ADVERTISEMENT

Great memories

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwjHwtfIoLnRAhVByoMKHaQECsYQwqsBCBYwAg&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7GEgXUttw7I&usg=AFQjCNEjLdAZ2ajx7ejDozwOzaCQbzJsrw

Really good memories. If Cam had someone like Tom Allen as D coordinator, IU would have contended for B10 champs during ARE's four years.

No doubt about it. A team that can run like IU did and shorten games yet score on a high percentage of possessions to go alongside our current defense......we would have to be one of the hardest teams in the B1G to face. Heck, the same could be said the year we had Coleman and Suds. Those ARE years sure were fun to watch.

does ARE start at QB on a KW coached team?

ha That's a great question. I feel like that would only happen is if he joined IU after ARE was a full time starter. Who knows. We'll know better when he starts someone in place of Barrett in week 1. :)

Without playing QB, ARE would not have come to IU. Seems to me we were the only major program that would allow him to play QB. Most wanted him for WR or DB, both of which he would have excelled at.

Its easy to remember those years fondly...however, reality was a bit different. Our lack of defense always put us behind the 8ball in the 4th quarter...forcing ARE to make poor decisions late in games.

You always new that last interception or goal line fumble was coming from him trying to do too much. Im a bit old school...I think you put your best athelete on defense if you can. ARE would have owned the backfield. He was just a wee bit too short to be a B10 QB...but his heart was 10 feet tall.

He was a warrior...incredible ability to change directions at full speed.

But man...did he take a beating for a skinny guy. His legs were about the same and Diamonts...vbg...but oh could he juke you out of your jock strap...

Reactions: raybo333
Without playing QB, ARE would not have come to IU. Seems to me we were the only major program that would allow him to play QB. Most wanted him for WR or DB, both of which he would have excelled at.

Its easy to remember those years fondly...however, reality was a bit different. Our lack of defense always put us behind the 8ball in the 4th quarter...forcing ARE to make poor decisions late in games.

You always new that last interception or goal line fumble was coming from him trying to do too much. Im a bit old school...I think you put your best athelete on defense if you can. ARE would have owned the backfield. He was just a wee bit too short to be a B10 QB...but his heart was 10 feet tall.

But man...did he take a beating for a skinny guy. His legs were about the same and Diamonts...vbg...but oh could he juke you out of your jock strap...

I seem to recall that he averaged taking 30 hits a game. Man he was fun to watch, the best overall Football player I have ever seen. He looked great when I saw him this fall but he has had some regrets due to head trauma.

Reactions: IUcolorado
Those many option plays he ran...the sweep would appear to be ending in a pile of three defenders bringing him down yet at the last nanosecond his arm would appear from the center of the pile and flip the ball out.

At first, I had a problem with your contention that he was somehow inadequate at a BIG QB. But, I looked up the numbers. ARE's QB rating was 115.1, Jay Rodgers -- his immediate predecessor -- had a 101.4 QB rating and Gibran Hamden -- his immediate successor -- had a 114.5 QB rating. Dave Schnell had a 123.6 QB rating, the highest for an IU QB since the end of the Corso era.

BTW: Just for fun, I checked Tom Brady (134.9 rating) and Drew Brees (132.5 rating).

So, IUColorado, you may have reached a fair conclusion. Well done, sir.

At first, I had a problem with your contention that he was somehow inadequate at a BIG QB. But, I looked up the numbers. ARE's QB rating was 115.1, Jay Rodgers -- his immediate predecessor -- had a 101.4 QB rating and Gibran Hamden -- his immediate successor -- had a 114.5 QB rating. Dave Schnell had a 123.6 QB rating, the highest for an IU QB since the end of the Corso era.

BTW: Just for fun, I checked Tom Brady (134.9 rating) and Drew Brees (132.5 rating).

Jay Rodgers played 1 year as a true Freshman before he was benched in favor of ARE. And ARE did red-shirt.

does ARE start at QB on a KW coached team?
Yes. Everyone had Tre penciled in as an athlete until CW put him at QB, and ARE was better coming in than Tre. Same for D. Hale, Chris Covington, and Zander. I think ARE beats out Sudfeld and Tre and starts.

Last edited:

Thanks, but dont get me wrong...I loved ARE at QB too. He was a wee bit too short and it hurt his field vision from the pocket. But rolling out, wow, he could kill defenses. He could make most any throw, and his numbers suffered from a lot of dropped balls, but he managed the game well, went through his progressions, hit you if you were open more times then not.

And when he'd pull the ball down and run, the entire stadium roared in amazement at what he could do with his feet.

I'll got out on a limb and say that if he had been our QB this last season, we'd have won 8 regular season games and our bowl game for a 9 win season. He would have been that "difference maker" we needed so badly.

But he would have been a 1st round pick at DB, and Pro Bowl later imo.

I used to go to practices back then, along with Bruce Strum, EZRyder and others from the site. ARE will always be my favorite IU QB.

If only we had a defense...he might have won the HT...oh well...hes a champ in my heart.

Jay Rodgers played 1 year as a true Freshman before he was benched in favor of ARE. And ARE did red-shirt.
Rodgers redshirted as a true freshman in 1995 and then played as a redshirt freshman in 1996, "sharing" the quarterback position with fifth year senior Chris Dittoe. Antwaan arrived in the Fall of 1997 and redshirted, assuming the starting duties in early 1998 which, at the conclusion of the season, prompted Rodgers to transfer to a 1-AA school for his final year.

Thanks, but dont get me wrong...I loved ARE at QB too. He was a wee bit too short and it hurt his field vision from the pocket. But rolling out, wow, he could kill defenses. He could make most any throw, and his numbers suffered from a lot of dropped balls, but he managed the game well, went through his progressions, hit you if you were open more times then not.

And when he'd pull the ball down and run, the entire stadium roared in amazement at what he could do with his feet.

I'll got out on a limb and say that if he had been our QB this last season, we'd have won 8 regular season games and our bowl game for a 9 win season. He would have been that "difference maker" we needed so badly.

But he would have been a 1st round pick at DB, and Pro Bowl later imo.

I used to go to practices back then, along with Bruce Strum, EZRyder and others from the site. ARE will always be my favorite IU QB.

If only we had a defense...he might have won the HT...oh well...hes a champ in my heart.

I recall going with friends to what I believe was an open practice scrimmage in Antwaan's first season of eligibility. It was on the old practice field near the soccer stadium. We could not believe what we saw. Never saw such footwork, such elusiveness. Our defenders grasped air, not ARE! We walked away mumbling the mantra "please don't get hurt" over and over. Amazingly, he hardly ever missed time, despite taking plenty of viscous hits. Besides us witnessing in amazement what he did as a runner, he was the best we've ever had with throws on the roll out. In other words, I second your sentiments, Colorado.

Yes. Everyone had Tre penciled in as an athlete until CW put him at QB, and ARE was better coming in than Tre. Same for D. Hale, Chris Covington, and Zander. I think ARE beats out Sudfeld and Tre and starts.

not sure who the "everyone" is you're referring to, that had Tre penciled in as "athlete".

i doubt Tre came here to play anything other than QB.

Reactions: DANC
Rodgers redshirted as a true freshman in 1995 and then played as a redshirt freshman in 1996, "sharing" the quarterback position with fifth year senior Chris Dittoe. Antwaan arrived in the Fall of 1997 and redshirted, assuming the starting duties in early 1998 which, at the conclusion of the season, prompted Rodgers to transfer to a 1-AA school for his final year.
Thanks for the correction. Jay had a decent Soph. year as starter. From the IU site:

Sophomore QB Jay Rodgers completed 58.2 percent of his passes in 1997 and threw for 2,156 yards, the fifth most passing yards in school history. Rodgers also had five 200-plus-yd. passing games and two 300-yd. passing games.

Thanks for the correction. Jay had a decent Soph. year as starter. From the IU site:

Sophomore QB Jay Rodgers completed 58.2 percent of his passes in 1997 and threw for 2,156 yards, the fifth most passing yards in school history. Rodgers also had five 200-plus-yd. passing games and two 300-yd. passing games.
Very good year. The perfect storm of a coaching change and a phenomenal incoming player doomed his career at IU, but his effort was always there.

Very good year. The perfect storm of a coaching change and a phenomenal incoming player doomed his career at IU, but his effort was always there.
Jay is one of the more interesting stories.

If I recall (and I may not, because it's from memory), but his Dad also coached Drew Brees in HS - the same one Jay attended. Jay also coached for Denver and now the Bears - as DL coach.
Good guy - it's too bad it didn't work out for him at IU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT