ADVERTISEMENT

How do you deal with Islam?

Holy shit that's a disturbing thread. This one might be worse:

This is Exhibit 1,001 for why abject relativism about cultures is a bankrupt theory.
Child marriage is bad, but presenting it as some sort of Muslim phenomenon is grossly misleading.

Child marriage is bad, but presenting it as some sort of Muslim phenomenon is grossly misleading.

Am I misreading the link you posted? As more Muslim immigrants have fled to Lebanon from Palestinian Territories and Syria, the % of underage girls being Wed is going up. Wouldn’t that correlate with it being a religious issue? Lebanon is becoming less Christian Arab iirc

Am I misreading the link you posted? As more Muslim immigrants have fled to Lebanon from Palestinian Territories and Syria, the % of underage girls being Wed is going up. Wouldn’t that correlate with it being a religious issue? Lebanon is becoming less Christian Arab iirc
Yes, you're misreading it. It's an issue among refugees. Correlation is not causation.

Shrink the "culture" then, to compare things to. I also wouldn't say all Mormons favor polygamy and child marriage. But those sects that do are worse than those that do not.

I agree not every Islamic culture is bad. Some more modernized (can you say Westernized? I don't know) versions have eliminated this practice, I am sure.

Shrink the "culture" then, to compare things to. I also wouldn't say all Mormons favor polygamy and child marriage. But those sects that do are worse than those that do not.

I agree not every Islamic culture is bad. Some more modernized (can you say Westernized? I don't know) versions have eliminated this practice, I am sure.
The fact that Lebanese television is airing the show exposing this stuff is instructive.

just as an fyi kody brown has officially abandoned polygamy for a monogamous marriage with robin. one of the more surprising events of 2023 as we look back on the year

Anyone who wants to learn some actual Middle Eastern history could look here.
Nobody’s blameless, certainly not Israel.
I don't think anyone is claiming anyone is "blameless."

That article is quite slanted, telling one side of the story and leaving out quite a few salient details that rob the Israeli actions of their context.

The organization is clearly biased. And worse--Canadian. There are only three things to rely on Canadians for: comedic actors, curling, and hockey.

If you'd like to hear more of the context from the Israeli side, I recommend recent podcasts from Bari Weiss at Honestly, and Russ Roberts at Econtalk. Two I found very informative (although both are biased, too):

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Anyone who wants to learn some actual Middle Eastern history could look here.
Nobody’s blameless, certainly not Israel.

Lol you cannot be serious

CJPME acknowledges that our offices, located in Montreal, are on the unceded, unsurrendered Territory of the Kanienʼkehá꞉ka (Mohawk), whose presence here reaches back to time immemorial. CJPME recognizes the Kanienʼkehá꞉ka as the customary keepers and defenders of the St. Laurence River Watershed and its tributaries. We honour their long history of welcoming many Nations to this beautiful territory and uphold and uplift the voice and values of our Host Nation. Further, CJPME respects and affirms the inherent and Treaty Rights of all Indigenous Peoples across this land. CJPME has and will continue to honour the commitments to self-determination and sovereignty we have made to Indigenous Nations and Peoples. CJPME also acknowledges the historical oppression of lands, cultures and the original Peoples in what we now know as Canada and fervently believes that its work should contribute to the healing and decolonizing journey we all share together.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
Twitter isn’t telling me how to feel.

It really is. You’ve convinced yourself Gazans — even the kids — don’t deserve to live because you’ve seen evidence (via tweets) that they are not humans.

I remember similar anti- Muslim sentiment in the US after 9/11, as if Afghani and Iraqi babies were training the hijackers.

Stupid then and stupid now.

I think how you answer the following question might determine in which camp you reside in the current culture wars:

Which group is more dangerous in the United States:

True White Supremecists

or

True Decolonizer/anti-"Whiteness" believers

I think most on both sides who can easily answer that question would also think it ridiculous to compare the two, because they think one is just an invented danger by the other political party.

I think how you answer the following question might determine in which camp you reside in the current culture wars:

True White Supremecists

or

I think most on both sides who can easily answer that question would also think it ridiculous to compare the two, because they think one is just an invented danger by the other political party.
Imagine being old Rudy’s fam at Xmas. Hon what time are we expecting rudy? You know bill and Joanne from work are stopping by too

• Haha
Reactions: BradStevens
It really is. You’ve convinced yourself Gazans — even the kids — don’t deserve to live because you’ve seen evidence (via tweets) that they are not humans.

I remember similar anti- Muslim sentiment in the US after 9/11, as if Afghani and Iraqi babies were training the hijackers.

Meh, I'd leave Hamas alone. At least they just come out and say they hate America. That makes them much more trustworthy than many Americans.

True White Supremecists

or

I think we can solidly answer that question with data if we’re talking actual physical danger

I’m not aware of any domestic anti-colonizer groups that are regularly killing people in the US but maybe I’m missing something. They seem like a younger more prone to property damage-type crowd.

I also don’t think everyone who is anti-colonizer is also anti-white. I’m an example.

Last edited:

I bet if we gave them jobs and were accepting of them that everything would be all better.

I think we can solidly answer that question with data if we’re talking actual physical danger

I’m not aware of any domestic anti-colonizer groups that are regularly killing people in the US but maybe I’m missing something. They seem like a younger more prone to property damage-type crowd.

I also don’t think everyone who is anti-colonizer is also anti-white. I’m an example.

Decolonize yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT