ADVERTISEMENT

Harris vs. Trump 2024

It was a refuge for my German ancestors in the 1870s
It was a refuge for my Irish ancestors in the 1830s and 1850s
It was a refuge for my English ancestors in the 1790s and 1810s

But they all had white skin.

Nevermind!
I will strike you a deal. Remove any and all financial assistance to refugees and asylum seekers, do away with social security and Medicare (like it was when your ancestors came here). And then we can throw the border wide open to whoever would like to come.

Haitians are absolutely germane. Their temporary legal status is as misguided as those who cross the border illegally and say the magic words “Asylum” and are then released into the country. Or even those who go to a point of entry and say the magic words.

We’ve imported 10% of the population of Haiti. Why?

Is the U.S. nothing more than one large refugee camp or a nation?
Do you just make up your stats? The population of Haiti is about 12 million and the total people here under the Temporary Protected Status program is less than 864 thousand, and they're not all Haitians. They're not even the majority. They're between 200 and 300 thousand. The program started in 1990 and has continued to present day. One group we're bringing in under the program are Afghans that assisted us there (interpreters and other assistance). Surely, we should bring them in because we owe them. I hope the two interpreters I worked with during my short time in country got here. Bottom line is that this program is totally unrelated to illegal immigration. If we want to end TPS, Congress will have to do it. In the grand scheme of things, they're here legally and only a fraction of those coming here illegally. That's why we should focus on illegal immigration first.

Last edited:
Haitians are absolutely germane.

IMG-0055.jpg

Wrong. There was a brief response bias after Trump annihilated him in the debate. They would've come back to Biden before the election. No one believes Canadian Indian Californian Kamala would outperform Scranton Joe. Meanwhile...

Your Lord T was beaten by Slow Joe Biden in both 2020 debates per 60+ percent of Americans who watched them. You need to revise history so that it fits in your alternate reality. Trump lost to Harris too and is afraid of a rematch.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people are operating on the assumption that Trump will once again outperform his polls. He could - without question.

But I don’t know if that’s any more likely than Trump underperforming his polls…or the polls being more or less in line with the results.

It is true that Trump is polling significantly better than he did in 2020 - nationally and in the battleground states.
People often make the mistake of assuming the polls behave the same every cycle. They don't. Pollsters adjust their methods in response to their misses. As a result a poll that was D+1 four years ago might be R+1 now. We just won't know until the election.

All we can say for sure from the polls is that it is close.

Do you just make up your stats? The population of Haiti is about 12 million and the total people here under the Temporary Protected Status program is less than 864 thousand, and they're not all Haitians. They're not even the majority. They're between 200 and 300 thousand. The program started in 1990 and has continued to present day. One group we're bringing in under the program are Afghans that assisted us there (interpreters and other assistance). Surely, we should bring them in because we owe them. I hope the two interpreters I worked with during my short time in country got here. Bottom line is that this program is totally unrelated to illegal immigration. If we want to end TPS, Congress will have to do it. In the grand scheme of things, they're here legally and only a fraction of those coming here illegally. That's why we should focus on illegal immigration first.
My mistake. It’s 5% of the population of Haiti this administration has imported. 1.2 million Haitian's in country which is the 10% figure I was thinking of. Temporary protected status isn’t the only source my friend. This administration will bastardize our immigration system using all levers available.

Wrong. There was a brief response bias after Trump annihilated him in the debate. They would've come back to Biden before the election. No one believes Canadian Indian Californian Kamala would outperform Scranton Joe. Meanwhile...

I'm not sure if it's you posting all the johnny maga tweets, but I'm beginning to think whoever runs that account is a complete moron. MSNBC asked 4 people if they were voting for Kamala Harris and none of them said they were. Well I'll be damned.

Little known fact in Michigan: If you get four people in one room to come to a consensus, it's irrevocable law that whatever they agree on is a 100% predictor of the future and cannot be reversed.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
My mistake. It’s 5% of the population of Haiti this administration has imported. 1.2 million Haitian's in country which is the 10% figure I was thinking of. Temporary protected status isn’t the only source my friend. This administration will bastardize our immigration system using all levers available.

So now you're pointing to someone else that may be making it up and misrepresent that. He said 500,000 and that's probably dubious. Do you believe everything you see without checking sources if it happens to support (partially, maybe) whatever point you're trying to make? There are only 200-300 thousand Haitians here under TPS.

I'm not sure if it's you posting all the johnny maga tweets, but I'm beginning to think whoever runs that account is a complete moron. MSNBC asked 4 people if they were voting for Kamala Harris and none of them said they were. Well I'll be damned.

Little known fact in Michigan: If you get four people in one room to come to a consensus, it's irrevocable law that whatever they agree on is a 100% predictor of the future and cannot be reversed.
Johnny MAGA is a complete moron and wrong 95 percent of the time. Dbm isn't smart enough to be a moron like Johnny so he thinks Johnny is a genius.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
So now you're pointing to someone else that is making it up and misrepresent that. He said 500,000 and that's probably dubious. Do you believe everything you see without checking sources if it happens to support (partially, maybe) whatever point you're trying to make? There are only 200-300 thousand Haitians here under TPS.
Someone else being the former Senior Adviser to the President on immigration and architect of much of the Trump administration border policy.

Yes I believe everything I read from government officials who work on immigration for a living.

Dolt.

Well, not "no one." Because I believe that Kamala Harris is going to outperform what Biden would've done. Biden is barely sentient and it was creating a real problem for him. Almost every appearance led to some kind of unflattering clip that Republicans were amplifying everywhere. Of course, all we'll ever be able to do is speculate.

That said, I also believe that Whitmer or Shapiro would be doing better than Harris is. She was far from the Democrats' best choice. But, given how things played out, she was probably their only choice if they were going to move on from Biden.

The Dem PTBs really should've been pressuring Biden to get out of the race last year. It was evident enough by then that his condition was going to be a lead weight around his ankles. But the party line at that time was to just dig in, defend, gaslight, etc. Anybody who did say anything about changing horses (Axelrod was among the earliest, IIRC) was pilloried for it.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Someone else being the former Senior Adviser to the President on immigration and architect of much of the Trump administration border policy.

Yes I believe everything I read from government officials who work on immigration for a living.

Dolt.
No you don't. You believe only what fits with what you want to believe. Your misunderstood what Miller tweeted too, dolt.

Well, not "no one." Because I believe that Kamala Harris is going to outperform what Biden would've done. Biden is barely sentient and it was creating a real problem for him. Almost every appearance led to some kind of unflattering clip that Republicans were amplifying everywhere. Of course, all we'll ever be able to do is speculate.

That said, I also believe that Whitmer or Shapiro would be doing better than Harris is. She was far from the Democrats' best choice. But, given how things played out, she was probably their only choice if they were going to move on from Biden.

The Dem PTBs really should've been pressuring Biden to get out of the race last year. It was evident enough by then that his condition was going to be a lead weight around his ankles. But the party line at that time was to just dig in, defend, gaslight, etc. Anybody who did say anything about changing horses (Axelrod was among the earliest, IIRC) was pilloried for it.
Doesn't matter. See Fetterman.

You do know what you replied to flies in the face of the point you think you're trying to make, don't you?
He’s counting only those with the temporary protected status designation. Several posts earlier I clearly outlined that’s not the only source. All three of you keep up. You guys are tedious.

People often make the mistake of assuming the polls behave the same every cycle. They don't. Pollsters adjust their methods in response to their misses. As a result a poll that was D+1 four years ago might be R+1 now. We just won't know until the election.

All we can say for sure from the polls is that it is close.
I agree with that.

Every single professionally done model -- including 538's (which flipped ever so slightly to Trump's favor today for the first time since Harris got in the race -- 52-48) -- has the race very close, whoever they ultimately favor.

As 538 says in their footnotes on this update:

Still, a word of caution: You might be tempted to make a big deal about our forecast “flipping” to Trump, but it’s important to remember that a 52-in-100 chance for Trump is not all that different from a 58-in-100 chance for Harris — both are little better than a coin flip for the leading candidate. While Trump has undeniably gained some ground over the past couple weeks, a few good polls for Harris could easily put her back in the “lead” tomorrow. Our overall characterization of the race — that it’s a toss-up — remains unchanged.​
I can't find any fault in that paragraph. Trumpers are running around breathless about this -- without realizing that this particular model literally means that, in 100 simulations, Kamala Harris wins 48 of them. This is not a poll, or even a digest of polls. It's a forecast based on modeling.

He’s counting only those with the temporary protected status designation. Several posts earlier I clearly outlined that’s not the only source. All three of you keep up. You guys are tedious.
You linked dubious support (MAGA - and we know they're prone to dishonesty) and then you got what he said wrong. You failed to prove your point. I was focused on TPS and you threw in others and failed to prove it. I have no doubt there are other Haitians here under other status, and some who were here under TPS are citizens now, but no matter how you slice it, they're a tiny fraction of those here illegally coming over the southern border. We should be focusing on that first. You should be agreeing with me rather than making it into a fight you're not winning.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter. See Fetterman.
Fetterman had the benefit of running against Dr. Oz -- who was on that list of terrible Republican statewide candidates.

If Republican primary voters had nominated David McCormick, instead of just slavishly doing what Donald Trump told them to do, it would've been a very different race.

I don't know if McCormick is going to knock off Bob Casey. He's an underdog, but he has a fighting chance. And Casey is a 2-term incumbent, and the son and namesake of a popular former governor.

We can't say for sure he would've beaten Fetterman, of course. But I think he at least would've run stronger than Oz.

I hate to rag on our homey Mark Cuban but Mark doesn't know crap about the border. He is saying after some adjustments there are fewer border crossings now than a few years ago. Perhaps the foot traffic has slowed a little but if you add in the plane loads flying over the border brought in by Biden-Harris, it has not decreased. Ask Springfield, Ohio and other communities how that is working out.
So does "recruit" equate to stupid? Nobody flew or bussed anybody into Springfield. Hatians have been coming to the US with protected status based on natural disasters (earthquake) and political unrest since at least 1990...

"Congress created Temporary Protected Status (TPS) in the Immigration Act of 1990. It is a temporary immigration status provided to nationals of specifically designated countries that are confronting an ongoing armed conflict, environmental disaster, or extraordinary and temporary conditions."

More Haitians (500,000) live in FL than any other state, and most if not all emigrated to the state under GOP Governors. Most of the Hatians in Springfield are people that were already living elsewhere in the US and came to Springfield because of a renewal of industry and economic growth.. The only connection Biden/Harris have to the influx of Haitians to Red State, Red County and Red City Springfield is that bipartisan legislation championed by Biden/Harris from 2021-2022 paved the way for the economic renewal and job growth in Springfield...

Business owners and officials in Springfield (likely Republican) welcomed the Haitians because they needed workers and Springfield no longer had the acapacity to provide the number of quality employees they needed for their businesses. The Hatians are protected status (legal) immigrants many of whom arrived in FL via boat or plane at some point during the past deacde or so, including the Trump years.

No idea why you'd think they'd sacrifice everything they have, spend thousands of dollars to go out of their way to Mexico and risk their lives to cross the hostile terrain of the Southern border? Flights from Haiti to FL are about 2-3 hrs and cost about $113 on Spirit,JetBlue,American and others...

Are you geographically challenged? Do you not know that Haiti is East of Cuba and the Bahamas, not somewhere in Central America like Honduras or El Salvador?

So because Harris went to high school in Canada now she's "Canadian"? Did you spend the 7 yrs you were in high school anywhere else but Indiana? Have you ever spent any time living outside of Indiana for 3 or 4 years?

She went to Howard as an undergrad? Does that make her a Washingtonian?

Your mistake is swallowing any false claims Miller makes. He's talking total immigrants, not Haitians.

How in the world could they have imported 1.2 million when 2024 census records show 852,000 Haitian immigrants in the US, and even in 2020 there were over 400,000. And you think none of those 400,000 came to the US under Trump?

You sure do have your xenophobe flag flying today...

That story is of a theme with my contention that Republican politicians -- all mainstream politicians, really...but Republicans in particular -- are more to blame than anybody else for Donald Trump's ascendancy.

It's not merely that they were soft and easy to break (I read as far as I could in the story) -- it's that they had a very tenuous and frail relationship with the electorate. To my ears, they repeatedly campaigned on certain themes that were appealing to voters...and governed in a way that didn't do more than give lip service to it. That kind of MO is simply unsustainable. Voters will eventually catch on to the ruse and flip on you.

And I think that's what happened here.

Mac Stipanovich was a Republican operative in Florida -- who is now among the Never Trumper group of former Republican operatives. He downright admitted this a couple years ago. And I gather that his tone was kind of boastful....as if he was very proud of having made fools of these voters.

Screenshot-2024-10-18-161437.png

I don't know whether or not he has any regrets about this. But it doesn't really matter: the point is that this kind of willful deceit led us right to the point we are now.

Reactions: cosmickid
A Republican sharing “The Atlantic”.
Your mistake is swallowing any false claims Miller makes. He's talking total immigrants, not Haitians.

How in the world could they have imported 1.2 million when 2024 census records show 852,000 Haitian immigrants in the US, and even in 2020 there were over 400,000. And you think none of those 400,000 came to the US under Trump?

You sure do have your xenophobe flag flying today...
He’s talking Haitians. Click in. And citing CBP. You and @Aloha Hoosier are dead wrong on this,

Below are some basic socio-demographic statistics:

• The Census Bureau’s smaller, but more up-to-date, Current Population Survey (CPS) shows 852,000 Haitian immigrants in the country in February 2024, more than triple the number in 1990 and double the number in 2000.
  • The Census Bureau’s much larger American Community Survey (ACS) shows 727,000 Haitian immigrants (legal and illegal) in the United States in July 2022, up from 596,000 in 2010, 409,000 in 2000 and 224,000 in 1990.2
  • The top states of Haitian immigrant settlement based on the 2022 ACS are Florida (369,000, 51 percent); New York (113,000, 16 percent); Massachusetts (63,000, 9 percent); New Jersey (46,000; 6 percent); Georgia (28,000, 4 percent); and Connecticut (14,000, 2 percent). (2022 ACS)
  • In February 2024, there were 689,000 U.S.-born Americans who have at least one parent born in Haiti. A total of 1.5 million people living in the United States were either born in the Caribbean country, or have a parent born there. (February 2024 CPS)
  • Of the 852,000 foreign-born Haitians in the United States in 2024, 68.7 percent were naturalized U.S. citizens in February 2024; this compares to 49.5 percent for the overall foreign-born population. (February 2024 CPS)
  • Between 2010 and 2022, 235,350 Haitians were given green cards (permanent residence). These figures do not include those who entered on a long-term, temporary basis such as guestworkers and foreign students, nor does it include short-term visitors like tourists.3
  • Of those given permanent residence, 215,668 (92 percent) were admitted under family-based immigration (immediate relatives of U.S. citizens or family sponsored preferences).
  • Of Haitian immigrants ages 25 to 64, 17.1 percent have not graduated from high school, 30.3 percent have only a high school degree, 30 percent have some college, and 22.6 percent have at least a college degree. This compares to 6.6 percent, 25.4 percent, 30.4 percent, and 37.6 percent for U.S.-born Americans. (2022 ACS)
  • In 2022, 36.2 percent of Haitian immigrants and their young children (under 18) lived in or near poverty (<200 percent of the poverty threshold). This compared to 25.5 percent of U.S.-born Americans.4 (2023 ASEC CPS)
  • Of households headed by Haitian immigrants, 52.7 percent use at least one major welfare program. For households headed by native-born Americans it is 28.4 percent.5 (2023 ASEC CPS)
  • The share of Haitian immigrant households that are in owner-occupied housing was 48 percent in 2022. For households headed by the U.S.-born it was 67 percent. (2022 ACS)

sounds like at most about 200K came in during the current administration

200,000 / 12,000,000 = 1.67%

Last edited:
Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
That story is of a theme with my contention that Republican politicians -- all mainstream politicians, really...but Republicans in particular -- are more to blame than anybody else for Donald Trump's ascendancy.

It's not merely that they were soft and easy to break (I read as far as I could in the story) -- it's that they had a very tenuous and frail relationship with the electorate. To my ears, they repeatedly campaigned on certain themes that were appealing to voters...and governed in a way that didn't do more than give lip service to it. That kind of MO is simply unsustainable. Voters will eventually catch on to the ruse and flip on you.

And I think that's what happened here.

Mac Stipanovich was a Republican operative in Florida -- who is now among the Never Trumper group of former Republican operatives. He downright admitted this a couple years ago. And I gather that his tone was kind of boastful....as if he was very proud of having made fools of these voters.

I don't know whether or not he has any regrets about this. But it doesn't really matter: the point is that this kind of willful deceit led us right to the point we are now.

I would add to this that, if Kamala Harris loses this election, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see something similar happen to the Democrats. It's easy to forget that Bernie Sanders seemed to have a very real lead in the primary just 4 years ago. It wasn't until South Carolina (the 4th contest) that James Clyburn consolidated support around Joe Biden.

Here's how Biden had fared in the first 3 contests:

Iowa (caucus) - Biden came in 4th behind Sanders, Buttigieg, and Warren -- with 13.7% of votes cast.
New Hampshire (primary) - Biden came in 5th behind Sanders, Buttigieg, Klobuchar, and Warren -- with 8.4%.
Nevada (caucus) - Biden came in 2nd behind Sanders -- with 18.9% of votes cast.

And then he won 48% of the vote in South Carolina (Bernie was 2nd with 19.8%), mostly at the expense of the non-Sanders candidates.

Sanders continued performing well throughout the rest of the contests, although it soon became apparent that Biden would win the nomination. All told, Sanders got 26% of the votes nationwide.

Now, I'm not equating Trump to Sanders. But I would compare them in the sense that he would also represent a significant departure from the Dem party's norm. And I think Clyburn's action (along with actions by the DNC in 2016 to boost Hillary against Sanders) shows that the Dem PTBs realize this, too.

Could Dems be in store for their own "Tea Party" type uprising if Harris goes on to lose this election? If she wins, I think it's probably a moot question.

You mean you don't have an account with "The Atlantic" like other die-hard Republicans? 😄
I don't have an account, but when there's something in it that's interesting and I can read it for free, I'll give it a go. Do you isolate yourself from all uncomfortable thought, ideas and information. When I read these things, it's not like I go, "God Damn, screw it, I'm a Democrat now." Don't isolate yourself and you'll be better informed. Or maybe you're weak minded enough to turn into a brain washed Democrat.

You shut yourself off from all sources you're always likely to be misinformed or half-informed. You clearly are on many, many subjects.
That’s not a source. It’s the leftest of left wing propaganda. What you just did is akin to a progressive sharing Infowars or Breitbart to make their point.

That’s not a source. It’s the leftest of left wing propaganda. What you just did is akin to a progressive sharing Infowars or Breitbart to make their point.
You must be a weak-minded kind of guy.

By the way, during the Bush years, Infowars was popular among the moonbats because of all the anti-Republican propaganda and Truther crap.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT