ADVERTISEMENT

Guards and recruiting

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
I know IU has McNeeley coming in next season to help with shooting. Newton should be available but has sat out an entire season so who knows what to expect. Doesn’t seem like IU has any other guards on the recruiting radar that can help next year. Obviously Woodson struck out big time in the transfer portal a year ago so I don’t see anyone coming via the portal. I wonder what the plan is????

I know IU has McNeeley coming in next season to help with shooting. Newton should be available but has sat out an entire season so who knows what to expect. Doesn’t seem like IU has any other guards on the recruiting radar that can help next year. Obviously Woodson struck out big time in the transfer portal a year ago so I don’t see anyone coming via the portal. I wonder what the plan is????
Davis is the only current guard on the recruiting board as of now.
Portal is an unknown until you see who is in it. Definitely a risky plan but maybe that’s the plan. I’m guessing we will need some frontcourt portal guys as well. We will lose Walker and Ware and potentially MM.

Reactions: Willdog7 and edub72
Davis is the only current guard on the recruiting board as of now.
Portal is an unknown until you see who is in it. Definitely a risky plan but maybe that’s the plan. I’m guessing we will need some frontcourt portal guys as well. We will lose Walker and Ware and potentially MM.
Not anymore. Sounds like Woodson didn't stay to watch his game last night after he watched somebody else in the same gym.

Reactions: edub72
CrimsonCast had an episode and they discussed this a bit. Basically said portal guards last year didn't want to come because the belief was that X and TG were pretty well set as starters. No idea if that's true, but that's what was said. Thought things would be different this year with X being gone and maybe a year where things didn't work great with that as your starting backcourt.

Reactions: Willdog7 and T.M.P.
The jokers that sit next to Woody must have the best jobs in college basketball. They clearly don't coach and it sure looks like their supposed area of expertise (recruiting) is limited to trying to snag a couple portal dudes. It's good to be Woody's bud.

The jokers that sit next to Woody must have the best jobs in college basketball. They clearly don't coach and it sure looks like their supposed area of expertise (recruiting) is limited to trying to snag a couple portal dudes. It's good to be

And their recruiting isn't even that great. But they didn't turn off cnn like fife did so they get to stay. It's obvious Woodson wants to be surrounded by yes men.

CrimsonCast had an episode and they discussed this a bit. Basically said portal guards last year didn't want to come because the belief was that X and TG were pretty well set as starters. No idea if that's true, but that's what was said. Thought things would be different this year with X being gone and maybe a year where things didn't work great with that as your starting backcourt.
I guess this could be true but I really struggle to believe quality portal guards were scared of a guy coming off a year long injury and a guy who should be a sixth man. Come on how do you not see plenty of minutes at a minimum and a chance to get more? Any good guard would think yea I can beat those guys. Doesn’t add up.

The jokers that sit next to Woody must have the best jobs in college basketball. They clearly don't coach and it sure looks like their supposed area of expertise (recruiting) is limited to trying to snag a couple portal dudes. It's good to be Woody's bud.
I think those jokers are going to be his downfall, much like Allen's later coordinator picks.

I guess this could be true but I really struggle to believe quality portal guards were scared of a guy coming off a year long injury and a guy who should be a sixth man. Come on how do you not see plenty of minutes at a minimum and a chance to get more? Any good guard would think yea I can beat those guys. Doesn’t add up.
If a portal guard was scared of Galloway then they weren't a very good guard to begin with. That whole argument just seems like an excuse

so far from the truth. Woody has shown he is loyal to a fault. It was common knowledge that it would be near impossible to start over X and Trey. Again, that is why Scoop left and that word got out to everyone.

And their recruiting isn't even that great. But they didn't turn off cnn like fife did so they get to stay. It's obvious Woodson wants to be surrounded by yes men.
Is this a joke? You think fife was fired for that? You get fired for cause and it’s because he shut off CNN?

so far from the truth. Woody has shown he is loyal to a fault. It was common knowledge that it would be near impossible to start over X and Trey. Again, that is why Scoop left and that word got out to everyone.
So we lost Bates cause Woodson said I am starting a guy coming off a foot injury no mater what. Woodson never ceases to amaze me this year. He won't get any portal guards this spring either cause cupps and Galloway will be back. Like you said the word is out now.

Reactions: ndhuntington
Maybe — there is plenty of PT for more than two guards. If true, Woody is an idiot to not try to upgrade and create competition for PT, even worse given how bad our guards are.

And why be loyal to X? What exactly has he done to earn this? 90mph down Walnut and then trying to frame someone else?

If that's the case don't overlook that it was said in light of Bates' performance in games given many opportunities.

Most people here thought that his leaving was the right move at the time for him and the roster.

Yeah there were reasons, and I'm glad to see him doing well at Ole Miss.

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
And why be loyal to X? What exactly has he done to earn this? 90mph down Walnut and then trying to frame someone else?
exactly! It’s not like he lead the team to the first tourney appearance of the decade or anything.

So we lost Bates cause Woodson said I am starting a guy coming off a foot injury no mater what. Woodson never ceases to amaze me this year. He won't get any portal guards this spring either cause cupps and Galloway will be back. Like you said the word is out now.
Ha. Yea. Sorry portal players, Gabe has the starting PG role I’m loyal to a fault and he is the new anointed one here at IU. Obviously Galloway is also grandfathered in to all the PT at SG.

Not trying to start problems. Maybe those portal guards chose not to come because of the way the program currently is. Youve got a couple of bigs who are good. X was supposed to be great. Galloway plays hard and shot 47% from 3 last season. You have 3 five stars on the team. Who in the BIg has more?
Maybe you can regain former status but it sure isn't for lack of talent.

Not trying to start problems. Maybe those portal guards chose not to come because of the way the program currently is. Youve got a couple of bigs who are good. X was supposed to be great. Galloway plays hard and shot 47% from 3 last season. You have 3 five stars on the team. Who in the BIg has more?
Recruiting talent to IU has never been an issue. Culture and coaching have

What’s crazy is since 2000 Isu has had 10 first rounders plus Bryant and TJD who were high second round and solid NBA players. I can’t imagine anyone besides OSU (11), MSU (10) or Michigan (12) being close to that

If that's the case don't overlook that it was said in light of Bates' performance in games given many opportunities.

Most people here thought that his leaving was the right move at the time for him and the roster.

Yeah there were reasons, and I'm glad to see him doing well at Ole Miss.
Yes because we thought Woodson would go get portal guards tp replace bates. Little did we know

So Bates is a point guard?

Yes because we thought Woodson would go get portal guards tp replace bates. Little did we know
So the possibilites are:

a) We didn't try to get any portal guards to replace Bates.

b) We tried, but they demanded a promise to start that Woodson would not give due to loyalty to his seniors.

c) We tried, but there weren't any proven good enough to promise that they would start ahead of X and Gallo.

d) Woodson was too busy shopping for cigars and bourbon and his assistants are just yes men who don't do any work, so nothing got done.

Are they going to think the same thing this spring if both Cupps and Galloway return?

Are they going to think the same thing this spring if both Cupps and Galloway return?
Yes Woodson is going to have trouble once again if his loyalty is really what they say it is. He didn't honestly go that great in the portal last year. Take away ware all he got was sparks and Walker. Two non starters.

So the possibilites are:

a) We didn't try to get any portal guards to replace Bates.

b) We tried, but they demanded a promise to start that Woodson would not give due to loyalty to his seniors.

c) We tried, but there weren't any proven good enough to promise that they would start ahead of X and Gallo.

d) Woodson was too busy shopping for cigars and bourbon and his assistants are just yes men who don't do any work, so nothing got done.
Combination of A and D.

I would think the exact opposite. If I was a proven dynamic playmaking guard in the portal, I would not be worrying about beating out Cupps and TG for playing time. Especially if I was a pg.
And if any 2 of the 3 of Ware, MM, and Malik were staying - I’d view it as a great opportunity. Of course, I still would have to be effectively recruited.

Reactions: Willdog7
I've got to believe that there's something in his contract that implies he's supposed to be the head basketball coach and do his best to field the best team he can collect, within the rules of course and which are few now, wouldn't you think?

He is well paid with more than ample resources for quality staff, travel, quality facilities. That he is more interested in tradition/convention/loyalty for two guys with absolutely no future playing pro ball anywhere, with one of the two being a recidivist f-up makes no sense and strikes as a breach of contract if he's not trying to get the best players, making necessary appearances to attract talent ... recruit.

If he isn't even willing to sell himself or IU by being at a big game for a player of interest or having his assistants do all the selling of him, and the program, and where they say MW thinks they fit and where they say how MW can further their pro-chances or help with a basketball related career.

That is a serious concern, and I would think you could make a case that it's intentional failure (albeit with noble cause you could argue, but still ... c'mon, that's not his job) to perform a contract.

I've got to believe that there's something in his contract that implies he's supposed to be the head basketball coach and do his best to field the best team he can collect, within the rules of course and which are few now, wouldn't you think?

He is well paid with more than ample resources for quality staff, travel, quality facilities. That he is more interested in tradition/convention/loyalty for two guys with absolutely no future playing pro ball anywhere, with one of the two being a recidivist f-up makes no sense and strikes as a breach of contract if he's not trying to get the best players, making necessary appearances to attract talent ... recruit.

If he isn't even willing to sell himself or IU by being at a big game for a player of interest or having his assistants do all the selling of him, and the program, and where they say MW thinks they fit and where they say how MW can further their pro-chances or help with a basketball related career.

That is a serious concern, and I would think you could make a case that it's intentional failure (albeit with noble cause you could argue, but still ... c'mon, that's not his job) to perform a contract.
Who says he was not at a "big game" for a player of interest? And where was he instead?

It’s not even about landing a great PG. Cupps is fine. We need 2 or 3 other scoring guards that shoot well and can defend and are ball hawks.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
It’s not even about landing a great PG. Cupps is fine. We need 2 or 3 other scoring guards that shoot well and can defend and are ball hawks.
Fine if you are OK with a game manager who won’t turn it over, but also will have a low assist rate and will be a below average scorer. Those kind of point guards don’t take you on tournament runs. I like Cupps, but at this point he does not show the skill set to be more than a good backup.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT