it when you have Cupps and TG in the game, and also Gunn if he gets PT after last night.

There's a time to do it, but not bringing the ball up and going straight into the lane when there are 3 guys standing there.

He's proved he can be a valuable offensive weapon. But, like X, he's either on or off - very little in between. And he's a f'n Senior.

Reactions: Vern Pain
It does, and he is.

I do think they need to let him initiate the offense a little more and push the pace some. I think X is incapable of that, but push it when you have Cupps and TG in the game, and also Gunn if he gets PT after last night.
Johnson needs to be told his job is to play defense and distribute the ball. Drive it if he sees an opening.

Anything else and he's worthless. The first time he starts the flop or trying to act like he was fouled, sit his a$$ on the bench for the next 5 minutes.

He can be effective if he'll just simplify his game. I agree with Trey initiating the offense more, but we need a true PG. I'd even consider making Cupps a shooting guard - he's got the shot if he gets the ball in shooting position.

Beard is my up and by far #1 pick/only pick
But hiring Beard would essentially mean IU admits firing Knight was a mistake and lacked purpose.
Iu went woke with Myles in 2000 and its only gotten worse since then
Beard is my top choice, IF they do a complete background check and get an understanding of his explanation. What would be "acceptable" to me: It was a 1 time event after he was drinking and he's stopped drinking and is attending AA and has either separated from the GF or adjusted behaviors and lifestyles. Seems like the story I recall involved an argument with or about her 20+ year old daughter, and I could understand that getting emotionally charged and out of hand. But, I'd want to see contrition and what's changed to insure it doesn't happen again. If it's an ongoing behavior and problem for him, it won't be an isolated case and it won't be hard to find out by hiring investigators. But, I've never heard any of that, whereas there were many other rumblings and reports with Gregg Marshall for instance. If anger/alcohol/violence are a problem for Beard, it won't be hard to find out, nor will it be hard to identify if he knows he F'd up and has made changes to his life. I can forgive the latter.

Last edited:

You can't possibly have the necessary passion to win and therefore absolute dislike the feeling of losing, yet sit on the bench being emotionally detached from what's currently taking place. That to me shows a pure lack of awareness or understanding of what it truly takes to win.

A good team is racking their heads trying to find out what they're doing wrong. Instead what they're doing is showing us the game is going as they assumed. It's time to start looking into our path forward.
It is the era of participation trophies, soft to no discipline, everybody is equal, and on and on. Knight against keady….those were the days. i remember in the 80’s a friend of mine gave me one of his tix to the home game against purdue because his wife got so upset watching keady she couldn’t stand to be there. It was awesome! We blew them out in the first half and it was over. Knight and keady were awesome to watch on the sidelines!! Now……never mind.

Johnson needs to be told his job is to play defense and distribute the ball. Drive it if he sees an opening.

Anything else and he's worthless. The first time he starts the flop or trying to act like he was fouled, sit his a$$ on the bench for the next 5 minutes.

He can be effective if he'll just simplify his game. I agree with Trey initiating the offense more, but we need a true PG. I'd even consider making Cupps a shooting guard - he's got the shot if he gets the ball in shooting position.
I'd add shoot wide open 3s. He's 38% on 3s for his IU career.

I hear you!

Beard is my top choice, IF they do a complete background check and get an understanding of his explanation. What would be "acceptable" to me: It was a 1 time event after he was drinking and he's stopped drinking and is attending AA and has either separated from the GF or adjusted behaviors and lifestyles. Seems like the story I recall involved an argument with or about her 20+ year old daughter, and I could understand that getting emotionally charged and out of hand. But, I'd want to see contrition and what's changed to insure it doesn't happen again. If it's an ongoing behavior and problem for him, it won't be an isolated case and it won't be hard to find out by hiring investigators. But, I've never heard any of that, whereas there were many other rumblings and reports with Gregg Marshall for instance. If anger/alcohol/violence are a problem for Beard, it won't be hard to find out, nor will it be hard to identify if he knows he F'd up and has made changes to his life. I can forgive the latter.

Reactions: DANC
What kind of offense does Beard prefer? I'm not familiar with his teams.

my HS coaches would have run our assess all the next day until the smiles melted off our faces. Then held a 2 hour, "who wants to start and who wants to watch from the bench" type of scrimmage. Lord of the Flies style. Or maybe Thunderdome. Two goes in...one comes out.

You're not alone. I've seen it for a while now. Didn't realize losing could be so much fun.

As a former college basketball walk-on player I can tell you my D3 coach would've kicked me in the butt for not being 100% engaged. But this was the late 80s and D3. Here in the new century and at the D1 level...well...

I don’t think anyone on any of my teams would even think of smiling or laughing on the bench when we were getting beat. Another player(s) on the team would have been completely po’d if it did happen and would have handled it physically. No coach required.

Last edited:

I’m afraid our time has passed.

Reactions: iubhounds
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT