ADVERTISEMENT

Goat, are you around?.....

I'm not goat, but here's what I do for a simple marinara, no measurments, just ad lib it...

I use canned crushed tomatoes as a base. I get carrots (I think the carrots add a little natural sweetness but don't really add carrot taste) onion and celery and process in a food processor until well processed. I don't want chunks. Saute some garlic in olive oil for a couple of minutes. Add the processed carrot/onion/celery and saute a minute or two. Then add the crushed tomatoes. For herbs I like simply fresh (and it must be fresh) basil. Cook awhile, then add a little red wine. Cook awhile longer then season with salt, and sugar (it can be bitter without a little sugar)...just a little at a time until you get the balance right.

That's it. Very fresh tasting marinara.

Last edited:
Yard work, bro.

I like Hank's recipe, but I would season it heavier. Basil is good for antipasta, but is weak as the primary flavor in the main course.

If you are looking to hide the fact it is vegetarian (so to speak), add some fennel seed. That spice will trick most American pallets into thinking they are eating sausage.

If you are looking to hide the fact it is vegetarian (so to speak), add some fennel seed. That spice will trick most American pallets into thinking they are eating sausage.

That's a really good idea.

Try Ketchup

I can help here. I used to make Macaroni and Ketchup as a kid. Here's what you do...

Slice up two hot dogs into ~1/2 inch discs and fry them up is a skillet with some Crisco shortening...that's that white stuff in the cans for you young kids.. Get the hot dogs good and brown on the outside, you want that crispy exterior. Cook the macaroni. No need to get it perfectly al dente...it's frikkin macaroni and ketchup. Just get it done. Oh, and put some chopped onion in the water while your cooking the macaroni.

So you drain the macaroni, then squirt the ketchup over it until the macaroni is saturated and enough excess ketchup to absorb to pile of granulated spices to come.. Then season it HEAVILY with chili powder, granulated garlic, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt. However much you'd think would be appropriate, double it, especially the cayenne. Then add more cayenne. Then add some more. Then stir in the hot dog chunks.

Dump into a bowl and eat it. If your mouth isn't burning by the end then you didn't make it hot enough.

This stuff is great...or it was 30 years ago the last time I had it.

I can help here. I used to make Macaroni and Ketchup as a kid. Here's what you do...

Slice up two hot dogs into ~1/2 inch discs and fry them up is a skillet with some Crisco shortening...that's that white stuff in the cans for you young kids.. Get the hot dogs good and brown on the outside, you want that crispy exterior. Cook the macaroni. No need to get it perfectly al dente...it's frikkin macaroni and ketchup. Just get it done. Oh, and put some chopped onion in the water while your cooking the macaroni.

So you drain the macaroni, then squirt the ketchup over it until the macaroni is saturated and enough excess ketchup to absorb to pile of granulated spices to come.. Then season it HEAVILY with chili powder, granulated garlic, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt. However much you'd think would be appropriate, double it, especially the cayenne. Then add more cayenne. Then add some more. Then stir in the hot dog chunks.

Dump into a bowl and eat it. If your mouth isn't burning by the end then you didn't make it hot enough.

So this really is an Indiana thing. Moops makes it sometimes.

I eat something else when he does.

Sweet Jesus Christ I just vomited.

Reactions: hoosierdug
I was going to get all drunk and buy a house for some random woman but I made Macaroni and Ketchup instead. Thanks be to Jesus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT