ADVERTISEMENT

I hate snakes

Bredo

Freshman
Dec 18, 2001
You would think at some point I would get used to seeing snakes in my yard, but that hasn't happened yet. I bought this house 2 years ago and have encountered them in my yard no less than 15 times (including today). These are just Black Rat snakes so they are about as lethal as earthworms, but no less terrifying for me. I'm more scared of a pansy 3' snake than I was jumping out of an airplane that took off from a remote "airport" with a grass runway.

What do you think the snake is going to do to you? It's more scared of you than you are of it. It's not going to come at you and try to bite you unless you're bothering it, which it sounds like you're not doing. I've got them around my yard/house, too. They only startle me if I come right up on one without seeing it first. But a rabbit would do the same thing to me in that same situation. And remember, those snakes keep rodents away. I'd rather have a couple snakes hanging around outside than mice and rats and what-not nesting inside my house and causing problems.

Reactions: C-$
You would think at some point I would get used to seeing snakes in my yard, but that hasn't happened yet. I bought this house 2 years ago and have encountered them in my yard no less than 15 times (including today). These are just Black Rat snakes so they are about as lethal as earthworms, but no less terrifying for me. I'm more scared of a pansy 3' snake than I was jumping out of an airplane that took off from a remote "airport" with a grass runway.

I hate snakes too. Have nightmares at least once a month about them. Doesn't matter if they are harmless or not, it's an irrational fear. Detest them.

I hate snakes too. Have nightmares at least once a month about them. Doesn't matter if they are harmless or not, it's an irrational fear. Detest them.
Snakes in a dream are phallic symbols.. .. ugh ... I'll go no further. vbg

What do you think the snake is going to do to you?

Have you never seen Tremors? Kevin Bacon thinks Bredo should fear for his life.

tremors-film-poster.jpg

I live in NC and have a creek that borders our house. Frankly, I'm shocked I don't see more snakes. Saw a black racer earlier this year and will see water snakes down in the creek a few times a year. Twice I've seen copperheads (beheaded 1 because it had gotten stuck in some garden netting we tried), which is why I'm all the more thankful when I do see the occasional king snake. Once I saw 2 snakes and assumed they were mating because they were all entangled, but as I looked closer I realized it was a king snake swallowing a smaller snake headfirst. I think I've only seen 1 or 2 rat snakes in the 10+ years we've been here. If you're seeing that many rat snakes I'd say it has a nest in or near your yard, and/or you have a pretty severe rodent problem. Be thankful for rat and king snakes; they are likely keeping away things you'd like to see even less (more snakes or rodents).

I know they are harmless. I also know they keep pests and rodents away.............but I also know they frighten the hell out of me and I don't know why. Definitely an irrational fear.

I know they are harmless. I also know they keep pests and rodents away.............but I also know they frighten the hell out of me and I don't know why. Definitely an irrational fear.
Clowns.

Its always been clowns for me.

Although that may not be irrational.

I live in NC and have a creek that borders our house. Frankly, I'm shocked I don't see more snakes. Saw a black racer earlier this year and will see water snakes down in the creek a few times a year. Twice I've seen copperheads (beheaded 1 because it had gotten stuck in some garden netting we tried), which is why I'm all the more thankful when I do see the occasional king snake. Once I saw 2 snakes and assumed they were mating because they were all entangled, but as I looked closer I realized it was a king snake swallowing a smaller snake headfirst. I think I've only seen 1 or 2 rat snakes in the 10+ years we've been here. If you're seeing that many rat snakes I'd say it has a nest in or near your yard, and/or you have a pretty severe rodent problem. Be thankful for rat and king snakes; they are likely keeping away things you'd like to see even less (more snakes or rodents).

I'm certain there is a nest in my yard, but I'm in no hurry to go locate it. I've seen a large snake several times so I presume that is the mother. I live 2 blocks from the intracoastal waterway in South Florida and my back yard looks like a tropical forest so it isn't a surprise that they are here. I thought the landscaping was cool when I bought the house, but now I realize the excessive maintenance is just a pain in the arse.

FWIW, I hate landscaping more than snakes! I try and have as maintenance free a yard as possible. My yardwork has gotten very easy for 2 reasons: my son turned 14 and he inherited cutting the grass; that was 2 years ago. And 2 years ago, my previously housebound wife, who had probably cut the grass once, in the 20+ yrs we'd been married and who's landscaping interest had been limited to showing me pictures of what she liked and then me trying to reproduce it, became a Master Gardener. Now, she spends most of every weekend out in the yard and my son cuts the grass. I sit on the porch and supervise, except when called in to consult with either, and write checks for the sh*t my wife orders.

I'm certain there is a nest in my yard, but I'm in no hurry to go locate it. I've seen a large snake several times so I presume that is the mother. I live 2 blocks from the intracoastal waterway in South Florida and my back yard looks like a tropical forest so it isn't a surprise that they are here. I thought the landscaping was cool when I bought the house, but now I realize the excessive maintenance is just a pain in the arse.

Well, since you do hate them, follow it to see where it's nest is. Often they nest in tree holes, or holes under stuff that you might be able to seal up when it's out, and then you might see it a whole lot less.

I'm the same way. My wife thinks it's hilarious that I'm such a pansy, but I'm still not half as bad as her when she sees a spider.

Clowns.

Its always been clowns for me.

Although that may not be irrational.

That's a perfectly logical fear honestly. Anytime a grown man feels the need to dress up in makeup and make others laugh is both twisted and really screwed up.

I saw a long-thick purple salamander in my drive-way this morning.

Reminded me why I don't want to live near snakes and thankful I didn't see any in Vegas last week.

Why were you walking outside with no pants on?

Yup. Had written, "Then I went back inside and put my pants on." But deleted it since I didn't want that to confuse my point that there really was a salamander and they are so much better than snakes. Although it did make me jump back, I knew I was safe.

I also knew you wouldn't let me down.

Reactions: Capitol Hoosier
I've always thought snakes are awesome. When I was a kid my mom did a lot of volunteer work at the local zoo. She did the Zoomobile thing at schools and retirement homes, and my brothers and I helped her frequently. We'd out turtles, owls, ferrets, and critters like that to show to people, and there were usually 5-7 foot boa constrictors too.

I had a boa of my own at IU that I got when it was a year old. I had it until it was 10. It was about 7 feet long and about 30 po

When I was about three or four, I was hanging out with my mom while she gardened. A very large rattlesnake came out of nowhere and advanced toward me. She took its head off with her hoe.
The next summer rattlers killed my dad's dog.
We moved shortly thereafter.

When I was about three or four, I was hanging out with my mom while she gardened. A very large rattlesnake came out of nowhere and advanced toward me. She took its head off with her hoe.

Where were you that rattlers were so prevalent? I've never seen one in the wild, but I'm sure I heard one while at a rest stop in NC/VA area coming back from the cost. There was a definite rattling coming from a bush, but I couldn't see a snake. I guess it could have been something else, and I'm sure that would be a pretty effective mimic defense, but it sounded just like what I've heard on nature shows all my life. I wasn't too curious to push it.

I like snakes, and even poisonous ones don't alarm me unless I surprise them. I was fishing one spring on the Driftwood River down near Columbus and some kind of snake was apparently sunning itself in the trees along the river. We were wading and I bet at last 6 times a snake came pinballing down out of the branches overhead and dropped into the river, or on us. Now that I didn't like.

I was fishing one spring on the Driftwood River down near Columbus and some kind of snake was apparently sunning itself in the trees along the river. We were wading and I bet at last 6 times a snake came pinballing down out of the branches overhead and dropped into the river, or on us. Now that I didn't like.

Something tells me a Darwin award is in your future. Most people would have relocated after the 1st time that happened.

Yup. Had written, "Then I went back inside and put my pants on." But deleted it since I didn't want that to confuse my point that there really was a salamander and they are so much better than snakes. Although it did make me jump back, I knew I was safe.

I also knew you wouldn't let me down.
Wondered how long it would take this thread to get to trouser snakes... Took longer than I thought

You mom sounds scary. Her hoe even more so.

Where were you that rattlers were so prevalent? I've never seen one in the wild, but I'm sure I heard one while at a rest stop in NC/VA area coming back from the cost. There was a definite rattling coming from a bush, but I couldn't see a snake. I guess it could have been something else, and I'm sure that would be a pretty effective mimic defense, but it sounded just like what I've heard on nature shows all my life. I wasn't too curious to push it.

I like snakes, and even poisonous ones don't alarm me unless I surprise them. I was fishing one spring on the Driftwood River down near Columbus and some kind of snake was apparently sunning itself in the trees along the river. We were wading and I bet at last 6 times a snake came pinballing down out of the branches overhead and dropped into the river, or on us. Now that I didn't like.
Rural LaGrange county. It's at the edge of their range, but I think our house was just close to a population. Also had wild pigs running around during the summer. It was strange.

Rural LaGrange county. It's at the edge of their range, but I think our house was just close to a population. Also had wild pigs running around during the summer. It was strange.
Timber Rattler or a Massasauga? The later can be found as far north as Michigan.

I wouldn't have known at the time but I assume it was a massasauga, simply based on geography.

Smaller and dark? Timbers tend to be good sized. My best friend as a teenager eventually became a herpetologist. No dorks, it's not the study of herpes. As a teen he had a huge collection of snakes and lizards. His house stunk, badly. He used to hunt snakes and other reptiles to sell to a shop on Wells St. (which is no longer there) . IIRC the massasauga isn't a true rattler, or is a sub species of that family. I may be wrong,. We saw them around Claypool once. He wanted to capture one badly but couldn't. The dude was freakin insane. He dived into the swamp at Franke Park once to get a snapping turtle...

I grew up around snakes. My brother loved them and caught them and kept them in his room. He even caught 5' diamond back rattlers several times.

I have no fear of snakes at all. They are pretty interesting and it doesn't even hurt if they bite you. I got bit a few times when I was 10+, it's not pleasant, but it's not that painful.

I grew up around snakes. My brother loved them and caught them and kept them in his room. He even caught 5' diamond back rattlers several times.

I have no fear of snakes at all. They are pretty interesting and it doesn't even hurt if they bite you. I got bit a few times when I was 10+, it's not pleasant, but it's not that painful.
Until some girl picks one up incorrectly and it chits on you ... which may possibly the grossest thing I've ever experienced.

Smaller and dark? Timbers tend to be good sized. My best friend as a teenager eventually became a herpetologist. No dorks, it's not the study of herpes. As a teen he had a huge collection of snakes and lizards. His house stunk, badly. He used to hunt snakes and other reptiles to sell to a shop on Wells St. (which is no longer there) . IIRC the massasauga isn't a true rattler, or is a sub species of that family. I may be wrong,. We saw them around Claypool once. He wanted to capture one badly but couldn't. The dude was freakin insane. He dived into the swamp at Franke Park once to get a snapping turtle...
Massasaugas are a separate but related genus to timbers, but they are both rattlesnakes.

This was more than 30 years ago. I honestly don't remember, but I don't think timbers come that far north.

I think I saw a massasauga in my driveway last year, but he was partially covered by leaves so I can't be sure. Could have simply been a different snake with similar coloration. A lot of non-rattlers will mimic rattler coloration for defense.

Massasaugas are a separate but related genus to timbers, but they are both rattlesnakes.

This was more than 30 years ago. I honestly don't remember, but I don't think timbers come that far north.

I think I saw a massasauga in my driveway last year, but he was partially covered by leaves so I can't be sure. Could have simply been a different snake with similar coloration. A lot of non-rattlers will mimic rattler coloration for defense.

I'm enjoying you talking to IS on the freebie. How you have to will to not tell him he's stupid is beyond me. It takes me one or two sentences and I give up talking to him and just point out how dumb he is. Warison is worse he doesn't wait the two sentences. IS is annoying as piss.

Yea, I just remembered where LaGrange was.. lol

I'm enjoying you talking to IS on the freebie. How you have to will to not tell him he's stupid is beyond me. It takes me one or two sentences and I give up talking to him and just point out how dumb he is. Warison is worse he doesn't wait the two sentences. IS is annoying as piss.
I don't have a lot of respect for the intelligence level of the Freebie as a whole. But I don't post for the benefit of the Freebie posters. I post for the sake if the silent lurker who might read and actually learn something. LOL.

Something tells me a Darwin award is in your future. Most people would have relocated after the 1st time that happened.

We were wade fishing and were basically pinned against the shore, we'd walked about a mile downriver and there was really no where else to walk. The center of the river was too deep and fast and the undergrowth and steep bank kept us along the shore under the tree canopy. As I said, snakes don't bother me, I knew they weren't poisonous and if you think about 6 snakes dropping over the course of a 5-6 hour fishing trip, it wasn't a big deal. As long as they didn't land on us or too close, it was kind of funny.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT