ADVERTISEMENT

Hope Woody hasn't lost

I'm all for the punishment but one has to question where the teams leadership is when 5 players are suspended.

Reactions: IUNorth
What part of 5 players suspended in a key game do you not understand?
Woody isn't letting the team run the show like past coaches but the goal should be to have an environment that eliminates the need for large scale suspensions. Only time will tell.

I'm all for the punishment but one has to question where the teams leadership is when 5 players are suspended.
Yep. Kudos to Woody for doing something.

It would be nice though to have players that cared enough not to make whatever decisions they made and jeopardize everyone’s season.

Sad that 3 of them are old enough to be seniors (remaining eligibility notwithstanding). It will hurt us but I hope Woody drops the hammer and suspends them 3-5 games.

Durr didn’t play a few games ago, If it was a discipline issue I hope he is dismissed from the team.

Woody isn't letting the team run the show like past coaches but the goal should be to have an environment that eliminates the need for large scale suspensions. Only time will tell.
He will force accountability. He has made that clear. They will either fall in line or be gone. I suspect 2-3 of that group will not be back next year.

Slide is on, already out scored in the second half 15-5... Bet a cookie this team misses the tourney.

Slide is on, already out scored in the second half 15-5... Bet a cookie this team misses the tourney.
They are trying but those five players really put them in a hole.
Absolutely
I mean honestly if we lose this i am not sure i even want those five back. Sure we need them but its just so sampson era type guys. Maybe they are not iu material.

For the Selfish Five I'd have a yellow 0-1 dated decal put above their lockers. Running steps to improve decision making wouldn't be out of line.

Massive message sent to the team, recruits and recruit's parents.

If you are going to have the honor of wearing the IU jersey, you are going to do the right things. This was likely just curfew and he put the hammer down.

Woody was asked by Don in the post game interview if players would learn something from this game and he referred back to the players that played. I think Don was wanting comment on what the suspended players might learn from this game. Woodson said he was proud of those who played, having given it their all. He did mention TJD missing some opportunities underneath.

My thoughts now....again, TJD is a good dunker and decent rebounder but not a good finisher if not dunking. A lot of his non dunks seem like wild throws to the basket. He lacks "touch". Miller Kopp was a big disappointment in this one. I'm beginning to think Geronimo is limited in natural basketball finesse.. I'd feel better about his IU future if he was only a sophomore, like Bates. That said, the boy can really jump.

I think this team has some discipline issues with certain players. It might be good to "clean house" after another season of missing the NCAA tournament. This is a frustrating team for fans. We deserve better. In the final analysis, it will go down as a very mediocre season, highlighted only by squeaking out a victory over Purdue at home.

Massive message sent to the team, recruits and recruit's parents.

If you are going to have the honor of wearing the IU jersey, you are going to do the right things. This was likely just curfew and he put the hammer down.

That's great and all.... but I recall both the prior failed coaches suspending plenty of players for games too. Hell of a lot of good it did. They were all back on the floor in their normal spots within a game, or so.

We saw some players on the floor tonight that were proud to be out there. That should be the default team, the rest can earn their way back - maybe. If we just revert back to the same lineup, I'll chalk it up to more of the same bullshit we saw under prior regimes.

That's great and all.... but I recall both the prior failed coaches suspending plenty of players for games too. Hell of a lot of good it did. They were all back on the floor in their normal spots within a game, or so.

We saw some players on the floor tonight that were proud to be out there. That should be the default team, the rest can earn their way back - maybe. If we just revert back to the same lineup, I'll chalk it up to more of the same bullshit we saw under prior regimes.
As a leader you send the message and then regroup as a team. You move on with a stronger better culture and start the players that should start. No coach (IMHO) since Knight would have done what Woody did tonight.

As a leader you send the message and then regroup as a team. You move on with a stronger better culture and start the players that should start. No coach (IMHO) since Knight would have done what Woody did tonight.

Hope so. Instead I see a team that got embarrassed at home by Illinois, responding by going out and partying on the next road trip.... in a game they really needed to win.

Some teams could regroup... most will unravel. It's clear a lot of them don't give a fk.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo

I would pay to see Eli Holman throw a potted plant at Woody.

Hope so. Instead I see a team that got embarrassed at home by Illinois, responding by going out and partying on the next road trip.... in a game they really needed to win.

Some teams could regroup... most will unravel. It's clear a lot of them don't give a fk.
This is the root of it all for me. As you put it, got embarrassed, again, on national TV at home. Any team that would have any chance to do anything worth rooting for late in this season, would have dug in, come together, and focused on getting better and playing their best tonight.

The fact that we had that many guys doing whatever they were doing. With 2 of them being our starting back court, and 1 other being an upperclassman that has already had discipline issues…

Well, its tough to see a team like that rallying.

We still have that chance. Our remaining schedule is a nice blend of winnable games and big opportunities. But man, how does Woody pull it all back together?!

I hope Race and Trayce take them to the woodshed when they get back to Bloomington and kick some ass.
They won’t do that. It’s not their personality at all, either one of them.
IU desperately needs an alpha male (or a couple) of them to provide the mental toughness. and on-court leadership. We don’t have that, unfortunately.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT