ADVERTISEMENT

I just received the results from my Covid-19 antibodies test

DrHoops

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2001
It was a test that University of Illinois Chicago was doing, so I volunteered. The results were that I already have the antibodies for Covid-19, so I did have it at one time and didn't know it. 7 weeks or so ago I had a fever for about 3 days and I just kept taking Tylenol and Advil. I just felt under the weather.

That must have been it, because on April 25th I did a drive through test to make sure I didn't have the virus. That came back negative. Given that I didn't have it, UIC wanted me to come in and do a blood test to see if I had the antibodies from earlier exposure. The results came back that I'm positive for the antibodies and the report says I did already have Covid-19 at some point.

Jeesh. I feel incredibly lucky. I'm hoping I'm immune now. I stayed in hibernation while I was sick, so I don't think I spread it to anyone. I hope, anyway. That concerns me.

It was a test that University of Illinois Chicago was doing, so I volunteered. The results were that I already have the antibodies for Covid-19, so I did have it at one time and didn't know it. 7 weeks or so ago I had a fever for about 3 days and I just kept taking Tylenol and Advil. I just felt under the weather.

That must have been it, because on April 25th I did a drive through test to make sure I didn't have the virus. That came back negative. Given that I didn't have it, UIC wanted me to come in and do a blood test to see if I had the antibodies from earlier exposure. The results came back that I'm positive for the antibodies and the report says I did already have Covid-19 at some point.

Jeesh. I feel incredibly lucky. I'm hoping I'm immune now. I stayed in hibernation while I was sick, so I don't think I spread it to anyone. I hope, anyway. That concerns me.
I would be shocked if my story was different. I returned from a business trip from Australia in February and felt like garbage for about two days. Had a cough for weeks but no other symptoms. Wife and kids never felt ill.

Yeah, that was pretty much my experience. I'm sure there's somewhere near you that's doing the same testing. I just had the blood drawn yesterday. The results came back just now. I'm floored.

I wonder if I can volunteer to be on the "front lines" doing something if I really am immune.

I would be shocked if my story was different. I returned from a business trip from Australia in February and felt like garbage for about two days. Had a cough for weeks but no other symptoms. Wife and kids never felt ill.

Early 40s
6’2
200 lbs
No smoke
Yes booze
Ran 5 miles with hills yesterday in 42:09. I’m concerned that I used to do it in my early 30s in about 38 minutes.
Don’t be concerned. That’s just age. I jumped from over 30 to over 40 soccer. You get a clear indication of aging in so doing. 42 mins with hills is impressive!

Reactions: sglowrider

That’s great news!

Don’t be concerned. That’s just age. I jumped from over 30 to over 40 soccer. You get a clear indication of aging in so doing. 42 mins with hills is impressive!

Age really makes no difference from the standpoint of how good exercise can feel. A 20 mile bike ride these days feels like a 50 mile ride of 15 or 20 years ago. That part never changes. However, I refuse to go electric like a lot of guys my age are going just to get more miles in. I’m optimistic enough that I bought my season ski pass for next year.

77 and overweight.

I would be cautious and even ask for a second test. There are a lot of false positives and better tests are apparently on their way. I you did have it, glad it was mild.

I was sick as shit at CES in Vegas and coughed for the next month. My test came back negative so I still have to hide.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/13/opinion/antibody-test-accuracy.html

Reactions: outside shooter
I can't give blood because some idiot down at the Taco Bell in Bloomington gave about 15 people Hep A during finals week. Me included. He didn't wash his hands after he took a dump and we all paid the price.

I believe they're using plasma with the antibodies from recovered people in experimental treatments. Google should help.

I can't give blood because some idiot down at the Taco Bell in Bloomington gave about 15 people Hep A during finals week. Me included. He didn't wash his hands after he took a dump and we all paid the price.

Lol people on this board eating at Arby’s and Taco Bell but afraid of Rona

I would be cautious and even ask for a second test. There are a lot of false positives and better tests are apparently on their way. I you did have it, glad it was mild.

I was sick as shit at CES in Vegas and coughed for the next month. My test came back negative so I still have to hide.

^ This

Several versions of the antibody tests were approved with minimal validation of false positive & false negative rates. Did they tell you if it was the Roche test? That is supposed to be the most definitive version, right now.

Tastes about the same. :eek: I haven't seen the movie. I will check that out for sure.

You sure it was hand washing? I've heard rumors about taking a dump and taco meat.

BTW, have you seen the movie Help?

Last edited:
The Abbott test was what they used. Supposedly it's been 99.9% accurate.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/08/stu...st-highly-likely-to-give-correct-results.html

https://www.massdevice.com/abbott-t...y-100-accuracy-of-its-covid-19-antibody-test/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...breast-milk-may-protect-infants-idUSKBN22K2GE

We could also suckle infected breast milk!

^ This

Several versions of the antibody tests were approved with minimal validation of false positive & false negative rates. Did they tell you if it was the Roche test? That is supposed to be the most definitive version, right now.

Last edited:
At least we are finally replacing the junk we received from the Chinese with tests that actually work.

I read an article about a month ago saying that Covid19 may have been getting passed around at CES. Lots of reports of severe coughs, etc...

I can't play anymore because of my degenerative right knee, I got from a Thai massage! And nothing sexy about it.:(

I can't play anymore because of my degenerative right knee, I got from a Thai massage! And nothing sexy about it.:(
That sucks!!! Although with each passing year it’s less enjoyable. Crazy how your touch can even go. Now it’s more about the beers afterward.

Hopefully you can still do straight line stuff. Jog etc.

That sucks!!! Although with each passing year it’s less enjoyable. Crazy how your touch can even go. Now it’s more about the beers afterward.

Hopefully you can still do straight line stuff. Jog etc.

Jogging is as bad. Swells up like after 100m. Then I start popping pills. Biking and elliptical machines (got a bowflex at home) are fine.
I played more footie at IU than I did in England! (Rugby is the gentleman's sport and soccer's for hooligan -- or at least the cultural perception then.)
We were campus champs and finals loser for all-campus/university(?) another year -- lost in the last few minutes by the dumbest goal ever. I still have the medallions somewhere.

The blood test... was it a pinprick or they drew if from your veins? Surprised they didn't do a PCR/RNA test by swabbing up your nose or back of your throat.

Yeah, that was pretty much my experience. I'm sure there's somewhere near you that's doing the same testing. I just had the blood drawn yesterday. The results came back just now. I'm floored.

I wonder if I can volunteer to be on the "front lines" doing something if I really am immune.
That's right. I had an incredibly embarrassing moment one time when I ran into a neighbor (a woman from the other side of the block) who happened to have the same breed of dog as me. So, we didn't know each other other than our dogs saying hello to each other maybe 3 times. Anyway, we were sans dogs and so I had to take an awkward 2 block walk with her. When we went our separate ways I said a word that started with a P and I inadvertently spit the hugest amount of saliva I have ever accidentally spit on someone right between the eyes. So embarrassing. If I had Covid, I could have infected her.

As you point out, that's the purpose of the masks. Avoiding stuff like that. We're not going into surgery.

Have seen that lady lately? :eek:

Ah good memories! At least you can cycle. So important to keep moving.

Jogging is as bad. Swells up like after 100m. Then I start popping pills. Biking and elliptical machines (got a bowflex at home) are fine.
I played more footie at IU than I did in England! (Rugby is the gentleman's sport and soccer's for hooligan -- or at least the cultural perception then.)
We were campus champs and finals loser for all-campus/university(?) another year -- lost in the last few minutes by the dumbest goal ever. I still have the medallions somewhere.
s

Ah good memories! At least you can cycle. So important to keep moving.

I have played organised sports since I was in the 2nd grade I think. Plus I have tough of ADD -- used to be ADHD but as you age, you can afford to drop on if the letters off the acronym! :(
But regardless, exercise and physical activities has always been part of my coping mechanism or lifestyle as it is now.

Gym classes are ok. Wall climbing machines are ok. Its just no heavy/natural weight-bearing exercises.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

I’m glad you’re safe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT