ADVERTISEMENT

Heroin's comin' back in a big effin way ...

Warison

Hall of Famer
Dec 13, 2010
I'm in my early 40's. Back when I was experimenting LSD and shrooms were about has far as the burnouts were going. I had never even known anybody that even heard of a way to get heroin. It was basically just a drug you heard about in movies and from rock stars.

Fast forward 20 yrs, and I know about five 20 something's that are all jacked up on this stuff. And they ain't rock stars.

What happened here?

Is heroin the new marijuana now?

I think it's getting more difficult people to get pain medicine scripts so they're heading to the streets to get their fix. I could be wrong.

I'm in my early 40's. Back when I was experimenting LSD and shrooms were about has far as the burnouts were going. I had never even known anybody that even heard of a way to get heroin. It was basically just a drug you heard about in movies and from rock stars.

Fast forward 20 yrs, and I know about five 20 something's that are all jacked up on this stuff. And they ain't rock stars.

What happened here?

As a high school teacher, I've seen it first-hand. Heroin is cheap and very easy to find. Crazy

What happened here?

That's some scary shit there bro'...........

Sidebar: #2 daughter asks me the other night.... "Dad, what do you know about Peyote' "??? I tell her what I know. "Did you ever try it?"...... "Uh, I don't remember"(I lie).

I'm gonna' have to have a talk with her really soon.

McHoop

What happened here?

It's been 'back' for a long while now. It's been devastating families in Indianapolis and the surrounding suburbs for several years. Look up stats on heroin overdose deaths in the area, its alarming. There was a recent bill passed allowing easier access to some drugs that reverse the effects of an overdose. Also, most first responders now carry Narcan kits to use if they come upon an overdose.

The reason why it has made such a comeback is a whole different discussion. War is expensive!

It's been 'back' for a long while now. It's been devastating families in Indianapolis and the surrounding suburbs for several years. Look up stats on heroin overdose deaths in the area, its alarming. There was a recent bill passed allowing easier access to some drugs that reverse the effects of an overdose. Also, most first responders now carry Narcan kits to use if they come upon an overdose.

The reason why it has made such a comeback is a whole different discussion. War is expensive!

This. Anybody that thinks its back now has had their head in the sand for the last decade.

What happened here?

We invaded Afghanistan and started a war on drugs there. And, just like any other place where a war on drugs is started production increases exponentially.

This. Anybody that thinks its back now has had their head in the sand for the last decade.

It wasn't as prevalent in the states until recently. Like everything else Indiana is 6 years behind the coasts. The Russians and Euros have been complaining about our Afghani heroin since we invaded.

Mexicans are also getting into the heroin game due to American growers taking the marketshare of cannabis production.

As a high school teacher, I've seen it first-hand. Heroin is cheap and very easy to find. Crazy
Bingo. It's usually economic as far as people's decisions go. The reason why crack got so big was because it was cheaper than cocaine. One of the problems with some of the heroine now is that it is very high grade, meaning that you can easily overdose on it. Several moths ago there was a story out of the Fort where there were a lot of deaths attributed to overdosing on heroine.

It wasn't as prevalent in the states until recently. Like everything else Indiana is 6 years behind the coasts. The Russians and Euros have been complaining about our Afghani heroin since we invaded.

Mexicans are also getting into the heroin game due to American growers taking the marketshare of cannabis production.

Nah... I knew of suburban and Rural kids in Indiana getting into 7-8 years ago--politicians', judges', and executives' kids. Occasionally you would read about cheerleaders or football players, in high school, getting caught with it at school or on a bus. An NFL coach's kid died of a high profile died of an overdose about 5 years ago.

It was the most common drug for serious addicts I saw when I practiced. Meth was probably a distant second if you add herion and pills together.

I really can't fathom what would possess dumbass kids to purchase heroin off the streets. That is absolutely out of the blue. It's not like as a precursor, they all have easy access to opiates in mom and dad's medicine cabinet.

Nah... I knew of suburban and Rural kids in Indiana getting into 7-8 years ago--politicians', judges', and executives' kids. Occasionally you would read about cheerleaders or football players, in high school, getting caught with it at school or on a bus. An NFL coach's kid died of a high profile died of an overdose about 5 years ago.

It was the most common drug for serious addicts I saw when I practiced. Meth was probably a distant second if you add herion and pills together.
We invaded Afghanistan 14 years ago. Still, not what I was saying. It has been around since we invaded or soon after but not like the last 5 years or so. It's almost an epidemic.

Dumbass.....

crack is made from cocaine generally by mixing it with baking soda and water.

It's no cheaper, just more potent, more addictive and packaged smaller.

C'mon, can't you give him a little credit for at least writing that instead of The reason why crack got so big was because the gays started to get all up in God's face with it in the 80s.?

The day that I bring an OD-ing botch over to your house, then I give her the shot.

TEHtee1MHQDFC.gif

What happened here?

It ain't "coming back", it's here. Central Indiana is littered with it. I run at least one OD every shift and we use Narcan like we use Oxygen anymore. And we are considered a smaller city. Bigger cities run ODs all the time. I know medics that run as many heroin ODs as they do difficulty breathing calls every shift now. The amount of 20-somethings killing themselves on this stuff is insane.

And it's not just an Indiana problem. I saw a news story out of West Virginia. A backwoods mountain town. A guy had been a paramedic for 5 years has run over 8000 heroin ODs in that time. Those are just crazy numbers. Idk, if it's the new marijuana, but it's a major epidemic in society and it's not slowing down.

Reactions: OldChargey
It ain't "coming back", it's here. Central Indiana is littered with it. I run at least one OD every shift and we use Narcan like we use Oxygen anymore. And we are considered a smaller city. Bigger cities run ODs all the time. I know medics that run as many heroin ODs as they do difficulty breathing calls every shift now. The amount of 20-somethings killing themselves on this stuff is insane.

And it's not just an Indiana problem. I saw a news story out of West Virginia. A backwoods mountain town. A guy had been a paramedic for 5 years has run over 8000 heroin ODs in that time. Those are just crazy numbers. Idk, if it's the new marijuana, but it's a major epidemic in society and it's not slowing down.
Dude, come on. Does that math make sense to you? 8,000 in 5 years? In a backwoods town? That's 4-5 per night, EVERY night, 365 days per year. That's complete nonsense.

Reactions: mike41703
I had a girlfriend whose brother was a heroin addict. I'm not sure if he every got over it. He was a mellow dude to hang out with, that's for sure. Barely moved off the couch.

Never had any interest in it. Beer and Marijuana are plenty for me.

Tried some other things, but if you are going to catch a buzz, cannabis is the way to go.

Reactions: T.M.P.

What happened here?

Avon lost.
Marlo won.

Reactions: Eppy99
Dude, come on. Does that math make sense to you? 8,000 in 5 years? In a backwoods town? That's 4-5 per night, EVERY night, 365 days per year. That's complete nonsense.
It's not.....it's THAT bad. I'm not exaggerating and my math isn't wrong. The I-64 corridor between Hunington and Charleston, West Virginia seems to be the hardest hit area. Google search it. Even Obama is involved. Heroin is killing more people in West Virginia than some Cancers.

Last edited:
My wife who is a physician tells me all the time the number of people who come to her trying to get pain meds. People in this country are so addicted to pain meds and the docs are not willing to put their careers on the line anymore for these addicted persons. Plus with higher deductibles it's hard to afford even the drugs that are legit.
Epi pens used to cost like $65 now they're like $400. Sorry getting side tracked.

Back to the pain meds. If you didn't read the Sanjay Gupta articles I linked he says 80% of the worlds pain meds are consumed in the US. So add that up with the meds being expensive and now hard to get and you get addicts looking for a cheaper and more accessible drug like heroin.

This is correct. A decade ago the 20 somethings I knew were 10 somethings and in the last 10 yrs I've gotten married and been raising a kid. So my heads been up my ass on the hip drugs of choice lately.

I really can't fathom what would possess dumbass kids to purchase heroin off the streets. That is absolutely out of the blue. It's not like as a precursor, they all have easy access to opiates in mom and dad's medicine cabinet.
I can't fathom dumb ass kids being dumb asses.

Nah, I don't think the heroin epidemic is related to difficulty in getting pain meds, at least for a significant number of users. Here in da Region, heroin is a huge problem in Porter County - 66 OD deaths in five years (that they know of...). And, it's high school kids into college age kids doing it, the majority of whom I assume are still covered on their parent's insurance policies.

I also find it interesting that its seemingly more popular with more affluent young people, as Porter County is predominantly wealthier and better educated than neighboring Lake County, but has a bigger heroin problem.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...cle_b9c6e760-a436-5ddd-a5d6-f4a9c7872e17.html

When I was in the hospital in Tampa they gave me fentanyl for pain, and I'm glad that stuff is tightly regulated. It was really good. I'd get a quick rush, and then pass out for a couple of hours. I wonder how many addicts used to be in legit pain, and had to turn to heroin to alleviate it. After having lived in West Virginia for a couple of years, it's not surprising that heroin is a huge problem there. I would talk to classmates that were actually from West Virginia and what I found was shocking. I spoke to one girl that graduated with a class of ~90 people. Of those 90 people, maybe 10 went to college, and everybody else stayed in town. Probably got addicted to drugs bc there's no future in those small towns in Appalachia.

That's some scary shit there bro'...........

Sidebar: #2 daughter asks me the other night.... "Dad, what do you know about Peyote' "??? I tell her what I know. "Did you ever try it?"...... "Uh, I don't remember"(I lie).

I'm gonna' have to have a talk with her really soon.

McHoop

Time to sharpen some reflective listening skills instead of providing direct answers.

"Sugar, I think you asked me about peyote, is that right?" (Yes.) "That's an interesting topic . . . why do you ask?"

It's more important for you to learn about her present than she learns about your, um, past.

What happened here?

SopeJr#1 knew a kid carried out in a body bag about 6 years ago, and the family down the street's 20 year old kid OD'ed about the same time. You're just seeing what's been going on around you for a good long while now.

A lot of kids don't have good filters to distinguish the risks associated with experimentation, despite everything their parents have done to raise them right and their "good" friends do to try to keep them clean. Peers replace parents as primary influencers . . . and then you also have other kids' parents do their damnedest to persuade their kids' friends that it's OK to use weed, coke and psychedelics . . . you end up with the perfect path to addiction. I see it all the time.

Last edited:
It's not.....it's THAT bad. I'm not exaggerating and my math isn't wrong. The I-64 corridor between Hunington and Charleston, West Virginia seems to be the hardest hit area. Google search it. Even Obama is involved. Heroin is killing more people in West Virginia than Cancer.
You are exaggerating and your math is wrong. Cancer is six times more likely to kill you in WV than ANY kind of drug.

Heroin's a problem, but you're still full of shit.

Almost EVERYTHING right now in Kosc Co. is heroin... Used to be a Wabash Co. problem (for some weird reason) but right now it's the BIG problem in Kosc Co. It, literally, came out of the blue...

What happened here?

F you Lance! Answer!

Reactions: Warison

What happened here?

Lost a family member to heroin just about a 11 months ago... She had only tried it for the first time 1 week before

Reactions: Warison
Lost a family member to heroin just about a 11 months ago... She had only tried it for the first time 1 week before
The inspiration for my OP, is a 25 yr old girl that had never smoked even cigarettes, not a drinker, never touched a drug in her life up until 6 months ago. He new boyfriend talked her into it. Now she's in the ER, parents are trying to get custody of the kid, and she lost her job and car .... and is begging for rehab.

In 6 months ?!?!?!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT