ADVERTISEMENT

Guards and recruiting

I guess this could be true but I really struggle to believe quality portal guards were scared of a guy coming off a year long injury and a guy who should be a sixth man. Come on how do you not see plenty of minutes at a minimum and a chance to get more? Any good guard would think yea I can beat those guys. Doesn’t add up.
So you're suggesting something darker, more sinister? I really hope top quality guards only stayed away because of their erroneous perception of "good X" and "better Galloway" firmly entrenched in our starting lineup. If not, then our problem lies deeper than we've delved up to this point. Is it time we start digging? Backhoe, any one?

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Hopefully he will improve enough to earn the backup pg spot. That’s open to question at this point.
Cupps is going to be fine. Just asked to do way too much too early. If it had been him at PU last year instead of Braden Smith, they'd have had similar #s, if he had the Big Canuck to throw it to downlow and their shooters around him. Smith is a better shooter and Cupps is a better defender. I give Smith a ton of credit. I wanted him at IU, but thought he'd be pretty limited, but he's worked as hard as anyone I've seen at improving over this season and has gotten more physical and improved his shooting to the point that he's a weapon now. Cupps is pass-first (and second) and doesn't ride out contact like Smith does/can. He'd be a great backup next year, and I think could even be fine as a starter with a year to work on things and if he gets surroundted with the right folks, and would be a very able starter as a junior and senior.

Next year will be Cupps, McNeeley, Mgbako, Reneau, Ware
You know Gallo's starting next season, regardless of who stays and who Woody brings in.

Moreover, there's no chance MM, Reneau, and Ware are all in Bloomington in '24-'25.

Reactions: bsmitty08
You know Gallo's starting next season, regardless of who stays and who Woody brings in.

Moreover, there's no chance MM, Reneau, and Ware are all in Bloomington in '24-'25.
You never know none are ready for prime time.

I guess this could be true but I really struggle to believe quality portal guards were scared of a guy coming off a year long injury and a guy who should be a sixth man. Come on how do you not see plenty of minutes at a minimum and a chance to get more? Any good guard would think yea I can beat those guys. Doesn’t add up.
I'd wonder if it's more to do with the style of offense Woody ran in his first two years, even if it was predicated on building around TJD. There was concern about an NBA style offense but no one knew it was going to be a 2002 NBA style...

Reactions: Tammany Hall
So you're suggesting something darker, more sinister? I really hope top quality guards only stayed away because of their erroneous perception of "good X" and "better Galloway" firmly entrenched in our starting lineup. If not, then our problem lies deeper than we've delved up to this point. Is it time we start digging? Backhoe, any one?
Ah. No. I think we just lost the recruitment for typical reasons such as they don’t like our playing style, or players, or culture, or staff, or NIL (NIL seems unlikely we’re top-5 or so). It’s hard for me to believe it’s playing time, though it could be I have to admit.

Ah. No. I think we just lost the recruitment for typical reasons such as they don’t like our playing style, or players, or culture, or staff, or NIL (NIL seems unlikely we’re top-5 or so). It’s hard for me to believe it’s playing time, though it could be I have to admit.
I remember it being said the new NIL ruling would be a "feather in our cap"...that is, advantageous to our particular program such that a return to dominance wouldn't be far behind. I think the single most thing ruining college basketball today is the transfer portal. A close second is NIL payments. Once time passes...all the old fogies die off, along with some others, the younger generation will have never known any other way and it won't seem like such a radical deal within this different reality that envelops them.

Next year will be Cupps, McNeeley, Mgbako, Reneau, Ware
Ware is 100% gone. Unless something drastic happens, he's a mid first rounder at this point.

And a 6'8 McNeeley at the 2? Yea, I want to see that ... probably not going to happen.

Reactions: kkott
Ware is 100% gone. Unless something drastic happens, he's a mid first rounder at this point.

And a 6'8 McNeeley at the 2? Yea, I want to see that ... probably not going to happen.
How do you know?, You Sir are not the coach.

How do you know?, You Sir are not the coach.
Well it's called reasoning, logic and experience ...

When a player is named first round in every draft projection, it's a good bet they are gone. "Unless" something drastic happens. See that means there "could" be an exception;.

And, after watching a lifetime of NCAA ball ... I can't recollect many 2 guards that were 6'8.

Like I said, "I want to see that" ... and the word "probably" both have meaning that should be considered. Neither were absolute statements.

fwiw - he does at times lineup as the 2 when MV goes with a bigger lineup, so it could happen. < notice the word "could" in that sentence please.. it has meaning as do all words. If words no longer mean what they mean, then why use them .. hard to communicate otherwise.

Well it's called reasoning, logic and experience ...

When a player is named first round in every draft projection, it's a good bet they are gone. "Unless" something drastic happens. See that means there "could" be an exception;.

And, after watching a lifetime of NCAA ball ... I can't recollect many 2 guards that were 6'8.

Like I said, "I want to see that" ... and the word "probably" both have meaning that should be considered. Neither were absolute statements.

fwiw - he does at times lineup as the 2 when MV goes with a bigger lineup, so it could happen. < notice the word "could" in that sentence please.. it has meaning as do all words. If words no longer mean what they mean, then why use them .. hard to communicate otherwise.
He Ware is not ready, yes he could go in the middle of the first round. One more year will do him good under CMW tutulage. He may look at CMW and see what coach did for TJD. Ware only has had 1 good year of showing, what he could do.

He is in the 20s in multiple mocks that I saw recently. As late as 29 in one and secound round in another. Certainly not 100% gone. Especially if he fades a little more.

Most guys like Ware will go the route of developing full-time in the league vs part-time at IU.

He might keep slipping in the draft, but he’s perfect for the NBA.

• Sad
Reactions: kkott and Willdog7
He Ware is not ready, yes he could go in the middle of the first round. One more year will do him good under CMW tutulage. He may look at CMW and see what coach did for TJD. Ware only has had 1 good year of showing, what he could do.
I agree, from the pov of are they actually ready instead of potentially ready, very few players are pro ready when drafted. TJD was. JHS wasn't. Things have changed though, players want the bag and they want it now..

The thing we need to watch is Mack. He went from projected first to off the charts. No doubt he'll enter ... if he's willing to go second round or undrafted is the question. He needs better court awareness, and to work on his handle. He's improved his awareness a bit the handle will take an off season of work. Malik may be in the same boat. No doubt he'll enter too .. just to test the waters...

Hopefully they come back .. a core of McNeeley, Mack and Malik is a good start... just add a decent PG and maybe a shooting guard that can actually shoot. Smaller lineup though no rim protector, unless Liam can play two, then everyone shifts left and we need a post and don't need a 2. Offensively probably, maybe? ... It's the defensive end that could/would stop him.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkott
Most guys like Ware will go the route of developing full-time in the league vs part-time at IU.

You don’t know that. It is not a no brainer. Getting criticism for lack of strength. We shall see.

He is in the 20s in multiple mocks that I saw recently. As late as 29 in one and secound round in another. Certainly not 100% gone. Especially if he fades a little more.
I only take one of the draft sites seriously and it's ESPN. The guy that does it is by far the best. He ran draftexpress for years, and because of his accuracy ESPN hired him.

And you're correct, he has slipped a bit, from 14 in Dec after preseason play, to 22nd currently.

fwiw - This years draft is considered very weak ..

Cupps is going to be fine. Just asked to do way too much too early. If it had been him at PU last year instead of Braden Smith, they'd have had similar #s, if he had the Big Canuck to throw it to downlow and their shooters around him. Smith is a better shooter and Cupps is a better defender. I give Smith a ton of credit. I wanted him at IU, but thought he'd be pretty limited, but he's worked as hard as anyone I've seen at improving over this season and has gotten more physical and improved his shooting to the point that he's a weapon now. Cupps is pass-first (and second) and doesn't ride out contact like Smith does/can. He'd be a great backup next year, and I think could even be fine as a starter with a year to work on things and if he gets surroundted with the right folks, and would be a very able starter as a junior and senior.
Your dreaming! Smith is being mentioned on some ALL-American teams, Cupps won't even make any mention on the ALL BT freshmen team. Smith came into Purdue last year injured and did even start practicing until the end of August. Was the starting PG from day one and drove the buss to BT & BTT championships playing one of toughest schedules in the country! Purdue was not favored to win the BT last year, IU was! Sorry, but Cupps has not shown any indication he would put up similar #s, even if he had a chance to be Smiths shoes! Oh, bye the way his defense is pretty average!

I disagree ,CMW is pretty good at developing big men. Thats why Queen is waiting. NBA you have to come ready or they send you to the g-league.

If you can go first round there is zero reason to stay with any college coach.

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
Your dreaming! Smith is being mentioned on some ALL-American teams, Cupps won't even make any mention on the ALL BT freshmen team. Smith came into Purdue last year injured and did even start practicing until the end of August. Was the starting PG from day one and drove the buss to BT & BTT championships playing one of toughest schedules in the country! Purdue was not favored to win the BT last year, IU was! Sorry, but Cupps has not shown any indication he would put up similar #s, even if he had a chance to be Smiths shoes! Oh, bye the way his defense is pretty average!
*You're

Reactions: Tammany Hall
No comparison of a soph Smith to a freshman Cupps. I'm saying if Cupps had gotten the minutes that Smith did last year AND had Edey to throw it to, he'd have had similar a/r #s and would have probably scored a little less, but I think he'd be a better shooter with PU's roster because he'd have gotten more open looks and been coached to take them. As I said, I think Smith improved as much as anyone from last year to this, and maybe he'll do it again, but next year without Edey I suspect his #s will take a hit. We'll see, he's surprised me twice, so maybe he'll make another jump next year, but I predict his looks and assists will get harder next year without the Big Canuck. I wasn't trying to take anything from Smith, I was replying to another IU fan, on an IU site, that said Cupps might not even be a good backup in future years.

No comparison of a soph Smith to a freshman Cupps. I'm saying if Cupps had gotten the minutes that Smith did last year AND had Edey to throw it to, he'd have had similar a/r #s and would have probably scored a little less, but I think he'd be a better shooter with PU's roster because he'd have gotten more open looks and been coached to take them. As I said, I think Smith improved as much as anyone from last year to this, and maybe he'll do it again, but next year without Edey I suspect his #s will take a hit. We'll see, he's surprised me twice, so maybe he'll make another jump next year, but I predict his looks and assists will get harder next year without the Big Canuck. I wasn't trying to take anything from Smith, I was replying to another IU fan, on an IU site, that said Cupps might not even be a good backup in future years.
You are really doing some heavy rationalizing. There are guys who see the court and are elite passers and guys who are not. Smith is an elite passer. And he has a natural way of penetrating to set up cutters and shooters. Cupps has none of that. He can get better, but most of what Smith has there isn’t coachable. You have it or you don’t. Yes, Smith gets easy assists because of Edey. But it’s an easy eye test to see the difference between the two. Smith also can get to the rim and finish on occasion. Cupps has none of that. And Smith is clearly a better 3 point shooter and has a nice pull up game especially off of screens. I’m the last person to compliment PU players, Cupps is not in Smith’s league. And I can’t see how he ever will be. Just be happy that Cupps could be a decent backup pg by year 3.

You are really doing some heavy rationalizing. There are guys who see the court and are elite passers and guys who are not. Smith is an elite passer. And he has a natural way of penetrating to set up cutters and shooters. Cupps has none of that. He can get better, but most of what Smith has there isn’t coachable. You have it or you don’t. Yes, Smith gets easy assists because of Edey. But it’s an easy eye test to see the difference between the two. Smith also can get to the rim and finish on occasion. Cupps has none of that. And Smith is clearly a better 3 point shooter and has a nice pull up game especially off of screens. I’m the last person to compliment PU players, Cupps is not in Smith’s league. And I can’t see how he ever will be. Just be happy that Cupps could be a decent backup pg by year 3.
Are you comparing a soph BS to a freshman GC? I'm talking about Smith last year. I think Smith was, and clearly is, a better shooter, and I think Cupps is clearly a better defender. I'd agree that Smith is a better distributor but I also think he gets the benefit of having a better and more complimentary system and the best post guy in the country. I could get 5 apg tossing it to Edey. As I said, Smith improved as much as anyone in the country. I also think his #s will take a dip next year when Edey is gone. Didn't you question if GC could even be a backup at this level?

Are you comparing a soph BS to a freshman GC? I'm talking about Smith last year. I think Smith was, and clearly is, a better shooter, and I think Cupps is clearly a better defender. I'd agree that Smith is a better distributor but I also think he gets the benefit of having a better and more complimentary system and the best post guy in the country. I could get 5 apg tossing it to Edey. As I said, Smith improved as much as anyone in the country. I also think his #s will take a dip next year when Edey is gone. Didn't you question if GC could even be a backup at this level?
IU has arguably the best big man posting duo in the Big. Yet Cupps averages 1.4 assists. That’s weak. It’s the eye test. Court vision like Michael Lewis. Smith has it. And he had it last year and every year in high school. Cupps doesn’t have it and you can’t teach it. If Cupps is our starting pg next yr - we are in trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT