ADVERTISEMENT

SI FN Beat Writer Says …

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
Tom Allen should stop blaming his players.
“A bad coach blames his players before he blames himself. …

But blaming poor team performances on "execution" is the trademark of poor coaching. It's reflective of a lack of accountability. A good coach sees his players performing poorly and takes responsibility for the poor play. A good coach's instinct is that he and his staff need to be better and work to make the players better versions of themselves. …

If offensive coordinator Walt Bell's play calls are in fact not the biggest problem with Indiana and it really is the execution that is failing the team, then that means one of three teams:

1. Allen and Indiana did not recruit well enough over the past few years, and the team is not talented enough to be competitive in the Big Ten.
  2. The players Allen has brought to Bloomington have not been developed well enough to be quality, above-average Big Ten football players.
  3. The team does have enough talented players to compete, but those players do not bring the requisite focus to execute good, sound football on the field each Saturday. “
Perhaps a little of all 3

“The coaches who called the offenses and defenses of Indiana's very best teams — Kalen DeBoer and Kane Wommack — are tearing it up at Washington and South Alabama, respectively. Funny how the team executed way better when they were coaching in Bloomington, right?

I'm not going to scream this minute that Allen needs to step down or that Bell needs to be fired before we reach Sunday. But I will scream this: Stop blaming the players and their "execution." You have to have something better to say than that. “

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...hould-stop-blaming-players-for-poor-execution

Exhibit A: CTA Post Game Quotes
“We didn’t execute” … which was the truth … but not the best foot forward …

One said we had a good week of practice? Really?
D was … 10 yds per pass … 5.1 yds per carry … several explosive plays … 5 passing TDS …
let QB score on a scramble …No turnovers ... 20 fist downs … 44 pts.
O was … 5 yds per pass … 3 yds per rush … low 3rd down success … low completion% … 20 first downs … 17 pts.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...ana-football-44-17-loss-at-maryland-terrapins

They technically didn't let Taulia score on a scramble.
It was a read option where Carter WAY overcommitted to the RB.

That said, I really didn't like what Allen had to say in the post-game. It really was pretty much just, "We have to execute and play better" over and over again. The interesting thing is that during the week, I think in the Monday presser, Walt Bell specifically said that blaming execution was passing the buck, right after Tom Allen had spoken about the Akron game and blamed almost exclusively, guess what, execution.

You have to wonder if there's a real rift forming, and if there is, I actually agree with Walt in this regard. Sure, players have dropped passes. That's execution. Sure, the secondary has busted too many coverages, which is (at least partly) execution. The offensive line has honestly noticeably regressed from the Ohio State game, which is both alarming and an execution problem in pass pro. Jaylin has really made some poor decisions, and put the ball at risk, more than once on special teams, especially on punt returns. Those things are partially on the players.

BUT. The coaches couldn't adjust to stop a running QB who posed very little passing threat for an entire game last week. The coaches keep insisting upon failing concepts on offense, like the triple option and vanilla power runs (yesterday being a little bit of an exception for the latter), that the players run poorly and that key pieces, namely the QB and the O-Line are very poorly suited for. The team has come out of the locker room to start games dead three weeks in a row. NONE of those things are about execution. Those are coaching issues.

Last edited:

But blaming poor team performances on "execution" is the trademark of poor coaching. It's reflective of a lack of accountability. A good coach sees his players performing poorly and takes responsibility for the poor play. A good coach's instinct is that he and his staff need to be better and work to make the players better versions of themselves. …

If offensive coordinator Walt Bell's play calls are in fact not the biggest problem with Indiana and it really is the execution that is failing the team, then that means one of three teams:

1. Allen and Indiana did not recruit well enough over the past few years, and the team is not talented enough to be competitive in the Big Ten.
  2. The players Allen has brought to Bloomington have not been developed well enough to be quality, above-average Big Ten football players.
  3. The team does have enough talented players to compete, but those players do not bring the requisite focus to execute good, sound football on the field each Saturday. “

“The coaches who called the offenses and defenses of Indiana's very best teams — Kalen DeBoer and Kane Wommack — are tearing it up at Washington and South Alabama, respectively. Funny how the team executed way better when they were coaching in Bloomington, right?

I'm not going to scream this minute that Allen needs to step down or that Bell needs to be fired before we reach Sunday. But I will scream this: Stop blaming the players and their "execution." You have to have something better to say than that. “

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...hould-stop-blaming-players-for-poor-execution

D was … 10 yds per pass … 5.1 yds per carry … several explosive plays … 5 passing TDS …
O was … 5 yds per pass … 3 yds per rush … low 3rd down success … low completion% … 20 first downs … 17 pts.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...ana-football-44-17-loss-at-maryland-terrapins
1. We are relying heavily on players that did not have starting roles on their previous teams (Portal 101)
2. They have not been in Btown long enough to be developed in any meaningful way
3. Our play calling is putting them in a position to fail
4. Finger snapping reditions of the fight song after an embarassing win is not helping

Reactions: vesuvius13

teaching proper execution is the coaches responsibility

John McKay, former Tampa Bay coach, when asked, “What did you think of your team’s execution, coach?” replied, “I’m in favor of it.”

John McKay, former Tampa Bay coach, when asked, “What did you think of your team’s execution, coach?” replied, “I’m in favor of it.”
i think corso said, i'm not in favor of execution, how about life in prison".

Last edited:
Reactions: TomEric4756

#2 is the biggest issue. Zero development of the supposed best recruiting classes in school history. #2 will always make or break a program like IU which has no chance at bringing in elite talent.

Wonder if a guy like Jake Dickert at WSU would consider the job if we threw a boatload of $ at him given his midwestern roots and his program likely moving to the Mountain West. Pullman may be the biggest outpost in the Power 5 but he’s developing talent and winning.

Reactions: 76-1 and kmathum
1. We are relying heavily on players that did not have starting roles on their previous teams (Portal 101)
2. They have not been in Btown long enough to be developed in any meaningful way
3. Our play calling is putting them in a position to fail
4. Finger snapping reditions of the fight song after an embarassing win is not helping
We already know this. Stop!

teaching proper execution is the coaches responsibility
That is what coach Allen means not the players but coaches without naming them. If he means the players then I agree but I don't think that is what he meant.

I could go either way on this.

On one hand, generically saying "execution" is the issue just dumps it on the players. You're the coaches and you're supposed to teach them to execute.

On the other hand, you can't count on one hand how many touchdowns Walt Bell called the last two weeks that ended up as incompletions because of dropped passes or poorly thrown balls. THAT level of execution is 100% on the players. Like, what are they gonna say, "Coach forgot to remind me to catch the ball."

With that said, even if the offense executed Bell's play calls vs Maryland perfectly, the defense & special teams weren't doing enough to keep it competitive. The game he called SHOULD have been good for 30 competitive points if it had been executed properly. But the defense was a sieve out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT