ADVERTISEMENT

Goat's POLS Thread for Mature Adults

So conceding eh? No fat lady in sight. An obese turtle is present though.

They still think that just saying things makes them true.

relax stoll. as long as the pubs hold the senate this was a really good election. harris and the even scarier part of the left won't get a single thing of any moment done. pubs picked up more seats in the house sending a message that all the scary buzz words from the summer fell largely on deaf ears. the chief that has brought so much divisiveness and anxiety to the country is out and replaced by an old goat that'll have a calming hand and likely do very little. i'm sure he feels like he accomplished everything he needed to accomplish literally just by winning and outsting trump. everyone should be happy. we're poised to have a nice, quiet four years while we regroup.

I am more optimistic that bi-partisan progress will be made over the next four years:

Moderate democrats lit up their post-election caucus yesterday, a good sign the extreme portion of the party is going to be held in check internally not just due to the Republican Senate. I believe if that becomes a reality, moderate republicans can begin to work with the moderate Democrats.

-I think the economic policies we currently have will remain largely unchanged (they were working pre-covid). At some point, curbing the debt/deficit will need to be addressed via reduction in spending and likely a moderate tax increase (but that would likely be after mid-terms).

I think solidifying the independence, capabilities and trust of key federal departments the DOJ, CDC, FBI, etc will be a priority. As a gesture toward “healing/look forward” no legal pursuit of any current administration official should be pursued by the new administration.

Since it should be less controversial, reinstating EPA regulations on pollution tied to water contamination in North America (keeps away from the global warming debate in terms of air, could be middle ground)

Infrastructure bill (upgrading the US electric grid, highway/bridges/rail/rural internet)
-As part of this I would expect movement away from coal as energy source for the grid

I would expect a freeze on additional oil exploration / fracking (plenty of supply that can be provided by current sources), while allowing the market to continue to drive the move toward electric/hydrogen/etc.

I am concerned about your comment “4 years to regroup”. Not sure the Republicans “lost” in 2020, one could argue the party might be the healthiest it has been (voter demographics, etc). I hope the desire for red waves or blue waves diminishes over the next four years and productivity returns to politics. A blue wave would have been disastrous in 2020 as would the likely red-counter wave in 2022/2024. Having a single party control the legislative and executive branches is not healthy for the country under any circumstances, it sets the seeds for political “revenge”. The winning at all costs / revenge politics over the last 25 years has been counterproductive and going forward will be super dangerous. While our election cycles are every 2 & 4 years, the critical problems facing our nation involve 10-20+ year strategies/solutions, our government needs to be more consistent to combat those challenges. If we are on a political see-saw every 2-4 years, there isn’t enough trust/continuity to allow the country to flourish.

New Philadelphia numbers, Biden just took a 5,500 vote lead in Pennsylvania

tenor.gif

Reactions: sglowrider
I am more optimistic that bi-partisan progress will be made over the next four years:

Moderate democrats lit up their post-election caucus yesterday, a good sign the extreme portion of the party is going to be held in check internally not just due to the Republican Senate. I believe if that becomes a reality, moderate republicans can begin to work with the moderate Democrats.

-I think the economic policies we currently have will remain largely unchanged (they were working pre-covid). At some point, curbing the debt/deficit will need to be addressed via reduction in spending and likely a moderate tax increase (but that would likely be after mid-terms).

I think solidifying the independence, capabilities and trust of key federal departments the DOJ, CDC, FBI, etc will be a priority. As a gesture toward “healing/look forward” no legal pursuit of any current administration official should be pursued by the new administration.

Since it should be less controversial, reinstating EPA regulations on pollution tied to water contamination in North America (keeps away from the global warming debate in terms of air, could be middle ground)

Infrastructure bill (upgrading the US electric grid, highway/bridges/rail/rural internet)
-As part of this I would expect movement away from coal as energy source for the grid

I would expect a freeze on additional oil exploration / fracking (plenty of supply that can be provided by current sources), while allowing the market to continue to drive the move toward electric/hydrogen/etc.

I am concerned about your comment “4 years to regroup”. Not sure the Republicans “lost” in 2020, one could argue the party might be the healthiest it has been (voter demographics, etc). I hope the desire for red waves or blue waves diminishes over the next four years and productivity returns to politics. A blue wave would have been disastrous in 2020 as would the likely red-counter wave in 2022/2024. Having a single party control the legislative and executive branches is not healthy for the country under any circumstances, it sets the seeds for political “revenge”. The winning at all costs / revenge politics over the last 25 years has been counterproductive and going forward will be super dangerous. While our election cycles are every 2 & 4 years, the critical problems facing our nation involve 10-20+ year strategies/solutions, our government needs to be more consistent to combat those challenges. If we are on a political see-saw every 2-4 years, there isn’t enough trust/continuity to allow the country to flourish.
agree with most of what you write but i don't know about the party being the healthiest etc. trump was a rock star. love him, hate him, or in between the guy was a rock star that galvanized people. remember he beat all the pubs in 2016; won the election; and pulled 70 mil in this time. what other repub is going to do same? for whatever reason we are a country that likes big personalities and celebrity worship (to my dismay). i think the healthy nature of the party might be illusory and in reality it was the trump factor

agree with most of what you write but i don't know about the party being the healthiest etc. trump was a rock star. love him, hate him, or in between the guy was a rock star that galvanized people. remember he beat all the pubs in 2016; won the election; and pulled 70 mil in this time. what other repub is going to do same? for whatever reason we are a country that likes big personalities and celebrity worship (to my dismay). i think the healthy nature of the party might be illusory and in reality it was the trump factor

His ego will ensure that he stays the kingmaker in the interim until his run in 2024.

Trump TV will be the platform to earn big bucks at $4-5 per month from the potential 70million subs....and to use it as the unofficial virtual opposition party and the vehicle for his re-election 2024 campaign.

The GOP leadership will be very concerned about the siphoning of voters and will be very aware of being primaried.

His ego will ensure that he stays the kingmaker in the interim until his run in 2024.

Trump TV will be the platform to earn big bucks at $4-5 per month from the potential 70million subs....and to use it as the unofficial virtual opposition party and the vehicle for his re-election 2024 campaign.

The GOP leadership will be very concerned about the siphoning of voters and will be very aware of being primaried.
Could be but much could happen health wise as he goes deeper into his 70s. He’s hardly the image of fitness. Just imagine his gout alone lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Harry Hondo
largely by playing video of Trump talking, showing his deranged tweets, and fact-checking about 25,000 lies

For whatever reason, Trump lied about things he had no need to lie about. Like the size of the inauguration crowd. The press called him out, he got angry. The press made mistakes, no doubt. But for the most part, they were doing legitimate fact-checking. I hope they fact-check Biden. And if Biden is smart, he won't take it personally and doctor inauguration photos or hurricane tracks.

When the pitcher yells at the umpire after several pitches that go over the batter's head, it becomes harder to take them seriously when they complain about the pitch on the corner. Trump didn't learn that. I am positive he had some legitimate complaints but they got drowned out in the painfully obvious nonsense.

You think of all the need out there and all the money associated with all of these races and it’s gut-wrenching. Politicians talking about helping the poor yet spending over a hundred million dollars so they themselves can have a job. That’s more than a big city United way raises in a year. All the people that money touches.

But to donate to a legal fund to fund frivolous lawsuits. As opposed to all the worthy places to put money. vaccine research. Food banks. Ugh. I’m ready for 2021.
Remember -- New Year's Day next year is not until Jan. 20, 2021.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Was just thinking... Jimmy Carter and Donald Trump.

Couldn't find two more polar opposite characters. But the only thing they have in common is being one-term presidents. 😕

Reactions: Fro
I'm just happy Dr. Fauci will be saved to fight COVID-19 and future potential COVIDS, and perhaps most importantly, the climate will be put back on the front burner.

No more science denying!
Yuck. Now you guys will see how little the president will make a difference. Hopefully we get a vaccine to make the lockdown bs cries moot

That would really require a Constitutional Amendment. Even if it doesn't favor one party over the other, I think we're long past the point where Constitutional Amendments are politically feasible.
Maybe an amendment would not be needed, just a statute.

An amendment was needed to change how senators were elected because the Constitution already had a specific provision controlling the election of senators.

Yuck. Now you guys will see how little the president will make a difference. Hopefully we get a vaccine to make the lockdown bs cries moot
there are no lockdown cries

The only time there ever will be lockdown cries is when 60% of the country refuses to wear masks, socially distance, or avoid super-spreader events, and thus we are overwhelmed with disease

Was just thinking... Jimmy Carter and Donald Trump.

Couldn't find two more polar opposite characters. But the only thing they have in common is being one-term presidents. 😕

I'm reminded of the SNL sketch in Dec 1992/Jan 1993 of Dana Carvey's HW Bush going "I'm a Jimmy Carter!" and crying and being consoled by Hartman's Bill Clinton.

We’ll see....
If/when 200,000+ people in then USA are infected per day and 2,000+ per day are dying, while field hospitals are being constructed to triage the dying, all simply because of rampant cult-like behavior,

actions that you 100% didn't want to take, that you wanted to prevent by making common sense common, may indeed be required as a last resort.

I hope not. It would be a consequence of uncontrolled Trumpish ignorance.

Carter is an amazing person, was an awful president, and has been a fantastic citizen as an ex-president.

Trump is an awful person, is a more awful president, and I expect him to be even a more awful citizen as an ex-president.
All the former presidents look at Mr. Mango like he's an animated dog turd. Like you I can't imagine he will be a better ex-president since he's been an awful life form all his life.

Trump didn't get anywhere close to what he needed in the new Maricopa batch. Running out of ballots (and I believe these will get more Dem-leaning as we go).

The Nevada update today will slam the door on that state completely.

Reactions: BCCHoosier
If you’re in the Bernie/AOC wing of the democrat party I believe you want to destroy America. What they want is destroying America as it was built. I call that destroying America. You call it what you want.
That’s not what meant. Bad choice of words on my part. Don’t bother answering.

your post didn't seem all that easy to take wrong.

so what exactly did you mean?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT