ADVERTISEMENT

I agree with Joel Klatt

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
Joel Klatt thinks that even if Ohio State misses a second game they should still play in the Big Ten Championship game, and I agree with him.

First of all, right now the nuts have only cancelled one game so there is a lot of hand-wringing over something that may not even happen. But if it does happen I think the best team from each division should play for the Big Ten Title and right now those teams are Ohio State and Northwestern. I don't want the Hoosiers to play in a game that will always have an asterisks by it - that's silliness. I don't like the idea of sliding into something that wasn't earned.

The Big Ten changed their mind about playing this year so it's not impossible that they could reevaluate this as well.

Joel Klatt thinks that even if Ohio State misses a second game they should still play in the Big Ten Championship game, and I agree with him.

First of all, right now the nuts have only cancelled one game so there is a lot of hand-wringing over something that may not even happen. But if it does happen I think the best team from each division should play for the Big Ten Title and right now those teams are Ohio State and Northwestern. I don't want the Hoosiers to play in a game that will always have an asterisks by it - that's silliness. I don't like the idea of sliding into something that wasn't earned.

The Big Ten changed their mind about playing this year so it's not impossible that they could reevaluate this as well.
I dont want to get in that way either, BUT, you cant go changing rules on the fly when it affects the marquee program. They can still get in the CFP.

I disagree because they need to follow the rules set for the season come what may happen not change the rules in mid- season.
Yes! and IF we win out, that is a huge IF, we will have survived the most difficult schedule in the B1G and earned the opportunity to play for the 2020 title!!!
For the B1G this season has been largely about O$U being able to compete for the national title. IF, for whatever reason they only play 5, but beat Michigan in the final, and whoever, if they can and do play in the silly 9th game (not for B1G title), they would likely still be in the NC playoff.

Reactions: TominDallas
No one likes winning with an asterisk. But the rules call for playing in a minimum of 6 games to qualify and if OSU does not play next week, they will only play in 5. OSU may be the best team in the BIG. And they may be one of the 4 best teams in the country. But you can't change the rules at the end of the season just to make it good for OSU.

Look at the professional leagues....the NBA, NHL and MLB set up their post-seasons and they stuck to them. Some may point to the NFL considering adding an 8th playoff team in each conference as an example of a change in format mid-season. But the difference with the NFL adding an 8th team and taking OSU over IU is that the NFL would not be excluding the rightful winner, they would just be adding an extra team.

If IU wins 2 of their last 3, and OSU doesnt play next week, IU should be in the BIG championship. IF the selection committee wants to pick Ohio State as one of 4 best teams for playoff, that would be fine (and quite possible). But the NW/IU winner would be the rightful BIG champion.

I agree and disagree. It should have never been a rule. The BIG has really fumbled this season. Lots of mistakes by the league office. However it's tough to change the rule now. If any other team was facing this problem they wouldn't even be debating this now.

I will be shocked if this 6 game threshold isn't amended by the league. BT Can't have IU or MD in the championship game, especially now that UW is likely out from the West.

Should have been the rule, but it isn't.

Bending it to accommodate Ahia is simply BS

Rules are rules. Either way, having a tram play in a conference championship that didn’t play games on the schedule, considered best team or not, will have an asterisk this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT