ADVERTISEMENT

Woody's Goal is to Play Small Ball this Year...

Mike has a lot of control over achieving this "goal."

We won't really know until the season starts. I do think we'll play quite a bit differently than previous years.

He won't be able to help himself. Ballo and Malik will be on the floor together a lot. 3 point shooting still a massive concern. The floor is very high for this team. Ceiling not so much.

He won't be able to help himself. Ballo and Malik will be on the floor together a lot. 3 point shooting still a massive concern. The floor is very high for this team. Ceiling not so much.
Ceiling not so much? I think this team has a lot of pieces and at least the ingredients of a F4 type team. That's a pretty high ceiling in my book. The 2 major concerns to me are Ballo's health and coaching, but this is a much more complete and talented roster than last year, and than he's ever had, I believe. I know most will jump on shooting, which I think will be much improved, but I also don't think you have to be more than efficient on 3s. UCONN didn't live by the 3 ball, so it can be gameplanned around and we have a lot of pieces to do so.

Ceiling not so much? I think this team has a lot of pieces and at least the ingredients of a F4 type team. That's a pretty high ceiling in my book. The 2 major concerns to me are Ballo's health and coaching, but this is a much more complete and talented roster than last year, and than he's ever had, I believe. I know most will jump on shooting, which I think will be much improved, but I also don't think you have to be more than efficient on 3s. UCONN didn't live by the 3 ball, so it can be gameplanned around and we have a lot of pieces to do so.
Effort and execution needs to be consistently better. If the new players help with that, and/or if Woody figures out how to coach that in to this team, they'll be one of the better teams on the country by years end.

If not, for whatever reason, they'll probably look similar to his 22-23' team.

It's hard to know the ceiling of this team. They have a lot of talent and I have no idea how it will come together. Woody has not been very good here, but he's never had a backcourt like this, and it's possible he's learned from his mistakes (he was new to college basketball). This roster could be one he does well with and something like an E8/F4 is possible.

Of course Woody should do well with all the resources he gets.

Reporter: What is the hardest part of the transition to the Big 10, especially the physicality?
Ballo: Have you ever watched me play? I'm a tough guy.

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT