ADVERTISEMENT

Haralson canceling Kansas visit

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Moving up Purdue visit to this next weekend.

Sounding like he’s close to committing somewhere.

Where was he this weekend? I’m not following recruiting as closely this cycle.

Sounds like PU is still in the running.
Since he didn't cancel the visit to Purdue, obviously you can't count them out. But it sure doesn't seem like they're a serious contender.

Logic leads to something being decided already, or else why cancel any of the remaining visits?

Since he didn't cancel the visit to Purdue, obviously you can't count them out. But it sure doesn't seem like they're a serious contender.

Logic leads to something being decided already, or else why cancel any of the remaining visits?
I'd probably tell my child to take visits, but there could be several reasons. Maybe Self has cooled on him, maybe he doesn't want to play with D Peterson, heck, maybe he just doesn't want to be in KS.

Reactions: Lucy01
He's not going to Purdue... the visit is more because his mom is a Purdue graduate and his family respects the program.

I'd probably tell my child to take visits, but there could be several reasons. Maybe Self has cooled on him, maybe he doesn't want to play with D Peterson, heck, maybe he just doesn't want to be in KS.
Man, hadn't thought of the potential Peterson/Haralson combo...yikes. Glad that didn't happen...or isn't looking like it'll happen.

Obviously anything is possible... I wouldn't think Self would cool on a 5star kid like Haralson, but maybe? The other 2 things have been known for while, I would have thought if they were deciding factors, he'd have eliminated Kansas before now?

Like I said, could be anything...but odds seem to be favoring that his mind in very recent weeks has been made up. Most seem confident its between IU and MSU.

A possible reason that would support IU being the choice... He had gotten to the point where IU and MSU were the clear cut leaders, and the last bit of information needed was the MSU visit. The visit didn't make MSU the leader, or the choice, so he now knows IU is gonna be the choice.

Obviously the other side is similar thoughts leading up to the visit as above, but MSU blew him away, and he's decided on MSU.

Not sure why I'm pessimistic on this one...LaLu maybe? My guess is its MSU.

• Sad
Reactions: Tru2Irish
if they respect the program but have no intent, they should cancel.
I doubt any of us know what's true on any of this. But I can 100% see Jalen, and his family, both keeping Purdue on his "list", AND taking the visit to WL, probably with his Mom... as a respectful and symbolic gesture to his mom and to Purdue. And it isn't hurting Purdue in any way. They know where they stand, its not like they're holding up other recruits, or missing out on any one else waiting for Haralson to choose. Getting a 5 star kid like Haralson on campus is important for them too, whether he's coming there or not.

I doubt any of us know what's true on any of this. But I can 100% see Jalen, and his family, both keeping Purdue on his "list", AND taking the visit to WL, probably with his Mom... as a respectful and symbolic gesture to his mom and to Purdue. And it isn't hurting Purdue in any way. They know where they stand, its not like they're holding up other recruits, or missing out on any one else waiting for Haralson to choose. Getting a 5 star kid like Haralson on campus is important for them too, whether he's coming there or not.
humbly disagree.
these kids and their families should not take OVs if they have absolutely no intent on accepting an offer. for many reasons.
obviously, this happens.
im not ready to discount PU if they go forward with the visit.

humbly disagree.
these kids and their families should not take OVs if they have absolutely no intent on accepting an offer. for many reasons.
obviously, this happens.
and you shouldn't drive above the speed limit, but I'll bet you do.

With NIL out there, kids are going to be taking visits just to keep schools honest and putting out there "best offer". I can't even say I think it's wrong, because at the worst it's giving kids exposure to other schools, systems and staffs. I know MJ was sold on Converse (don't think it was Adidas) and his Mom basically forced him to take the visit to Nike "as a courtesy" (and to have other offers), and I know he's glad he did. I wouldn't discount anyone until he announces, but I don't think it's at all wrong for him to visit PU or KU, even if he doesn't plan to go there, and I think they're OK with that too ("so you're telling me there's a chance?").

humbly disagree.
obviously, this happens.
Case by case. And with their Purdue ties...I don't see any issues with it. And I wouldn't imagine that Painter or Purdue would either. Even knowing they're likely not getting him, getting a 5 star kid on campus like Haralson, brings positives with it.

And these visits aren't like the old days...Purdue's budget/time/structure...should be basically unlimited to effectively host someone like Haralson.

If nothing else, I'd use it as an opportunity for my team to practice hosting an elite level recruit...if I were Painter and his staff.

Case by case. And with their Purdue ties...I don't see any issues with it. And I wouldn't imagine that Painter or Purdue would either. Even knowing they're likely not getting him, getting a 5 star kid on campus like Haralson, brings positives with it.

And these visits aren't like the old days...Purdue's budget/time/structure...should be basically unlimited to effectively host someone like Haralson.

If nothing else, I'd use it as an opportunity for my team to practice hosting an elite level recruit...if I were Painter and his staff.
Bingo, this isn't the old days!

I have no idea if Painter thinks he's got a chance at Haralson RIGHT NOW or not, but I guarantee you he wants him to visit either way because he wants the kid to see what his program is about. Remember, there's a good chance many of these kids will end up elsewhere in a year or two, you don't want to burn that bridge as a coach. If you leave a really positive taste in the kids mouth, you might just pick him up later because of this visit.

Bingo, this isn't the old days!

I have no idea if Painter thinks he's got a chance at Haralson RIGHT NOW or not, but I guarantee you he wants him to visit either way because he wants the kid to see what his program is about. Remember, there's a good chance many of these kids will end up elsewhere in a year or two, you don't want to burn that bridge as a coach. If you leave a really positive taste in the kids mouth, you might just pick him up later because of this visit.
Hadn't thought of that angle...but yes, for sure, you're right on that.

Its kind of like staying in contact with younger HS kids after they've taken you off their lists. Recruiting no longer stops when kids graduate HS. For some programs, thats probably now when the recruiting effectively STARTS.

Different world nowadays. And most of it now leads to Haralson, AND Purdue, benefitting from his visit up there even if he has no current intention of going there.

Reactions: MTBRider22
humbly disagree.
obviously, this happens.
Purdue isn’t landing him.

Good post... and I do have some insight here. My son played with Jalen for 2 years and I know the family a bit. They were always high on Purdue and especially Matt. With that said, Purdue does things their way and guys who wait their turn get a shot over freshman. This is exactly what you (and I posted). No harm for anyone involved.

Good post... and I do have some insight here. My son played with Jalen for 2 years and I know the family a bit. They were always high on Purdue and especially Matt. With that said, Purdue does things their way and guys who wait their turn get a shot over freshman. This is exactly what you (and I posted). No harm for anyone involved.
Does Purdue ever just get beaten for recruits? Every time it's that the other guys (MSU) cheated, or Matt softened on them, or now that a 5 star liked PU (and especially Matt!), but Matt wouldn't change his ways and told him he had to wait his turn and so Jalen has to move on to his second choice?

Good thing every recruit and their brother wants to go to Purdue or you'd never get anybody!

Not sure I posted anything inferring that playing time for Haralson would be an issue at Purdue. Painter has played plenty of freshmen, quite a lot, when they're good enough. Smith, Loyer, Ivey...come to mind. Haralson most certainly would not sit behind any of the current Purdue players. He knows that, and so does Painter.

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT